Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Queues for pre-immigration at Dublin

Options
  • 30-09-2014 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Has anybody done the USA pre-immigration at Dublin recently? I'm traveling on Saturday and was just wondering what the queues are like.

I did it in August and I really needed the 3 hours they recommend. But it might be a bit quieter now...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Traffic will have subsided a little, but it will depend on your departure time and how many flights are departing in and around that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

It's better to be safe than sorry. They still recommend three hours so I would allow that. They have fewer staff on the gates off peak so queues can actually be longer than in the height of summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭iusedtoknow

I've been through everything in 30 minutes, and through in 2.5 hours - the 2.5 hours was last october, the 30 minutes was a February.

Play it safe...I'd still go with 3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Took 2.5 hours for me about two weeks ago. Also, every time I've flown to the US out of Terminal 2 the Aer Lingus kiosks have pointed me to go to the desk and the line there has been long too

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Impossible to know...I went through on Aug 20th and the Immigration part alone took about 2 hours. My buddy went through a week later in about 30 minutes, and someone else I know went through a week after him and it took her more than 2 hours.

It was all very stressful.....and they ended up holding our flight for about an hour to get everyone through. I travel a lot for work stateside, and I would have to say I have seldom witnessed such mayhem in an airpory

• Advertisement

whitey1 wrote: »
    Impossible to know...I went through on Aug 20th and the Immigration part alone took about 2 hours. My buddy went through a week later in about 30 minutes, and someone else I know went through a week after him and it took her more than 2 hours.

It was all very stressful.....and they ended up holding our flight for about an hour to get everyone through. I travel a lot for work stateside, and I would have to say I have seldom witnessed such mayhem in an airpory

it's funny isn't it (not "ha ha") but the pre-clearance is often seen as a convenience, but the majority of times, i prefer going through border control in the US, especially if it's my final destination. There is something to be said for sitting at the gate calmly (or lounge...if lucky enough) and deal with immigration the other end. It's rarely more than 45 minutes anywhere I've flown into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Thing is the check in time for us flights was always 3 hours even before pre clearance. It's not an extra delay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I went through Pre-Clearance on August 30th and it was a MESS. There were 5 kiosks open for 3 departing flights (within 35 minutes of each other). Made it to the gate with just 10 minutes to spare. Flight was delayed for 35 minutes to allow those caught in Immigration to make it through. It took 45 minutes in line in the Immigration Hall.

There were no Customs Forms handed out at check in/bag drop so I think some people weren't aware that there was Pre-Clearance leading to a bottle-neck when they realised they had to have the form completed.

I would allow at least 3 hours - better to be waiting at the gate than miss the flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Dave1442397

I went thru on August 25th. We got to the airport at 8am for an 11:30 flight. There was no line at check in and only a couple of people ahead of us at the security checkpoint. We got to immigration and there was a huge line, with people being called for flights that were waiting, etc. It was 10:20 by the time we got to the gate, and they started boarding at 10:40.

We sat in the plane while they waited for people held up at immigration, and finally departed an hour late. We still got to PHL 15 minutes early, which was nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

it's funny isn't it (not "ha ha") but the pre-clearance is often seen as a convenience, but the majority of times, i prefer going through border control in the US, especially if it's my final destination. There is something to be said for sitting at the gate calmly (or lounge...if lucky enough) and deal with immigration the other end. It's rarely more than 45 minutes anywhere I've flown into.

This.

Almost every time I've pre-cleared in Dublin in the last couple of years, the whole thing has been a big stressfest. I always arrive at least 3 hours before departure, but get caught in the early morning exodus of US-bound flights. I've also been in the situation described by other posters, where, due to queues at check-in, security #1, pre-clearance and security #2, the flight is delayed and passengers are rushed through security #2.

I can't fly direct to where I live in the US and, when booking flights, I always choose to pre-clear in Ireland and connect in the US. I always think it "so handy" to get it all done in Dublin. :D

I'd still prefer Dublin pre-clearance over connecting in Heathrow and clearing immigration in the US.

OP - as others have said, I'd give yourself at least 3 hours. Best case scenario, you have time to buy a pricey coffee and panini once you're through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

I tend to agree with this. I suppose it all depends on where you are flying into and when. Going thru Customs & Immigration at O'Hare and JFK can be pretty grim, especially when it is busy, or you have a connection to catch. But I have also gone thru C&I at Atlanta, Boston, Philly, Raleigh Durham & Seattle and I have often breezed thru in under 15 minutes. There are loads of staff telling you where to go, what queues to join etc etc and there are generally loads of agents manning each checkpoint. The set up in Dublin is a bit of a joke shop in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Amazed to hear all these stories about pre-clearance in DUB. Went through it and Shannon over the years, and it was a breeze. I would have paid extra just to use it. Am flying to LAX next year, and going via LHR with BA, purely based on cost, but was dreading the immigration at LAX. Seems I might not be any worse off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

I'm just back from a trip to LAX via ORD.
    We arrived in Dublin airport at 8am for 11:30am flight.
    With so much time we didn't mind the queues for security.

The mayhem was for connecting flights in O'Hare. Even with 1hr 45 mins layover we only made our connection with 15 mins to spare as the security checks there took quite awhile to get through even with staff balancing the load in different security areas. The terminal change is only a few mins with the ATS so that's great.

So pre-clearance is great if you have a connecting flight but so-so if you are flying direct.

Personally I'd prefer to have them than not and give myself the 3.5hrs to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

JackieChan wrote: »
    I'm just back from a trip to LAX via ORD.
    We arrived in Dublin airport at 8am for 11:30am flight.
    With so much time we didn't mind the queues for security.

The mayhem was for connecting flights in O'Hare. Even with 1hr 45 mins layover we only made our connection with 15 mins to spare as the security checks there took quite awhile to get through even with staff balancing the load in different security areas. The terminal change is only a few mins with the ATS so that's great.

So pre-clearance is great if you have a connecting flight but so-so if you are flying direct.

Personally I'd prefer to have them than not and give myself the 3.5hrs to be safe.

Only flying through ORD, normally if you've gone through preclearance you get to land at the domestic terminal so you don't have to go through security again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

spideog7 wrote: »
    Only flying through ORD, normally if you've gone through preclearance you get to land at the domestic terminal so you don't have to go through security again.

I have often had to go thru another security check, upon disembarkation from both pre cleared and non precleared flights. Homeland Security just don't trust non US airports to do as good a security check as they can.

On precleared flights to the US, I have also landed in the international terminals far more than I do the domestic ones. This is to facilitate the above checkpoints, as well as the airline I presume. It is easier for them to fly into & out of the same gate, if they are using the same plane for the return journey and they need to get it turned around as quickly as possible.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    I have often had to go thru another security check, upon disembarkation from both pre cleared and non precleared flights. Homeland Security just don't trust non US airports to do as good a security check as they can.

On precleared flights to the US, I have also landed in the international terminals far more than I do the domestic ones. This is to facilitate the above checkpoints, as well as the airline I presume. It is easier for them to fly into & out of the same gate, if they are using the same plane for the return journey and they need to get it turned around as quickly as possible.

On "pre-cleared" flights, i've always rolled into a domestic terminal (jfk) and walked to the the next gate (or in the case of delta...back to the same gate) to carry on the domestic leg.

Whenever I've been in ORD wasting time for my iberia flight to Madrid, i've seen the aer lingus plane being towed from one part of the terminal to the other - but it could just depend on how busy the airport is at any time

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Just flew from Heathrow to Boston yesterday.....took about 20 minutes to clear customs and Immigration in Boston. I'd take that any day of the week over what we were put through in Dublin back in August.

The day we went through.....both rooms downstairs were completely full.....so we were held upstairs with probably 1,000 other people. Then they let maybe 20 people go down at a time to be confronted by another complete mob scene of 2/3,000 thousands of people waiting in line, (most of who think they are going to miss their flights.)

Our flight was leaving at 11:50 so we got to the airport just before 9:00 am. We breezed through baggage and security. So good so far.....we then grabbed a quick breakfast (as we had driven up from Mayo at 5:00 am). As we were wrapping up I took a gander downstairs to see what the line for immigration was like (per clearance in Shannon usually took about 20 mins) and sprinted back up in a panic.

We got into line @ 10:05 am and it was 11:40 before we got to our gate. All the time we were in line there were last calls for people and threats to remove their bags coming over the airwaves.

In 20 years of going back and forth, this was without doubt the worst I have ever experiencec

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Went through Immigration in Dublin Airport 3 weeks ago on a Saturday morning. Queues were pretty bad. Was flying at 12.30pm so was a busy time of the day. Took about 1.5 hours in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭xabi_a

Thanks all for the inputs - looks like I helped a few people get things off their chest:-)

I'll give it the 3 hours anyway, although when they start calling people through to skip the queue to make their flights, it does make you wonder why you bother...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

spideog7 wrote: »

Since we were transferring flights we had to leave international terminal(T5) and go to a domestic terminal(T1 for us) and join security queues there, that's where the delay was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Amazed to hear all these stories about pre-clearance in DUB. Went through it and Shannon over the years, and it was a breeze. I would have paid extra just to use it. Am flying to LAX next year, and going via LHR with BA, purely based on cost, but was dreading the immigration at LAX. Seems I might not be any worse off.

You might live to regret that assumption. LAX can be absolute hell. last time I flew BA there we landed right behind a Korean A380 and an Emirates fight. No surprise the place was a zoo. LAX has never been a breeze but that was the worst I had ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I went Shannon - New Ark - L.A.X - New Ark - Shannon and it was great doing the pre-clearance apart from only having 20 minutes between L.A.X and New Ark on the way back. Just as well that all you have to do is hop off one plane and walk 2 minutes to the next terminal! It wouldn't have been possible without pre-clearance and arriving as a domestic flight in New Ark.

Yep. Scanned my passport and had my tickets printed at the kiosk in a matter of a minute. Still had to wait for someone to tag my luggage though so I don't see how it can be as short as 11 minutes. They need more staff if they want it done in 11 minutes. The line beside me was held up for ages as some technologically impaired woman couldn't get it working with one of the asian languages.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Yep. Scanned my passport and had my tickets printed at the kiosk in a matter of a minute. Still had to wait for someone to tag my luggage though so I don't see how it can be as short as 11 minutes. They need more staff if they want it done in 11 minutes. The line beside me was held up for ages as some technologically impaired woman couldn't get it working with one of the asian languages.
    You don't know what airlines can use them? I know it's about the terminals really...

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

We went through immigration in lax this year with no problem. While the queues were huge there were loads of officers working in the kiosks and most people breezed through. The queues constantly moved. When we got to the desk, yer man just took the prints, the picture and stamped our passport and waved us on!!!

Our problem was with London heathrow, (we flew dub... Heathrow... Lax) they lost our luggage and couldn't tell us for 5 days where it was. Going through customs in heathrow was a nightmare. Slow, rude people. An older lady was ahead of us and was a bit confused with the whole process. The staff were so unpleasant to her. It was like a slow cattle mart!!!!

You don't know what airlines can use them? I know it's about the terminals really...

Terminal 7 in LAX is United Airlines so they can use them anyway.

Nelly 21 wrote: »
    Our problem was with London heathrow, (we flew dub... Heathrow... Lax) they lost our luggage and couldn't tell us for 5 days where it was. Going through customs in heathrow was a nightmare. Slow, rude people. An older lady was ahead of us and was a bit confused with the whole process. The staff were so unpleasant to her. It was like a slow cattle mart!!!!
    Did you have to recover your bags in Heathrow? I was hoping to check mine straight through to Dublin from SFO/LAX, and only collect them in Dublin? Flying both legs with BA. Never actually done a US to Europe flight, except direct to Dublin. Have checked bags straight through MCO-Newark-DUB...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Did you have to recover your bags in Heathrow? I was hoping to check mine straight through to Dublin from SFO/LAX, and only collect them in Dublin? Flying both legs with BA. Never actually done a US to Europe flight, except direct to Dublin. Have checked bags straight through MCO-Newark-DUB...

Your bags should be checked straight through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Nelly 21

No you haven't to worry about bags, that's all done for you but you go through scanners obviously and they can check your hand luggage! They'll tell you in Dublin when you give in your luggage that your bags are gone straight through!

Advertisement