Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know where to get games early?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

In the US, they have shops called 'mom & pop' stores where people can get games early. The game I'm particularly looking for is NBA 2K15 in Galway. Anyone know of any?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Define Early?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Molloy10 wrote: »
    In the US, they have shops called 'mom & pop' stores where people can get games early. The game I'm particularly looking for is NBA 2K15 in Galway. Anyone know of any?

They're not called mom & pop stores as such, it's just a general term. They're independent (read non-chain) stores that aren't tied to the likes of GameStop. There are independent retailers in every country, most will NOT sell a game early because a broken street date carries with it plenty of issues and headaches for the retailer.

I think you're misunderstanding the circumstances of this, assuming that these stores specifically sell games early. They don't. Typically it's a case of you have a good relationship with the owner/manager, and they'll sell you the game on the down low as soon as they have stock in, which is usually a day or two early. They'll then run the transaction through once the street date hits.

It's rare you can walk into a store and buy a pre-street dated game as a randommer.

The key things necessary for this are:

1) You have a good relationship with management
    2) They are wholly independent
    3) They actually have stock in early
    4) They trust you not to broadcast to the world that you got the game early, or where you got it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

Earlier than release. 2K is coming out next Friday and I'm wondering if there's any local shops that will sell it to you early.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Molloy10

COYVB wrote: »
    They're not called mom & pop stores as such, it's just a general term. They're independent (read non-chain) stores that aren't tied to the likes of GameStop. There are independent retailers in every country, most will NOT sell a game early because a broken street date carries with it plenty of issues and headaches for the retailer.

I think you're misunderstanding the circumstances of this, assuming that these stores specifically sell games early. They don't. Typically it's a case of you have a good relationship with the owner/manager, and they'll sell you the game on the down low as soon as they have stock in, which is usually a day or two early. They'll then run the transaction through once the street date hits.

It's rare you can walk into a store and buy a pre-street dated game as a randommer.

The key things necessary for this are:

1) You have a good relationship with management
    2) They are wholly independent
    3) They actually have stock in early
    4) They trust you not to broadcast to the world that you got the game early, or where you got it
    Thanks. Does anyone here have experience with those?

Molloy10 wrote: »
    Thanks. Does anyone here have experience with those?

That would be breaking rule number 4 :)

• Advertisement

I might be completely wrong, but i don't think that this is a thing over here unfortunately for you Molloy

Cormac... wrote: »
    I might be completely wrong, but i don't think that this is a thing over here unfortunately for you Molloy

Xtravision used to sell games on the Thursday night after 9pm when I lived in Ireland, but that was about the closest to any major early access I ever got as a consumer

COYVB wrote: »
    Xtravision used to sell games on the Thursday night after 9pm when I lived in Ireland, but that was about the closest to any major early access I ever got as a consumer

Thats why they had to replace all their staff/stores with Robots..... that and the fact everything was $hit value for money in this day and age :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Ireland badly needs a chinatown like they have in new york, being taken into a back room all hush hush and not knowing if you were going to get murdered or a new game. Ah, memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,016 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Any reason why can't just wait until Friday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I can only remember getting one game early and that was Prisoner of War on the ps2.
    My brother happened to be in GAME on the Thursday, then saw it and bought it. This was 1 day before release. Hardly amazing huh? :pac:

But I have never seen a game get sold a week before it's official release date. Sure I have heard of some people get lucky (rarely) and manage to buy an early copy. But the shop puts a stop to that once they cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

I have once or twice had a game delivered by Gamestop.ie early.

But the real question is, why is it so vitally important for the OP to get it early?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I have once or twice had a game delivered by Gamestop.ie early.

But the real question is, why is it so vitally important for the OP to get it early?

Ah, am sure he has his reasons.... A big NBA fan?... could have been a potential present for someone? It's far from the craziest question on boards :p

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭boardbro

Gamestop is still the best option for a chance of getting it early?

Advertisement