Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fridges keep breaking

Options
  • 30-09-2014 7:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I live in an old house and our fridges keep breaking. We got our third one in 3 years two weeks ago and this one has gone now as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Odelay

Did you plug in it right after moving it? Could be wrong but think you have to let the gas settle after moving it, I could be very wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Ranchu

Odelay wrote: »
    Did you plug in it right after moving it? Could be wrong but think you have to let the gas settle after moving it, I could be very wrong!

Nah, left it for hours. It's been running fine until this. Keeps happening though and it's extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Fridges are one item that should last years and years, the technology has not changed much in decades.

Was there any particular problem with the fridges when they stopped working ?
    Was the light coming on inside them?
    Any chance its a rodent problem with them damaging the equipment at the back of the fridge ?

Fridges are one item that should last years and years, the technology has not changed much in decades.

Was there any particular problem with the fridges when they stopped working ?
    Was the light coming on inside them?
    Any chance its a rodent problem with them damaging the equipment at the back of the fridge ?

No damage done to any wiring etc. The fridges just stop. It was making noise earlier and now it's doing nothing and is defrosting. The light is still working. Same as the other two. The last one went for the guts of a year. This one is less than 2 weeks old.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Is there sufficient room behind the fridge to allow air to circulate? The coils at the back get hot and need to disperse the heat.

Another possibility is a bad connection in the socket (or elsewhere on the circuit).
    I replaced two microwaves before relocating the microwave (moved for ease of access, not because of the previous failures). Some months later I discovered a loose wire in the socket.

(My fridge is approaching 20 years old!)

• Advertisement

Is there sufficient room behind the fridge to allow air to circulate? The coils at the back get hot and need to disperse the heat.

Another possibility is a bad connection in the socket (or elsewhere on the circuit).
    I replaced two microwaves before relocating the microwave (moved for ease of access, not because of the previous failures). Some months later I discovered a loose wire in the socket.

(My fridge is approaching 20 years old!)

The old ones were pushed right in but this one was left with more clearance as I read that can be an issue. I think it must be some sort of electrical issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

Did you measure the voltage at the socket?

Did you measure the voltage at the socket?

I have no idea how to do that. I get the impression that this is a constant issue as the estate agent just replaces the fridges with no questions asked. I'll see what they say tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,837 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is the room they are in particularly cold or damp?

Not cold. Possibly a bit damp but nothing that can be fixed easily. Its a terraced house from the 1870's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have had 2 in 3 years, mine was due to power surges after running some tests.

krissovo wrote: »
    I have had 2 in 3 years, mine was due to power surges after running some tests.

Could be power surges. Our lights tend to dim and flicker a bit every now and again. I've noticed the same thing happens in our local on the same block.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭adrian92

Previous comments touched on two possibilities:
    1. Leave the new fridge in its position of use for many hours before plugging it in to the power supply ( this is, as said earlier to allow the gas and liquid , within the machine to separate)

2. Possibly due to low voltage - low voltage reduces the motor life - especially for fridge compressors. If you cannot measure your voltage fry to find a competent person to do this - easy for a competent person. If you have low voltage there may be other indications such as lightbulb with a short life. Perhaps ask a neighbour if experiencing similar problems.

Do not ignore. The fridge failure you describe indicates a problem with the electrical system - investigation required, in my view

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 700 ✭✭✭mikeyjames9

adrian92 wrote: »
    If you have low voltage there may be other indications such as lightbulb with a short life.

lower voltage would extend incandescent lamp life

Advertisement