Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barbour Jacket Problem!

Options
  • 30-09-2014 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Hi guys,
    I typed Barbour into the search line and this forum came up so I thought I'd pose my problem here and hope its in the right place, and if not then I'm really sorry :)
    I got a Barbour Trooper Jacket last May, I bought it for my birthday with the intention of seeing it as a life time investment. Throughout May there was no real occasion for wearing it so it stayed hung up. Now, when the weather gave me a chance to wear it, I realised that it slipped down to the left, and even while putting it on seemed to sit wrong. After wearing it for a while it slipped more and more to the left becoming quite lopsided.
    I was recently in Edinburgh, and asked the guy in the Barbour shop about it and was told there could be a tailoring flaw. I took it back to Arnotts where I bought it, but it was past the 28 day return policy. I was told that it should still be under the year warranty from Barbour and I sent them an email and as of yet they have not replied.
    I tried other Trooper jackets on and they did not slip, as do none of my other jackets, or any I have tried on. The guy from Arnotts also put it on and experienced the same problem.
    I don't know what to do, or what my current rights are. I think the jacket is defective, and given the money I paid for it, I would like to have a perfect jacket. So whats my next step? Try to get Arnotts to contact Barbour on my behalf?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭fits

If its not fit for purpose Arnotts should refund you, 28days or no.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

fits wrote: »
    If its not fit for purpose Arnotts should refund you, 28days or no.

Not quite. The OP is entitled to the 3 Rs, Refund Replacement or Repair, from Arnotts.

OP get back to Arnotts with proof of purchase and ask for a replacement under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act, that's assuming you still want the jacket. Pushing for refund will be difficult and I can't really see a repair being an option.

• Administrators Posts: 53,854 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Moved from the Gentlemens club - OP I think you'll get better advice here in Consumer Issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Its the retailers problem if you have to take matters further and it really depends how good Arnotts are at dealing with these sort of issue, some are good others are very poor.

There is still nothing to stop you contacting Barbour and they may deal with you directly even if they do its only a courtesy and its down to the retailer if it actually comes to a refund. If all you want is an exchange then that might make it easier.

If Arnotts still have them in stock and the same size would it be possible to put yours on top of a new one to see if there is an obvious flaw in the way yours is made up?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭MetalBren

I still want the jacket, so it's a replacement I'm after.
    So even after 28 days they should do that? If so, I'll be heading back in asap.
    If the flaw is what I'm told it could be, it'd be a tailoring flaw in the shoulder area of the jacket, just its cut a bit wrong, I don't know if that'd be obvious if you put one jacket over the other.
    I'm currently waiting to hear back from Barbour, but I don't know if the issue is primarily with Arnotts or Barbour

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Arnotts are the people responsible for dealing with your problem.

Oryx wrote: »
    Arnotts are the people responsible for dealing with your problem.

So I should go back into them? I'm not entirely sure how to handle that, when I went in last Saturday I was told, with no degree of uncertainty, that after 28 days there was nothing they could do about it and I should take the matter up with Barbour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭fits

They were wrong. Cite sale of goods act and ask for manager if your're not getting anywhere.

fits wrote: »
    They were wrong. Cite sale of goods act and ask for manager if your're not getting anywhere.
    OK. Just to clarify however, I don't have the original receipt, but I have bank statements as proof of purchase. Statement shows date/time and money I paid. Again, in Edinburgh when I asked, Arnotts should have a record of the receipt. They confirmed that the last time I was in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,995 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

MetalBren wrote: »
    OK. Just to clarify however, I don't have the original receipt, but I have bank statements as proof of purchase. Statement shows date/time and money I paid. Again, in Edinburgh when I asked, Arnotts should have a record of the receipt. They confirmed that the last time I was in there.

For defective products your are fine with what you have. For change of mind it's entirely shop policy what you need.

• Advertisement

Hi guys,
    I'm going back into Arnotts tomorrow, I'll let you know what happens!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Op I'm not sure what you mean by 'slips to the left' but it sounds like an omission of a few stitches between the lining and the main material. A good tailor would sort that out no problem and it wouldn't be expensive. I know you shouldn't have to pay for it but it might be the easiest option. Barbour are a good brand, don't be put off by it, it wouldn't be the norm.

Hello all!
    So I was in Arnotts earlier. The sales assistant tried on the jacket and noticed immediately that something wasn't right. He called the manager, who had a look at my statement for the time and date I bought the jacket, and chased up the receipt. It took an hour for him to find it, but he did and then sorted the replacement of the jacket! So I''m very happy that the issue is resolved, and thank you all for your help :)
    Its much appreciated.

Advertisement