Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sunday lunch in Kilkenny city

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend somewhere good for lunch this Sunday? Ideally something informal, pub food would be perfect.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Had lunch in the Orchard Bar today and was very impressed. Great food and very reasonably priced...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Benny Cake wrote: »
    Had lunch in the Orchard Bar today and was very impressed. Great food and very reasonably priced...

Where's that?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭T L

Matt the Millers would be my first choice. Right beside the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

My choices: Marble City gastro pub for a la carte menu or Newpark Hotel for carvery. If you have young kids the Newpark has a playground and mini-zoo out back too.
    Next choice would be Rafter Dempseys.
    Kilkenny is pretty decent for food so you can't go too wrong anywhere really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Pembroke, zuni, marble city, langtons, not paris texas- chef seen coming out of loo cubicle, with a 2 second wash of fingers..a friend of mine saw it happen...and posted it on their fb page etc..managers reply- better soap in kitchen:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

Grub in Kytlers ain't up to much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

Lemongrass is one of my favourites.

Thanks for the replies. I oersonally hate carvery so we might try the marble arch in langtons. That or the a la carte in the rivercourt

yellow hen wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I oersonally hate carvery so we might try the marble arch in langtons. That or the a la carte in the rivercourt

Zuni is one of the best out there, not carvery and is no. 2 restaurent in trip advisor..we go there a lot...

• Advertisement

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Zuni is one of the best out there, not carvery and is no. 2 restaurent in trip advisor..we go there a lot...

I think the menu looks beautiful but I think my father in law might not. Will try it another time on our own. Thanks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Wimbago

If you must do carvery, Newpark Hotel is probably the best in KK

Wimbago wrote: »
    If you must do carvery, Newpark Hotel is probably the best in KK

I actually hate carvery so pub grub is the happy medium

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Paris Texas is easily best pub grub in kk

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Paris Texas is easily best pub grub in kk

I've been there a few times since they re-opened. The food came worryingly quickly on both occasions which suggests it was nuked or reheated. For what it is, it's a tad expensive as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Langtons by a mile. Great grub, great staff, free parking, never come out of Kilkenny without getting the dinner there. :D

So do you leave the car there, do you're shopping and then get your dinner??:eek:

Or do you park it outside the inner parking regime, and then walk in do shopping, walk out and then repark in langtons.?;)

Oh back on topic..if you love langtons...go to the marble bar for a much classier service and better food to boot..

But people if you havn't been to zuni, i suggest you do..even a new menu from yesterday..

pegasus1 wrote: »
    So do you leave the car there, do you're shopping and then get your dinner??:eek:

Or do you park it outside the inner parking regime, and then walk in do shopping, walk out and then repark in langtons.?;)

Oh back on topic..if you love langtons...go to the marble bar for a much classier service and better food to boot..

But people if you havn't been to zuni, i suggest you do..even a new menu from yesterday..

Jesus, that would be fierce complicated! Seriously I'm mainly in Kilkenny bringing a relative up and down to the hospital, so no shopping involved. Thanks for the tip on the Marble Bar, it sounds great. Park in Dunnes, I suppose? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭RubyGlee

I would go for langtons although its usually very busy sunday lunchtime but lovely food and always a decent roast

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

push the boat out and go to Campagne, more expensive than most but top notch food and the service, comfort etc is hard to beat.
    Zuni is a good spot too,
    personally I never liked the food in Langtons as I think its a bit bland but at the same time its hard to beat for service, atmosphere, comfort etc and they do look after you very well there

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    Jesus, that would be fierce complicated! Seriously I'm mainly in Kilkenny bringing a relative up and down to the hospital, so no shopping involved. Thanks for the tip on the Marble Bar, it sounds great. Park in Dunnes, I suppose? :confused:

Yes, dunnes for parking for that one..or market cross..spend a tenner there in sv for free hour too

Went to Marble City (turned out i had been there before but hadnt realised the name). Couldnt stay as we needed a high chair and its not really kitted out of families (lots of high stools/tables etc). Ended up back in Langtons. I love my food and I honestly thought it was gick. Basic and inexcusable things like a ham or chicken open sandwich which came with bought-in sliced meat. Given they had ham and chicken on the hot menu, couldnt they have put chunks of fresh meat in the salads? Anyway, not my kind of place. Plus it was heaving and still stank of booze from the night before

**cough** zuni does sambos...**cough** and i am near pos pembroke does them as well...pembroke free parking off jacobs st..

Free parking, now you're talking!! :)

Advertisement