Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending Items under 2kg within ROI.

Options
  • 30-09-2014 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭

I'm currently looking at the most cost effective options for sending:
    1. Large Letter between 800g-900g
    2. Small Packet weighing between 1600-1800g

Within Ireland.

I have pricing from Fastway and an account with DPD.

The fastway satchel is competitive as the A4 on volume of 100+ is the best I have found at the minute.

Are An Post competitive and/or reliable for such items and is any tracking possible?

Is there any obvious company or service that I am overlooking in relation to this?

I will be chatting to my local An Post business manager soon.

I assume UPS/DHL/FEDEX whilst very professional and efficient would not be as competitive as Fastway for example?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭JMR

The Guvnor wrote: »
    I'm currently looking at the most cost effective options for sending:
    1. Large Letter between 800g-900g
    2. Small Packet weighing between 1600-1800g

Within Ireland.

I have pricing from Fastway and an account with DPD.

The fastway satchel is competitive as the A4 on volume of 100+ is the best I have found at the minute.

Are An Post competitive and/or reliable for such items and is any tracking possible?

Is there any obvious company or service that I am overlooking in relation to this?

I will be chatting to my local An Post business manager soon.

I assume UPS/DHL/FEDEX whilst very professional and efficient would not be as competitive as Fastway for example?

I previously used An Post and was getting a price of €5.95 for up to 2kg next day delivery within Ireland, inc tracking number.

I had to buy a minimum of 25 pre-populated labels to get this price.

The service was a bit patchy to be honest and when something did go wrong it was a nightmare to resolve any issues.
    I found them too big to deal with. If a package is not delivered next day, a customer service rep advises you which form to fill out etc. and you wait months to hear anything back.

I don't use An Post any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Thanks!

We are about that atm for up to 31kg - this excludes a surcharge and vat.

The best option looks to be the A4 fastway satchels at €4.41 this is a price for N.Ireland (£3.50) based on 100 per week for national delivery.

There does seem to be a lack of options for the sub 1 or 2kg packets or letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,571 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

JMR wrote: »
    I previously used An Post and was getting a price of €5.95 for up to 2kg next day delivery within Ireland, inc tracking number.

I had to buy a minimum of 25 pre-populated labels to get this price.

The service was a bit patchy to be honest and when something did go wrong it was a nightmare to resolve any issues.
    I found them too big to deal with. If a package is not delivered next day, a customer service rep advises you which form to fill out etc. and you wait months to hear anything back.

I don't use An Post any more.

Hi,
    Were you buying the pre-populated labels online for An-Post or where..
    Thanks

_Brian wrote: »
    Hi,
    Were you buying the pre-populated labels online for An-Post or where..
    Thanks

Buying direct from An Post.
    GPO will be able to give you a contact number for your local rep, he will provide prices etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

An Post courier service is much cheaper than regular post and can beat Fastway in my experience for decent volumes (50+ PW)

• Advertisement

Thanks Pedro!
    I have the local An Post reps details so hope to speak with her soon.

An Post do have better rates.

It is however blanket to 30kg nothing specifically for 0-2kg.

Anything that classes as a large letter gets a stamp and no discount but is at published rates and no tracking number.

It would be nice to ship without tracking number but you know that will lead to complaints of non receipt etc.

The Guvnor wrote: »
    It would be nice to ship without tracking number but you know that will lead to complaints of non receipt etc.

Not worth the hassle, in my opinion.
    In my experience customers do not mind paying an extra couple of Euro if the service is good.
    They will not forgive shoddy service if the excuse is that it is cheap.

You should be able to get courier, next day service with full tracking anywhere in IRL at approx €4 to €5 +VAT for <2kg

Advertisement