Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland could face a fine of €1,000,000,000 (yes, one billion) in EC Apple probe

• 30-09-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭

The $8 billion in back taxes that Apple could owe in the wake of a preliminary report by the European Commission (EC) on Tuesday would be dwarfed by the amount Apple saved through tax deals that the company struck with the Irish government over the past three decades.

Ireland’s 12.5 percent corporate tax rate is low by international standards, but a U.S. Senate subcommittee found last year that Apple has managed to pay an effective tax rate of less than 2 percent and even no taxes on some profits in Ireland.
    If the EC decides the tax deal is state aid to Apple, it could fine Ireland up to $1.26 billion and Apple up to 10 percent of its revenue, which could amount to $17 billion. But the preliminary report suggests that the EC would seek “recovery of the aid,” which could be about $8 billion or billions more, depending on how many years of back taxes the EC would seek.

http://www.ibtimes.com/apple-inc-could-owe-8-billion-back-taxes-eu-1697030

What's everyone's take on this? I'm noticing a lot of people who are usually very pro EU, now saying they should mind their own business.. which is a bit ironic really.

Is expecting huge companies to pay their fair share of taxes really a bad thing?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

they can take the roads back, we haven't got a ****ing billion to give them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

My mind plays elevator music when I see that many zeros

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

But we'll also get several billions in back payment, but end up with several hundred thousand in the dole if FDI pulls out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Specialun

We give them a bendy iphone instead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

ted1 wrote: »
    But we'll also get several billions in back payment, but end up with several hundred thousand in the dole if FDI pulls out

Not sure why this would lead to all FDI pulling out but anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,070 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It doesn't mention that in any articles. They suggest that the EC would be the ones receiving back payments from Apple through fines.

I think, but am open to correction, that if Ireland granted state-aid to Apple and agreed to them paying the tax they paid; then we have no real entitlement to any back payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

If apple are given that much how much are Intel, Dell et al given?

I worry for Irish jobs. Burosso & Amunia are only taking care of Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 61,012 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Europe now know if they say bend over and take your punishment, Ireland will bend over and say thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

To pay it we could start charging people for water!

wait...

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    Not sure why this would lead to all FDI pulling out but anyway.

Because the cost of doing buisness will increase. Double Irish loophole will be closed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

8-1=7

So the Irish have pulled off the biggest €7 Billion stroke in history. Should we stick it in the poor box or keep it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Why don't they close the loopholes instead of concentrating on a thirty year old deal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Im beginning to wish the EU would kindly F off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

It's far more likely Apple would have to pay the Irish government in back taxes.

Me too. Allowing access to our water should be considered state aid too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Maybe we should hold a referendum at the same time as the British?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jodaw

The EU. A great bunch of lads!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Enda Kenny says Knowledge economy when shitting on about Apple/twitter/google/ linkedin and Ireland.
    All I see is............

It's far more likely Apple would have to pay the Irish government in back taxes.

Why so? It's not as if Apple have been hoodwinking us for the last 30 years. The Irish government of the day are the ones that brought that deal to the table!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,002 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think, but am open to correction, that if Ireland granted state-aid to Apple and agreed to them paying the tax they paid; then we have no real entitlement to any back payment.

Yep, when the lawyers are done with it and it gets handed to tax consultants it will all drift away. This is between Ireland and the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It doesn't mention that in any articles. They suggest that the EC would be the ones receiving back payments from Apple through fines.

would the EC have any real entitlement to keep the 8bn though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭jodaw

Do you honestly think Ireland would have a say in keeping it?:D

I dunno how it'd work but presumably if they were to demand money from Apple it would be through direct fines for breaching antitrust laws and regulations rather than 'back-payment of taxes', so I guess they'd be entitled to do with it as they please as they are the ones responsible for enforcing such regulations.

Apple apparently has assets of 652 billion dollars. 8 billion should be a drop in the ocean for them

The government should use the money to build the underground

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Apple apparently has assets of 652 billion dollars. 8 billion should be a drop in the ocean for them

Yeah? Not put it back into the pension fund they decimated bailing out their buddies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

The government should use the money to pay off 4.4% of our debt...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,711 ✭✭✭C.K Dexter Haven

they can take the roads back, we haven't got a ****ing billion to give them!

So, that'll be the Dundrum section of the Luas line. Yeah, I can live with that.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

Only now?
    Anyone who ever thought that centralising decision making for 27 countries in the German Chancellors office would work in the interests of a small island floating behind another island out in the North Atlantic has an underpants on their head and two pencils up their nose. It is, and always was, an absolutely fukking stoopid idea.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Only now?
    Anyone who ever thought that centralising decision making for 27 countries in the German Chancellors office would work in the interests of a small island floating behind another island out in the North Atlantic has an underpants on their head and two pencils up their nose. It is, and always was, an absolutely fukking stoopid idea.

<
    has an underpants on head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

<
    has an underpants on head.

What about the pencils?

Only now?
    I have been pro european up until recently. I am finding myself agreeing with David Cameron more and more now and Im fast becoming anti EU

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭0byme75341jo28

I want to have sex with Angela Merkel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

Only now?

QFT.
    Please run in the next GE...

Because the cost of doing buisness will increase. Double Irish loophole will be closed.

I dont think this has anything to do with the double Irish loophole tbh.

• Advertisement

bet ye she has a massive merkin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Turkey Jowls and the ability to channel the spirit of Der Fuhrer is a real turn on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

bet ye she has a massive merkin

It is on her head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,397 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Okay how about we make a deal? We will pay the fine if the EU agree we no longer have to support all the bad gambles their banks made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

They've a f*cking cheek asking everyone to tighten their belts, and letting the richest of the rich off lightly in tax. C*ntin' f*ck c*nts at their best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You can take our water
    You can take our income
    But you'll NEVER take our corporate tax rate!

I think that about sums up Irelands priorities

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

All part of the master plan to have tax harmonisation across the EU.

The EU is showing its true colours and the people of this country still think we can't survive without them. People laughed at Scotland for having Stockholm syndrome...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

Dempsey wrote: »

The EU is showing its true colours and the people of this country still think we can't survive without them. People laughed at Scotland for having Stockholm syndrome...

I don't follow.

Scotland, as part of the UK, is still in the EU.

Eh...we cant.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mint Aero wrote: »
    They've a f*cking cheek asking everyone to tighten their belts, and letting the richest of the rich off lightly in tax. C*ntin' f*ck c*nts at their best.

We badly need our corporationt tax, if harmonisation is allowed to happen we're in trouble in terms of attracting and keeping multi corporations. It's one of the few things the government has got right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

OMG, yes! So hot to have my hairy gut and her sweaty gunt, rubbing and slapping off each other as we do our sexy naked love dance. Add some clothes pegs, a table tennis paddle, gaffer tape, some wire gauze and a size 17 spanner...now that's a good night!

Also, down with loop holes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Well fcuk it anyway, after years of always wanting a I phone I finally get one... Does this mean I'll have to give it back ?

Augmerson wrote: »
    I don't follow.

Scotland, as part of the UK, is still in the EU.

I think he means in so far as that they were 'afraid' to go it alone outside of the UK

Anyway, state-aid to companies is illegal under competition laws. The EC aren't just pulling ideas out of their arse and applying them exclusively to Ireland. Other nations and companies are under the same scrutinies and subject to the same sort of regulation.

Starbucks in the Netherlands and Fiat in Luxembourg are also being investigated at present. Naturally Apple, as the biggest market capataliser in the world is getting most attention.

And it's not about harmonisation, it's about ensuring a basic degree of competitiveness within the EU. Nobody is demanding that we change our CT rate in all of this (though many would like us to), they just want us and other countries to commit to the one we set ourselves, without any underhanded backroom dealings that give us an unfair advantage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Rucking_Fetard

kneemos wrote: »
    Why don't they close the loopholes instead of concentrating on a thirty year old deal?
    New Global Plan Would Crack Down On Corporate Tax Avoidance
    +1

We badly need our corporationt tax, if harmonisation is allowed to happen we're in trouble in terms of attracting and keeping multi corporations. It's one of the few things the government has got right.

If harmonisation happens in a fair and transparent manner, we're sound.
    France and indeed other nations have effective corpo tax rates lower than ours.
    The thing we have over them, I believe, is the double Irish thing - which to be honest is probably something that needs getting the heave ho anyway.
    At this point a lot of the major multinationals have invested serious money in this country - to pull out would cost significant money, especially IF other states in the EU have the exact same tax laws at that point.

If the government focused on reducing other costs for business, ahead of other states, there might be incentives there to come to Ireland,

• Advertisement
Advertisement