Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

offer accepted but they did work today

Options
  • 30-09-2014 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

So as my othet post said we made an offer on a property. Mortgage being dealt with etc and the agent asked would we be getting an engineer to view it. Yes we replied yesterday.
    This afternoon as we passed the house (we living closeby) there were 2 guys putting up new wood on the eves of the house. We were rushing to collect kid so couldnt stop and when we were on way back they were gone and it seems they took down the faccia soffit put green timber under and nailed the faccia stuff back up! Wtf. Obviously they must have patched something up and I suppose its to our advantage we saw so the engineer can look into properly. But now we are worried. Anyone any advise or knowledge of something like this please?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Cadyboo wrote: »
    So as my othet post said we made an offer on a property. Mortgage being dealt with etc and the agent asked would we be getting an engineer to view it. Yes we replied yesterday.
    This afternoon as we passed the house (we living closeby) there were 2 guys putting up new wood on the eves of the house. We were rushing to collect kid so couldnt stop and when we were on way back they were gone and it seems they took down the faccia soffit put green timber under and nailed the faccia stuff back up! Wtf. Obviously they must have patched something up and I suppose its to our advantage we saw so the engineer can look into properly. But now we are worried. Anyone any advise or knowledge of something like this please?

Has your offer been accepted?, you do not own the property yet so the owner is free to do repairs. Your engineer is responsible for noting any issues with soffits and anything else for that matter.

In short, until you sign the contract, this is not your property.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

davo10 wrote: »
    Has your offer been accepted?, you do not own the property yet so the owner is free to do repairs. Your engineer is responsible for noting any issues with soffits and anything else for that matter.

In short, until you sign the contract, this is not your property.

Yes I know its not ours tge offer has been accepted. But isnt it strange for them to do this the day after offer accepted and us telling them we will definitely be getting an engineer? Especially when house was idle for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

There could be several reasons they are doing repairs. If the house was idle for months the owner may have been putting off spending money on it until they were sure they were going to sell it.

However, I would personally assume something was wrong and would look very closely at it. Be aware that most engineers will NOT climb a ladder up to the facia.

You could ask the estate agent straight out to explain the works carried out.

All in all, I would not worry but I would not complete sale until I was satisfied completey. I know it is easy for me to say but I almost made huge mistake recently with similar issue.

Be sure before you sign on the dotted line

What area is the house in?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Cadyboo wrote: »
    This afternoon as we passed the house (we living closeby) there were 2 guys putting up new wood on the eves of the house.
    New wood, or cheaper design? If the latter, have a look at other unsold houses for the wood that was on the house, and get the EA to clarify what was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

We are in cork and its a bungalow. They used green wood and its fairly obvious above where they tacked on the white faccia stuff. What could they be hiding? Holes, wood rot, I knpw it has been a rental for years so I cant imagine the owner did too much maintenance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,422 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The green timber is ordinary timber that has been treated with a preservative that happens to be green. This is perfectly normal.

The engineer is perfectly capable of seeing the inside and outside of the eaves.

Advertisement