Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

They will follow their orders, given to them by superior officers, in turn given to them by the leaders of this country. They might not want to do it, but orders are orders.

Police forces are, by and large, paramilitary organisations that uphold laws, keep peace and so on. They do not get to pick and choose which laws to enforce, what orders to follow. They must uphold every law, obey every order. By not doing so, they risk their very jobs.

I myself cannot see the Gardaí disobeying orders.

What I can see, however, is the introduction of private security forces into this mix at some stage. As more and more Gardaí are called away to deal with actual police work, someone will need to protect GMC Sierra workers. Enter some private security goons. And you can be damn sure they'll crack skulls far better than the Gardaí will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't think that kind of behaviour does any good for the protester's cause at all. Completely unnecessary.

Which part of their behaviour was unnecessary :confused:

Reminding the gards of their oath?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Richard D James

So what was all that voting for? I thought the general election was to pick the people who represented us.

And a damn fine job they do of it too

Personally I dont think politicians represent many people at all. Other than themselves and the few who give them donations

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

That, the general jeering, the rabbiting of "Did ye find that child?", calling them 'the enemy' etc ...

I'm not sure what it adds to the protest - they have a problem with the government, not with the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

I reckon it's a matter of days before the Govt have lost the gards support.

Awful show from the "protesters" , actually ashamed of them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Who are the protesters?

They do not represent the majority of residents living in the area in question.

Nothing short of vigilantes who have nothing else to do. Who do these people vote for .......????????

They are trying to prevent workers from carrying out their jobs through intimidation.

They should disperse and return to wherever they came from and allow law abiding citizens go about their daily activities in peace:)

Full marks to the Gardai for controlling and protecting workers and residents from the Scumbags!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

papu wrote: »
    Awful show from the "protesters" , actually ashamed of them.

I'm not surprised tbh.

Unfortunately, no violence in the video(to bolster your case) just the gards somewhat agreeing with the protester's.

Their look of disgust wasn't aimed at the protester's (imo)

I'm not surprised tbh.

Unfortunately, no violence in the video(to bolster your case) just the gards somewhat agreeing with the protester's.

The only bullies are the people degrading, humiliating , and mocking the country's police force while hiding behind a smartphone camera and some smug sense of entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I reckon it's a matter of days before the Govt have lost the gards support.

Brilliant video

Shows the gardai at their finest, Even in the face of abuse from a bunch of sum bags they keep their professionalism and decorum. Personally i think they should get mire heavy handed like the police forces in the video's above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

I'm not surprised tbh.

It was.

• Advertisement

One of the protest groups have a picture on Facebook that reads "OCTOBER 11TH 2014. A NATIONAL DAY OF SOLADARITY. SAY NO TO: Cronyism, Stealth Taxes, Protection for Bailed Out Bank Evictions, forced Emigration and Suicide" No mention of Water meters!
    https://www.facebook.com/DublinSaysNo.DSN/photos/a.850657604960748.1073741827.850647988295043/978160988877075/?type=1&theater

Am loving some of the comments:D
    it may be our last chance to stand against the political treachery that, unchecked, will lead us into a totalitarion fascist regime from which the only way out will be violent revolution.
    Think we will end up doing a Ukraine job after this storm the dail and irish water
    if they dont listen to the people it will become a violent revolution as it'll be the only thing they will listen too
    SIPTU members who are against IW should contact their union reps and threaten to switch unions unless SIPTU join the fight against IW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Am loving some of the comments:D

All these people hoping for a violent revolution. Sad really. Probably see themselves on par with the 1916 leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,584 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Oh goody, Freeman nonsense time..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Idiots, martyrs the lot of them. If this was the Ukraine, the police would have battered them silly. They don't have a clue. Even the usual lefties here on boards aren't defending them anymore. They have done a runner..

The march will go ahead as planned tomorrow, it may turn violent it probably won't. The sun will set, the sun will rise and life will go on and water meters will still be installed in estates. They have picked the wrong fight tbh.

jank wrote: »
    Idiots, martyrs the lot of them. If this was the Ukraine, the police would have battered them silly. They don't have a clue. Even the usual lefties here on boards aren't defending them anymore. They have done a runner..

The march will go ahead as planned tomorrow, it may turn violent it probably won't. The sun will set, the sun will rise and life will go on and water meters will still be installed in estates. They have picked the wrong fight tbh.

Nothing new there.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Badger2009

I just burst myself laughing at this comment on facebook! Shows what you are dealing with....

"The Garda have threatened to arrest protestors?
    Who do they think they are if that's on tape it is intent to perverse the course of justice"

Badger2009 wrote: »
    I just burst myself laughing at this comment on facebook! Shows what you are dealing with....

"The Garda have threatened to arrest protestors?
    Who do they think they are if that's on tape it is intent to perverse the course of justice"
    "if they dont listen to the people it will become a violent revolution as it'll be the only thing they will listen too then maybe"

Hilarious

Quote:
    "if they dont listen to the people it will become a violent revolution as it'll be the only thing they will listen too then maybe"
    Hilarious

Someone else made reference to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMYNfQlf1H8

Do you hear the people sing?
    Singing a song of angry men?
    It is the music of a people
    Who will not be slaves again!
    When the beating of your heart
    Echoes the beating of the drums
    There is a life about to start
    When tomorrow comes!

Will you join in our crusade?
    Who will be strong and stand with me?
    Beyond the barricade
    Is there a world you long to see?
    Then join in the fight
    That will give you the right to be free!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Liveline are on about it now! Do the protesters still not get it? They are getting peoples backs up with their behaviour.
    good. if your not willing to support them and stand up, against this gambling debt tax then you have to pay the price

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

I know there are some protesters who are genuine in their opposition to paying for water. That is their right and I, for one, respect that right. However, the majority of those protesting are sending the wrong message and are just getting peoples backs up. The waste of Garda time is just mind boggling.
    they aren't sending the wrong message. they are only getting up the backs of the gambling debt tax supporters

• Advertisement

they aren't sending the wrong message. they are only getting up the backs of the gambling debt tax supporters
    Good* slogan. I expect to see it in full use on Saturday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

good. if your not willing to support them and stand up, against this gambling debt tax then you have to pay the price

It's a tax to cover our welfare payments which are currently 40% of national expenditure. We borrow a large amount of this.

Montroseee wrote: »
    I've had the privilege of being able to travel around many parts of the globe when I was young/free/single and I must say, bar maybe the England, they are the most restrained and least violent police service in the world. If you spoke and acted like some of those fcukwits in the video to police in the likes of Germany, Spain, France, Poland you'd get absolutely battered. It's not nice to see, but this is one of those situations where heavy-handed tactics (not as extreme) are required. The level of wastage these professional protesters are creating is huge, protesting itself is fine and I do agree with it but obstruction/intimidation etc. etc. should be treated very harshly by the Gardai as it would be anywhere else. You always see a moron or two in the videos claiming police brutality, they have absolutely no idea what that is, again the police here have to be one of the least violent in the world.
    the guardais tactics for this situation are the only ones that are effective. other police forces tactics lead to deliberate violence and usually thats the aim of those police forces to satisfy their erge for verminry and violence

Montroseee wrote: »
    I would consider many of the people in the water protest videos as pests rather than protesters. The minute you start to interfere/obstruct/damage the workers or their tools is when the gardai should start to employ heavy handed techniques, plenty of which has gone.

I actually saw a video from the Dublin Says No youtube page where the protestors went onto and blocked one side O'Connell Street. The Gardai were pleading with them to restrict the protest to one lane so that the rush hour traffic could get by and they just wouldn't oblige, holding up people trying to get home after a day's work. The gardai showed incredible restraint in the video. I saw a similar situation in Munich where a group of Hippies tried to create a roadblock when protesting, they didn't last 15 mins. They were given about a minute to oblige with police orders to get off the road, they didn't and were all bundled into a van. This type of pest control should utilized here when the protestors begin to obstruct/interfere and damage as it creates such wastage.
    heavy handed tactics lead to violence and injoury. thousands of police in other countries are injoured each year because of their erge for violence for the smallest of things

Good* slogan. I expect to see it in full use on Saturday.

NEVER. They'll have some more original ones. Like "Can't Pay, Won't Pay". "What do we want?" "Something ridiculous" "When do we want it?" "Now"

the guardais tactics for this situation are the only ones that are effective. other police forces tactics lead to deliberate violence and usually thats the aim of those police forces to satisfy their erge for verminry and violence

wut?

Bambi wrote: »
    Was it rush hour? I seem to remember is was saturday afternoon? Maybe you're spoofing a bit there horse

Still big fan of ze german method of dealing with dissent, eh? Their trains run on time and all :pac:
    exactly. these extremists love and erge for violence is very worrying and should be stamped down on before they become a threat to the state

wut?

He means the Garda Síochána

DazMarz wrote: »
    Our continental cousins have police forces that make the Gardaí look like Greenpeace.
    Our protesters over here have no idea how lucky they have it. Anywhere else in the world, their skulls would be caved in by a baton or a hefty, police-issue boot. They have no idea what proper police brutality is like. Being restrained and dragged to a squad car is not brutality, as much as the clowns protesting would like to paint it as such. Above... that is what you get in other countries. Ireland treats them with such kid gloves and restraint, it beggars belief.
    because doing it this way works. they get the required result without any violence. when they need to intervene they can and they do

• Advertisement

DazMarz wrote: »
    They will follow their orders, given to them by superior officers, in turn given to them by the leaders of this country. They might not want to do it, but orders are orders.

Police forces are, by and large, paramilitary organisations that uphold laws, keep peace and so on. They do not get to pick and choose which laws to enforce, what orders to follow. They must uphold every law, obey every order. By not doing so, they risk their very jobs.

I myself cannot see the Gardaí disobeying orders.

What I can see, however, is the introduction of private security forces into this mix at some stage. As more and more Gardaí are called away to deal with actual police work, someone will need to protect GMC Sierra workers. Enter some private security goons. And you can be damn sure they'll crack skulls far better than the Gardaí will.
    for which the protesters will be able to break up these private security vermin in revenge for doing as private security have no rights. i'm sure the protesters will be prepared for such eventualities like they are in rossport where such vermin are dealt with on a daily basis by protesters.

Advertisement