Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

Kippure wrote: »
    So the unemployed are responsible for the formation of IW.

You should go into police protection after making a foolish statement like that.

I said one of the reasons. I stand by it. They take their benefits off the state and are a net drain.

PS - police protection? Elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I walked into one the other day. Turned a corner and came across a crowd of 20 or so on the street. Stood around for a few minutes and got a general impression. Not the type who can, nor want to engage in any kind of discussion.

Normally I'd take people claims at face value, but I'd need convincing you were wandering around the likes of coolock ;)

Still the ould courage of the convictions lacking eh? Unlike them protester bowsies

The irony of it all - the vast majority of protestors are dole scrounging scummers whose lack of contribution is one of the reasons Irish Water has been set up.

Did you collect their PPS numbers and check their employment status or are you just dribbling nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

moxin wrote: »

All it takes is a spark to get the "underclass" as some have labelled them here for trouble to happen.

Precisely my point. This thread isn't really about water meters, but the carry on of "protesters".

All it's going to take is one "protester" getting themselves seriously injured. Whether it's getting knocked down in the street by a car or in scuffles on the sites.

Plenty of people in that video seem more interested in insulting and attacking gardaí then they do making progress towards their goals on Irish Water.

It's a recipe for trouble:

• Self styled hard left "revolutionaries" (read: Career protesters) who have an axe to grind with gardaí.
    • Lots of bored kids who seem to love the fun of a big crowd v gardaí
    • Intimidation as a tactic

One incident turns an self-righteous mob into an angry one, all because the gardaí treat them with kid gloves and effectively give them free reign.

Bambi wrote: »
    Did you collect their PPS numbers and check their employment status or are you just dribbling nonsense?

Nah. Deduction and logic;

1) Free time during day time
    2) Wear track suits - not usually athletic type though
    3) Harass workers and gardai
    4) Extra water charges troubling them - not got much money

= not very nice contributors to society.

• Advertisement

Nah. Deduction and logic;

1) Free time during day time
    2) Wear track suits - not usually athletic type though
    3) Harass workers and gardai
    4) Extra water charges troubling them - not got much money

= not very nice contributors to society.

Ahem, that's not logic.

4 bulleted points when "dribbling nonsense" is only two words?

People who aren't concise at 1 am have far too much time on their hands and are probably unemployed scummers. That's deduction for ya horse, a slippery slope.

Ahem, that's not logic.

4 bulleted points when "dribbling nonsense" is only two words?

People who aren't concise at 1 am have far too much time on their hands and are probably unemployed scummers. That's deduction for ya horse, a slippery slope.

It must be past my bed time. No clue what you are trying to say.

"

I hate when this stuff is used as a retort against what is a fairly obvious subculture in Ireland and the UK. Skanger, yob/Chav, NED etc... all the same idiots with little education, and no respect for the law or other people.

Tracksuits are part of this subculture. This isn't to say that anyone wearing Adidas bottoms is part of it, but if you're hanging around housing estates all day, wearing tracksuits, hood up and behave like an idiot, it's a fairly sure call to make that you're a skanger.

Look at any video of anti-social behavior in housing estates, or the people attacking gardaí during the Queens visit or just about any incident of a similar nature. 9/10 times it's some dope in a tracksuit, hoodie, white socks and trainers.

Normally I'd take people claims at face value, but I'd need convincing you were wandering around the likes of coolock ;)

:confused:

Why? I suppose you need to be some ultra tough hard man to walk the dangerous footpaths of Coolock?

Come on man. This is Dublin, not Baghdad.

I've worked in late night petrol stations all over Dublin and rarely had any kind of trouble from people like this. They normally only get brave when it's 20:1. ;)

:confused:

Why? I suppose you need to be some ultra tough hard man to walk the dangerous footpaths of Coolock?

Come on man. This is Dublin, not Baghdad.

I've worked in late night petrol stations all over Dublin and rarely had any kind of trouble from people like this. They normally only get brave when it's 20:1. ;)

Yeah. Sure what's wrong with coolock? You need to have peoples PPS numbers before you can know the score like.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Sure what's wrong with coolock? You need to have peoples PPS numbers before you can know the score like.

There's plenty wrong with Coolock and many other areas including my own. But I'd never feel intimidated walking through one based on its reputation. They're mostly undeserved and exaggerated.

For some reason, people like Bambi often like to exaggerate how "tough" their area is because it affords them some sort of strong man status or something. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I was thinking of this again, especially the first video where that woman was prevented from going to work.

Everyone in Ireland has the right to work.

You and I have a right to enter into a contract with an employer for a set wage, for a specific role, for a given length of time and to work a specific job set out by the employer and agreed to by the employee. No body, not the state , an individual or a mob has the right to take away ones right to work.

Basically this persons basic civil right to work was taken from her by a mob of angry lefty loudmouths. Where is the outrage from the civil rights moments? Where is the outcry form feminists? Where is the condemnation from bleeding heart political movements? All whistling in the wind....
    These people are nothing more than Fascists, all they are missing are a some brownshirts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    I was thinking of this again, especially the first video where that woman was prevented from going to work.

You and I have a right to enter into a contract with an employer for a set wage, for a specific role, for a given length of time and to work a specific job set out by the employer and agreed to by the employee. No body, not the state , an individual or a mob has the right to take away ones right to work.

Basically this persons basic civil right to work was taken from her by a mob of angry lefty loudmouths. Where is the outrage from the civil rights moments? Where is the outcry form feminists? Where is the condemnation from bleeding heart political movements? All whistling in the wind....
    These people are nothing more than Fascists, all they are missing are a some brownshirts.

.......well, good morning sunshine to you too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

jank wrote: »

That's right its time we stopped whining on the internet and did something about this. Get out on the street and protest their right to protest. In a civil manner of course, no outlandish rhetoric.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nodin wrote: »
    .......well, good morning sunshine to you too.

Another drive by night comment Nodin... I take it you don't condone these actions?

Precisely my point. This thread isn't really about water meters, but the carry on of "protesters".

All it's going to take is one "protester" getting themselves seriously injured. Whether it's getting knocked down in the street by a car or in scuffles on the sites.

Plenty of people in that video seem more interested in insulting and attacking gardaí then they do making progress towards their goals on Irish Water.

It's a recipe for trouble:

• Self styled hard left "revolutionaries" (read: Career protesters) who have an axe to grind with gardaí.
    • Lots of bored kids who seem to love the fun of a big crowd v gardaí
    • Intimidation as a tactic

One incident turns an self-righteous mob into an angry one, all because the gardaí treat them with kid gloves and effectively give them free reign.

Have you actually watched that video?

Plenty of people to choose from, old, young you name it.

Their words of choice directed at the Gardai are, "Shame on you".

The problem you seem to be ignoring is that this has been building up over the past 6-7 years. Cut after cut to vital services, community services and incomes. Irish Water could well be the final straw that pushes people over the edge.

Charging people for water is directly affecting society, your ability to pay determines how much water you can afford. That is wrong and no wonder people are angry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The problem you seem to be ignoring is that this has been building up over the past 6-7 years. Cut after cut to vital services, community services and incomes. Irish Water could well be the final straw that pushes people over the edge.

Charging people for water is directly affecting society, your ability to pay determines how much water you can afford. That is wrong and no wonder people are angry.

So you don't want any cuts to services?

And you don't want any new revenue generating measures introduced?

Mmmkay

What's your alternative? - let me guess.

Money Fairies?

No. Garda are threatened from behind a fence by skangers, and one squares up to a lone garda walking through the crowd.

The composition of that crowd is obvious. There might be a few hard working people in there, but they'll soon grow tired of the BS antics. As it stands, the protesters are their own worst enemy when it comes to recruiting supporters from normal, everyday working people.

You have no alternative to the cuts. None. And yet you expect blind support. All your ilk will get is the angry vote - and even then that'll be unlikely to last after the next budget. Cuts simply had to happen in every major EU country. There was no other choice.

=Barely There;92440224]So you don't want any cuts to services?

Depends on the services, Education, Health? No I dont want cuts to these services.

And you don't want any new revenue generating measures introduced?

Certainly do, how about charging for water services and not water? A flat rate charge of €150 per household for the services of water?

Mmmkay

What's your alternative? - let me guess.

Money Fairies?

Ireland has one of the highest paid public services in Europe, how about we address that?

Not talking about low paid teachers etc, Im talking about all those on €100k plus.

Why is Enda Kenny still one of the best paid politicians in Europe?

THere are plenty of ways to cut money, but it would mean fairness, cutting the greed from politicians and those at the top and distributing money fairly.

We have just spent millions on upgrading our military, navel vessels, air missiles etc. Why not use that money elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

A friend of mine, a gard, has told me that the water meter debacle has created great divisions within the force.

Telling me that gards based in the north side, refusing to attend the estates with protests are being threatened with suspension. Many gards being drafted in from south side stations to attend northside protests.

Not good for moral I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

No. Garda are threatened from behind a fence by skangers, and one squares up to a lone garda walking through the crowd.

The composition of that crowd is obvious. There might be a few hard working people in there, but they'll soon grow tired of the BS antics. As it stands, the protesters are their own worst enemy when it comes to recruiting supporters from normal, everyday working people.

Skangers.

What a lovely way to talk about your fellow human/citizen.

If the lone Garda felt he was in danger or being threatened he has the full force of the law behind him.

I think you are missing the point, people are fed up with the Austerity attacks, being charged on water is the final straw for many.

You don't seem to realise the anger out there, Be it on Vin B last night, Radio phone ins, comments on RTE web pages or on boards.ie, there is a significant group of people who are fed up with this government and being charged on ability to pay for a vital service such as water is the final straw.

A friend of mine, a gard, has told me that the water meter debacle has created great divisions within the force.

Telling me that gards based in the north side, refusing to attend the estates with protests are being threatened with suspension. Many gards being drafted in from south side stations to attend northside protests.

Not good for moral I'd imagine.

This is pure and utter BS. Gardaí don't refuse orders - certainly not an order to keep the local riff raff in check.

Garda seen huge paycuts two years ago and there wasn't a single refusal to carry out duties. It's part of their oath to never align themselves politically, and it'd be a guards last day of they did.

This is pure and utter BS. Gardaí don't refuse orders - certainly not an order to keep the local riff raff in check.

Garda seen huge paycuts two years ago and there wasn't a single refusal to carry out duties. It's part of their oath to never align themselves politically, and it'd be a guards last day of they did.

Blue Flu

Gardaí refuse to issue car tax fines

Gardaí will refuse to issue fines for motor tax offences from today as part of a ratcheting up of their pay row with the Government.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/gardai-refuse-to-issue-car-tax-fines-224846.html

You forgetting the national flu days the Garda had, and the refusal to conduct motor tax checks Etc?

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1861-strikes-pickets-and-protests/470363-protesting-garda-go-sick-in-pay-dispute/

http://www.rte.ie/archives/exhibitions/1861-strikes-pickets-and-protests/470363-protesting-garda-go-sick-in-pay-dispute/

Selective memory, or just not suiting your particular argument?

Also, 'riff raff' good song by acdc, poor choice of words to describe people because they protest.

Skangers.

What a lovely way to talk about your fellow human/citizen.

If the lone Garda felt he was in danger or being threatened he has the full force of the law behind him.

I think you are missing the point, people are fed up with the Austerity attacks, being charged on water is the final straw for many.

You don't seem to realise the anger out there, Be it on Vin B last night, Radio phone ins, comments on RTE web pages or on boards.ie, there is a significant group of people who are fed up with this government and being charged on ability to pay for a vital service such as water is the final straw.

They are skangers. When you square up to a garda because you think you're brave with 200 mates at your back, you're a scumbag.

Forget the political issue here. This isn't protest behavior. This is carry-on that normally plagues Dublin city center and housing estates. And yet you seem to think it's fine because he was a garda - a garda should be the last person you should be randomly squaring up to.

Whats your own attitude towards this?

Angry people on TV, radio, internet!!?? Jesus, no! Leinster House will be burning tomorrow.... :rolleyes:

Pretty par for the course in any peaceful democracy around the world. Go to the UK, France, USA, Germany, Australia... every country has angry people on TV moaning about their government.

Paying for water isn't the final straw that brings down Ireland's totalitarian government. It's a fact of life in every country.

Ireland's politics are very skewed to the left. Ireland "right of center" politics makes the UK look like very far right, and would cause a communist red alert in the USA. Yet even in those countries (who both have water charges), getting your water cut off takes years of non-payment and is a last resort. It remains cheap and everyone just accepts that when you use a service, you should have to pay for it.
    I retract this: You don't seem to have this viewpoint. I'd be 99% sure you actually depend on the government for a lot more than just free water.

I'd be 99% sure you actually depend on the government for a lot more than just free water.

Ok...... :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

I'd be 99% sure you actually depend on the government for a lot more than just free water.

Is this kinda crap really necessary Dean?

Divide and conquer has been achieved.

Well done Govt.

=Dean0088;92440411]T
    hey are skangers. When you square up to a garda because you think you're brave with 200 mates at your back, you're a scumbag.

Ive squared up to a Garda before, because the Garda was wrong. I refused to back down over a unjust. Guess what, I won.

Just because someone wheres a uniform dosent make them right, there are many cases of a Garda breaking the law. People have the right to question the actions of any Guard.

Forget the political issue here. This isn't protest behavior. This is carry-on that normally plagues Dublin city center and housing estates. And yet you seem to think it's fine because he was a garda - a garda should be the last person you should be randomly squaring up to.

Like I said previously, If the Garda felt he was in danger or a law was beign broken he has the full protection of the law behind him should he want to ae an arrest. The guard on this occasion didnt feel he needed too, if the guard was happy with the situation why are you so unhappy?
    Whats your own attitude towards this?

To what? People protest, I agree with their rights. Water Charges? I disagree with the way its been set up, I don't believe we should be charging for water usage but do believe we should charge for water services.
    Angry people on TV, radio, internet!!?? Jesus, no! Leinster House will be burning tomorrow.... :rolleyes:

You dont want people to protests, you dont want them on the media, what other way can they complain? Wait for a GE every 4-5 years and vote for a lying political party who promise one thing and do another?
    Pretty par for the course in any peaceful democracy around the world. Go to the UK, France, USA, Germany, Australia... every country has angry people on TV moaning about their government.

Yes they do, but not all of those countries have had 7 years of Austerity.

In Greece Golden Dawn are sweeping up huge numbers of people who would normally have held them in disgust, but when the main political parties refuse to serve the people the people look elsewhere.
    Paying for water isn't the final straw that brings down Ireland's totalitarian government. It's a fact of life in every country.

We already pay for water, we have had 7 years of austerity. People have had enough. Smaller things have brought down government, in many cases this is the final straw. Its time people like you woke up and realised these videos are showing and highlighting anger.
    Ireland's politics are very skewed to the left. Ireland "right of center" politics makes the UK look like very far right, and would cause a communist red alert in the USA. Yet even in those countries (who both have water charges), getting your water cut off takes years of non-payment and is a last resort. It remains cheap and everyone just accepts that when you use a service, you should have to pay for it.

Look at what the governemnt did for property tax, they gave revenue permission to dip into wages, welfare and pensions.

You dont see that sort of practice in other countries until court action has happened.
    You don't seem to have this viewpoint. I'd be 99% sure you actually depend on the government for a lot more than just free water.

The government depends on the people, least you never forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

=Dean0088;92440411]

Its time people like you woke up and realised these videos are showing and highlighting anger.

I think most right-thinking people who watch the videos realise fairly quickly that they are showing and highlighting Scanger-knacks engaged in anti-social behaviour.

Advertisement