Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basel v Liverpool Wednesday 19.45 KO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Madrid will tear this Liverpool team apart

It's going to be glorious.

How did United get on in this round of champions league matches..oh wait.... They are at home scratching their holes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

And Rodgers needs to take a good f*cking look at himself and ask Is he going to make the hard decisions or stick by players who are not good enough.
    What should the team be then? Right now, I don't see anyone on the bench who can honestly say that they deserve to be in the team.

• Terrible summer transfers. Rodgers needs to take the blame

Back four is a joke

Delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

yeah because they fairly ripped Ludograts apart to be fair..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Well at least were in the CL.........rabble rabble rabble,f**k it your dead right :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

How did United get on in this round of champions league matches..oh wait.... They are at home scratching their holes.

What has that got to do with Madrid v Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,651 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I love watching the RTE panel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

What should the team be then? Right now, I don't see anyone on the bench who can honestly say that they deserve to be in the team.

Gerrard is the glaringly obvious one that needs to be on the bench. That seems pretty clear to everyone but Rodgers

• Advertisement

Dire game. Both teams were sh*t, one was slightly less sh*t than the other.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

It's funny, no matter how bad we both are we will always have a go at one another, claiming one is better than another. United fans at Liverpool fans and vice verca while the Leicesters and Basels of this world sit back and laugh. It's sad that it's come to this.

I am very upset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Taken Liverpool what 5 years to get back?..
    5 years of 'ass scratching' and planning and cant beat Basel, and need luck to beat ludogoretz... And since you mentioned united, under moyes they still got to a QF last year..

Both are ****e this year.. But at least united arent being enbarassed on a european stage..
    And at least united are in the top half of the league table

Madrid is going to be a bloodbath..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I'd nearly take Poulsen back at this rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Barr

Both sides look average at best , still fancy the pool to qualify though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I am new to football so forgive my naievity but selling 1 really good player like Suarez and not replacing him with any good players might have been a mistake

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Dunphy: At City, Balotelli had 32 goals in 65 league game for City.

Reality: He had 20 in 54; 30 in 80 in all competitions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

If Balotelli went back to his old self Dunphy would br the first to criticise him for bringing the game into disrepute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

bennyl10 wrote: »
    under moyes they still got to a QF last year..

Both are ****e this year.. But at least united arent being enbarassed on a european stage..
    And at least united are in the top half of the league table

This is the Basel V Liverpool match thread....

I hate the soccer forum on boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

Eamo's like a man rejuvenated. Hanging out with the kids. Always knew Styles was holding him back.

Fudge You wrote: »

Tell that to the guy he replied to...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭bennyl10

United were mentioned first.. I replied,.while also.mentioning what i feel are Liverpools prospects in the champions league this year.. Can it not be compared to another english team?.. Especially when they're mentioned first?..

On the match tonight, both teams.woeful, Mario, really does nothing for liverpool upfront..
    Madird fonna be very very tough.. Pool getting.. out of the group might be tough..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,131 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Delighted for Basel, great little club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I've missed the RTE bollicking of Liverpool in the Champions League.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

You need to be compact in Europe and we are wide open. Midfield is a shambles, teams run right through the middle of us. Too many players who are supposedly technically good on the ball (supposedly) but we are an absolute shambles out of possession, the lack of ability to win possession is frightening.

Rodgers may not be cut out to manage a large squad, having to tinker with the first XI to keep everyone fresh. He blundered last season when tinkering with the first XI on a few occasions, we steamrolled teams last season playing virtually the same team every weekend but it's a different story when you forced to choose how to use a squad and when the team doesn't pick itself.

His philosophy looks good on paper but our midfield is critically bad. The defence is exposed by lack of protection on top of their own frailties.

Steven Gerrard in his current role is redundant when the opposition have the lions share of possession, I don't care how many people remind me how good he has been for us, the lad is a liability in his current position. You cannot play this cavalier system against teams in Europe that have discipline tactically.

The blueprint is there now to stop us playing, get everyone behind the ball and stop us breaking quickly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Delighted for Basel, great little club.

It's hardly a little club, they've been qualifying for the CL for quite a few years now. Little compared to say Real Madrid or Bayern or Chelsea. I do like them though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

At least you get to listen to the champions league music lads for a few more games yet

In fairness Liverpool should have bought champions league players and not squad players

You're not set up for the champions league. and this is the first CL most of your team have played in I think.

Basel have won there league the last 5 years and Real Madrid are well Real Madrid

BR should have used your money wisely but instead went to build a squad instead of a team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

Can't wait to see Liverpool folks do a U-turn on rodgers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

The next 2 rounds are huge. Liverpool need something from one of the games as Basel may take points off Ludogorets so they need to match whatever result they get to keep it level pegging going i to the last two games.

If Real win both games and Basel too its going be a tough last two games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Giruilla wrote: »
    Can't wait to see Liverpool folks do a U-turn on rodgers!

Once its only the minority few on boards, we should be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Leave then, in his defence, he wasn't the one brought United into this so direct your anger elsewhere maybe?

• Advertisement

Rodgers talks some amount of ****e

kryogen wrote: »
    Rodgers talks some amount of ****e

Not many managers who don't tbf.

When winning they can say what they want. When they lose it's all scrutinised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Liverpool could still finish on 10 points to be honest. They were fcking ****e tonight. But Anfield is no easy place to go. They'll beat Basle at home maybe draw with Madrid at home and a must win against Ludo away? That'll be 10 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Liverpool could still finish on 10 points to be honest. They were fcking ****e tonight. But Anfield is no easy place to go. They'll beat Basle at home maybe draw with Madrid at home and a must win against Ludo away? That'll be 10 points.

Of the results you suggest I think Ludo away will be the most difficult, they are better than Basel

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not many managers who don't tbf.

When winning they can say what they want. When they lose it's all scrutinised.

Was mainly the bit where he thought Gerrard was outstanding, I could understand maybe if he had been quizzed on him or the reporter had been attacking him or whatever, but to just come out with it is ludicrous.

As you say, most managers are the same

Any truth in the rumour that Balotelli refused to clap the Liverpool fans after the game?
    Seems an odd thing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭keano25

Draw with Madrid at home.. With that defence.. Sorry with that team.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭BMMachine

well that was sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

They COULD finish on 10 points, but that would require a win against Basel at Anfield, a win away against Ludogrets who they barely beat from a 94th minute penalty at home, and a point from one of the Madrid games. I wouldn't hold my breath, Liverpool fans will really be wanting both Ludo/Basel games to end up as draws to have a good chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

martyos121 wrote: »
    1-0 down away from home in a big European match, where we could do with some attacking changes to find an equaliser.
    Safe to assume Lucas is ready to come on so?

Lucas should be playing instead of Gerrard, does a better job.

Worst performance ever in a liverpool Jersey tonight by sterling without question

Eh... no.

Sterling will never play this bad again. Literally can't do anything right at the moment.

Looks like Rodgers may be burning him out. Has he played the full 90 mins of every game this season (England games too)?

NukaCola wrote: »
    Changing the shape with 10 mins left when it hasn't worked for 80 mins. Far too slow making that change.

This. Rodgers has persisted all season with a formation that worked great with Suarez causing mayhem at the tip last season. Doesnt quite work without him. Too much pressure now on the attacking midfielders who arent coping.

We really need to play two forwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Looks like Rodgers may be burning him out. Has he played the full 90 mins of every game this season (England games too)?

In fairness Rodgers rested him against Villa and people went mad.

The more puzzling decision after that was him playing 120 minutes against Middlesboro in the league cup.

The worst thing is even at 19 he's already a big player for England so will probably play in both their upcoming games when he could do with a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Any truth in the rumour that Balotelli refused to clap the Liverpool fans after the game?
    Seems an odd thing to do.

Was at the game and if he didn't clap nobody noticed. He was giving waves before the game during his song being sung. I only saw reports on it this morning and looks like a nothing story in fairness. Rodgers is quoted and because it's Mario it becomes a story everywhere. Bigger talking point with the supporters was the clashes with Basel fans in one of the main squares 2hrs before kick off that was broken up by riot police. Very small minority trying to spoil it for everyone

• Advertisement

8-10 wrote: »
    Was at the game and if he didn't clap nobody noticed. He was giving waves before the game during his song being sung. I only saw reports on it this morning and looks like a nothing story in fairness. Rodgers is quoted and because it's Mario it becomes a story everywhere. Bigger talking point with the supporters was the clashes with Basel fans in one of the main squares 2hrs before kick off that was broken up by riot police. Very small minority trying to spoil it for everyone

I just seen a few Liverpool sources tweeting about how unhappy they were with it last night. It was the wording I found odd, he refused rather than just didn't do it. May well be bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,843 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

monkey9 wrote: »
    I've missed the RTE bollicking of Liverpool in the Champions League.

haha no you haven't :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,566 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I just seen a few Liverpool sources tweeting about how unhappy they were with it last night. It was the wording I found odd, he refused rather than just didn't do it. May well be bullsh*t.

I just don't see how it's that big a deal. It's a nice touch when the crowd really get behind the team and the players recognise it afterwards, but it doesn't need to be a box-ticking exercise that should upset fans when the players aren't applauding them.

Anyone getting offended by a player not applauding them should probably get onto Joe Duffy and stay away from the serious business of football matches.

I hope Ballotelli can cope with anyone not applauding him too.

CSF wrote: »
    I just don't see how it's that big a deal. It's a nice touch when the crowd really get behind the team and the players recognise it afterwards, but it doesn't need to be a box-ticking exercise that should upset fans when the players aren't applauding them.

https://twitter.com/anfield_oracle/status/517446629117673473

Just seen that last night and so I asked, if Rodgers told him to go and applaud the fans and he said no it's a bit different to just not doing it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement