Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Movember Mo Run - Nov 15th - 5k & 10k

Options
  • 30-09-2014 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

I signed up for this yesterday. I'm really excited! Last year's Mo Run was my first ever race (after starting running that July), so I'm running the 5k again for nostalgia to celebrate a year of racing!

Anyone else doing this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

I've signed up - ran it a few years back and found it to be good craic, looking forward to it :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Just to point out, don't be fooled into thinking your money is going to a charity. As far as I can see (and from previous threads)this is another race organised by a private for profit company. There is no mention on the website that any of the entry fee goes to movember. They only encourage participants to fundraise themselves.

https://dublin.mo-running.com/event-details/
    The Fix Events is proud to be supporting Movember and the Irish Cancer Society. PLEASE NOTE fundraising is optional and just your participation alone will be more than appreciated.

Oh yeah, and despite the above, they still want people to volunteer for them to organise the race for them for free :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Condo131

I agree completely with menoscemo...and I'm a Prostate Cancer survivor!

Deep down in the Terms & Conditions:
    "Charity Contributions Mo Running supports Movember and their associated charities worldwide and for every person that registers a percentage of your entry fee will go directly to Movember. This percentage varies according to location and is stated on each local website however the standard percentage is approximately 10% of your entry fee."

This actually read "......is approximately 15% of your entry fee." until a few days ago

Grrr......I sense "a Joe Duffy moment" coming up! :mad::mad::mad:

This is just a fundraiser for a commercial company, with a charity "splash" added on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

This race should be banned from the park.These are the type of races making money off the back of advertising through a charity.

No more than 1.5% goes to charity here.

Go do a park run and have fun doing it for free.Throw a few bob direct to the charity but don't do this race.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Well, firstly, I never assume that a charity race’s entry fee goes directly/entirely to the charity. The MoRun Terms and Conditions say 10% goes to the charity, not sure where you are getting 1.5% from?

And even when I give my money direct to a charity, a portion of my donation goes to overheads/admin/salaries. How is this any different?

The Dublin Simon Fun Run this Saturday is a ‘professionally organised race’ according to their website, and they also ask for volunteers to help at the race. Their entry fee was higher than the MoRun entry fee too. Should I boycott that race too?

I think the point of a charity race is more to raise awareness, amongst runners taking part in it and the friends/family/coworkers they fundraise from. How is that a bad thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Simon organise that run themselves and as such can manage the costs and take all the profits [if any, clearly]

This is a for profit company, piggy backing on top of Movember and making that fact very unclear...

Agree 100% that it should be banned IMHO - but each to their own and if you want to do it, go ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Well, firstly, I never assume that a charity race’s entry fee goes directly/entirely to the charity. The MoRun Terms and Conditions say 10% goes to the charity, not sure where you are getting 1.5% from?

And even when I give my money direct to a charity, a portion of my donation goes to overheads/admin/salaries. How is this any different?

The Dublin Simon Fun Run this Saturday is a ‘professionally organised race’ according to their website, and they also ask for volunteers to help at the race. Their entry fee was higher than the MoRun entry fee too. Should I boycott that race too?

I think the point of a charity race is more to raise awareness, amongst runners taking part in it and the friends/family/coworkers they fundraise from. How is that a bad thing?

Simon and aware races might use professional companies (chip timing etc) to organise their races but you registration fee goes to the charity. They then obviously have to pay the overheads out of these fees but the profits remain with the charity.

In the case of the Mo-Runs, your fee goes directly to a professional event organising company http://www.thefixevents.com/. Then depending on how much profit they make; they may (or may not) donate a small % to charity. The bit that annoys me is that they market the Mo-Running events in a way that makes probably 90% of the particiapnts believe that the event is being run by a charity; you have to read the small print with a microscope to realise that's not the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Duanington

These guys have had a lot of bad press in the past for presenting this run as a "charity run" ( and rightly so ) but I do know that a lot of people taking part do their own fundraising on the back of it.

I didn't sign up to support a charity BTW - just to run a race that has been a bit of craic in the past :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I signed up a few weeks ago as well. I assumed it was for charity when I signed up but that wasn't the reason I entered anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Stevo1983

Going to do the 10k. Just need to buy a fake moustache as my facial hair grows at the rate of a ten year old boy's facial hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I'm in for the 10km run, did the course last year but for a different event. 2 good laps & a lot easier a course than other 10kns in the park

I know this is a controversial run but just wanted to say good luck to everyone running and hope the weather is nice for us!

I always wear my 'This Fat Girl Runs' sign on my back, if you see me be sure to say hello!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I know this is a controversial run but just wanted to say good luck to everyone running and hope the weather is nice for us!

I always wear my 'This Fat Girl Runs' sign on my back, if you see me be sure to say hello!

Hi, I recognise ur name from other threads, fair play to u for doing this run! I am doing the 10k tomorrow with a few friends for the laugh too. We will be sporting real 'home grown mo's ', mad afro wigs, medallions and orange and green 70's style shirts that can be seen from space :-)

I know that probably not a lot of money will go to charity, but people have the option to fund raise on their own too if they want. My dad is battling prostrate cancer at the moment (going OK ish at the moment, so fingers crossed), so I liked the idea of supporting the 'idea' of the race to raise awareness of men's health.

Best of luck tomorrow and enjoy the run, we are going to have a blast!!

I'm not sure where some people got their information from but this was an official Movember race as it is listed on the Movember website as an official event.
    I thoroughly enjoyed the race today. Great atmosphere and great fun. Definitely do it again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Great day today!
    Nice course, good crowd, some truly amazing costumes and Mos to be seen
    For me thumbs up

I found this on Facebook.https:
    1926273_926471744048083_6510659610566126982_o.jpg

Thanks. Wow. That's a big...picture. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Thanks. Wow. That's a big...picture. :P

How'd you get on today? Hope it went well for you!

Ososlo wrote: »
    How'd you get on today? Hope it went well for you!

I had a great time! I was hoping to run it in under 40 minutes, but on the course had no idea how I was doing. Turns out I ran it in 38:29! :D I'm over the moon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I had a great time! I was hoping to run it in under 40 minutes, but on the course had no idea how I was doing. Turns out I ran it in 38:29! :D I'm over the moon!

Super! That's a big pb yeah?
    Good on ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

I did it!!! Like you TFGR this run has huge significance fo me for lots of reasons. The last year I have worked so hard on completing 5k and 10ks without stopping. I can do it no problem by myself but when I enter an event I screw it up every time.

Today was the turn of the 10k and I used EVERYTHING I learned this past year. .whether it be event mistakes I made...tricks I picked up while running myself. ..advice I got on here. ..I pulled it all out of the bag today and I did it!!! My time wasn't great 1:04.....but that wasn't my aim...I conquered every demon I had about event running and I never stopped till I got to the finish line.

Speed is my next focus. ..at the moment im using land marks and street signs and I'll continuing doing that till my foot is 100% again. ..after that I'm gonna try a few of the sessions in the continuity thread and see if I can pick up a bit of speed.

I have to say I got a bit weepy after and just about held it together till I got back to the car lol

And if I can bleat on for a little longer I have to say a massive thanks to seanpuddin for giving me the advice to slow down to cover a bigger distance and an even more massive thanks to ecoli for fixing my foot so I could run today and for all the fantastic advice and encouragement.

Well done TFGR on a fantastic time! Raging I didn't see you today!

I did it!!! Like you TFGR this run has huge significance fo me for lots of reasons. The last year I have worked so hard on completing 5k and 10ks without stopping. I can do it no problem by myself but when I enter an event I screw it up every time.

Today was the turn of the 10k and I used EVERYTHING I learned this past year. .whether it be event mistakes I made...tricks I picked up while running myself. ..advice I got on here. ..I pulled it all out of the bag today and I did it!!! My time wasn't great 1:04.....but that wasn't my aim...I conquered every demon I had about event running and I never stopped till I got to the finish line.

Speed is my next focus. ..at the moment im using land marks and street signs and I'll continuing doing that till my foot is 100% again. ..after that I'm gonna try a few of the sessions in the continuity thread and see if I can pick up a bit of speed.

I have to say I got a bit weepy after and just about held it together till I got back to the car lol

And if I can bleat on for a little longer I have to say a massive thanks to seanpuddin for giving me the advice to slow down to cover a bigger distance and an even more massive thanks to ecoli for fixing my foot so I could run today and for all the fantastic advice and encouragement.

Well done TFGR on a fantastic time! Raging I didn't see you today!

Thanks! :D I got weepy too when I checked my time and realised I'd smashed my PB and got my target time. Tears of joy are no bad thing!

Sounds like you had an amazing, brilliant day! Well done! I'm really happy for you achieving your goal! :D I hope your foot gets better soon!

See you at another race?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Well done to both of ye :D

Thanks! :D I got weepy too when I checked my time and realised I'd smashed my PB and got my target time. Tears of joy are no bad thing!

Sounds like you had an amazing, brilliant day! Well done! I'm really happy for you achieving your goal! :D I hope your foot gets better soon!

See you at another race?!

For sure!! Just give me about a year to recover ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Where are the results? I wanna go staiking :D

Well done TFGR and Hannibal, you guys have just reminded me whats so great about running!!

Race report is up on my blog!

I gave a shout out to two boardsies who yelled 'Boardsie' as they ran past me during the race. I don't know who you were, and I tried looking for you afterwards but I only knew what colours you were wearing, not what you looked like!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Great stuff, delighted to hear that u smashed it out of the ball park today, congrats well done !!

I did the 10k with 2 of my friends with mad wigs, shirts and mo's , we had a great laff too, the weather was great and it was good just to see people enjoying themselves....

We decided to race against a crew of pirates, two Mexicans and Super hero's Captain America and Superman!

Well run event and good crack too, would do it again
    :-)

I gave a shout out to two boardsies who yelled 'Boardsie' as they ran past me during the race. I don't know who you were, and I tried looking for you afterwards but I only knew what colours you were wearing, not what you looked like!

Just read it...brought back the tears! Fantastic job....fantastic blog...fantastic event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

That was us!

Sorry for scaring the bejaysus out of you!

• Advertisement

Grassey wrote: »
    That was us!

Sorry for scaring the bejaysus out of you!

It took me by surprise but I loved it! Gave me some energy to keep going! Thanks for that! :D

Advertisement