Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Why do these people feel they are above the Guards, yer ones talking to the cop like he's a 6yr old.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,587 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

This attitude is a new thing, wouldn't have seen people chatting to the Guards like that 10 or 20yrs ago, you would have got a slap.

Think people feel they have loads of power now that mobile phones are recording everything, and they can act the absolute dickhead all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

Wait, do people here think the guards should be allowed to slap someone for having a bad attitude?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

SweetChaos wrote: »

Her son probably was out of order but of course he is the victim and this mouth used all the cameras on her to make her point and abuse the guards as she saw fit

Probably.

He's a big gard to be throttling a 15 year old tbh. Why didn't he answer her?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

NIMAN wrote: »
    This attitude is a new thing, wouldn't have seen people chatting to the Guards like that 10 or 20yrs ago, you would have got a slap.

Think people feel they have loads of power now that mobile phones are recording everything, and they can act the absolute dickhead all the time.

They have a tough job as it is but now with every scumbag recording their every move must be hard

I see these scum saying that anything that happens out in the public can be recorded and shared because it is part of the constitutional rights

A law needs to be brought in to protect peoples privacy like the workers for irish water or the guards or anyone for that matter to protect them from having the pictures taken an uploaded for all to see when they are just going about their daily business

These protesters think they are hardmen with their camera phones and it needs to stop

Probably.

He already answered her 10 seconds in she said so
    She just wanted her 15 mins of fame by getting him to say it again look at it again

And why wasn't the 15 year old in school

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭ireland.man

So there should be a law against filming guards and they should be allowed to get the sly dig in when someone shows them attitude, people are arguing here! Hilarious and disturbing at the same time!

He already answered her 10 seconds in she said so
    She just wanted her 15 mins of fame by getting him to say it again look at it again
    No he didn't she said that he already answered that he did. (which he denied)

So he already admitted that he assaulted her son?

Great community relations there gardai
    And why wasn't the 15 year old in school

I don't know tbh. Do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

What i love about these videos there always titled Garda Brutality ,Garda brutally man handling young man or woman ,

Yet theres next to nothing in them except some skangers mouthing off

• Advertisement

They have a tough job as it is but now with every scumbag recording their every move must be hard

I see these scum saying that anything that happens out in the public can be recorded and shared because it is part of the constitutional rights

A law needs to be brought in to protect peoples privacy like the workers for irish water or the guards or anyone for that matter to protect them from having the pictures taken an uploaded for all to see when they are just going about their daily business

These protesters think they are hardmen with their camera phones and it needs to stop

Scumbag, scumbag, scumbags.......

I've watched these videos repeatedly now.

I've seen residents from (they look anyway) respectable enough estates, I've seen them with their hands in the air, definitely not assaulting gards or the installers.

Scumbags why :confused:

Because they're standing up for themselves???

Also, I think the gards are countering the video surveillance with their own recordings.
    Odd they've not released much for the rest of us to exonerate themselves.

**takes off tinfoil headwear. **

No he didn't she said that he already answered that he did.

So he already admitted that he assaulted her son?

Great community relations there gardai

I don't know tbh. Do you?

She said he just answered her a minute ago then they got out the cameras and she confronted him again She got her answer and then wanted him to answer her again. The guards dont go out to maliciously target people they dont want to be there as much as the next person but they have to follow orders if there is public unrest they have to assist She just wanted to to get it on camera to make it look like they were the victims cause they can do no wrong they have the placards after all

and no I dont know why he wasn't in school his mammy probably wrote him a note for a sick day who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

These neighborhood mobs are doing no future favors for themselves shouting abuse at the gardai.

She said he just answered her a minute ago then they got out the cameras and she confronted him again She got her answer and then wanted him to answer her again.
    So he did assault her son?
    The guards dont go out to maliciously target people they dont want to be there as much as the next person but they have to follow orders if there is public unrest they have to assist She just wanted to to get it on camera to make it look like they were the victims cause they can do no wrong they have the placards after all

I agree, however the gards have a duty to protect the citizens also.
    and no I dont know why he wasn't in school his mammy probably wrote him a note for a sick day who knows

Probably again.

papu wrote: »
    These neighborhood mobs are doing no future favors for themselves shouting abuse at the gardai.

yes and when they need the guards for a genuine matter will they be screaming at them and shoving a phone in their face then

yes and yes need the guards for a genuine matter will they be screaming at them and shoving a phone in their face then

Or they will be too busy to be of assistance. Tied up protecting a private company installing meters against the residents wishes?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Or they will be too busy to be of assistance. Tied up protecting workers against the residents harassment?

fyp.

Or they will be too busy to be of assistance. Tied up protecting a private company installing meters against the residents wishes?

Well looking at the dsn videos at the start it was just about 6 -8 max protesting (career protesters that will protest anything) then when the guards came in all the hoodies and tracksuits and housewives with nothing better to do joined in

of course the workers who are installing the meteres have no rights against harassment

the meters have and are going in they want to protest do it at the government buildings not the ordinary joe going about his job

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wait, do people here think the guards should be allowed to slap someone for having a bad attitude?

She should have been thrown to the ground and handcuffed and dragged away for breach of the peace, Do that to a few of them.and lock them up for 24 hours and see how ****ing brave and mouthy they are then.

Probably.

Maybe he isn't that big and she is small, Do you have a video of this alleged trottling of the 15 year old or are you just caught up in the righteous indignation of the obviously edited clips?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Also, I think the gards are countering the video surveillance with their own recordings.
    Odd they've not released much for the rest of us to exonerate themselves.

**takes off tinfoil headwear. **

The footage is taken in case one of the protesters makes an official complaint that a garda did x, y or z.

It's not being filmed to be released as a "gotcha!" clip on the Youtubes for all of us to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

For people talking about Ireland being a police state or a type of totalitarian regime here is a video from Poland.

The police must have shares in a rubber bullet company and the special police pick out ringleaders to kick them in the head until unconscious.

And this is a fellow EU country, there are much heavier tactics being used elsewhere the world.

Polish riot police against anarchist youth: http://youtu.be/TyYymliEbHo

The footage is taken in case one of the protesters makes an official complaint that a garda did x, y or z.

It's not being filmed to be released as a "gotcha!" clip on the Youtubes for all of us to see.

The Gards frequently release videos of protests, or of themselves coming under attack from members of the public.

Strange they haven't released any such videos from these estate's, estates which seem to be decisively middle class going from the houses in the videos.

Like I said, it'd be a surefire way of getting the public back on side, as they're quite evidently losing support and trust from many over the head of water meters.

Good lad Enda, good lad Gards.
    She should have been thrown to the ground and handcuffed and dragged away for breach of the peace, Do that to a few of them.and lock them up for 24 hours and see how ****ing brave and mouthy they are then.

You used to be a soldier in the British army if I recall correctly.

I know that's part and parcel of that particular defence force, especially in places like the north.

That's numerous times you've advocated using violence against peaceful protestors and women and children.

Still the auld appetite for head smashing I see? Didn't you get your fill of that kind of carry on back then?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

For people talking about Ireland being a police state or a type of totalitarian regime here is a video from Poland.

The police must have shares in a rubber bullet company and the special police pick out ringleaders to kick them in the head until unconscious.

And this is a fellow EU country, there are much heavier tactics being used elsewhere the world.

Polish riot police against anarchist youth: http://youtu.be/TyYymliEbHo

Be careful what you wish for Cadence Old-fashioned Lumberman.

We currently hear many of the dissenting voices telling of how Water Charges in Dublin (Most of the rest of the country have always paid for their water,one way or another) were defeated back in the 1990's etc.

The world of "Activism" however has moved on apace,with the Internet now offering new and broad based avenues of connection worldwide.

You can bet your sweet bippy that the mechanics of these "Peoples Protests" are being carefully watched and orchestrated by a small number of folks,who will rarely,if ever,figure in a video-clip themselves.

In the broader context,it is vital for these Orchestrators,that the Gardai are seen to be Heavyhanded,Facists,Bullies etc etc...

However,thus far,Garda tactics have largely presented an image of bemused indifference as people attempt to gloss-over the fact that own their lack of Political awareness & interest has resulted in a shed-load of LAW,much of which is now in place for a decade,to facilitate the new Water Charging Regime.

It is indeed supremely ironic that the more significant incidents are occurring in the former heartland of the old Fíanna Faíl guard....CJ Haughey,Raphael Burke,Bertie Aherne, etc etc who were usually recipients of several quota's and returned at the first count....

There were few protests when Domestic Rates were interfered with,even fewer when Motor Tax was abolished,nobody spoke up to ask where the "abolished" taxes were to be recouped from.

Of course today,nobody can be found who will admit to ever voting for them....but the fact remains,even though 50% Voter Turnout's were the norm,people voted IN LARGE numbers for those Politicians who laid the ground for these new systems.

The Protest on Saturday 11th will be an interesting event,as it will be seen as a very strong weather-vane as to the remainder of the process.

Whether the protest will be one based upon actual disagreement with the current IW setup OR will become one more directly focused on "Activism" and "Regime Change" remains to be seen.

Ireland,the Irish and their Societal structure,has never been all that "Activist Friendly",with even our more successful examples having to struggle in order to maintain visibility in a society that largely values peace & quiet,with a "bit of Craic" as more important than establishing a truly equitable,fairer Society etc etc...

With this in mind,the current Garda Tactics may well turn out to be far more suited to us than those Polish Police were to them ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

The Gards frequently release videos of protests, or of themselves coming under attack from members of the public.

Strange they haven't released any such videos from these estate's, estates which seem to be decisively middle class going from the houses in the videos.

Like I said, it'd be a surefire way of getting the public back on side, as they're quite evidently losing support and trust from many over the head of water meters.

Good lad Enda, good lad Gards.

You used to be a soldier in the British army if I recall correctly.

I know that's part and parcel of that particular defence force, especially in places like the north.

That's numerous times you've advocated using violence against peaceful protestors and women and children.

Still the auld appetite for head smashing I see? Didn't you get your fill of that kind of carry on back then?

I don't recall ever saying i served up north and am positive i never said i bashed any heads so not sure why the personal attack?

I don't recall ever saying i served up north and am positive i never said i bashed any heads so not sure why the personal attack?

I never said you served up north, but I'm certain the British army did.

And it's hardly a personal attack, I just keep asking myself what would have someone's head so full of anger and rage that they keep on advocating protestors to be baton charged, pepper sprayed, and put on their backs and be handcuffed. Anyone would know that scenario would certainly do the gards no favours in areas they're working in.

Then I remembered you had served with her majesties finest.

It all made sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

I think it's fairly obvious that the hard left and many of the IW protest groups are pretty close to fringe republican groups. So a former BA member voicing an opinion is the antithesis of their political goals for the island of Ireland.

Of course, they live in a dreamland where their new, fledgling democracy with no taxes and free speech is somehow accompanied by the suppression of those who disagree with them or took a job in the British military. We're dealing with idiots here...

I never said you served up north, but I'm certain the British army did.

And it's hardly a personal attack, I just keep asking myself what would have someone's head so full of anger and rage that they keep on advocating protestors to be baton charged, pepper sprayed, and put on their backs and be handcuffed. Anyone would know that scenario would certainly do the gards no favours in areas they're working in.

Then I remembered you had served with her majesties finest.

It all made sense.

I think most normal Irish people's relationships with AGS is one of viewing them as peacekeepers. They have their issues, mostly at the top of the chain. Most of us have very little interaction with AGS other than getting a form stamped or attending big events. However, they're there if we need them. The average garda on the street is pretty well respected and, generally, they're quite an approachable force.

So when video after video of Gardaí dealing with torrents of abuse (most of which contains little to no political motivation), and the gardaí fail to respond with arrests, it's infuriating.

The sense of entitlement is also overwhelming. Blocking the táinistes car was allowed to proceed for 5 minutes. These protesters user disabled pensioners to block the road and when gardaí try to move them (very very gingerly, barely touching the guy) they're called scumbags etc... I'm no fan of the táiniste and can't wait to see her ejected from government at the next GE. However, I respect her position as the deputy leader of the country and if I have an issue with her (personal or political), I won't take it up with her by calling her vial names from a crowd.

The person holding the video threatens to pull the garda driver out of the car, and gets thick with another guard who places a hand on him to direct him out of the way of the car.

I want to see the garda use pepperspray or batons because this traveling circus is wasting time and breaking the law. Not because I enjoy seeing violence, but because I think groups of people shouldn't be allowed to act with impunity right in a national police forces face.

This thread is primarily about the behaviour of protesters, not the actual IW issue. I've yet to see a video of an actual peaceful protest that doesn't break the law or descend into a group of "adults" acting like hyper children when the teacher leaves the classroom.

Dean0088 wrote: »
    I think it's fairly obvious that the hard left and many of the IW protest groups are pretty close to fringe republican groups.

Yeah, all part of the master plan, anyone who disagrees with the Govt must be a shinner/provo/crusty left or socialist.

Fail.
    So a former BA member voicing an opinion is the antithesis of their political goals for the island of Ireland.

I think I made my self quite clear on why I even mentioned the fact he is a former British soldier.

I don't see anyone on here advocating the protestors start knocking lumps out of the gards. Yet a former soldier keeps advocating violence against the protestors. Even a mother complaining about her child.
    Of course, they live in a dreamland where their new, fledgling democracy with no taxes and free speech is somehow accompanied by the suppression of those who disagree with them or took a job in the British military. We're dealing with idiots here...

What :confused:

• Advertisement

Yeah, all part of the master plan, anyone who disagrees with the Govt must be a shinner/provo/crusty left or socialist.

Fail.

The organizers of these protests are almost exclusively hard left or republican groups. The career protesters (many of whom it's very easy to identify by name) are parts of these groups.
    I think I made my self quite clear on why I even mentioned the fact he is a former British soldier.

I don't see anyone on here advocating the protestors start knocking lumps out of the gards. Yet a former soldier keeps advocating violence against the protestors. Even a mother complaining about her child.

I have old classmates and friends who have either traveled to England or gone up north to join the BA. It's a job. Anyone who displays any kind of harsh political views or keen interest in the issues of Northern Ireland will not get through the interview stage. Same goes for any force in Ireland and the UK - army, garda etc..

Other than the fact that one of the contractor companies is from NI, I don't see how NI, the UK or anyone status as a BA soldier (past or present) is relevant.

This is an Irish issue. I really think you were just trying to whip up support for your posts by highlighting another posters former role in the BA, seeing as many of the supporters of the protesters are extreme republican and, by extension, likely to target a BA solider's posts.

Advertisement