Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 months limit for friends staying?

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am asking for a friend who is staying with his best mate. It is not possible for him to pay rent or his best mate to receive rent. Can he stay at her house for more than 6 months? They have sought legal advice and was told that he can stay up to 6 months. Is it correct?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Personally I wouldn't allow a guest stay more than a week before expecting them to contribute towards rent and bills in a rented house.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Why can't the friend pay or receive rent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

Sorry OP, none of that makes any sense.

And 6 months is taking the pi$s, that's anything from a grand to several grands worth of rent. Would a normal person just hand a friend that sort of money and have no expectation of it ever being returned? No, I don't think most people would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

For the social welfare or local authority or rent allowance purposes any more than 2-3 days is classed as living together. most leases will prohibit guests staying for more than 2-3 nights and also prohibit repeated visits of 2-3 night duration.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

It is impossible to give advice without knowing the context. I'm guessing this is social or tied accommodation, and the 6 months is based on a particular lease or agreement which no one here is privy to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Perhaps it's to prevent attaining part 4 tenancy rights, but that doesn't make sense since their name wouldn't be on the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Big Cheese

It is not possible for him to pay rent or his best mate to receive rent.

Why can't he pay rent? If he unable to afford it he could apply for rent allowance. Also, why can't your friend recieve rent....makes no sense. He should contribute towards the household. Are you saying he does not want to register as a landlord???

Can he stay at her house for more than 6 months? They have sought legal advice and was told that he can stay up to 6 months. Is it correct? Nobody can answer that because there is no context. Are they really just friends or is it a rent allowance scam for person claiming to be single parent?

Advertisement