Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halfords

Options
  • 30-09-2014 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Last Wednesday I brought a bicycle at Halfords in Cork. Upon opening the box and beginning the set up of the bike I notice the the front wheel had a burst tube due to improper installation of the spokes. When checking the rear tyre one of the m6 bolts sheared off. I contact Halfords in Cork who told me to bring in into any of their store for a repair.

I brought the bike into the Portlaiose store on Saturday. They fixed the front tyre but informed me that the bolt was unfixable. I left it with them for to examine the bike until Monday.

On Monday the bike was not fixed and the staff didn't want to refused to repair it. I was told that I'm not allowed a refund or exchange. As the discussion continued, with a lot of <SNIP> from the manager, the store manager began to make me feel uncomfortable and I started to worry for my safety.

After being kick out of the store I tried to call the customer helpline. Which was a task to find the number (incorrect number on the website, store manager gave me the wrong number). After lodging my complain with Halfords I took the bike to other bike mechanics in town who told me the bolt shouldn't have sheared and that they where able to fix the bike.

During this I received an email of an offer from Halfords. 10% off a new bike. I rejected it and informed them that I was given offers of repair for around €15-€20 euros.

This email was never replied to.

Today I call Halfords and got speaking to one of the managers. He is refusing to listen to me and informs me that if I talk he will hang up on me. He offered to repair the bike in the Portlaiose store for €30. (The store that told me they couldn't fix it)

Tomorrow Halfords will ring me back with another offer after the manager gets the "facts" from the store manager.

I'm willing to take a €30 hit just to get rid of the bike at this stage.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I bought a bike in halfords. The light fell off. The saddle flipped back when i was cycling. And the handle bars started twisting around.

Moral of the story. If you value your safety, do not buy a bike in halfords.

Get your reputable store to repair the bike. Attach a copy of the invoice of the repair to a formal complaint letter and post it to halfords. If they don't reply the small claims court is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 52,014 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Small claims court will only set you back 15 euro i believe and they won't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tenifan wrote: »
    I bought a bike in halfords. The light fell off. The saddle flipped back when i was cycling. And the handle bars started twisting around.

Moral of the story. If you value your safety, do not buy a bike in halfords.

Get your reputable store to repair the bike. Attach a copy of the invoice of the repair to a formal complaint letter and post it to halfords. If they don't reply the small claims court is a good option.
    They might refund you out of good will but they will not be obliged to honour any such invoice as they did not agree to it in advance.
    Small claims court will only set you back 15 euro i believe and they won't like it.
    A case with the SCC costs €25 and it helps if you can show you have tried all reasonable avenues with the company first. You can only claim for the damage/repair, not the court fee or things like stress, etc. So even if you won this case, in reality you won't be any better off.

Advertisement