Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

This video shows no signs of police brutality - no batons, no fists, no pepperspray. Just four guards trying to gingerly pry your man off a barrier. He's resisting right the way through while claiming he can't breath ( :pac: ).

I honestly can't see where calls to scale back garda heavy handedness is coming from. All I've seen is kid gloves. Despite the 20+ cameras and smartphones recording every incident from every angle, I haven't yet seen a single baton or any other such violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭Peppa Pig

Dean0088 wrote: »
    This video shows no signs of police brutality - no batons, no fists, no pepperspray. Just four guards trying to gingerly pry your man off a barrier. He's resisting right the way through while claiming he can't breath(
    Agree - however from the man himself
    I'll give youse 5 seconds to let go of this barrier or it's going over someone's head

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm curious as to how many of those council members who voted for the emergency motion actually saw any Garda heavy handedness against "locals". Every video so far has shown Gardaí with kid gloves, no members of the council present and the same "locals" in different estates.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Has anybody noticed every one of these idiots who appear on camera been brutalised by the Gardai always have sunglasses on .

Got through all the previous videos and check the sunglass count on the videos lead actors

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

DazMarz wrote: »
    I am a firm believer in what Richard Nixon called "The Silent Majority". This is becoming very, very big in Ireland.

If you look at any protest in Ireland, it might look impressive to the cameras. But is it really? To get 10,000 people or so to go to a protest in Dublin is a huge achievement, of that there can be no doubt.

A 2014 estimate puts the population of the Republic of Ireland at approximately 4,609,600 people (http://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2014/#.U_xczvldWSo). Of that, approximately 3,314,600 would be over the age of 19 (the voting ages). A crowd of 10,000 people protesting amounts to a little over 0.3% of the total voting population. A wholly insignificant number.

Even a crowd of 50,000 people is only 1.5% of the total voting age population.

The final, big stand for the anti-water charges campaign is this coming Saturday, 11th October, with a big march planned in Dublin.

This is truly Custer's Last Stand for them. Unless they can get upwards of 10% of the total voting population of the entire country mobilised and up to Dublin city centre, they've lost. It might prove to them that their support is not as strong as they once thought. And 10% of the total voting population of Ireland is in excess of 330,000 people. And not a hope in hell is that happening.

The Silent Majority, will cancel this out. People who do not join in the large demonstrations, who do not join in the left-wing counter-culture, and who do not participate in public discourses or politics. This group of mostly middle-class people, are being overshadowed in social media and in the media itself by the more vocal minority. The silent majority also refers to the older people too, who are very adept at threatening to use their votes to change things. Yet they are not doing so. They are getting along with things, as most of us are.

The best measure of it is in the microcosms of housing estates. Take a look at most (if not all) of the videos taken regarding the "peaceful" protests. If your average housing estate would have about 200 residents (or more) in it, the amount of protesters screaming abuse at Irish Water workers and the Gardaí rarely numbers more than a couple of dozen, if that. It is totally disproportionate to the amount of people who actually live in the estate.

The rest of the estate are inside (or at work). They dare not speak out in support of Irish Water, for fear of being intimidated. They do not want to join in the protests with the rest of the protesters, because it is an exercise in futility.

Despite what a lot of people would like us to think, the Vocal Minority will never get their way, despite all their screaming, kicking and shouting. The Silent Majority will simply get on with things, stay out of the limelight and will get their way without anyone noticing. Simple.
    so the silent majority will get their way? so they want to pay gambling debt taxes then?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement

so the silent majority will get their way? so they want to pay gambling debt taxes then?

You seem to have a very polarized view of the world and the people in it. Everyone is either a freedom fighting revolutionary or a facist government supporter all too keen to "bend over and take it".

There's more at play here. So far, protest videos posted have number of around 20-40 in each. Most are the same people traveling around. Their marches down O'connell street and college green have numbers of around 10-15 people, including kids as young as five.

Either there's a silent majority or 99.999% of Ireland's population couldn't quite make the march.

I will concede however that the march for the 11th seems somewhat better organised. The flyer I got through my door was very well designed and not militant in rhetoric. Maybe the Trade Union involvement will take charge of these idiots and add a bit of decency to the protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Yes, yes they will not everyone agrees with what is going on
    Also all these Garda brutality videos being put up if they actually do baton you at ye it will be like the boy who cried wolf and nobody will believe you all so keep uploading them

Today I filled in my water forms and posted them off

I remember when I was convinced of the mouths protesting the property tax saying dont pay it and I didnt and I was hit harder than and paid more than the people that complied and where were the mouths telling us not to now nowhere to be seen just like you lot until something new come to the fore and you decide to protest against that , career protesters the lot of ya

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Here it is: Once the garda car leaves, a group of 6-8 people (from a group of 30+) close in on the car. A couple of really brave lads decide to kick the car too and one top heavy idiot falls over.

These protesters are the kind of people that ruin many areas of Dublin with anti social behavior and generally acting like idiots. And yet they're actually being cast as heros here. :eek: :mad:

Don't suppose this video is anywhere else? Its private now...wonder why?

Gintonious wrote: »

The now famous IW hit and run and leaving the scene of a motor accident.

The car that was suddenly a super powerful magnet specific for air max runner attractions

Because it was clear as day that she kicked the car stumbled and walked away laughing then the next video she was lying on the ground wasting a doctors time ambulance and a fire brigade attended and spent time in A&E costing the tax payer thousands all to get people on their side using dirty tactics

Im sure people downloaded that video and its floating about somewhere :):)

• Advertisement

I imagine it was made private due to attention being drawn to a "protester" booting the back of an IW workers car (his private car, not an IW van).

SweetChaos wrote: »
    Because it was clear as day that she kicked the car stumbled and walked away laughing then the next video she was lying on the ground wasting a doctors time ambulance and a fire brigade attended and spent time in A&E costing the tax payer thousands all to get people on their side using dirty tactics

I noticed that. Same girl in two videos. Gets up laughing and the next minute a medical student was helping her on the ground. :rolleyes: Attention seeking.

I imagine it was made private due to attention being drawn to a "protester" booting the back of an IW workers car (his private car, not an IW van).

Or trying to make a claim for a hit and run and the evidence in that video is damning :)

Or trying to make a claim for a hit and run and the evidence in that video is damning :)

You never know. I hope someone downloaded it for a re-upload. May well be on Facebook or there about.

Either way its sudden disappearance says a lot about the YouTube account associated with the video.

You never know. I hope someone downloaded it for a re-upload. May well be on Facebook or there about.

Either way its sudden disappearance says a lot about the YouTube account associated with the video.

The same crowd posted an image of an investigator working for Sierra last night along with his private phone number and address which whipped up mass hysteria of let's drag him up mountains and give him a hiding and other threats

Gatling wrote: »
    The same crowd posted an image of an investigator working for Sierra last night along with his private phone number and address which whipped up mass hysteria of let's drag him up mountains and give him a hiding and other threats

well thank god those type of people will never represent me, they sort everything with violence

Gatling wrote: »

I would hope these threats wouldn't go beyond threats, but either way I hope anyone found trying to insight or organise anything like that is dealt with promptly.

As said earlier on the thread, there are militant undertones to these "peaceful" protesters. Residents who are either "for" water charges or who have no plan to resist them would be ill advised to speak their minds publicly.

These local groups are organising rent-a-mobs whom they have no control over, and discipline among the groups is non existent.

Hopefully, the involvement of Trade Unions will calm things down and bring about actual protests which allow normal people to take part in, should they so wish.

I also saw a picture of a couple that were taken to the high court taunting them with a fake moustach ,nose, glasses disguise protesting in clarehall they are just now taking the pee how the hell can anyone take them seriously nowadays when they have to resort to that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,540 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I saw one of their banners which read "Burn Irish Water".

They aren't the most forward thinking crowd, are they?

I saw one of their banners which read "Burn Irish Water".

They aren't the most forward thinking crowd, are they?

Clowns

• Advertisement

Yes, yes they will not everyone agrees with what is going on
    Also all these Garda brutality videos being put up if they actually do baton you at ye it will be like the boy who cried wolf and nobody will believe you all so keep uploading them

Today I filled in my water forms and posted them off

I remember when I was convinced of the mouths protesting the property tax saying dont pay it and I didnt and I was hit harder than and paid more than the people that complied and where were the mouths telling us not to now nowhere to be seen just like you lot until something new come to the fore and you decide to protest against that , career protesters the lot of ya
    i'm not i'm afraid. you could have refused to pay the higher bill. you wanted to pay it, fine, others don't, they are right

the doctors and ambulance disagree that she was wasting their time. health care and other services costs the tax payer money. so pay up seeing as your happy to pay your share of the gambling debt taxes

the doctors and ambulance disagree that she was wasting their time.

Why what exactly wrong with her ??

the doctors and ambulance disagree that she was wasting their time. health care and other services costs the tax payer money. so pay up seeing as your happy to pay your share of the gambling debt taxes

Oh I will be paying up

But she was wasting everyone's time no matter how much you try and defend it we seen it with our own eyes and if she was being peaceful and standing on the footpath instead of trying to kick a moving car and stumbling because of it

Make the video public again if you didnt see anything wrong with it

And yes I will be paying my water charges and receiving my allowances according to the people on the form

Enjoy paying your estimated one :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

On what are you basing your knowledge of the doctors and ambulance opinion?

Well hopefully she is made to pay up for the call out charge of the ambulance and the fire brigade and the A&E charges seem as she brought it all on her self, self-inflicted (non injuries) by attacking a workers car

The protesters are closing the stable door after the horse has bolted they should be taking the angry protests to the government not the average joe just doing his job , but <insert any county> say no cant be told that

You are turning people against you with all your lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Who would actually want to be associated with these muppets? And who is actually going to pay any attention to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is that Gary Lineker on the right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Wait until you see all the fools protesting on Saturday in Dublin City. There are buses leaving from my town bringing these muppets up to protest. Half of them don't know what they are protesting for. Cringe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

The more exposure these muppets get on social and normal media the better.
    It allows for the rest of society to fully appreciate the idiocy on display.

Clever tactics by the Guards using kid gloves and not giving the idiots any ammunition - just treat them like bold children and calmly move them on.
    I'm sure they'll get bored eventually and move onto the next cause-de-jour.

Advertisement