Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kind of urgent..dog food

• 30-09-2014 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hello
    We're in a bit of a situation. Our two JRx are fed a diet of boiled chicken and Red Mills Star dog nuts. They seem to do well on this diet, but when we went to buy a new bag, it seems they have changed the recipe completely. I know it's advised to make any change gradually by introducing the new food mixed with the old over a few weeks? but we now don't have that option.
    Any advice what we should do? I understand that a complete change of diet can cause tummy upsets and we really are a loss as to what to do.
    Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

Just add the new nuts slowly. You are in a better position than most as your dogs diet isnt 100% based on kibble. Keep feeding the boiled chicken with some rice and introduce the new nuts gradually.

I take in foster dogs and as I don't know what they were fed on previously my fosters have to do a 100% change of diet. While its not ideal they do get the hang of it fairly quick.

So don't worry too much. Just make sure you are happy with the new recipe and go from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Because Red Mills' Star food doesn't specify its meat content or which cereal is used (just "meat and animal derivatives" and "cereals") it gives them freedom to change according to whatever is available at the cheapest price. So it may be your dogs have a bit of a food intolerance for the current meat content or cereal in the food. It's a really, really low quality dog food OP. I don't mean to offend you but you really couldn't get any worse. I'd upgrade a bit if I were you. (Lucky dogs for getting boiled chicken though!)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭VickieVexed

Thank you both so much for your advice.

Inexile, I've done as you suggested and just given them a few nuts, mixed with rice and their chicken..fingers crossed!

boomerang, I hadn't realised our current food choice was such poor quality, I'm going to research into getting them a better quality food.

Thanks again for your help.

Advertisement