Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pyrite in Property

Options
  • 30-09-2014 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭

With relation to Pyrite are vendors/estate agents legally obliged to disclose if a property has been affected by Pyrite ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

you could always ask them the questiona nd force them to disclose it if they have knowledge of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Waesfjord

Like previous reply, you need to ask.

i always find if I ask an estate agent something like this, they state 'not that I am aware', so either they don't know, or possibly don't want to know, so the don't have to disclose to potential house purchaser.

If serious on a house, I think best that you ask estate agent to ask their client and respond by email to you, so that you have the answer documented.

You can always get your solicitor to ask these types of questions, however that will means you are paying for a solicitor anyway if house falls though so out of pocket...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I dont sée The point in not mentioning it as it comes out anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭happypants

We have the same concern on a viewing of a house in Meath. I asked the estate agent (I think he is anyway) has the house been tested and he responded no as the owners have seen no evidence that there is pyrite. The house is 7-8 years old and afaik it can take upto 20 for it to show. A quick google online revealed the rest of the estate seems to have it.... We are steering clear. It's 'competitively priced' at €240,000, well not competitive at all if it starts cracking or rising. We've decided to steer clear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If pyrite is present and the house is a couple of years old you will know about it. It can also be tested for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Theres no such thing as 'full disclosure' or such in ireland with regards to an EA so you might as well not ask, theyre definitely not going to tell you either way. Get a building surveyor to survey the property and specify you have concerns with regard to the possibility of pyrite. He she can still only report on what is evident within the property. Maybe talk to some neighbours also.

Advertisement