Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Euro Qualifier Ball - Why Didn't they use it in the Swiss v England game?

• 30-09-2014 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

When we played Georgia we used the official Euro Qualifier ball as below

Adidas-Euro-2016-Official-Qualifier-Ball-Wallpaper.jpg

But when Switzerland played England on the Following Tuesday (I think) they used a Puma ball instead of the Official Euro Qualifier ball, I wonder why they got away with it?

Switzerland-v-England-UEFA-EURO-2016-Qualifier.jpg

Please dont say "who cares" etc, I just wondered why didn't they play with the "official" 2016 qualifier ball? I'm sure Adidas are less happy.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Wonder is it something to do with Switzerland being sponsored by Puma? As the ball they played with was a Puma ball.

Do UEFA do deals like that with individual countries perhaps in that they don't have to use the official ball?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

It does seem weird because if I was a manager I would want my team using the official ball because it means more practice with it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Its up to the country to use whatever ball they want but as above, some teams use it from day one to get a feel for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

vicwatson wrote: »
    When we played Georgia we used the official Euro Qualifier ball as below

But when Switzerland played England on the Following Tuesday (I think) they used a Puma ball instead of the Official Euro Qualifier ball, I wonder why they got away with it?

Theres nothing to 'get away with it'. Theres an official ball to be used by those countries that have an Adidas deal, however countries with a deal with Puma or another provider can continue to use them for their home games.

Ah ok so Ireland will play with an Umbro ball then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Portugal v Albania used a Nike ball in the last game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,428 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Theres nothing to 'get away with it'. Theres an official ball to be used by those countries that have an Adidas deal, however countries with a deal with Puma or another provider can continue to use them for their home games.

Come on.
    Surely we can find a way to use this against England.
    Show that they have an unfair advantage etc.

Come on.
    Surely we can find a way to use this against England.
    Show that they have an unfair advantage etc.

Why would you want to do that? That's a ridiculous statement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

vicwatson wrote: »
    Why would you want to do that? That's a ridiculous statement

I assume he was taking the piss

Advertisement