Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Lucan

• 30-09-2014 6:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi,

Me and my wife are moving to Lucan soon and I am looking to hear of anyone's experiences,good or bad about the area. More specifically, we are moving to Johnsbridge, just off Griffeen Park. We've spoken to a lot of local people and have heard good things. We are familiar enough with Lucan but as we don't live there it's good to hear from more people. Any info on activities in park, running clubs, bootcamps, anti-social behaviour, community group/committee....etc. Generally anything you may feel would be useful info to a young couple moving to a new area.

Note: I have read all related posts I could find about same topic.

Many thanks for your time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Big Cheese wrote: »
    Hi,

Me and my wife are moving to Lucan soon and I am looking to hear of anyone's experiences,good or bad about the area. More specifically, we are moving to Johnsbridge, just off Griffeen Park. We've spoken to a lot of local people and have heard good things. We are familiar enough with Lucan but as we don't live there it's good to hear from more people. Any info on activities in park, running clubs, bootcamps, anti-social behaviour, community group/committee....etc. Generally anything you may feel would be useful info to a young couple moving to a new area.

From my experience, the area is quiet and has a lot of settled families etc. You'd be pretty much right beside Griffeen Valley Park which has plenty of GAA pitches, soccer pitches, dog run, skateboard park, playground (little run down) and a sports hall the opposite side of the park from Johnsbridge. The Sports hall does different evening classes, you'd have to research the place to know what classes are on.

The area and close proximity is covered by 3 Educate Together primary schools, 2 Gaelscoil primary schools, 1 Gaelscoil secondary and soon to be 1 VEC/ET secondary. Further afield to where Superquinn was there are other primary and secondary schools. If you've kids or planning to have kids then advice would be to get names down on list the min they're born, school places at a premium.

Traffic in the mornin is dreadful, the 25a and 25b service the area quite frequently in the morn, about 50mins to City centre in the morn maybe 30mins off peak.

There's tonnes more than can be said about the place but I find it a good area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Hi,

Hi;

I live in Grange Manor, its across from Johnsbridge, other side of the road.
    I love the area, nice and quiet, bus service is 25b to town and its a good service usually. If u get the bus before 7:40, its quick enough in town and no traffic to deal with.

As for the park, its grand, full of sport activities, i run in it quiet often.

For running clubs there is Lucan Harriers, I am a member. The track is beside superValu and train in the park during the summer.

Anything you need to know, just pm us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

Great info, thank you both. Good start, any other queries I'll pm

cheers

Great info, thank you both. Good start, any other queries I'll pm

cheers

No hassle, I'd definitely recommend the area. Oh and I'm a blow in, amn't from the area originally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭alias no.9

van_beano wrote: »
    The area and close proximity is covered by 3 Educate Together primary schools, 2 Gaelscoil primary schools, 1 Gaelscoil secondary and soon to be 1 VEC/ET secondary. Further afield to where Superquinn was there are other primary and secondary schools. If you've kids or planning to have kids then advice would be to get names down on list the min they're born, school places at a premium.

The practice of speculatively putting baby names on school waiting lists the morning after getting jiggy is thankfully at an end. It is definitely the case in the Gaelscoils that names are only taken in the October/November before the child is due to start junior infants, I hope all the schools are now following this practice. There is still priority given to siblings of other pupils for practical reasons but the ridiculous waiting lists are a thing of the past.

• Advertisement

alias no.9 wrote: »
    The practice of speculatively putting baby names on school waiting lists the morning after getting jiggy is thankfully at an end. It is definitely the case in the Gaelscoils that names are only taken in the October/November before the child is due to start junior infants, I hope all the schools are now following this practice. There is still priority given to siblings of other pupils for practical reasons but the ridiculous waiting lists are a thing of the past.

Naomh Padraig only started the process of registering the year before the child starts this year, Eiscir Riada still have waiting lists, 240 applicants for 64 spots last year, 47 spots already taken due to siblings. IIRC Educate Togethers don't have a siblings policy. The DOE are lookin to revamp the current system of allocating places alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,853 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Esker won't accept names till the year they are starting. Because Johnsbridge is on the right side of the Griiffeen river, they get first preference to Esker. We moved from TullyHall to Grange Manor for one of these reasons, and now kid wont be going to school in lucan at all:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,611 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Not in ET, at least not in GVET. If you don't have your child on the list as soon as you have a birth cert, it's unlikely you'll have a place. No sibling policies either, first come first get only and very strict age cut-off dates.

It's supply and demand really (with supply obviously short) and the first come first get policy is the most fair in giving everybody an equal chance...

unkel wrote: »
    Not in ET, at least not in GVET. If you don't have your child on the list as soon as you have a birth cert, it's unlikely you'll have a place. No sibling policies either, first come first get only and very strict age cut-off dates.

It's supply and demand really (with supply obviously short) and the first come first get policy is the most fair in giving everybody an equal chance...

Tell ya what though, it's bloody stressful waiting for that acceptance letter! If you live in any of the estates in the Griffeen Valley area then you really need to be able to be in a school close enough that you can walk to, the school traffic can be really bad. On a side point, the Gaelscoils catchment area is Lucan/Palmerstown, it's a massive area. I heard somewhere, I could be wrong, but would the Lucan/Palmerstown area have the highest concentration of school going children in the country?

Advertisement