Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basel v Liverpool Wednesday 19.45 KO

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Glock Lesnar

I know he's only 20, but is there one aspect of Manquillo's game that's not well below par for a player on top 6 premiership team?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I know he's only 20, but is there one aspect of Manquillo's game that's not well below par for a player on top 6 premiership team?

Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Is Liverpool's attack just slower than last year?

They don't seem to attack with the same pace.

murpho999 wrote: »

No Sturridge and Suarez might explain it a bit!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

rarnes1 wrote: »
    That would be ridiculous.

He's by far our best attacker despite having an average game.

You really do hate him!!

Don't hate him but he is killing us tonight not tracking back and twice now has thrown himself on the ground when dispossessed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

That pace was all Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling and two of them aren't on the field right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Hamilton and Begin are giving me the schkitther.

You'd think someone with the tactical nous of Bren Rodgers would be able to break down the shambles of a formation utilised by FC basel.

Don't hate him but he is killing us tonight not tracking back and twice now has thrown himself on the ground when dispossessed

He can definately do better.

Markovic on the other hand is tracking back brilliantly

• Advertisement

That pace was all Suarez, Sturridge and Sterling and two of them aren't on the field right now.

True but I think the midfield turned into attack quicker too. More cutting balls from Coutinho for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Still plenty of pace on the field though, just not the same level of skill obviously.

Suarez terrified defences, that cant be overlooked, he would often tie up 2 or 3 defenders alone so that there was plenty of space for the others to do damage when he wasnt.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Was the ref honestly trying to tell lovren it is illegal to have his arms anywhere other than by his side?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭delaney001

That's the most confusing phrasing I've ever read

kryogen wrote: »
    Still plenty of pace on the field though, just not the same level of skill obviously.

Suarez terrified defences, that cant be overlooked, he would often tie up 2 or 3 defenders alone so that there was plenty of space for the others to do damage when he wasnt.

Without a doubt.

Sturridge coming back will improve Liverpool tenfold as it'll help Ballotelli and Sterlings games

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

HT 0-0

I'll take it - glimpses of what can be but the old two man midfield nonsense makes this harder than it need be. Sterling is right off his game bar one or two moments.

• Advertisement

I'm now about to enjoy Dunphy analysing a Liverpool match for the first time in 5 years.

It's been too long baby!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Decent performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

spockety wrote: »
    Was the ref honestly trying to tell lovren it is illegal to have his arms anywhere other than by his side?!?

Thats what I took from it. Both players looked confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Markovic is playing very well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

Poor game. There for either team really, both as bad as each other. Fancy Sterling to do something

• Advertisement

I think fans of the Liverpool should be happy with Lazar Markovic's performance but unhappy with Bren Rodger's tactics thus far,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Lallana's high pressing and high tempo is needed big time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Peist2007 wrote: »
    Those results said more about Chelsea than Basel. Basel won those two games and still didnt get out of a group with ludogrets and schalke.

That's a theory as you would put it. They also knocked spurs out of the Europa lge i think yr before and gave Chelsea 2 good games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

MD1990 wrote: »

Hmmm... He's doing better, some nice touches but he still looks a little lost at times. 100% not playing very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ffs we aren't even testing a defence that shipped 7 to real.

No Sturridge has killed our start to the season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

That's a theory as you would put it. They also knocked spurs out of the Europa lge i think yr before and gave Chelsea 2 good games.

I think tonight and a couple of weeks ago show where they are at. They are very poor in my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm now about to enjoy Dunphy analysing a Liverpool match for the first time in 5 years.

It's been too long baby!

Bittersweet without Bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Enrique is scaring the **** out of me, would prefer Moreno in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Dour stuff. Liverpool have no confidence at the moment and shows; bunch of individuals rather than a team. Very disappointing

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

MD1990 wrote: »

Steady on. He's been better, but very well is clutching at straws.

• Advertisement

Lallana's high pressing and high tempo is needed big time.

I'll tell you what will happen, Sterling will continue to play like his head is of full of porridge but its Markovic or Coutinho who will get hooked for Lallana at about 60 mins.

Like I said earlier the formation is wrong, need to get Cout deeper and play a diamond with 1 (Marko) + 1 up front.

rob316 wrote: »

It was only 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

rob316 wrote: »

It was 5 and its incomparable tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Hell I'd be happy to see Borini come on just to see two up top and a few runs being made behind the cb's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

It was only 5.

Sorry your right I saw them put 7 past someone lately, mixed up. :)

It was only 5.

it doesn't matter, because by that equivalence test we'll be fine against Madrid if we use the fact that we were drawing with Ludogerets at half time as are Madrid, so we'll inevitably be grand.

5starpool wrote: »
    Steady on. He's been better, but very well is clutching at straws.

When people are writing him off after a couple of games it's natural people will want him to do well and exaggerate a bit when he does well

The downside of being back in the champions league is Ronnie

It's been too long baby!
    I'll tell you what will happen, Sterling will continue to play like his head is of full of porridge but its Markovic or Coutinho who will get hooked for Lallana at about 60 mins.

Like I said earlier the formation is wrong, need to get Cout deeper and play a diamond with 1 (Marko) + 1 up front.

His decision making hasn't been great last few games. Under a lot of pressure to provide all the threat with Lazar et al not chipping in enough.

• Advertisement

When people are writing him off after a couple of games it's natural people will want him to do well and exaggerate a bit when he does well

Both are equally silly though. He's been poor for us so far, and a bit better tonight. That's all there is to it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

I feel like I'm watching a First Division match!

Some atmosphere, putting Anfield(recently) to shame

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,594 ✭✭✭kingshankly

Liverpool have gone back 5 years they are so disjointed

5starpool wrote: »
    You say that like you were expecting a thumping win before the game? Surely not?

To be honest I wouldn't have been surprised by a 3 - 0 'pool win :)
    Basel are fairly sh1t imo despite their domestic form and I am quite an optimistic sort, I always fancy Liverpool to put in an impressive performance.

I didn't expect Sterling to be off form, I still wouldn't discount a Liverpool 2 0 win :pac:

IMHO (in my humble opinion) Bren Rodgers needs to introduce Borini because he provides a different approach to attacking football that sometimes is effective but if he doesn't that's ok too that's why he's the manager of Liverpool FC and I'm not LMFAO :)

• Advertisement

Liverpool have gone back 5 years they are so disjointed

You are taking literally all the joy out of our CL return

Sterling really terrible ball, had a simple slide pass inside so thumps it down the line....

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Biddy_61

The game is crying out for a goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

IMHO (in my humble opinion) Bren Rodgers needs to introduce Borini because he provides a different approach to attacking football that sometimes is effective but if he doesn't that's ok too that's why he's the manager of Liverpool FC and I'm not LMFAO :)

If we continue to give away the ball like we have been You could have RVP and Falcao up front and it wouldn't make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Sorry but that was pathetic from Sterling.

• Advertisement
Advertisement