Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,544 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Agreed, only there's certain people on this site who want them beaten off the streets, arrested and jailed and who continually refer to people who are protesting as scumbags, thugs, lowlifes etc and being from some sub-culture.
    Just because some of these people know of no other way of getting their message across, doesn't mean that they can all be tarred with the one brush.
    As a side issue, the Greek people rioted and had massive protests and got half of their national debt written off.
    What does the good little Paddy get for being so docile? Abused on sites like this by people who aren't even from this country and have no stake in it.

I call it as i see it.

As for your last sentence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55sjaEDJ65k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Agreed, only there's certain people on this site who want them beaten off the streets, arrested and jailed and who continually refer to people who are protesting as scumbags, thugs, lowlifes etc and being from some sub-culture.
    Just because some of these people know of no other way of getting their message across, doesn't mean that they can all be tarred with the one brush.
    As a side issue, the Greek people rioted and had massive protests and got half of their national debt written off.
    What does the good little Paddy get for being so docile? Abused on sites like this by people who aren't even from this country and have no stake in it.

Yes the Greek rioted, and they burned 3 people alive in a bank if I remember correctly. Great to see what you want to emulate.

Greece didn't get a reduction because of the riots. They got it because their governments couldn't get sufficient support to make any decisions. The political situation is much more stable here.

Stop playing the victim, you've given as good as you got in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Yes the Greek rioted, and they burned 3 people alive in a bank if I remember correctly. Great to see what you want to emulate.

Greece didn't get a reduction because of the riots. They got it because their governments couldn't get sufficient support to make any decisions. The political situation is much more stable here.

Stop playing the victim, you've given as good as you got in that regard.

I'm not playing the victim at all.
    I just won't accept criticism of our police force, doing their job in a proper manner, from foreign nationals.
    We pride ourselves on not needing to arm our Gardai, on not needing them to batter people or pepper spray people off the streets as some have suggested.
    I don't want to see us go down the road of countries like that, all you have to do is look across the water to see the result that brings.

I just won't accept criticism of our police force, doing their job in a proper manner, from foreign nationals.
    We pride ourselves on not needing to arm our Gardai, on not needing them to batter people or pepper spray people off the streets as some have suggested.
    I don't want to see us go down the road of countries like that, all you have to do is look across the water to see the result that brings.

Your republican colours are starting to shine through ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Like who?

• Advertisement

Like who?

Take a guess.
    I know you'd love to see a ban heading my way so you can shut down discussion....
    As for the 'republican colours' comment by your mate above, well I won't dignify that with a response.
    Only to say this, I do believe we live in a republic.

Take a guess.
    I know you'd love to see a ban heading my way so you can shut down discussion....
    As for the 'republican colours' comment by your mate above, well I won't dignify that with a response.
    Only to say this, I do believe we live in a republic.

So it's these mysterious "Foreign nationals" who are causing all of the ailments and woes in the country :rolleyes:

Take a guess.
    Why guess at posters nationality?
    (Like its of any slightest relevance)

You brought it up, you back yourself.
    Wouldn't want to look silly afterall

I can't ban anyone.
    Any ban, one assumes is probably the banned persons fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭grundie

As others have said, protesting at water meter installations does no good, it won't change the fact that the bills are coming in the post.

Also, these protesters are unwittingly playing in to the government hands. I'm sure the government is quite happy that they are off bothering workmen instead of protesting outside the Dail. And I'm sure a lot of ordinary folk who were willing to take stand against the water charges through non-payment or marching on the Dail won't do so because they don't want to associated with that crazy lot.

Fr Ned, in the spirit of forgiveness that I'm detecting in your posts, any chance you'd give a general absolution when you're saying Mass in the morning? After all, to quote the late G Ryans mate, Terence, "Shur, we're all Gods children"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Wow so banned from the other thread on Water Charges, and so you pop in here to spout this nonsense. The above post is definitely bordering on blatant racism, shame on you.

edit

Reported too btw

geeksauce wrote: »
    Wow so banned from the other thread on Water Charges, and so you pop in here to spout this nonsense. The above post is definitely bordering on blatant racism, shame on you.

Ah leave him be he needs his bogie men.

I notice you didn;t respond to the part about Greece. You and others are advocating a more robust campaign against the water charges like the Greeks but you're ignoring the human cost of the inevitable violence.

edit

Reported too btw

How in the name if God is it racist to not want to have an armed police force 'beating and pepper spraying' protesters off the street?
    Once again the racism card is played, talk about hyperbole.
    And reported too, wow!

How in the name if God is it racist to not want to have an armed police force 'beating and pepper spraying' protesters off the street?
    And reported too, wow!

C'mon Ned.

Who are these wicked foreigners your refusing to name?

We're eager to know.

C'mon Ned.

Who are these wicked foreigners your refusing to name?

We're eager to know.

I do believe 'baiting' is against the forum rules.

I do believe 'baiting' is against the forum rules.
    Could be, you should report my post.

However the question still stands...
    Fr. Ned wrote:
    Who are these foreigners you speak of?

Let us know your answer when you can summon the balls to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

And reported too, wow!

You know how its racist Ned.

You know how its racist Ned.

Your accusation has been reported.
    I'll leave this thread for you people to gang up on someone else.
    Typical of posters here is the obvious shouting down of differing opinion, you people are worse than the protesters who are the subject of the thread.
    Good day to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Right firstly, for everyone who isn't Fr Ned, stop baiting them. It's childish and silly.

Secondly Fr Ned, you were being labelled as racist, not because you were against a violent police force but because of your continual slights at foreign nationals who don't agree with you on here. So give that sh*t a rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The old saying

if you can't stand by what you say

Then maybe don't say it.

Odd how this was turned out my report button must be broke

Here's an interesting one a private investigator had been publicly named on facebook with his private phone posted and there now calls for his address to be published so he can be dragged up the mountains and dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gatling wrote: »
    Here's an interesting one a private investigator had been publicly named on facebook with his private phone posted and there now calls for his address to be published so he can be dragged up the mountains and dealt with

Lot of speculation and internet warriorism there to be honest (the later being them, not you)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Gatling wrote: »
    What did he do to rouse the rabble?

What did he do to rouse the rabble?

He filmed the ring leaders of the intimidation crowd.

Apparently they alone have the the right to make videos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I am a firm believer in what Richard Nixon called "The Silent Majority". This is becoming very, very big in Ireland.

If you look at any protest in Ireland, it might look impressive to the cameras. But is it really? To get 10,000 people or so to go to a protest in Dublin is a huge achievement, of that there can be no doubt.

A 2014 estimate puts the population of the Republic of Ireland at approximately 4,609,600 people (http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2014/#.U_xczvldWSo). Of that, approximately 3,314,600 would be over the age of 19 (the voting ages). A crowd of 10,000 people protesting amounts to a little over 0.3% of the total voting population. A wholly insignificant number.

Even a crowd of 50,000 people is only 1.5% of the total voting age population.

The final, big stand for the anti-water charges campaign is this coming Saturday, 11th October, with a big march planned in Dublin.

This is truly Custer's Last Stand for them. Unless they can get upwards of 10% of the total voting population of the entire country mobilised and up to Dublin city centre, they've lost. It might prove to them that their support is not as strong as they once thought. And 10% of the total voting population of Ireland is in excess of 330,000 people. And not a hope in hell is that happening.

The Silent Majority, will cancel this out. People who do not join in the large demonstrations, who do not join in the left-wing counter-culture, and who do not participate in public discourses or politics. This group of mostly middle-class people, are being overshadowed in social media and in the media itself by the more vocal minority. The silent majority also refers to the older people too, who are very adept at threatening to use their votes to change things. Yet they are not doing so. They are getting along with things, as most of us are.

The best measure of it is in the microcosms of housing estates. Take a look at most (if not all) of the videos taken regarding the "peaceful" protests. If your average housing estate would have about 200 residents (or more) in it, the amount of protesters screaming abuse at Irish Water workers and the Gardaí rarely numbers more than a couple of dozen, if that. It is totally disproportionate to the amount of people who actually live in the estate.

The rest of the estate are inside (or at work). They dare not speak out in support of Irish Water, for fear of being intimidated. They do not want to join in the protests with the rest of the protesters, because it is an exercise in futility.

Despite what a lot of people would like us to think, the Vocal Minority will never get their way, despite all their screaming, kicking and shouting. The Silent Majority will simply get on with things, stay out of the limelight and will get their way without anyone noticing. Simple.

I think its a little unfair to assume a minimum of 10% of population attending constitutes a success.

It isn't logistically possible or safe to fit 300,000+ people around Leinster house, nor can that many access the city on the weekend.

The only numbers that fail the hard-left is their non-existant plans to deal with the government debt crisis.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think its a little unfair to assume a minimum of 10% of population attending constitutes a success.

It isn't logistically possible or safe to fit 300,000+ people around Leinster house, nor can that many access the city on the weekend.

The only numbers that fail the hard-left is their non-existant plans to deal with the government debt crisis.

Whilst I totally agree about the "Silent Majority" , that is an absolute fact..I' don't know that getting less than X amount to this march on Saturday is necessarily a measure of success or failure - Unless of course they get very low numbers.

For every person that is willing to actually go to a protest march there are probably another 2 or 3 that would support the position but just aren't as motivated to get out and march..They still do not have any kind of structured voting block to wield though , just a hodge-podge of mixed messages and faux-fury

You are absolutely spot on with your last point though - Nobody likes austerity , but until now no one has put forward an alternative to it outside of defaults or the other Magic Money tree options put forward by the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/water-charges-concern-at-excessive-garda-force-against-protests-1.1955232

The Lord Mayor of Dublin will raise his concerns over Gardaí using "excessive force" after receiving a number of complaints from constituents.

Hope the Assistant Commissioner privately puts him in his place.

• Advertisement

donvito99 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/water-charges-concern-at-excessive-garda-force-against-protests-1.1955232

The Lord Mayor of Dublin will raise his concerns over Gardaí using "excessive force" after receiving a number of complaints from constituents.

Hope the Assistant Commissioner privately puts him in his place.

Ah that gob****e has to stick his oar in everywhere, afraid if a week goes by without getting his face in the paper that people will.forget him.

Advertisement