Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting a house for first time.

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm about to rent my family home. Firstt time doing this, any advice on what I should do and not do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Do you mean letting or renting?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Do you mean letting or renting?

Letting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Letting.

Do not leave anything you are remotely attached to, particularly sentimental items. Only leave things you don't mind being broken, destroyed or stolen.

Paint the place a neutral colour, take photos of everything and compile a detailed inventory.

Read the RTA, vet your tenants well and register with the PRTB. Research your tax obligations and comply.

That's most of what I can think of

athtrasna wrote: »
    Do not leave anything you are remotely attached to, particularly sentimental items. Only leave things you don't mind being broken, destroyed or stolen.

Paint the place a neutral colour, take photos of everything and compile a detailed inventory.

Read the RTA, vet your tenants well and register with the PRTB. Research your tax obligations and comply.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

athtrasna wrote: »

Plus +1000

Assume everything you leave could be destroyed, so nothing of any sentimental value.

Also, do a detailed inventory of everything you will be leaving. right down to cups & saucers & cutlery, and when handing over the house to a tenant, go through the inventory list with them, and have them sign it, confirming everything you say is there is actually there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

If you think your tenant is going to steal from you, you don't trust your tenant.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

fussyonion wrote: »
    If you think your tenant is going to steal from you, you don't trust your tenant.:rolleyes:

Maybe not the tenant but what if they have a party?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

fussyonion wrote: »

In fairness, who is going to trust someone that they just met? It's about taking precautions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

No I completely understand.

Of course you have to be cautious and obviously you don't leave valuables in your home, but I just thought it sounded a bit weird to say "don't leave anything that might get stolen". I mean, you're going to have to trust your tenant; after all, he/she is going to be living in your property.

I'd be pi**ed off if a LL thought I was going to steal from him.

Thanks guys. Do I need a contract drawen up from a solicitors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭In the wind

Noob question but here it goes.

What's the difference between rent and let?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Noob question but here it goes.

What's the difference between rent and let?

Colloquially, renting is what the tenant does and letting is what the landlord does.

Advertisement