Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we use tiger worms as bait

Options
  • 30-09-2014 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Can we use tiger worms(red worms) as bait. As I have a wormery out the back with millions of worms in it. I want to fish for brown trout. I was reading put one or two(or more)on the hook. Will this work or do I have to look for earthworms. I am finding it hard to find earthworms as they are very scarce in my garden. That's why I want to use the worms. Could I also use sweetcorn. Or maybe slugs? I will be using barbless hooks so it would be easier to remove.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Tiger worms are excellent for trout. Some people say slugs work but I never saw them actually catch anything with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Have used em before but can't beat a good oul fat lob worm.
    Last day of the season is today mate and maybe stretches till October 14th but that's all I can remember of October but I do know it ends today in majority if Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Have used em before but can't beat a good oul fat lob worm.
    Last day of the season is today mate and maybe stretches till October 14th but that's all I can remember of October but I do know it ends today in majority if Ireland.

Think it's only certain spots and lakes (I know Ennell is one or was) stretches a week into October maybe? Best to spend the next few months cultivating the wormery Olwas!

Our club rivers are 12th October.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

niallon wrote: »
    Think it's only certain spots and lakes (I know Ennell is one or was) stretches a week into October maybe? Best to spend the next few months cultivating the wormery Olwas!

Had a feeling it was ennel or mask that stretches into October for week r two.
    Keep topping up the worms with fresh soil and basically Shiite. Keep them there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Olwas2014

Had a feeling it was ennel or mask that stretches into October for week r two.
    Keep topping up the worms with fresh soil and basically Shiite. Keep them there
    What do u mean keep them there

Olwas2014 wrote: »
    What do u mean keep them there

I think he means keep them in the wormey until next spring - which I'm sure you will be doing anyway.

I think he means keep them in the wormey until next spring - which I'm sure you will be doing anyway.

Ok thanks one more question is there a season for a lake full of wild brown trout. Or is the season only for the rivers.

It depends on who owns it and who has the angling rights. You should ask the local clubs or tackle shops.

It depends on who owns it and who has the angling rights. You should ask the local clubs or tackle shops.

No one owns the lakes but we have the right of way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

No one owns the lakes but we have the right of way

Are they state owned?

Are they state owned?

I don't think so. Well just tell me before I end up poaching by accident:( that is the last thing that I would want happening. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

I don't think so. Well just tell me before I end up poaching by accident:( that is the last thing that I would want happening. Thanks

I can't tell you as I don't know the lake. Its your resposibility to find out. I got a list of state owned lakes from the NPWS but I don't think its available online.
    Google the name of the lake if you dont want to put it up here

Advertisement