Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IKC Registration question

• 30-09-2014 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hey,

My dog had puppies recently, and I am trying to register the litter.
    My Dam is registered with Irish Kennel Club and Sire is registered with Canine Ireland.
    I am not an Associate Member of IKC, will I still be able to register the puppies?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

No you can't register the pups with the IKC, as both parents aren't registered. Being an Associate member of the IKC has absolutely no bearing on it. Canine Ireland isn't recognised as an official registry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

No you won't be able to. Canine Ireland is not affiliated with the Ikc.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 triusis

Thanks for the reply guys!
    Well that's a bust. So now the puppies will be without any registration :(

Do you own the sire? If not why did you use a dog that wasn't ikc reg?

No I dont own the Sire. This was my first experience in mating dogs, I did it for the sake of my Dam. This was her first litter, Sire's owners told me that their dog is "registered", so I just assumed it was IKC registration. Then when time came to register the puppies they gave me the Registration cert, and it was from Canine Ireland. I assumed it doesn't matter as long as the dog is registered and micro-chipped somewhere. Guess I was wrong :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Canine Ireland will register anything, and take your word on parentage. I've seen with my own eyes a small breed dog that was registered as pure bred with them and clearly wasn't.
    Notorious for puppy farmers to use. Stay well clear of them.

What do you mean for the sake of your dam? It's too late now but you should have asked to see all the paperwork and pedigree first.

OP, did you also just accept their word on genetic health tests, or did they show you the paperwork before the mating?

andreac wrote: »
    What do you mean for the sake of your dam? It's too late now but you should have asked to see all the paperwork and pedigree first.

I decided to mate my Dam at least once before getting her spayed. I heard thats more healthy than if you do it straight away

muddypaws wrote: »
    OP, did you also just accept their word on genetic health tests, or did they show you the paperwork before the mating?
    No they didn't show me anything, they were my mothers friends, so I just took their word, and as I said it was my first time doing something like this, I assumed the paperwork was less complicated than it actually is.

• Advertisement

triusis wrote: »
    I decided to mate my Dam at least once before getting her spayed. I heard thats more healthy than if you do it straight away

Oh dear. That's nonsense. There is absolutely no need for a Bitch to have a litter. How would that be better for her if you are getting her spayed?
    I really wonder where people come up with these ideas.

No they didn't show me anything, they were my mothers friends, so I just took their word, and as I said it was my first time doing something like this, I assumed the paperwork was less complicated than it actually is.

So the puppies were bred from parents that aren't health tested or registered.
    What breed are they if you don't mind me asking?

No, that's an old wife's tale, no health benefits at all. Ah well, its done now, the pups are here, and hopefully she's not suffered any ill effects from going through it all. Have you got homes lined up for the pups? I'm sure people who have bred litters on here can you give guidance on the puppy contracts etc.

So the puppies were bred from parents that aren't health tested or registered.
    What breed are they if you don't mind me asking?
    My Dam is tested and registered wit IKC and she is 4th generation Pedigree. Its the Sire that is not registered. The Puppies are Yorkshire Terriers. All of them miniature

No, that's an old wife's tale, no health benefits at all. Ah well, its done now, the pups are here, and hopefully she's not suffered any ill effects from going through it all. Have you got homes lined up for the pups? I'm sure people who have bred litters on here can you give guidance on the puppy contracts etc.
    No I didn't find them homes yet. Put up an Advert on "Donedeal", still waiting for calls

Sorry but there are no such thing as miniature Yorkshire terriers.

What health tests has the dam got?

No I didn't find them homes yet. Put up an Advert on "Donedeal", still waiting for calls

OP please be very, very careful. Are you doing homechecks for the people buying them, or are you just letting people turn up and leave with a puppy? Unfortunately people are very good at lying, and telling you what you want to hear, they may well tell you how spoilt the pup is going to be, but then the poor thing could end up living outside in a shed with no human interaction at all, or worse. :(

Sorry but there are no such thing as miniature Yorkshire terriers.

What health tests has the dam got?
    Off course there is, they're all Teacup size.

No, Andrea is right, there is no such thing as miniature or teacup yorkies, they are terms used by puppy farmers to make undersize dogs seem more desirable. If your dog is IKC registered, you will see it just says yorkshire terrier, no mention on her papers of being a mini or teacup.

OP please be very, very careful. Are you doing homechecks for the people buying them, or are you just letting people turn up and leave with a puppy? Unfortunately people are very good at lying, and telling you what you want to hear, they may well tell you how spoilt the pup is going to be, but then the poor thing could end up living outside in a shed with no human interaction at all, or worse. :(
    Haven't given away any puppies yet. Ofcourse I will try try to find them good homes, preferably to people I know

• Advertisement

Haven't given away any puppies yet. Ofcourse I will try try to find them good homes, preferably to people I know

Great, sorry, I obviously misunderstood as you've put them on Done Deal :)

No there isn't! ! Even by saying the word teacup shows you don't know about breeds and dog breeding.
    Teacup and miniature are just terms used to describe very small puppies usually which are the runts of the litter and are bred badly.
    You should not be breeding these dogs if they are so called miniature as it is very unhealthy to do so.
    Only puppy farmers and back yard breeders use these terms.
    No reputable breeder would ever breed like this.

No, Andrea is right, there is no such thing as miniature or teacup yorkies, they are terms used by puppy farmers to make undersize dogs seem more desirable. If your dog is IKC registered, you will see it just says yorkshire terrier, no mention on her papers of being a mini or teacup.
    Yes, Ive noticed that. Always wondered why they don't mention their size, now I know:)

No there isn't! ! Even by saying the word teacup shows you don't know about breeds and dog breeding.
    Teacup and miniature are just terms used to describe very small puppies usually which are the runts of the litter and are bred badly.
    You should not be breeding these dogs if they are so called miniature as it is very unhealthy to do so.
    Only puppy farmers and back yard breeders use these terms.
    No reputable breeder would ever breed like this.
    Understood. As I mentioned before I'm not a breeder and don't plan on doing this again

You are a breeder though, regardless if it's done once or ten times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I think this marks a good spot to close this thread, as op has found out what they need to know.
    Thanks,
    DBB

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement