Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jobs bridge problems

Options
  • 30-09-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

so i started a jobs bridge internship this week in a warehouse packaging pet food, but my problem is that on the jobs bridge website it says the host company should/have to appoint a mentor? i didnt get one which is kinda of annoying as there is alot of machines, producers, methods to know/do obviously i dont know any of them. im expected to know what to do even though i was never showed what to do with anything i was thrown in the deep end the floor manger's they both just through jobs at me and expect me to know what to do one of the girls that was working beside showed me what to do i would of been lost with out her she showed me more then the two floor mangers. should i say something or should i just keep going? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I would definitely say something. Especially as there is machinery involved - You could end up having a serious accident or worse if you're not careful.

If the manager doesn't want to play ball? Report him to Welfare, and walk. Employers are not supposed to take slaves, sorry - interns without proper training and someone to mentor them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭pharmaton

I've been interning for three months now so I'm a bit familiar with the procedure at this stage. You should have received documentation outlining the tasks/experience/skills that you would learn/train in and a named mentor by your host organisation when you started. It should also state the amount of hours you are required to work and other information relevant to your job.
    I do have a mentor who oversees my internship but I work with different teams of people so it depends on the area I'm working in as to how much instruction I get. I spent two months in one department getting full on instruction from one particular employee every day and another month in a department that I get little to no instruction at all. (but the experience I gained in the first department crosses over so I manage).
    At the beginning of the third month I received correspondence from job bridge asking me to make sure host organisation does "x" and "y" and if there are any problems with the host organisation to contact them through the link supplied. I have regular contact with my mentor and quick access through mail if I have any queries and she's been fairly bang on with everything from the get go.

If you haven't received documentation yet ask your host for clarification of the duties/tasks/hours required of you and who your mentor is, and don't hesitate to contact jobBridge (through website) if they are unable to provide same.

Advertisement