Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

More tripe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

Gatling wrote: »
    More tripe

There is more substance in a plate of tripe than in your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Beaner1 wrote: »
    There are a dangerous amount of fascists around Ireland today with SF leanings.

Water charges were part of 2011 political manifestos. A government was formed and they have legally enacted these policies. Now we have rumblings of coups and actual attacks on the state.

Don't worry, Captain Octopus will save us from this terrible threat. You can help him by wearing a hat made out of a shiny reflective material to show him you're on his side.

coolemon wrote: »
    There is more substance in a plate of tripe than in your response.

Of course rabble rabble rabble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

if another private civilian (which private security are) lays a hand on you you can lay a hand on them back.

You can defend yourself. You can't break them up as you previously posted. But as security they would also have the right to physically defend themselves, the IW workers and their property from you in the first place.

It's hard to fathom the level of hypocrisy going through some of the groups. Calling the government traitors and citing the constitution and law while simultaneously ignoring the law and threatening violent revolution.

• Advertisement

id love to see the Gardaí try some pest control today, and do what people are advocating on here.

Their heads would be on pikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,543 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

id love to see the Gardaí try some pest control today, and do what people are advocating on here.

Why's that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Nice of you to call for capital murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

Looks like a small enough protest tbh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

What a scummy statement to make.

Are you annoyed that only around 30k people showed up?

• Advertisement

Why's that?

My take if garda do there job they could suffer deadly consequences

What a scummy statement to make.

Are you annoyed that only around 30k people showed up?

Hahaha 30K

• Registered Users Posts: 19 pbear007

Just back home and I got away quick as I could after arriving at 'finish' .Doubtless the govt and DOB controlled media will try underplay this but take it from someone there .This was MASSIVE ! Easily 100,000 plus ,easily .It took 80 minutes for the enormous body of people to pass .Never mind OConnell Street filled from end to end with tightly packed bodies , it was far bigger than that ! Proud day to be Irish .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dean0088 wrote: »

Lolololol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

Dean0088 wrote: »

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I seriously did not expect what happened. Fair play. There was a savage crowd up at it. To my mind, there was at least 100,000 people there. Maybe skirting just below that, in the high 90,000's, but damn close to it.

I still do not think that the government will sit up and take too much notice. The fact that the two main opposition parties did not gain seats at today's by-elections will be good enough news for them. Neither Sinn Féin nor Fianna Fáil, who were both hotly tipped to take seats in Dublin-South-West and Roscommon-South-Leitrim respectively, took those seats. That makes it a semi-good day for Fine Gael/Labour.

The march, while stunningly well organised and well attended, happened on a day when no T.D. would have been in Leinster House. It would have probably had more effect had it happened on a week day, especially with more people in the city.

This march could be a turning point. It really could. I still find the smaller protests centring around housing estates repugnant and pointless, but today was a prime example of peaceful protest and a well organised protest. It wasn't hijacked by the usual suspects. It was well organised and it passed off without incident (something that I had a sneaking suspicion would happen).

But the real question is this: Will the events of today, 11th October 2014, herald real change in the policy of this government... or will they try to brazen it out, hope for the best from the next 18 months and change little to nothing?

Only time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

pbear007 wrote: »
    Just back home and I got away quick as I could after arriving at 'finish' .Doubtless the govt and DOB controlled media will try underplay this but take it from someone there .This was MASSIVE ! Easily 100,000 plus ,easily .It took 80 minutes for the enormous body of people to pass .Never mind OConnell Street filled from end to end with tightly packed bodies , it was far bigger than that ! Proud day to be Irish .

100k? Was there seriously that many?

I just dont get all this disgust over a water charge. Why arent these same people up in arms over other taxation such as the usc etc?

I don't know about the rest of you but that's where all of my bloody money is going along with income tax and prsi, not on a fecking water bill ffs. Sorry if I'm missing something here....

DazMarz wrote: »
    I seriously did not expect what happened. Fair play. There was a savage crowd up at it. To my mind, there was at least 100,000 people there. Maybe skirting just below that, in the high 90,000's, but damn close to it.

I still do not think that the government will sit up and take too much notice. The fact that the two main opposition parties did not gain seats at today's by-elections will be good enough news for them. Neither Sinn Féin nor Fianna Fáil, who were both hotly tipped to take seats in Dublin-South-West and Roscommon-South-Leitrim respectively, took those seats. That makes it a semi-good day for Fine Gael/Labour.

Sf didn't take Dublin south west .

Paul Murphy did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

The govt will brazen the whole thing out.
    Tell us hiw good they are not to include water charges in this budget and then in december 2015, hit us with water charge increases.

While i admire those who protested today, my head says the whole thing will be dismissed by the arrogant shower in leinster house.

I still do not think that the government will sit up and take too much notice.

I said as such to the reporter (1.22) - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-demonstrate-against-water-charges-30655896.html

I think if this will be defeated it will be through the prevention of water meter installation and through non-payment. Big protests like this, while serving certain functions, are rarely, if ever, listened to. That is my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭achiman

divert water flow from your gutters

omega man wrote: »
    I just dont get all this disgust over a water charge. Why arent these same people up in arms over other taxation such as the usc etc?

Because unlike the USC or any other taxes, the water charges can be activley challenged by people who would otherwise have no power to challenge anything.

They can physically obstruct meter installation and collectively assert power. And, as this tax also targets those who have little to lose (such as social welfare recipients), they can risk non-payment or arrest when necessary.

The powers that be would love if the peoples activities were restricted to powerless mass demonstrations like the one today where they can ignore it. This issue is different however. The people are not powerless against the water charges when using other methods. This is what people seem to hate on here. Powerless people asserting power.

Irish Times says "Over 50,000" - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-50-000-march-in-dublin-to-protest-against-water-charges-1.1960704

They may as well have said "Over 2000". It would be as accurate.

They could have said "nearly 100,000".

But that wouldn't suit the agenda.

Neither Sinn Féin nor Fianna Fáil, who were both hotly tipped to take seats in Dublin-South-West and Roscommon-South-Leitrim respectively, took those seats.
    Gatling wrote: »
    Sf didn't take Dublin south west .

Paul Murphy did

Eh, that is PRECISELY what I said... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Irish Times says "Over 50,000" - http://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/over-50-000-march-in-dublin-to-protest-against-water-charges-1.1960704

They may as well have said "Over 2000". It would be as accurate.

They could have said "nearly 100,000".

But that wouldn't suit the agenda.

I know being a nazi grammar is frowned upon in this site...

Still though..... From that article.
    There was also anger directed at the media which many protesters said had been agnoring anti-water meter protests around the country.q

Sack the editorial board.

Tell us hiw good they are not to include water charges in this budget and then in december 2015, hit us with water charge increases.

While i admire those who protested today, my head says the whole thing will be dismissed by the arrogant shower in leinster house.

Not a hope. The Budget before a General Election?! Not a chance; tax cuts, spending increases, the works. In order to curry favour and buy votes.

It's the Budget in November/December of 2016 that we should be worried about; when the new government is bedded in and there is no imminent danger of another election... cripple the electorate all over again.

There's a very good reason why the water meters are being installed at this moment in time; we're literally just past a local/European election and around 18 months from a General Election. The timing is perfect. The government/FF candidates in the Locals/Europeans got some pain, but not as bad as people thought. The General Election is far enough away that the controversy will be far less. Cute hoors all the same; keep them distant from election cycles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭omega man

Because unlike the USC or any other taxes, the water charges can be activley challenged by people who would otherwise have no power to challenge anything.

They can physically obstruct meter installation and collectively assert power. And, as this tax also targets those who have little to lose (such as social welfare recipients), they can risk non-payment or arrest when necessary.

The powers that be would love if the peoples activities were restricted to powerless mass demonstrations like the one today where they can ignore it. This issue is different however. The people are not powerless against the water charges when using other methods. This is what people seem to hate on here. Powerless people asserting power.

Interesting points. As you mentioned social welfare recipients, is it not the case that many such people are protesting now because their pockets are actually being hit whereas many other tax payers are being hit much harder by a more unfair usc as I said previously and therefore aren't compelled to protest over water rates?

Interesting points. As you mentioned social welfare recipients, is it not the case that many such people are protesting now because their pockets are actually being hit whereas many other tax payers are being hit much harder by a more unfair usc as I said previously and therefore aren't compelled to protest over water rates?

I think the protests against the water meters are not confined to social welfare recipients. The demonstration today is illustrative of that. However, the social welfare recipients will be in the best position to engage in obstruction and risk arrest.

What people realise here is that they have the chance to assert actual power. Both working people and SW recipients.

With USC, there is nothing anyone can do -> Power rests squarely with the government/state.

This is why there is such mobilisation and protest. Power is being asserted on the streets and the people are conscious of that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

100k? Was there seriously that many?

I don't know about the rest of you but that's where all of my bloody money is going along with income tax and prsi, not on a fecking water bill ffs. Sorry if I'm missing something here....

you are right that's it's crazy to think noody gave much of a damn about all that's come before this but we needed something that everybody was effected by and now we have it, join the march and when people defeat the water charges there'll be no stopping us after that, hopefully we'll try end other corrupt practices that directly effect us and not the politicians and their friends :)

I said as such to the reporter (1.22) - http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/thousands-demonstrate-against-water-charges-30655896.html

I think if this will be defeated it will be through the prevention of water meter installation and through non-payment. Big protests like this, while serving certain functions, are rarely, if ever, listened to. That is my experience.

i seen 150,000 march to force cowen to call general elections back in nov 2010 and the following week he called them, todays crowd would totally wipe the floor with 2010's and that's without a shadow of doubt, they see us now and this is only the begining!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What's the point in protesting when nearly all the meters are installed, Irish Water has been set up and huge money has already been pumped into it? Seems like a stupid waste of time that is about 3 years to late.

Advertisement