Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland's "Peaceful Protestors" - Pest Control?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,542 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

and soon your wage ill go down as you are competing with people who will work for less.It is the race to the bottom as unions would say.Soon you will be making a FIFA football for a bag of uncle Bens rice.

More ridiculous scaremongering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

a flat rate for all is the only way. means we all pay the same

Good idea. Maybe do the same for other utilities like electricity and gas.

Part of the reason is to bring Ireland into line with the test of the eu and oecd countries, where people pay for water like another utility. It is also to fulfil our obligations under the eu water directive, where the principle of the 'polluters pays' applies. A flat rate on this regard would be useless.
    other countries having a water charge isn't a reason for us to have one

It is under the eu water directive. Only way to avoid this is to no longer be an eu country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

How can you admit to not understanding something, and then claim to have enough knowledge of it to say your criticism applies, even after I've had to correct your understanding of it 3-4 times already?

I'm happy to try and explain it more, but only if you are actually interested in hearing it - slipping into panning/"My heads in my hands" type stuff, when I'm taking the time to try and explain it, makes it seem like you aren't actually interested like you claim to be.

Are you interested in learning about it, to understand if it really is possible - or have you just made up your mind that it isn't possible, without wanting to learn about it first?

In any case: Government accepting these notes as payment for taxes, will secure demand for them, and give them value - that's also how it works for fiat money.
    I don't advocate abandoning the Euro either.

You're expecting Ireland to effectively use a 12 month interest free credit card to run the country. This would be totally fine if we were expecting to have the full amount within 12 months - but we're not. So we'd have to transfer the balance year on year by issuing more TANs.

Would this even count towards public debt on the books? And if there's no interest the debt wouldn't even be worth trading which would negatively effect the holders (average people). They're basically bonds issued against people's work? Wouldn't the government be basically saying "Hey, public sector employee, instead of your wages here's a little note which says I'll pay you next year.".

That is my understanding of that article. If I'm wrong I'd genuinely like to hear an explanation.

Fr. Ned wrote: »
    Are you seriously classing €16 an hour as a 'huge pay packet'?
    That's €640 a week before tax.
    The average in the PS is almost €1,000.

Better than the €188 a week they will get on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Dean0088 wrote: »
    The main issue seems to be that people don't want to pay for water as "they already pay for it" through taxes.

I pay for Dublin Bus via taxes yet still have to pay to use it.

Ireland is running a deficit and has huge debt. The water infrastructure is in bits. We need to reduce the deficit. Money needs to be collected and I'd like it done in a fair way which also encourages less consumption. Taxing the wealthy even more (and they pay A LOT - I'm not one of them either so I'm not biased here) is shooting yourself in the foot, economically.
    less consumption can't be encouraged as it will lead to less hygeen and unhealthy habbits. people use what they need no more no less. the only problem is the leaving on of taps in the winter to stop freezing pipes which will probably continue as there is no other way.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Beaner1

Where's beaner gone?

Working on dossier number 1. Have a guy blaming his unemployment on the state. Left his phone number up on one of the usual groups as organising a protest. Same number has him advertising painting and odd jobs...

Following up a few of his republican connections now.

less consumption can't be encouraged as it will lead to less hygeen and unhealthy habbits. people use what they need no more no less. the only problem is the leaving on of taps in the winter to stop freezing pipes which will probably continue as there is no other way.

Scare stories of '"I can't afford to shower" says mother of 2' won't work with me.

It might stop people taking baths or 20 minute showers. If not, at least they'll pay for their usage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

Uncle Sam doesn't give a **** about us and would wipe us off the map if it meant some gain for them. they have no enemies, they make them up to install corrupt puppet governments who jump to their tune. hopefully they will meet their match one day, and the sespit is taken down and put in their place

The USA keeps the free world free and safe and don't you forget it.

Beaner1 wrote: »
    Working on dossier number 1. Have a guy blaming his unemployment on the state. Left his phone number up on one of the usual groups as organising a protest. Same number has him advertising painting and odd jobs...

You should also.post this information onto the social.welfare office, anti water crowd always on about how money can be saved from.elsewhere so am sure they have no problem reporting welfare fraud. I notice Fr Ned never got back to anyone regarding his buddies welfare fraud when asked if he reported it. Strange that.

The Beaner Files - Episode 1 "A Republican Painter"

Where are you publishing this stuff? Would it not be better to simply publish pro-water meter stuff instead?

• Advertisement

The head of 'Irish Water' is a guy called John Tierney.
    Google him and follow the waste of taxpayers money he's overseen from Galway City Council to Fingal County Council (check out the superdump) to Dublin City Council. (Poolbeg anyone)....
    This is the calibre of people in Irish Water, career civil servants used to playing fast and loose with taxpayer's money.
    ah but shur ooooooooh moy god loyk begorra begosh they are experienced, royt?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This might be the forum for you to shine in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Come along then, post him up on your page...

This I gotta see....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,981 ✭✭✭KomradeBishop

You're expecting Ireland to effectively use a 12 month interest free credit card to run the country. This would be totally fine if we were expecting to have the full amount within 12 months - but we're not. So we'd have to transfer the balance year on year by issuing more TANs.

Would this even count towards public debt on the books? And if there's no interest the debt wouldn't even be worth trading which would negatively effect the holders (average people). They're basically bonds issued against people's work? Wouldn't the government be basically saying "Hey, public sector employee, instead of your wages here's a little note which says I'll pay you next year.".

That is my understanding of that article. If I'm wrong I'd genuinely like to hear an explanation.
    It's not limited to 12 months, TAN's can be reissued as they are collected as taxes (same way as government spends money collected as taxes) - you could sustainably keep the same amount of TAN's in circulation forever this way, if you want - it's not analogous to debt in this way, and wouldn't count as public debt.

You can't be thinking about it as if it is debt, because you're setting traps for yourself, where you treat it like debt/bonds when it is not. It's like a hybrid between bonds/money (though you can't think be thinking about it as if it is money either ;) as that can set more traps for you).

It wouldn't negatively affect the holders, because it's meant for trade and paying taxes, not investment/holding :) (you would be able to use TAN's like money - because businesses need to pay taxes too)
    The holders would in fact benefit, because their salary would increase, as would aggregate demand, due to all of the TAN's going through the economy like money and contributing to their wages and business profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,383 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No further advances on posting your own info first, then?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I'm aware of Tierney and his managing of IW. I've no issue with it. The fact is you need to spend money to set up a huge infrastructure project and utility company.

The issues cited above (poolbeg in particular) are not things that can be said to be the fault of Tierney. I can't find anything he did which led to them.
    google is your friend. it takes money to set up such a company yes, but you need good people with a clean record and who are successful in charge of it. not wasters government cronies or civil servants who wasted money left right and centre

No further advances on posting your own info first, then?

I'm beaner.

There's a video on the Dublin Says No page. They single out an Irish worjer and intimidate him based on the fact that he's Irish.

Irish people replaced the greyhound workers. And even if there were foreigners working for them I couldn't care less. I've worked with many Irish and foreign in my time. All I've ever looked for in a fellow employee is someone willing to do the job and not bitch and moan the whole day. If some people demand a huge packet while others are willing to work for less (above legal minimum wage), they shouldn't be too surprised to see their jobs go to the other candidates.
    they didn't, it was mostly foreign nationals. no irish would be willing to work for less its just not in our nature. if their jobs did go to the other candidates they have a right to take back those jobs as they belong to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,383 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I'm beaner.

Ah well, if you're only going to posting otehr peoples' facebook names, that's fine. Anything else will be nothing less than the act of an attention-seeking coward.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

which one is entitled to do if they lay a finger on someone. private security have the same rights as me and you but thats it, they will never be police, just a bunch of torchies who should be put back patroling factories and shops which is their job

Leaving aside your misunderstanding of the law on self defence, it's the hopeful tone of your post that I found disturbing.

• Advertisement

And how is that fair?

If one person lives in a house, they should pay the same as the house up the road with 8 occupants?

The only fair way is to have people pay the same rate per liter of water. If you want to pay the same water bill as your neighbor, use the same amount of water as him. Same with gas, ESB etc...
    its very fair, it ensures were one step toards equality and fairness for all as we all pay the same for services.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm beaner.

You should check out this great resource. Might help to identify people

http://www.youramonkey.com/monkey.php?m=IDGNl0OKMZbVUnY6z

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Fr. Ned

Ah well, if you're only going to posting otehr peoples' facebook names, that's fine. Anything else will be nothing less than the act of an attention-seeking coward.

There's nothing on that page yet and I see the link he provided was deleted from this thread.
    Spoofer exposed.

BTW folks, don't post anything on that page if you view it...there's plenty of loopers out there....

It's not limited to 12 months, TAN's can be reissued as they are collected as taxes (same way as government spends money collected as taxes) - you could sustainably keep the same amount of TAN's in circulation forever this way, if you want - it's not analogous to debt in this way, and wouldn't count as public debt.

But effectively it IS debt - it just wouldn't be accounted for as such. More of a general liability. Still balances the same.

You can't be thinking about it as if it is debt, because you're setting traps for yourself, where you treat it like debt/bonds when it is not. It's like a hybrid between bonds/money (though you can't think be thinking about it as if it is money either ;) as that can set more traps for you).

The reason I think about it as debt is because it essentially - expect it has no real benefit for the holders. You're issuing people with a cert that's good for an agreed value at a future date. The only reason it's not called a tax bond is that there's no interest to be paid. As such, there's no benefit to holding them (unless forced, at which point you have no option).
    It wouldn't negatively affect the holders, because it's meant for trade and paying taxes, not investment/holding :) (you would be able to use TAN's like money - because businesses need to pay taxes too)
    The holders would in fact benefit, because their salary would increase, as would aggregate demand, due to all of the TAN's going through the economy like money and contributing to their wages and business profits.

If I want to pay taxes, why not just pay them in money? Sure, if I can secure an effective discount by charging the government interest then I might consider it, but otherwise no.

You mention that TANs would go through the economy. They wouldn't. There's nothing to be gained by buying a TAN from one person. They wouldn't follow the circular flow of money through the economy as a traditional fiat currency does. Nobody would accept TANs as payment either because they accrue no interest so, assuming the economy has inflation which Ireland does, they would be worth less by the time I could cash them in. So the only way I'd accept them is if I could collect more TANs than the current monetary value of the transaction to offset inflation, which would be bad for the person paying in TANs because they'd be paying €120 in 'tax bonds' for €100 worth of product/service.

Dress it up how you want. TANs are a short-term financing option for a government. Not something useful for financing the running of a country for 20 years over billions of euro (the deficit and current repayment schedule).

I did some searching around. Their only use seems to be in the US with local authorities issuing them to fund small, immediate projects which capital will be available for before the TANs come due. Totally different scenario in terms of scale and usage than any EU austerity solution.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Good idea. Maybe do the same for other utilities like electricity and gas.

Part of the reason is to bring Ireland into line with the test of the eu and oecd countries, where people pay for water like another utility. It is also to fulfil our obligations under the eu water directive, where the principle of the 'polluters pays' applies. A flat rate on this regard would be useless.

It is under the eu water directive. Only way to avoid this is to no longer be an eu country
    the EU don't care about pollution. its about hoping the service will be sold off to a french or german company

Scare stories of '"I can't afford to shower" says mother of 2' won't work with me.

It might stop people taking baths or 20 minute showers. If not, at least they'll pay for their usage.
    nothing wrong with a bath or a 20 minute shower. just put in the plug and use the water to flush the jacks. you don't need water charges to think of such things. people who haven't thought of such all ready won't even with charges if they pay them at all

The USA keeps the free world free and safe and don't you forget it.
    it doesn't. i will forget it thanks

nothing wrong with a bath or a 20 minute shower. just put in the plug and use the water to flush the jacks. you don't need water charges to think of such things. people who haven't thought of such all ready won't even with charges if they pay them at all

I have never heard of anybody reusing water like that. You're laughable now if " sure use your bath water to flush the jacks" is your national policy on water conservation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

the EU don't care about pollution. its about hoping the service will be sold off to a french or german company

Maybe in your world. In the real world it can be read up here:

http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/water-framework/index_en.html

And what's the problem with them being sold off? No different than how utility companies are traded here and the world over

Why are we so different? And how is the water system to be funded properly?

• Advertisement

You should check out this great resource. Might help to identify people

http://www.youramonkey.com/monkey.php?m=IDGNl0OKMZbVUnY6z

Yeah, I use the hondachat version a bit. Keeps them in the dark.

Advertisement