Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Kippure wrote: »
    maybe a civil war is needed...

So..... This civil war you call for....

What will the sides be?

Will you grace the nation with your return or pour scorn from foreign lands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

You must live in a nice neighbour hood in Ireland.

Lets see how light handed the gardai are.

Mayday.
    Corrib.
    Student protests in Dublin.
    Palestine Protests
    Irish water.

I live in Dublin in your average housing estate. Not glamorous but not exactly Compton either.

I'm familiar with all those protests. And I attended the Student Protests in 2010 and walked past the department of finance. As usual, it was hijacked by Eirigi and United Left type protesters encouraging 18 year olds to throw crap at gardaí. Of the 30,000 marchers that day perhaps 200 actually caused trouble. Most had intended to do so by diverting to the DoF and smashing their way into the lobby.

Guards responded with batons. That's not heavy handed in the slightest. Getting a smack of a baton isn't a big event in someones life nor is it representative of a brutal police state. It's for being an idiot and not moving off the road when asked a thousand times to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

So..... This civil war you call for....

What will the sides be?

Will you grace the nation with your return or pour scorn from foreign lands.

If I could make your life better buddy I would.

Infact if a new political party was born from foreigns lands, that represented the Irish people, that wouldn't be a bad idea.

And yes I do pour scorn on the government from foreign lands.

I see "A Gang" of "THUGS" who are accountable to no one.

I don't pour scorn on the Irish people living through terrible times.

I wish a better quality of life for all the Irish on the Island of Ireland.

But misery pain and bad health to those who oppress the good people of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Dean0088 wrote: »
    My real fear is that when you gather a load of local idiots in one area, and the gardaí treat them with kid gloves, they can grow braver and braver. One incident could spark a situation like London 2011 riots.

Well at least you're not hysterical or anything.

You seriously think the lack of tear gas, kettling and skull cracking might actually lead to rioting? Thank fcuk you're not in charge of how the gardai handle this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

The protesters love their cameras.

99.9% of the time it just shows that the protesters are a bunch of idiots and that the guards were actually soft when dealing with them.

• Advertisement

You know what dean, your right.
    I think we the Irish will never stand up for ourselves.
    We just keep been beaten down and accepting it.
    And the governments of the day know that.
    I would like to think some day we might stand up for ourselves against what only be called nowadays as Government Oppression.
    As a poster said above, maybe a civil war is needed...

All these protests are pointless when you really think about it.
    Nothing but shouting and pushing.

"Government Opression"? Really? Take a look at Hong Kong or Russia for oppression. Isn't Ireland ranked fairly high in terms of freedom? :confused::pac:

Irish people don't protest or (:rolleyes:) try to start a war because there's no need at all. Plus, given the kind of idiots who seem to want to be at the forefront of this glorious red revolution, anyone with a brain would think twice about following them into battle :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

there's a tacit acceptance that as a modern country it's pretty much a requirement.

how is it a requirement in a modern country? when the money could be taken from income tax. ireland being a modern country doesn't mean we have to water charges. if there is really an acceptance of charges its by simpletons who will just keep paying every single charge no matter what. even if they end up on the streets because they can't pay the mortgage because they have to pay gambling debt taxes.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

On their FB page they have the following:
    We encourage anyone and everyone, no matter what your own political views are, to join us.
    We each have our own political views and we each have our own visions of what the future Ireland should look like.
    What we all do have in common is the fact that we want 'change', a change that will benefit all of us.
    All we ask is that NO political banners/flags etc are carried - this is a 'Peoples' march.
    That sounds good, but then they upload this kind of drivel:

cringe worthy stuff altogether

Well at least you're not hysterical or anything.

You seriously think the lack of tear gas, kettling and skull cracking might actually lead to rioting? Thank fcuk you're not in charge of how the gardai handle this stuff.

I didn't call for pointless garda violence. I called for gardaí to get tough and arrest 50+ people in one go to send a message. These guys are uploading videos every 15 minutes to show how soft the gardaí are being.

In several videos, little scrotes attack Irish water cars, assault gardaí and take advantage of the big crowd.

It's very easy for a crowd to grow brave in a short space of time. As London (and elsewhere) proved, political issues of the few are hijacked by scumbags to go ape****.

I'm not saying it's going to happen and I'm sure the guards would put a stop to anything major kicking off. But better police forces than our own have been left powerless once a little crowd gets brave in a housing estate. All it takes is a few people to realise that the guards aren't prepared to deal with a traveling circus of protesters for the next year.

You seriously think the lack of tear gas, kettling and skull cracking might actually lead to rioting?

ah shur begorra begosh it will, of course he fails to realize that kettling is only used where the police are fat, lazy, and good for nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I feel sorry for the woman in the first video getting abuse like that, but who in their right minds would pass a workers picket?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Hold the Cheez Whiz

how is it a requirement in a modern country? when the money could be taken from income tax. ireland being a modern country doesn't mean we have to water charges. if there is really an acceptance of charges its by simpletons who will just keep paying every single charge no matter what. even if they end up on the streets because they can't pay the mortgage because they have to pay gambling debt taxes.

Because people should pay for the amount of water they use. Why should the person who takes 5-minute showers and doesn't feel a need to wash their car twice a week be taxed at the same rate for water as someone who takes four long showers a day, runs a dishwasher, and washes multiple cars weekly?

I feel sorry for the woman in the first video getting abuse like that, but who in their right minds would pass a workers picket?

Why shouldn't she? Maybe she didn't agree with the protesters and didn't give into intimidation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I didn't call for pointless garda violence. I called for gardaí to get tough and arrest 50+ people in one go to send a message. These guys are uploading videos every 15 minutes to show how soft the gardaí are being.

In several videos, little scrotes attack Irish water cars, assault gardaí and take advantage of the big crowd.

It's very easy for a crowd to grow brave in a short space of time. As London (and elsewhere) proved, political issues of the few are hijacked by scumbags to go ape****.

I'm not saying it's going to happen and I'm sure the guards would put a stop to anything major kicking off. But better police forces than our own have been left powerless once a little crowd gets brave in a housing estate. All it takes is a few people to realise that the guards aren't prepared to deal with a traveling circus of protesters for the next year.

So they're uploading concrete evidence of their involvement in law-breaking. The gardai can then act on that evidence accordingly no? Have any of those most vocally opposed to the actions of these people contacted gardai to bring their attention to this wealth of video evidence online?

Arresting 50+ people when maybe 8 or so are actively breaking the law would do nothing but inflame the situation even further. That doesn't signal that the gardai won't tolerate criminality within protests, it would signify that gardai won't tolerate protests full stop.

What message does arresting 50 people in one go send out exactly.. considering the vast majority would be released without charge within a couple of hours? Would that not cause them to grow even braver.. knowing that even if they do get arrested; nothing will come of it?

So, the Left (SF, ULA, Eirigi, etc...) can't explain a stratagy for Ireland without water charges, but anyone who doesn't agree with your non-existent plan is a simpleton?

If the left came up with a workable solution to Ireland's issues (which FG have mostly resolved now anyways) which actually stood a chance of creating jobs, lowering taxes, increasing SW and all the other goodies they promise, they'd win the next GE no problem. But they havn't, so the "simpletons" are left with no choice but to vote for policies which are unsavory but sensible. It's almost like these simpletons want a stable country for the future instead of gambling on a nirvana paradise of more money, less bills and magic jobs.

I called for gardaí to get tough and arrest 50+ people in one go to send a message.

get tough on what. you expect the guardai to arrest 50 people in one go not because they have commited a crime but to "send a message" that won't be sent or received. waste of money and time. you arrest people for commiting a crime, not to "send out a message" . thats bollox failed crap to make it look like something is being done to look tough when infact one is a laughing stock. if one doesn't know something is wrong in the first place arresting them to "send out a message" isn't going to change that

A protest (also called a remonstrance or a remonstration) is an expression of objection by words or by actions to particular events, policies, or situations. Protests can take many different forms; from individual statements to mass demonstrations.

Every Irish citizen has a right to protest.

Its when you stand up for something usually wrong or Illegal.

I don't think dean you understand the gravity of the Situation in Ireland.

There is a under ground swell of Pure hatred for the Government past and present in Ireland of course but abroad too.

The feelings abroad are quite frightening. People want blood.

Families have been destroyed, through house repossessions, immigration, suicide etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Why shouldn't she? Maybe she didn't agree with the protesters and didn't give into intimidation?

Well she did give in in fairness.

Because people should pay for the amount of water they use. Why should the person who takes 5-minute showers and doesn't feel a need to wash their car twice a week be taxed at the same rate for water as someone who takes four long showers a day, runs a dishwasher, and washes multiple cars weekly?
    because having it come from income tax is cheeper for all. people often pay the same for more of a service then someone who doesn't get as much of a service. the gambling debt water charge will bring undo hardship upon struggling families bringing them closer to eviction as they find it more difficult to pay their mortgages that they are struggling to pay in the first place. so frankly if someone is paying the same regardless of usage of water thats fine as long as it comes from the income tax which it should be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,193 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

A protest (also called a remonstrance or a remonstration) is an expression of objection by words or by actions to particular events, policies, or situations. Protests can take many different forms; from individual statements to mass demonstrations.

There is a under ground swell of Pure hatred for the Government past and present in Ireland of course but abroad too.

Families have been destroyed, through house repossessions, immigration, suicide etc.

Bit rich for you to blame immigration for our ills. Aren't you an immigrant?

• Advertisement

So they're uploading concrete evidence of their involvement in law-breaking. The gardai can then act on that evidence accordingly no? Have any of those most vocally opposed to the actions of these people contacted gardai to bring their attention to this wealth of video evidence online?

Arresting 50+ people when maybe 8 or so are actively breaking the law would do nothing but inflame the situation even further. That doesn't signal that the gardai won't tolerate criminality within protests, it would signify that gardai won't tolerate protests full stop.

What message does arresting 50 people in one go send out exactly.. considering the vast majority would be released without charge within a couple of hours? Would that not cause them to grow even braver.. knowing that even if they do get arrested; nothing will come of it?

100% agree. If people can be identified then they should act and I hope whoever's car that was reports it so the guards can act.

However, these guys are following IW workers around. If it was me, I'd be hesitant to report as word would soon spread that the white fiesta worker was pressing charges. These protesters have no qualms about intimidating and attacking IW workers, and Greyhound "scabs" who don't support their dreams.

Every single major riot in the past 3-4 years has used social media to whip up a crowd. That's exactly what Dublin Says No are doing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,621 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I saw all I needed to when those knacks kicked the car.

Well she did give in in fairness.

I think she made multiple attempts to get in and realized that as a 120lbs person she had no hope. She stood there can a garda led her away, because the guards wouldn't deal with the illegal nature of the protesters.

She shouldn't have to force her way through a crowd of angry protesters...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Is grammar Nazism still against the charter?

Anyway. Why are the gards getting involved in this dispute anyway, if a group of residents don't want meters installed in their estate, why are the Garda intervening?

I.W have said they will estimate bills for those not metered. They should go and move on to the next Estate and install away there to their hearts content.

The gards are not a private security firm.

In what way buddy. So it hasn't had an effect on Irelands economy.

I would love to come back to Ireland and live with family friends again.

But I choose a better life else where.

Immigration has already ruined Ireland. Why would I come back?

To what?

There is no apatite for "blood" in Ireland. Literally none. And not in a kind of "ah sure weren't the 1916 lads not supported at the start" kind of way. There is nothing but crazies who wave flags and make demands. And any organization with even 1% of the capability to do so are hated by 99% of the population so...

The feelings abroad are not frightening. Ireland's only appearance in International news over the past year is about

a)The fact that the economy is recovering
    b)The "Double Irish" tax loophole which works in favour of Ireland

That's it.

And yes. Every Irish citizen has the right to lawful assembly. This does not mean that Irish citizens can roam and do as they please as we're seeing in Dublin at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

There is no apatite for "blood" in Ireland. Literally none. ..........

Well.....there's yours.

There is no apatite for "blood" in Ireland. Literally none. And not in a kind of "ah sure weren't the 1916 lads not supported at the start" kind of way. There is nothing but crazies who wave flags and make demands. And any organization with even 1% of the capability to do so are hated by 99% of the population so...

The feelings abroad are not frightening. Ireland's only appearance in International news over the past year is about

a)The fact that the economy is recovering
    b)The "Double Irish" tax loophole which works in favour of Ireland

That's it.

And yes. Every Irish citizen has the right to lawful assembly. This does not mean that Irish citizens can roam and do as they please as we're seeing in Dublin at the minute.

Im sorry.

But you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Try listening to the horror stories I have encountered over the years about the effects of Irelands recession on Irish families.

Im sorry.

But you haven't a clue what your talking about.

Well then enlighten me. If I'm in the dark here, show me something.

Where is this massive revolution we've all been hearing about since 2008 coming from?

My original point was that I think garda time is being wasted following around Irish Water. It's the fault of protesters who have attacked and disrupted totally legal works for no reason. These works are going to be continuing for the next year in major cities, so I think garda time could be better spent elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭sjb25

Here, a "scab" is bravely prevented from entering the evil corporation headquarters. This group of brave socialist rebels must be so proud. Nothing to do with IW, but posted by the same core group of "activists". I feel pretty bad for the woman here who is obviously intimidated and upset, and ultimately is prevented from going to work.

Here, gardaí are called thugs, cúnts, etc.. despite treating protesters with kid gloves. I didn't spot a single baton or anything that'd leave a bruise. One guard pushes a woman which is apparently some sort of holy sin.

My area and places all over the country are awash with this crap. And the core group is one merry band of protesters traveling around Dublin to whip up trouble. Whether it's Irish Water or some other issue, the cannot just protest like ordinary citizens do. Instead they have to block roads and intimidate people.

The same characters appear in multiple videos in several different housing estates.

Should the guards not just wade in with batons, make a load of arrests (50+) and be done for the day? Instead of just babysitting a bunch of idiots on a Tuesday morning only for work to proceed at a snail's pace?

The time to protest has come and gone. Nobody wants to pay water charges just the way nobody wants to pay their ESB bill. But it's happening and needs to happen. This sort of crap is costing us tens of thousands in wasted garda time, contractor resources etc...

Not to mention the fact that these peaceful protesters think they're above the law and use intimidation of workers as their main tactic.

Here, protesters march alongside the Public Order Unit (who also used extra padded kid gloves). Some adopted a goosestep march and began chanting "Seig Heil" (@ 2:28). They seem to be a high caliber bunch...

I really think the guards need to change tactics here. I understand that they don't want to make martyrs of the "protesters" and add fuel to the fire, but as it stands they're just babysitting a traveling circus.

:rolleyes:

Think this is why I'm not a guard I'd of had the baton out in both those videos I no both sets of protesters have a point but that lady in the first video has a right to go to work as Mutch as they have the right to protest....... They do that and the min a guard got physical they call for his head ridiculas the guards are letting it all get out of hand by being to soft a few vans handcuffs and batons protest on the footpath if you want don't block people trying to do there job even if you don't agree with them....... Anybody elese gets a baton in the stomach end of

Advertisement