Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quing in Dublin

Options
  • 30-09-2014 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭

Im not sure if its just Dublin or is it Ireland.

People here just dont seem to get or understand ques!

I was waiting at the bus stop after work and i seen 3 people start to form a que for the bus i was getting so i stood behind the last lady. All had been waiting a while and a guy comes and stands directly in front of me. What the.....then he shoved his way first onto the bus when everyone else had been waiting a while.

I also went to a local shop today to pick up a few things. I was waiting behind the lady paying for her things at the counter with a few things in my hand, and a man walks right in front of me and another old man comes in stands beside him and both are served before me. Abit of manners wouldnt go astray.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Mc Kenzie wrote: »

I was waiting at the bus stop after work and i seen 3 people start to form a que for the bus i was getting so i stood behind the last lady. All had been waiting a while and a guy comes and stands directly in front of me. What the.....then he shoved his way first onto the bus when everyone else had been waiting a while.

I also went to a local shop today to pick up a few things. I was waiting behind the lady paying for her things at the counter with a few things in my hand, and a man walks right in front of me and another old man comes in stands beside him and both are served before me. Abit of manners wouldnt go astray.

There are ignorant people every where and they think that they are more important than you and everyone else.

The only thing to do is point out that there is a queue, don't do this in the USA!, or rant on the Internet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The only bus stop in Dublin I've ever seen an orderly queue at, ever. Ever. Is the 123 stop outside Penneys/Easons on O'Connell St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭lighterman

Throw a few elbows.Ya'll be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,344 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I think it's just on buses to be honest. We seem quite civil (or no worse than anywhere else in the world) when it comes to queuing anywhere else but for some reason this doesn't apply to bus stops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Don't mind the non queuing at bus stops tbh. The stops I use serve a few different very busy routes, and the buses very rarely pull right up to the stop anyway so would be kind of pointless queuing. Plus there's not nearly enough room for everyone to line up on the path either, especially outside that Ambercrombie shop on College Green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

It would be helpful if there was a sign or something on poles i.e. "queue this way". At least then those of us will queue would have some idea what way the queue goes.

A lot of the stops are too small or too busy, and people just stand around everywhere.

Even in the ones where there are queues, there are a few people, particularly women for some reason, who seem genuinely totally oblivious and believe they need to get to the bus-stop pole and jump out in front of the bus to stop it despite 20 people already standing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭con___manx1

ques are over rated. in canada there obsessed with ques. you even have to que for a drink at the bar.it would drive you mad ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

manuel-que.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Drives me nuts in pubs, when I'm (trying to) get my round in. I'm standing patiently at the bar counter, waiting for the barman to get to me. Then some big lad appears outa nowhere behind me, and just shouts his order over my head. What REALLY pisses me off is that 9 times out of 10, the barman will get his order, as if he has been completely oblivious to the fact that I've been standing there for 10 minutes, trying to make eye contact with him & place an order.

God forbid they tell the shouters that they'll be with them, AFTER they have gotten the orders of the people who were there before them. It would drive you to drink so it would.... if I could bloody well ever get one !!! :mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What drives me mad is the people who are so eager to get on the bus that they block the door making it really hard to get off the bus, if they were to think about their actions they would realise that they nearly always have to take a few steps back to let passengers off, so how about standing back in the first place!

Morons! And the older Dubs get, the worse behaved they are in a queue, it is like getting bus pass enables you to skip queues everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Lux23 wrote: »
    What drives me mad is the people who are so eager to get on the bus that they block the door making it really hard to get off the bus,

I always put my coat on as I'm getting off the Bus, then if someone is being a príck and blocking my way, I can elbow them and make it look like an accident

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Laneyh

I think people understand queues very well they just don't think they apply to them.
    It's possibly a consequence of being a small country with a relatively small population. Most people have the attitude that they're only one person and will just suit themselves.
    The older guys in the shop probably just don't care or feel entitled to skip as they are older.

On the other hand we are still quite good when it comes to offering seats to people on public transport or helping people with their luggage etc.
    (I am only drawing this conclusion on personal experience and comparing it to living in England)

So try not to let a few ignorant people get to you

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Collie D wrote: »
    I think it's just on buses to be honest. We seem quite civil (or no worse than anywhere else in the world) when it comes to queuing anywhere else but for some reason this doesn't apply to bus stops

I think we are actually better than most European countries. In Spain or Malta queues are an absolute joke !

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Drives me nuts in pubs, when I'm (trying to) get my round in. I'm standing patiently at the bar counter, waiting for the barman to get to me. Then some big lad appears outa nowhere behind me, and just shouts his order over my head. What REALLY pisses me off is that 9 times out of 10, the barman will get his order, as if he has been completely oblivious to the fact that I've been standing there for 10 minutes, trying to make eye contact with him & place an order.

You're morally obliged to give the barman lackery when this happens. He'll probably refuse to serve you then as barmens code does not all them to admit fault but you can't tolerate that sort of messing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

For any Dublin bus, there should ideally be two queues. One on the left of the front door for punters paying by coin. The other on the right for those on passes or swipe cards. The queue on the right will always move faster. Dublin bus itself encourages this and even reduces fares for regular commuters.
    Of course everybody just lumps in together and slowcoaches counting their coins get shoved to one side as regular users are in a hurry to get on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Bambi wrote: »
    You're morally obliged to give the barman lackery when this happens. He'll probably refuse to serve you then as barmens code does not all them to admit fault but you can't tolerate that sort of messing

Unfortunately, making a scene is not in everyones DNA. If you are a 5ft 2 female, 'tis often your lot in life to stand there meekly & mannerly, waiting to be noticed, while lads can easily make eye to eye contact (and bellow out their orders) a good foot over your head. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

For any Dublin bus, there should ideally be two queues. One on the left of the front door for punters paying by coin. The other on the right for those on passes or swipe cards. The queue on the right will always move faster. Dublin bus itself encourages this and even reduces fares for regular commuters.
    Of course everybody just lumps in together and slowcoaches counting their coins get shoved to one side as regular users are in a hurry to get on board.

Not exactly true. With the Leap card you still have to queue up on the left with the cash payers and place your card on the driver's machine if you are going less than 13 stages. If you swipe on the right and are only going a short distance you are still charged the max Leap fare of €2.50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Unfortunately, making a scene is not in everyones DNA. If you are a 5ft 2 female, 'tis often your lot in life to stand there meekly & mannerly, waiting to be noticed, while lads can easily make eye to eye contact (and bellow out their orders) a good foot over your head. :o

I'm a 5'1 female and while I have this problem occasionally, usually bigger guys tend to pull me in front of them and get me served faster because they know I'll keep being ignored! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I think one of the most annoying queues is the one in the waiting lounge for the Enterprise train in Conolly station. its a room with a few rows of seats all leading to a door at the end that when it is opened lets everyone out to board the train.

This has the effect of creating several lines of people all heading queueing to get out the same door and onto the same train and then flanking either side of each queue is a row of seated people who stand up and add themselves to the queue.

There is always a bit of a Ryanair boarding queue effect here as when one person starts a queue at the door it prompts everyone to start queueing.

Fierce unorganised!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭Mc Kenzie

Laneyh wrote: »
    I think people understand queues very well they just don't think they apply to them.
    It's possibly a consequence of being a small country with a relatively small population. Most people have the attitude that they're only one person and will just suit themselves.
    The older guys in the shop probably just don't care or feel entitled to skip as they are older.

On the other hand we are still quite good when it comes to offering seats to people on public transport or helping people with their luggage etc.
    (I am only drawing this conclusion on personal experience and comparing it to living in England)

So try not to let a few ignorant people get to you

Im from England myself and in my experience I find Dublin to be much Less accommodating to assist the elderly on a bus.

IMO in the U.K people are more polite and obliging. Here in dublin at least I seen a poor old man get on the bus in front of me with a walking stick and not one person got up to give him a seat in the front. He had a walking stick and stumbled into an awkward seat in the back. I wouldnt mind but they were well able 50 year olds that never stood up. Gosh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭GinnyR

Im from England myself and in my experience I find Dublin to be much Less accommodating to assist the elderly on a bus.

IMO in the U.K people are more polite and obliging. Here in dublin at least I seen a poor old man get on the bus in front of me with a walking stick and not one person got up to give him a seat in the front. He had a walking stick and stumbled into an awkward seat in the back. I wouldnt mind but they were well able 50 year olds that never stood up. Gosh

I'd say the opposite. Much friendlier & more helpful in dublin compared to where i live in the uk.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Queueing at bus stops doesn't typically make sense. There's generally multiple buses serving each stop, which some customers paying on the right hand validator while others pay cash. Buses also don't always stop right beside the stop, the location of the queue may render it pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Queueing at bus stops doesn't typically make sense. There's generally multiple buses serving each stop, which some customers paying on the right hand validator while others pay cash. Buses also don't always stop right beside the stop, the location of the queue may render it pointless.

I agree with this, I never queue for a bus or to board a plane and tbh I don't get why other people do. I'll stand on the street till the last second and then get on. The way I see it is the bus or plane isn't going anywhere till the last person gets on to it so being last on suits me down to the ground. Its rare I get the bus but on my route I know I'll get a seat most of the time so standing on the street in a queue really serves no benefit. On top of that buses often overshoot the actual stop and the queue suddenly becomes pretty pointless as those closest to the doors board first.

For years I've found the psychology of queues fascinating, I don't like to be cynical about it but sometimes people really do act like sheep and a kind of groupthink takes over and people end up doing something that is unnecessary. Sometimes queuing is the worst thing you can do, I remember backpacking in Honduras a few years back and getting a ferry off Utila island and back to the mainland. There was over 100 backpackers queuing up on the pier in one very long line. Everyone had already a ferry ticket in hand and was queuing to be first on board for an hour long trip. They stood there in a raging hot sun burning some 40 degrees for nearly an hour before boarding began. Me and a friend looked at the queue and instead went swimming off a beach less than 100m away. When the queue moved we still had time to get dry and changed before boarding last. In doing so our backpacks went right at the top of the pile in the hold and our backpacks were first off the pile for collection on the pier the other side. So the people who were at the top of the queue waited the longest to get on board and then waited the longest to pick up their bags from the bottom of a very large pile. We had a good laugh about it which admittedly came with glowing feelings of smugness !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

Some seriously special queues for ATMs I do see. For example, Grafton Street (one of the busiest streets in the country on a weekend), folks would be queuing perpendicular to the bank's facade, sometimes as far as the middle of the street, rather than forming a much neater queue along the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

People jump the Q because people let them.

If somebody does it you have to call them out on it.

The Spanish are shocking for this. My OH is Spanish and whenever we go to her home town I am always having trouble. It's funny in Spain because when you call them out there is loads of shouting and arm waving but they feck off to the back of the line eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Some seriously special queues for ATMs I do see. For example, Grafton Street (one of the busiest streets in the country on a weekend), folks would be queuing perpendicular to the bank's facade, sometimes as far as the middle of the street, rather than forming a much neater queue along the wall.

This drives me feckin nuts. Especially on a busy Saturday. I just have to plough through them.

Advertisement