Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What pet to get?!

• 30-09-2014 10:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

We live in rented accommodation - a three bed house with a very well-enclosed back garden.

There's myself, my partner and our nine month old.

We'd love a dog, but as the house is empty 8-6 each day, I think it would be unfair.

I'd love a cat, himself hates them though.

Any suggestions for a small low-maintenance pet for inexperienced owners with a young child? Was thinking maybe a bird .. ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

If you are living in rented accommodation you'd need to get permission from your landlord/council first before you can have any Type of pet. I'd agree that for a dog to be alone 8 - 6 would be very unfair unless you sent the dog to a dog day care or got a dog walker in during the day. With Cats they are not all solitary creatures, my two love being around the family all day or snoozing Inside, their definetly not low maintenance.

As you have a small child would you consider some tropical fish? Their pretty easy to take care of, goldfish are pond fish so they shouldn't be kept in a tank indoors. I'm sure that other posters will be able to suggest more pets that would suit your situation.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

We had a budgie and he required a good bit of companionship too. If he was left alone too long he went a bit crazy! Leaving on the radio helped when we were out. Birds do create a bit of mess around the cage tho. But then all pets have a certain amount of mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

How old is your child OP? I'd be inclined to wait until they're of school-going age before introducing a pet for the first time- they'll be much more able to follow direction about proper handling and appropriate interactions.

How do you feel about guinea pigs or rats? Obviously only for if the child is a little bit older. I think they'd probably be okay with evening handling, especially if you keep two or three of them together.

Advertisement