Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gintonious wrote: »
    I'm still dying to see that "hit and run" video, nowhere to be found!!!!

It's been permanently removed by dublin says no who also refuse to answer any questions on why it was removed but keep the aftermath and emergency crews response video up

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

coolemon wrote: »
    Probably as much as the 30 mil spent on the fcuktard queen two years ago. But that was for a few days, so probably not as good value.

Awww, you poor ickle Chuckie.

Are you annoyed that most people don't like the idea of paying the dole for your crowd of layabouts as well as paying to keep them behaved while they pester normal people trying to work whereas most people were happy to see the figure-head of "The Old Enemy" on your precious Irish soil?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Are you annoyed that most people don't like the idea of paying the dole for your crowd of layabouts as well as paying to keep them behaved while they pester normal people trying to work whereas most people were happy to see the figure-head of "The Old Enemy" on your precious Irish soil?

I'm lucky enough to have never been on the dole in my life, in fact since leaving college, I don't think I've ever been out of work, in fact, actually I know I haven't.

I equally don't assume someone on the dole is a 'layabout' though and know of only too many who've found themselves unemployed through no fault of their own after the financial crisis , with many choosing to re-educate themselves, retrain themselves, and many even partaking in 100% unpaid voluntarily work (they say it's good for the CVs and interviews)

But hey, far be it from me to interrupt your wonderful world of stereotypical generalisation.

I expected nothing less Micky. Bravo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm lucky enough to have never been on the dole in my life, in fact since leaving college, I don't think I've ever been out of work, in fact, actually I know I haven't.

I equally don't assume someone on the dole is a 'layabout' though and know of only too many who've found themselves unemployed through no fault of their own after the financial crisis , with many choosing to re-educate themselves, retrain themselves, and many even partaking in 100% unpaid voluntarily work (they say it's good for the CVs and interviews)

But hey, far be it from me to interrupt your wonderful world of stereotypical generalisation.

I expected nothing less Micky. Bravo.

See you've made a logic error there. He said the layabouts where on the dole, not that people on the dole where layabouts. There's a big difference there, but I think you know that.

See you've made a logic error there. He said the layabouts where on the dole, not that people on the dole where layabouts. There's a big difference there, but I think you know that.

I can only read what he wrote in his post tbh.

Let me know what part of this
    Are you annoyed that most people don't like the idea of paying the dole for your crowd of layabouts
    isn't that clear to you and I'll go over it with you.

• Advertisement

I can only read what he wrote in his post tbh.

Let me know what part of this isn't that clear to you and I'll go over it with you.

It's clear to me. You're just not thinking about it logically. He's referring to the layabouts as a subset of people on the dole. You're equating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

donvito99 wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/water-charges-concern-at-excessive-garda-force-against-protests-1.1955232

The Lord Mayor of Dublin will raise his concerns over Gardaí using "excessive force" after receiving a number of complaints from constituents.

Hope the Assistant Commissioner privately puts him in his place.

Peaceful protests?? Excessive Garda force??

I just read the article and the second last paragraph is the only thing that stuck out to me. Two vans with tyres slashed.

Joke of a country where this is let go on. individuals trying to do a day's work being intimidated by a bunch of thugs who seem to be able do what they like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

Protest today in my local area. In an estate that houses about 120 people, about 15 actual residents showed up. Another 10 or so hangers-on, professional protesters.

The one I loved most was that there were 3 failed local election candidates (one indo, one éirígí, one People Before Profit) there, front and centre, causing chaos. Not one of them lives in my town. Not a single one. All busy-body, big mouths with nothing better to do (two of them retired, one of them unemployed).

The best craic then began when they began denigrating and giving out about two local guys who actually did get elected in the last Local Elections. One of them in his 20's, one in his early 40's. Both of them are married, with children. Both of them are upstanding, popular men in the community. Both of them have full-time jobs, in addition to tireless work they put in as councillors. They both finished 2nd and 3rd, respectively, in the election. Both were first timers, both did incredibly well and both have already been working hard in the local area.

Of course, the big one today was "Where are our local councillors today?! Why are they not standing tall with us? Useless bastards!" and so on.

Well, Miss People Before Profit Who Has Never Worked A Day In Her Life, one of them is a Fine Gael councillor, so according to party line... he has no choice but to ostensibly support water metering. The other one is a Labour councillor, so again... he has to toe the party line to an extent. Fair enough, they lads may PERSONALLY disagree with the water meters, but due to party connections are unable to. Bear in mind, these two lads got swept into office at the last local elections. Absolutely swept in.

But one other little factoid that might be of interest to you and the rest of your Dirty Dozen (or so)... THE TWO OF THEM WERE IN WORK! You know, contributing to society, paying taxes, providing food for their families and so on. That ever cross your thick mind? The fact that the reason the two local councillors were not there to make a show of themselves with you (you, who failed to even get your deposit back from the election!), is because they were out DOING THEIR JOBS!!! Working and being solid citizens.

The fact that these three bitter, twisted half-wits who FAILED to get elected at the last local elections cumulatively got about 350 first preference votes. 350 between them. The quota was around 1600. Combined together, they didn't even get to a quarter of the quota. Yet, the two lads they constantly slated all through today, got over 4000 votes between them.

You guys, please, do the maths for me there. Which of them is REALLY the ones the people want representing them?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The professional protester is a valued profession don't you know, especially when the state pays for your upkeep. These guys would be in for a shock if they lived in an actual poor country.

Liveline are on about it now! Do the protesters still not get it? They are getting peoples backs up with their behaviour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Liveline are on about it now! Do the protesters still not get it? They are getting peoples backs up with their behaviour.

They don't care there professional toe rags who are getting off on the idea they can publicly threaten ordinary working tax payers and Gardai on a daily basis .

They will eventually get what's coming

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

DazMarz wrote: »

The final, big stand for the anti-water charges campaign is this coming Saturday, 11th October, with a big march planned in Dublin.

This is truly Custer's Last Stand for them. Unless they can get upwards of 10% of the total voting population of the entire country mobilised and up to Dublin city centre, they've lost.

that whole post was so completely inane I couldnt get to the end of it. Is that meant to be an analysis?

For everyone who shows up at any march you can take it there were 20-50 who felt the same way but just didn't bother their hole showing up

Just because the majority are "silent" it sure as **** does'nt mean they agree or disagree with those who are more vocal. Especially in Ireland

I was reading some of the comments on one of the Journal stories. A poster was describing how they successfully blocked the IW vans from moving and installing meters and at 1pm the Gardaí said the IW vans would be leaving. In all their wisdom the posters decided they would continue to block the vans anyway. This is apparently when the Gardaí got physical. Who leads these protests and makes these retarded decisions and how stupid do you have to be to follow their orders?

I know there are some protesters who are genuine in their opposition to paying for water. That is their right and I, for one, respect that right. However, the majority of those protesting are sending the wrong message and are just getting peoples backs up. The waste of Garda time is just mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Gatling wrote: »
    They don't care there professional toe rags who are getting off on the idea they can publicly threaten ordinary working tax payers and Gardai on a daily basis .

They will eventually get what's coming

We all know what the "professional" protesters are like - it;s been expressed many times before - but again you need to be careful to clarify this from genuine peaceful protester.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

We all know what the "professional" protesters are like - it;s been expressed many times before - but again you need to be careful to clarify this from genuine peaceful protester.

The problem being that the professional ones are quite expert at infiltrating all of the protests. And when they act the mick, the peaceful folk are stuck in the mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,384 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The problem being that the professional ones are quite expert at infiltrating all of the protests. And when they act the mick, the peaceful folk are stuck in the mix.

True, but they don't the same tactics as the serious water charge guys. The idiots in this protest are nto the usual suspects. Which is not to say career protesters aren't there - Im aure they are.

Lumping them all in the same cateogry - as Gatling and I agreed on a few pages back - is fallacy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

True, but they don't the same tactics as the serious water charge guys. The idiots in this protest are nto the usual suspects. Which is not to say career protesters aren't there - Im aure they are.

Lumping them all in the same cateogry - as Gatling and I agreed on a few pages back - is fallacy.

Well unless you make an effort to separate yourself from those with the more criminal approach I see no reason not to treat them the same. I mean if you are providing the crowd in which they hide and from which they draw their courage, it's up to you to stop that.

One of the protest groups have a picture on Facebook that reads "OCTOBER 11TH 2014. A NATIONAL DAY OF SOLADARITY. SAY NO TO: Cronyism, Stealth Taxes, Protection for Bailed Out Bank Evictions, forced Emigration and Suicide" No mention of Water meters!
    https://www.facebook.com/DublinSaysNo.DSN/photos/a.850657604960748.1073741827.850647988295043/978160988877075/?type=1&theater

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

One of the protest groups have a picture on Facebook that reads "OCTOBER 11TH 2014. A NATIONAL DAY OF SOLADARITY. SAY NO TO: Cronyism, Stealth Taxes, Protection for Bailed Out Bank Evictions, forced Emigration and Suicide" No mention of Water meters!
    https://www.facebook.com/DublinSaysNo.DSN/photos/a.850657604960748.1073741827.850647988295043/978160988877075/?type=1&theater

Judging from the description it's a protest about 'ALL OF THE BAD THINGS1!¡!!111' so the water meter guys will just fit in there somewhere.

Nothing makes people take notice of your protest more than a confusing scattergun approach.

• Advertisement

Kinda gives you a good idea of what you are working with, in fairness. It's meant to be a right to water march... and it's already getting hijacked to air all the other grievances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Its not my soil. I own none of it. But by the sounds of it you liked to pay for a fcuktard parasitic queen.
    Ill tell you what. The next time she comes, they should take donations to fund it. They can reserve a special place for you in the donations queue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

I've had the privilege of being able to travel around many parts of the globe when I was young/free/single and I must say, bar maybe the England, they are the most restrained and least violent police service in the world. If you spoke and acted like some of those fcukwits in the video to police in the likes of Germany, Spain, France, Poland you'd get absolutely battered. It's not nice to see, but this is one of those situations where heavy-handed tactics (not as extreme) are required. The level of wastage these professional protesters are creating is huge, protesting itself is fine and I do agree with it but obstruction/intimidation etc. etc. should be treated very harshly by the Gardai as it would be anywhere else. You always see a moron or two in the videos claiming police brutality, they have absolutely no idea what that is, again the police here have to be one of the least violent in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,706 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Is that what Dun Laoghaire looks like these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Montroseee wrote: »
    I've had the privilege of being able to travel around many parts of the globe when I was young/free/single and I must say, bar maybe the England, they are the most restrained and least violent police service in the world.

I thought you were going to say restrained and least violent protesters in the world. That would be true, and reflective in the level of policing required to contain it and impose the states will.

If the protesters were more militant, as they are in the rest of Europe, you can be sure the Gardaí would have no trouble being violent, too. Indeed they train for violence for just such an occasion, unlike the protesters, who are pretty disorganised.

But the protesters in those videos are generally peaceful and are vehemently opposed to any militant agitators who would like to see more European style militancy. So I think your causation is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

coolemon wrote: »
    I thought you were going to say restrained and least violent protesters in the world. That would be true, and reflective in the level of policing required to contain it and impose the states will.

If the protesters were more militant, as they are in the rest of Europe, you can be sure the Gardaí would have no trouble being violent, too. Indeed they train for violence for just such an occasion, unlike the protesters, who are pretty disorganised.

But the protesters in those videos are generally peaceful and are vehemently opposed to any militant agitators who would like to see more European style militancy. So I think your causation is wrong.

I would consider many of the people in the water protest videos as pests rather than protesters. The minute you start to interfere/obstruct/damage the workers or their tools is when the gardai should start to employ heavy handed techniques, plenty of which has gone.

I actually saw a video from the Dublin Says No youtube page where the protestors went onto and blocked one side O'Connell Street. The Gardai were pleading with them to restrict the protest to one lane so that the rush hour traffic could get by and they just wouldn't oblige, holding up people trying to get home after a day's work. The gardai showed incredible restraint in the video. I saw a similar situation in Munich where a group of Hippies tried to create a roadblock when protesting, they didn't last 15 mins. They were given about a minute to oblige with police orders to get off the road, they didn't and were all bundled into a van. This type of pest control should utilized here when the protestors begin to obstruct/interfere and damage as it creates such wastage.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Montroseee wrote: »
    I would consider many of the people in the water protest videos as pests rather than protesters. The minute you start to interfere/obstruct/damage the workers or their tools is when the gardai should start to employ heavy handed techniques, plenty of which has gone.

I actually saw a video from the Dublin Says No youtube page where the protestors went onto and blocked one side O'Connell Street. The Gardai were pleading with them to restrict the protest to one lane so that the rush hour traffic could get by and they just wouldn't oblige, holding up people trying to get home after a day's work. The gardai showed incredible restraint in the video. I saw a similar situation in Munich where a group of Hippies tried to create a roadblock when protesting, they didn't last 15 mins. They were given about a minute to oblige with police orders to get off the road, they didn't and were all bundled into a van. This type of pest control should utilized here when the protestors begin to obstruct/interfere and damage as it creates such wastage.

Was it rush hour? I seem to remember is was saturday afternoon? Maybe you're spoofing a bit there horse

Still big fan of ze german method of dealing with dissent, eh? Their trains run on time and all :pac:

Our continental cousins have police forces that make the Gardaí look like Greenpeace.

Barcelona:

Madrid:

Paris:

Hamburg:

Germany in general:

And the Americans/Canadians... well, they don't take no shít either.

Our protesters over here have no idea how lucky they have it. Anywhere else in the world, their skulls would be caved in by a baton or a hefty, police-issue boot. They have no idea what proper police brutality is like. Being restrained and dragged to a squad car is not brutality, as much as the clowns protesting would like to paint it as such. Above... that is what you get in other countries. Ireland treats them with such kid gloves and restraint, it beggars belief.

I reckon it's a matter of days before the Govt have lost the gards support.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I reckon it's a matter of days before the Govt have lost the gards support.
    I don't think that kind of behaviour does any good for the protester's cause at all. Completely unnecessary.

Advertisement