Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

The rise of our entitlement culture is to blame.

I couldn't agree more. I don't understand why people think should be handed everything for free yet be paid in the hundreds of thousands.
    Look no further than politicians!

Ah yes because they are to blame everything that goes wrong in the world.

Typical unhelpful and untrue blanket statement.

She said it was paid from party funds. Why would I want to ask them something they already said. So she claims average wage, puts the rest into the party and uses it to fly first class to oz. forgive me if I am not in awe of their shallow man of the people act.

Unlike FG , Labour or FF who claim full wages and still fly around the world at someone else expense!

I'm happy to say that anyone in government is a career politician and are there to fill their pockets.

If you disagree please provide an example of where I'm wrong?

You clearly haven't had any dealings with any in person.

Valetta wrote: »
    Name one European country that isn't "in debt per capita"?
    (Bar possibly Luxembourg)

But how many have as much dept per capita as us?

You clearly haven't had any dealings with any in person.

In fact I have, that's why I feel qualified to make the statement!

• Advertisement

Vast government debt.

Plenty of options, but if I listed them some selfish people in here would be spitting over their tea and crumpet!

In fact I have, that's why I feel qualified to make the statement!

If you had, you'd know how wrong you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Plenty of options, but if I listed them some selfish people in here would be spitting over their tea and crumpet!

Shame.

We were about to have some knowledge imparted!

Unfortunately you would rather spoof instead.

If you had, you'd know how wrong you are.

Really?

Good old Bertie finding money in suitcases and winning on the GG`s.

Is he tax compliant yet?

Shame.

We were about to have some knowledge imparted!

Unfortunately you would rather spoof instead.

Corporation tax is 12.5%.

Effective rate?

The headline corporate tax rate is 12.5%. However, the Irish tax regime has generated a considerable amount of controversy over the past number of years. US Senate hearings held last June into the tax affairs of Apple found that the tech giant had used Ireland to lower its tax rate on international earnings to just under 2%.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/effective-corporate-tax-rate-under-11-264661.html

Imagine how much we could collect in revenue if we only just collected the actual real rates!

• Advertisement

Imagine how much we could collect in revenue if we only just collected the actual real rates!

Why imagine?

Please tell us how much it would bring in?

Give us figures.
    Then subtract the taxes you are against (ie: water). Then take that from €12bn and see how you got on in deficit reduction vs the government.

Be sure to show your work...

Really?

Good old Bertie finding money in suitcases and winning on the GG`s.

Is he tax compliant yet?

And every single TD, Minster, MEP, Senator, local representative, backbencher, party member, independent etc is just like Bertie are they?

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

Corporation tax is 12.5%.

Effective rate?

The headline corporate tax rate is 12.5%. However, the Irish tax regime has generated a considerable amount of controversy over the past number of years. US Senate hearings held last June into the tax affairs of Apple found that the tech giant had used Ireland to lower its tax rate on international earnings to just under 2%.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/business/effective-corporate-tax-rate-under-11-264661.html

The 12.5% and the 2% quoted are not based on the same figure.

We do collect CT from Apple, Google etc. at the "real" rate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Valetta

But how many have as much dept per capita as us?

Ah.. so you've edited your previous post to clarify that having dept per capita does not, in fact make us unique?

Valetta wrote: »
    The 12.5% and the 2% quoted are not based on the same figure.

We do collect CT from Apple, Google etc. at the "real" rate.

Is he mistaking revenue for profit?

Rookie mistake!

Why imagine?

Please tell us how much it would bring in?

Give us figures.
    Then subtract the taxes you are against (ie: water). Then take that from €12bn and see how you got on in deficit reduction vs the government.

Be sure to show your work...

12 billion? Where did you get that figure from?

The governments own figures state that the projected deficit will be 9.6 Billion.

Also I have given you one measure, in fact I have mentioned several measures including charging for water services but not water, cutting TD salaries.

Stop trying to pretend that there is a one stop all fix, I am offering options instead of the usual attack the poor type of taxes we keep seeing introduced.

As for how much would we get if we actually collected the real amount of corporation tax? I don't know, but I would say it would be significant.

I have heard figures mentioned that suggest around 1 -4 billion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Scabs out ?

Scabs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

the_monkey wrote: »
    Scabs out ?

Scabs ?

Yup

Because

"Hard working taxpayers who dare to cross our picket line"

was too long for them and they kept forgetting their lines.

12 billion? Where did you get that figure from?

The governments own figures state that the projected deficit will be 9.6 Billion.

Also I have given you one measure, in fact I have mentioned several measures including charging for water services but not water, cutting TD salaries.

Stop trying to pretend that there is a one stop all fix, I am offering options instead of the usual attack the poor type of taxes we keep seeing introduced.

As for how much would we get if we actually collected the real amount of corporation tax? I don't know, but I would say it would be significant.

I have heard figures mentioned that suggest around 1 -4 billion.

Being as knowledgeable as you are you will know that the primary budget deficit peaked at around €12bn.

That's what the current government faced when elected & will successfully eliminate by year end.

You alluded repeatedly (contrary to evidence) that the government are failing to deal with debt.

So, put yourself in their shoes.

They got the primary deficit from 12bn to zero.if they are so bad, what would you have done better?

Its a simple task for one with all the answers!

And every single TD, Minster, MEP, Senator, local representative, backbencher, party member, independent etc is just like Bertie are they?

:rolleyes:

You made the claim that I shouldn't be making the assumption that politicians were in it for the money.

I have just provided you with an example, now you want more?

:D

I could keep going but you would keep moving the goal posts.

• Advertisement

Being as knowledgeable as you are you will know that the primary budget deficit peaked at around €12bn.

That's what the current government faced when elected & will successfully eliminate by year end.

You alluded repeatedly (contrary to evidence) that the government are failing to deal with debt.

So, put yourself in their shoes.

They got the primary deficit from 12bn to zero.if they are so bad, what would you have done better?

Its a simple task for one with all the answers!

They got the primary deficit down by Austerity, Emigration, off balance sheet debt, and creative accounting. The one thing they didn't do was to hurt anyone on big salaries including their own.

How about we stop paying interest on the debt, that would wipe out the budget deficit overnight.

They got the primary deficit down by Austerity, Emigration, off balance sheet debt, and creative accounting. The one thing they didn't do was to hurt anyone on big salaries including their own.

How about we stop paying interest on the debt, that would wipe out the budget deficit overnight.

Yes.... Reducing spending & increasing taxes is called austerity.... Well done for noticing that. It isn't financial chicanery to cut expenditure.

So your solution is to default? Terrific... be grand! No negative consequences there.
    (Which is effectively refusing to honour debt repayments amounts to).

We're looking for answers.... Numbers.
    Not clichés.

Please don't let us down so far in!

Yes.... Reducing spending & increasing taxes is called austerity.... Well done for noticing that. It isn't financial chicanery to cut expenditure.

So your solution is to default? Terrific... be grand!
    (Which is effectively refusing to honour debt repayments amounts to).

Were looking for answers.... Numbers.
    Not clichés.

Please don't let us down so far in!

Who said default?

I said stop paying the interest.

The EU will still get their money back, just under our terms which would be interest free.

No more Austerity, no more "tough decisions" for the government.

Who said default?

The EU will still get their money back, just under our terms which would be interest free.

Will you stop paying interest on your mortgage?

Who said default?

Except that refusing to repay interest on loans is effectively a default.... You may pretend otherwise.
    Considering the vast majority of government debt is held by pension funds & savings..... To consider it consequence free is moronic.

So..... Still waiting for how you would get rid of the primary deficit.

We know you would pull an Argentina on the debt interest.

What about the €12 bn deficit the government faced just running the country?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭DarkyHughes

wprathead wrote: »
    I would view myself as a left-wing leaning individual.. but then I see that these are the type of muppets who you would be associated with. Is all rather disheartening..

Don't you can make a shift to the right & become a keyboard warrior like most people on AH.

Will you stop paying interest on your mortgage?

Many people can and have. Its called negotiation. Something Kenny promised and them forgot about.

Many people can and have. Its called negotiation. Something Kenny promised and them forgot about.

I asked

Will YOU stop paying interest on YOUR mortgage?

Except that refusing to repay interest on loans is effectively a default.... You may pretend otherwise.
    Considering the vast majority of government debt is held by pension funds & savings..... To consider it consequence free is moronic.

So..... Still waiting for how you would get rid of the primary deficit.

We know you would pull an Argentina on the debt interest.

What about the €12 bn deficit the government faced just running the country?

Faced with us paying back 0, or paying back the money we borrowed interest free im fairly sure they will take option B.

Hell, why not even go full hog and ask for a stay on the repayments, tell the EU that once the country is generating enough money we will start our repayments, but whilst we still have huge debt and deficits we wont.

simple negotiations what we need, the negotiations that we were promised.

• Advertisement

I asked

Will YOU stop paying interest on YOUR mortgage?

If I had more money going out than I had coming in then yes I would negotiate with the bank to stop paying interest until such time I could afford to do so.

The bank would even allow me to defer some of the debt repayment and add it onto the end of the term.

Thats called being prudent.

Advertisement