Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kindlestown & Kindlestown Lower

Options
  • 30-09-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

We have gone sale agreed in Kindlestown Lower in Greystones and have been receiving mixed feedback on the area. Has anyone any information on the area? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

TBH I woudlnt be a fan of the area at all, lots of the houses (not all) are quiet run down and in very bad condition etc, plus its a pretty busy main road. Also theres houses bulit behind houses the entire length of the road etc. its very run down and all over the place thats just my opinion- i walk it most evenings and not a fan - sorry

There are far nicer places to live in Greystones / Delgany

But to each their own!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

I wouldn't have thought run down was an accurate description , but the op would be aware of the condition of the other houses, good or bad,and obviously wasn't put off . I would know a number of families who have been living there all my lifetime and are I assume happy to be there. I certainly would have no problem living there if that's any help!
    I'm sure Pixbyjohn will be along shortly with his thoughts.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Kindlestown Lower has some of the loveliest streetscape characteristics of Greystones. They are old houses, and if yours was well-maintained, you'll have a nice house and be left delighted with its location and how accessible it is to all parts of Greystones.

I wouldn't be too concerned about the busy road as the houses are nicely set back from the road. Safety, if you have kids, would be my only concern.

There are nicer places to live in Greystones, but that comes with price tag :)

And yes, pixbyjohn will be along shortly for a full history lesson...

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The busy road would put me off other than that its grand it always strikes me as the sort of place where some architect type buys one of the old cottages and completely guts it to have the type of house they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

There is an architect living in one of those houses further up the road in Crowe Abbey....
    The road is indeed busy but to me the wide verge and wide footpath make it seem very safe when walking along there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

cocker5 wrote: »
    Also theres houses bulit behind houses the entire length of the road etc.There are far nicer places to live in Greystones / Delgany
    But to each their own!

;)
    15217381127_c237c11d6c_c.jpgKillincarrig Delgany area by pixbyjohn, on Flickr

Houses behind houses everywhere in Greystones and most towns in Ireland.
    2 run down/derelict houses in Crowabbey sold for over 200k each in the past 6 months.
    The road in front of Lower Kindlestown, Greystones is a very busy road especially in the mornings. I live in Crowabbey and have a half acre of garden at the back, to me its heaven.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Cerco

There appears to be an exodus from Kindlestown Lwr. Lots of auctioneer signs there. Is there some development planned there or are residents just taking the opportunity to move on?
    Perhaps a combination of both?
    Seems like a nice spot to me. Very convenient to facilities etc. triple glazing will keep out any traffic noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Cerco wrote: »
    There appears to be an exodus from Kindlestown Lwr. Lots of auctioneer signs there. Is there some development planned there or are residents just taking the opportunity to move on?
    Perhaps a combination of both?
    Seems like a nice spot to me. Very convenient to facilities etc. triple glazing will keep out any traffic noise.
    2 of the houses are being sold because the owners passed away and another is being sold because the owner who is now almost 103 years old has gone into a nursing home recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

pixbyjohn wrote: »
    2 of the houses are being sold because the owners passed away and another is being sold because the owner who is now almost 103 years old has gone into a nursing home recently.

I wondered why the For Sale signs suddenly appeared. Very sad.

I think it is a lovely spot. I was in one of the houses and it was full of character and had a wonderful garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shinyshin

Thank you all so much for your honest feedback.
    Cheeky Chops - Did you live there recently? What are the neighbours like? Is it a quiet area? Any concerns I should be aware of? Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭Cheeky Chops

Sorry, I meant I was visiting someone! They didn't seem to have any problems at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Living in the general area and knowing people who live in Crowe Abbey and Kindlestown Lwr I've never heard anything out of the ordinary in terms of things that would put anyone off buying property there. That road is no busier than the road running through Delgany village, or any of the roads in Greystones town centre or Black Lion. The houses are by no means on top of each other and in fact less so than any of the new developments in Delgany Wood or the other more recent arrivals to be visited upon us.

We considered it an option a few years ago but prices prohibitive at that stage.

I think you've made a good choice. Hope you'll be very happy

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

cocker5 wrote: »
    Also theres houses bulit behind houses the entire length of the road etc.;)

Same in Blacklion where we live aswell. I can't imagine why that would be a reason to avoid a house. If anything, it creates a great sense of community among the residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Swanner wrote: »
    Same in Blacklion where we live aswell. I can't imagine why that would be a reason to avoid a house. If anything, it creates a great sense of community among the residents.

Different strokes I suppose, i wouldn't like it myself, it would put me off buying there, that plus the road in question is a busy road with a number of run down properties along it - so all in all it wouldn't be somewhere is consider for those reasons, but to each their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As kids we used to play in the "run down property" on Church road. To be fair, it's an awful **** hole of a street though. The house prices don't reflect it strangely enough but each to their own....

Have you seen the "run down property" in the Burnaby ? I'm a bit surprised this guy got in to take pics as someone still lives there, i'd never buy a gaff in The Burnaby though cause you couldn't live around that kind of delapidation.

http://www.gingerpixel.com/ireland/the-house-on-burnaby/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Swanner wrote: »

Have you seen the "run down property" in the Burnaby ? I'm a bit surprised this guy got in to take pics as someone still lives there,

there used to be someone still living there, but I don't think there is now - the pathway into the house is completely overgrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 scolarda

Hi All,

My OH and I are looking at a house in Kindlestown, and have heard that the area is a bit rough. Looking for honest opinions of people living in or near that area - what do you think? Safe and nice area to live or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭FirstIn

Everywhere in Greystones is safe and nice.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,583 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Threads merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭TomoBhoy

scolarda wrote: »
    Hi All,

My OH and I are looking at a house in Kindlestown, and have heard that the area is a bit rough. Looking for honest opinions of people living in or near that area - what do you think? Safe and nice area to live or not?

maybe about 20 years ago now all the people up there have notions about themselves ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wicklow Will

Hi TomoBhoy

I think you need to be a bit more specific about which Kindlestown you mean, as there are a number of areas in and around Delgany known as Kindlestown - which are quite geographically distinct.

Advertisement