Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

The rise of our entitlement culture is to blame.

Look no further than politicians!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Your solution?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

The vast, vast majority of politicians in this country work incredibly hard and aren't worthy of a comment like that...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nah, they just get paid for the job they do.

Anatom wrote: »
    The vast, vast majority of politicians in this country work incredibly hard and aren't worthy of a comment like that...

Who are these hard working politicians you speak off?

• Advertisement

Who are these hard working politicians you speak off?

All of the ones I've ever met or worked with over the years - from councillors to Ministers - of all parties.

But of course they're easy to target with a blanket comment, aren't they?

All of the ones I've ever met or worked with over the years - from councillors to Ministers - of all parties.

But of course they're easy to target with a blanket comment, aren't they?

Please give examples.

Please give examples.

I really don't want to fuel whatever line you want this conversation to take, so perhaps you'd tell me which politicians you think don't work hard?

Seeing as you seem to disagree with my assertion, perhaps you'd give an example yourself.

I really don't want to fuel whatever line you want this conversation to take, so perhaps you'd tell me which politicians you think don't work hard?

Seeing as you seem to disagree with my assertion, perhaps you'd give an example yourself.

I'm happy to say that anyone in government is a career politician and are there to fill their pockets.

If you disagree please provide an example of where I'm wrong?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

... are there to fill their pockets.

The cheek of them, expecting to get paid to do a job.

• Advertisement

I'm happy to say that anyone in government is a career politician and are there to fill their pockets.

So, what would Ireland's last Marxist do instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

So Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness, Mary Lou, Joe Higgins et al are all the same? Or do they not count because they are not in power?

The cheek of them, expecting to get paid to do a job.

Not at all,

Of course they should get paid, and a fair expenses system should be in place.

However I firmly believe that any politician should;

Only receive the average salary when the country is running a deficit.

Should only receive a pension that is comparable to the national average.

Should only be able to receive 1 pension from the state.

Receive that pension at the same retirement age as the rest of the country.

At a time of Austerity it is a disgrace that people like Kenny can retire tomorrow on multiple state pensions paying thousands just as Cowen and Bertie have done.

So Gerry Adams, Martin McGuinness, Mary Lou, Joe Higgins et al are all the same? Or do they not count because they are not in power?

Hard to say, it's what they do when they get into power and how they practice fairness to the citizens.

As for SF they live on the average wage so they are at least more in touch with the average citizen, unlike Kenny who still is one of the best paid politicians in Europe despite the country he leads having debts of over 200 billion and a annual deficit of 7 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Only receive the average salary when the country is running a deficit.

Should only receive a pension that is comparable to the national average.

You won't get anyone leaving their day job to become a politician.
    As for SF they live on the average wage so they are at least more in touch with the average citizen, unlike Kenny who still is one of the best paid politicians in Europe despite the country he leads having debts of over 200 billion and a annual deficit of 7 billion.

I never believe this, as one of their most prominent members has a nice holiday hide away for himself, and had no problem taking the queens shilling when he never actually went to Westminster to sit. And another that I know has quite a nice house, more so than what your average citizen has, and , drives, or at least drove, a top of the range car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Hard to say, it's what they do when they get into power and how they practice fairness to the citizens.

I don't know many people living on an average wage that can take first class round trips to Australia, other than Sinn Fein members of course. It's sad to see people so easily fooled. Sure they only withdraw average wage from their salary. But the rest goes to the party and they just use it for their expenses. Nothing but an accounting trick to fool their target audience into thinking they are just like them.

I don't know many people living on an average wage that can take first class round trips to Australia, other than Sinn Fein members of course. It's sad to see people so easily fooled. Sure they only withdraw average wage from their salary. But the rest goes to the party and they just use it for their expenses. Nothing but an accounting trick to fool their target audience into thinking they are just like them.

Did you contact SF to ask how that trip was funded?

For all you know it could have been paid directly by Mary Lou or perhaps some businessman paid for her to come out there?

So what if they draw down a average salary and the rest goes to the party?

The fact remains that SF TDs live on the average industrial wage where FG, FF and Labour TDS don't.

People like Enda Kenny still earn one of give best salaries in Europe for a politician despite Ireland being one of Europes smallest countries and in debt per capita.

despite Ireland being one of Europes smallest countries and in debt per capita.

What is your solution to that btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

For all you know it could have been paid directly by Mary Lou or perhaps some businessman paid for her to come out there?

The fact remains that SF TDs live on the average industrial wage where FG, FF and Labour TDS don't.

People like Enda Kenny still earn one of give best salaries in Europe for a politician despite Ireland being one of Europes smallest countries and in debt per capita.

Some businessmen used to give Charlie and Bertie a bit of a dig out too. And a businessman gave Gerry a digout when he went to America for his private medical treatment.

What is your solution to that btw?

To what?

• Advertisement

Some businessmen used to give Charlie and Bertie a bit of a dig out too. And a businessman gave Gerry a digout when he went to America for his private medical treatment.

And?

What's the point here?

I have no issue with people getting dig outs providing it dosent effect their job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

She said it was paid from party funds. Why would I want to ask them something they already said. So she claims average wage, puts the rest into the party and uses it to fly first class to oz. forgive me if I am not in awe of their shallow man of the people act.

To what?

Vast government debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

What's the point here?

I have no issue with people getting dig outs providing it dosent effect their job.

I don't get you, you get all high and mighty about some things but have no issues with dig outs to politicians ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Name one European country that isn't "in debt per capita"?
    (Bar possibly Luxembourg)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

It's a sub-section of the electorate that don't take much fooling in fairness.

Their current economic proposals include the abolition of the property tax and water charges while still maintaining services.

The shortfall is to be made up by a combination of money trees, taxing 'the rich' and bondholder burning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Another drive by night comment Nodin... I take it you don't condone these actions?

I support the right to strike, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Sick burn and so original.

Now call me a sheep and then tell me to "bend over and take it" (a concept which i find to be quite insulting and homophobic/anti-woman because it assumes that someone doing that is somehow automatically degraded).

http://gamerindebt.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/double-facepalm.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Nodin wrote: »
    I support the right to strike, thanks.

Strike? Are these protestors working for Irish water now? lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

jank wrote: »
    Strike? Are these protestors working for Irish water now? lol

O, that. Yes, they have the right to protest.

Advertisement