Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Year Plan

Options
  • 01-10-2014 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Hopefully attempting to keep this log, will help me keep consistent with running, which I really enjoy but seems to get forgotten about too often!

Background
    I am 33 year old female, currently 72 kg but intending to bring that down closer to 65 kg, with lots of ad hoc & stop start running over the past few years. This year I kicked off with the Tom Brennan memorial race on New Years Day, did another 5 k in Dublin city around St Patrick's Day, the Trinity Run in April and the Waterford Viking Half Marathon in June - times below.

Over the summer, I haven't been lazy per se - was keeping active with hill walking, snippet of climbing, tiny bit of cycling, and Pilates but also haven't done a lot of running. Since start of September have been getting back into bit more of a routine which I hope to keep up.

2014 Race Times

1 Jan 5 k - 29:25
    26 Mar 5 k - 26:37
    9 Apr 5 k - 27:30
    28 Jun 1/2 Marathon - 2:23:05

2014/2015 Goals
    1. Waterford Half Marathon - 6 Dec - 2:15:00
    2. Tom Brennan Memorial NYD - 25 min
    3. Get 5 k time under 25 min
    4. Run a 10 k Race
    5. Crack the secret to swimming
    6. Get weight to 65 kg or a little below
    7. Avoid injury
    8. Feel strong and healthy

I realise that some of them are not very SMART Goals but they are essentially what I am hoping to achieve and I think I can if I am consistent.

Diet
    Over the summer, my diet took a bit of a hammering - far too many takeaways, sugary snacks and meals out. Getting back into a routine now and being strict with myself about not giving into chocolate temptation, not every time anyway.

Typical Day:
    Breakfast 1 - piece of fruit or crackers - basically something I can eat on the go until I get to work
    Breakfast 2 - (in work) porridge with fruit, nuts, honey; large coffee
    Lunch - either some variation of homemade veg soup (usually with veg and either lentils or barley, depending on what was in need of cooking) and crackers or salad and fish (like smoked mackerel or similar); piece of fruit
    Dinner - lots of variety, most of the time will have meat (frequently chicken), try to vary between rice, pasta, potatoes and quinoa, and lots of veg. Generally have some emergency curry/stew/casserole type dish in the freezer for when I am going to be late.
    Snacks - things like: fruit; nuts; carrot/celery sticks; peanut butter on crackers; choc rice cake (am limiting these); yogurt; occasionally baked goods or choc.

Often can't stomach food after a run, so keep some emergency choc milk in the fridge for when I know I have to have something - do try and ease myself into eating with half banana, handful of nuts and pint of water first though.

Just putting diet up now because it is the fuel for exercise but not going to be keeping track of it here, that said if anyone has any ideas for easy to stomach foods after a run, would love to hear them!

Any advice on my running also welcome - happy running!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Might as well put up what I have done this week so far

Monday
    Swimming - pretty shocking, started improvers classes last week and in the process of trying to incorporate proper breathing, I seem to be getting worse. Guess I need to un-learn bad habits!

Tuesday
    Gym - focus on core and upper body. Programme I currently have is starting to feel, not quite easy but a lot less challenging than it used to. Have booked in for assessment Monday week.

Tomorrow there will be actual running in the running log....

Wednesday
    well it was a bit of a right off...had a lunch thing at work, had one beer which went straight to my head - was home and falling asleep by 7pm!!

Thursday
    3.5 k

Ordinarily I don't get a run in on Thursday's because I have swimming lessons but ended up with an hour to kill and after doing nothing yesterday heading to the treadmill in the gym for 3.5k fartlek...actually quite enjoyable using the swimmers in the pool below to time my 'flat out' sections.

60 min swimming class - we are mostly doing drills and there are a lot of us in the class so lots of rest time and I never feel I get a great workout but technique is improving...might have this breathing lark almost figured out :D

Friday
    Gym session at lunch time, focus on armsd and core.

Saturday
    Rest day

Sunday
    LSR: 7.2km at at average pace of 5.50min/km
    Splits were a bit erratic, a tiny hill killed me at one stage but felt good at end, like I could have gone further. Obviously 7k is not exactly long but plan building up over next few weeks.

Week Totals
    Running 10.7k
    Swims x 2
    Gym x 2

Last week was not great - felt tired, sluggish with a sniffle, and just not myself. Thankfully never developed into a proper cold or anything but did mean I only ran twice during the week and my swimming class on thursday:

Tuesday 4k
    Thursday swimming class
    Saturday 6k

Total: 10k

Monday

Easy(ish) run - 4k
    it was meant to be easy run but I was doing it on thread mill and got bored so threw in a few speedier bits for the last 1.5k

Programme design with gym instructor - so was just doing a taster of each exercise to make sure I am doing it right

Tuesday

Rest Day

Wednesday

AM - 3k Tempo run

PM - practice in pool - not a great workout as I am such a weak swimmer but determined I shall get the hang of this breathing business!!

• Advertisement

Last few months have been fairly sh1t3 exercise wise - seems like I constantly had flu like symptoms, was tired, etc and as a result the running was very very ad hoc.

Was on holidays and then away with work for large chunks of January and February so really only have gotten back into a routine since March.

Have signed up to do Rás UCD saturday week - really just to practice racing, the warm up, the nerves, pacing, dealing with having people around etc. After that the following are my target races for the next few months:

Viking Half Marathon - end of June
    Dublin Marathon Series (can't remember dates) - 10k (July?); 10m (Aug?); HM (Sept).

I try and get my mid-week runs in before work and then have a lsr at the weekends. At the moment, I am running based on time - i.e. go out for a 30min/45min run rather than a specific distance. I also walk to work (45min) almost every morning and either walk or cycle (thank you Dublin bikes) and walk home most evenings.

Current plan looks a little something like this:

Monday: Run 25 - 30 min
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Run 30 - 35 min
    Thursday: Run 20 min
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: Run 45 min - increasing this by 5 - 10 minutes over next few weeks until this is up to an hour long.

Stretch after running but also do a longer stretching session on rest mornings. As body gets more used to frequent running again, I would like to get back to the pool. I am a shocking bad swimmer, but I won't get any better on dry land!

Saturday
    Climbed Slieve Donard, Co Down with a few friends. We did the route leaving from the car park in town, up by the river, heading for the Mourne Wall and then following the wall to the summit. On that last bit I am unbelievably slow - took over 2 hours to get up, and its not that hard a walk really!

Sunday
    Rest - plus 35 min walk from house to Heuston and 30 min walk in Kilkenny.

Monday
    Rest

Tuesday
    Rest with stretching and foam rolling; walk to work; cycle half way home walk the rest of way.

Wednesday
    Ran 30 min - 5.36 km
    Usual walk to work and hope to cycle/walk home

I did indeed cycle/walk home yesterday

Thursday
    Not a great day for moving as I had to drive car to garage and get bus into work and then bus back to garage in evening to drive car home.
    Did get out for a 20 min run this evening though, lovely evening with people out walking dogs, playing tennis, running etc in the local park.

Ran 3.79 k in 22:15

Tomorrow should be rest running wise but stretching session in the morning and the usual walk in and out from work.

Friday
    Rest day with usual 45 min walk into work. Pub and dinner after work so no walk home - oh well! :rolleyes:

Saturday
    Easy start to the day so was evening time before went for run, did manage to time it in between heavy showers so was quite pleased with that. Have decided to make my longer runs more interesting by trying different routes - if the goal is to go far but at a slow pace then might as well be doing it somewhere with fresh views etc. This week decided on following the dodder river - really nice, highly recommend it!

Ran 7.76 km in 46:54 min

Total Week

16.91 km

Obviously that is not a huge distance but am happy with it and in the weeks to come larger numbers will appear :)

Monday
    Set out to run for 25 min this morning and did but my pace was a little all over the shop. Started grand, easyish 5:45min/km (my aim has been for shorter runs to be between 5:30 and 5:55 but had to sprint across a road to avoid a maniac driver and the extra bit of adrenaline spurred me on to do a very quick (for me) next km which had be a bit wrecked for the last section...and I am still feeling kinda tired now at lunch time, mind you that could also be a Monday thing.

Ran 4.56 km in 25:58 min

Followed by usual walk into work. If anyone is reading, does anyone else do their mid week runs before work? I find it fits in best for my schedule and I feel better running in the mornings but it can, at times, leave me fairly wrecked for the rest of the day which is not really great! I think it's probably because I go straight from running to stretching/cool down to breakfast to shower to getting dressed/make-up etc for work and then walk to work without even 10 min to sit and relax but not sure I'd manage to get up much earlier to build in 'relaxing time' as well.

Am especially concerned that it will impact as I start to include some tougher mid-week runs. The last month or two has been more about getting back to a base of being able to run regularly and not feeling like collapsing after 5 k. Now that I have managed that, I was going to look at some more variety - throw is some fartlek or tempo runs, or some strides at the end of a run etc as well as steady runs but don't want to be pooped for the day.

Advice/suggestions/tips to try welcome :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 AnnieJones

Hi, sorry, no advice as it's fair to say I'm an amatuer! I just started a new log here this morning. Our stats are similar and I ran the Viking half in 2013 in almost exactly the same time as you!! So I'll be interested in seeing how your training progresses. My next big goal is the Viking half in June too. Best of luck with it!

Thanks AnnieJones, best of luck with the training! Are you running any races before the half at the end of June?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 AnnieJones

I've a 4 mile race this week and I'm hoping to do the Waterford to Tramore 7.5 mile race on May 2nd. Will be working on extending the distance of the LSR from then til the half. Have you anything planned?

I'm doing a 5k in Dublin this Saturday and then after that will also be looking to gradually increase the lsr every week. My key aim for Viking HM is to run the whole thing, last year I had to walk on the return section of the tramore road a couple of times - it was not fun at that point! Hopefully running the entire thing will result in a faster time as well.

If I can find a 10k sometime in May that suits me I will sign up to have another practice of race atmosphere etc. But if I don't find one that suits, am not going to stress.

And best of luck in the race this weekend!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

spaceylou wrote: »
    Monday
    Set out to run for 25 min this morning and did but my pace was a little all over the shop. Started grand, easyish 5:45min/km (my aim has been for shorter runs to be between 5:30 and 5:55 but had to sprint across a road to avoid a maniac driver and the extra bit of adrenaline spurred me on to do a very quick (for me) next km which had be a bit wrecked for the last section...and I am still feeling kinda tired now at lunch time, mind you that could also be a Monday thing.

Ran 4.56 km in 25:58 min

Followed by usual walk into work. If anyone is reading, does anyone else do their mid week runs before work? I find it fits in best for my schedule and I feel better running in the mornings but it can, at times, leave me fairly wrecked for the rest of the day which is not really great! I think it's probably because I go straight from running to stretching/cool down to breakfast to shower to getting dressed/make-up etc for work and then walk to work without even 10 min to sit and relax but not sure I'd manage to get up much earlier to build in 'relaxing time' as well.

Am especially concerned that it will impact as I start to include some tougher mid-week runs. The last month or two has been more about getting back to a base of being able to run regularly and not feeling like collapsing after 5 k. Now that I have managed that, I was going to look at some more variety - throw is some fartlek or tempo runs, or some strides at the end of a run etc as well as steady runs but don't want to be pooped for the day.

Advice/suggestions/tips to try welcome :)

Do you have a shower available to you in work ? I find it good to either run into work or to run at lunchtime. That might be an alternative for you ?

Not sure about running into work, with all the stuff I would have to bring and we don't have a shower here, although I still have membership at a gym 5 min away. I might see if I can bring in enough stuff a day I am not running in preparation...

Running a lunchtime is a lovely idea but the office is slap bang in the middle of town and I have tried it a few times, using the gym showers (at trinity) BUT I find there are so many people in the way and traffic stops that I am start stop start stop start stop and don't enjoy it! If anyone has any routes starting and ending at trinity that don't have much traffic etc at lunch time, I am all ears, thanks!

I'm in town too and regularly run along the canal. You could also make your way to Herbert park. If you go straight up Nassau St & Mount St you'll hit the canal fairly quickly. Straight on will eventually bring you to Herbert Park. Think the Irishtown nature reserve isn't too far from there either but I've not gone looking for it yet !

Running home would solve the shower issue

Do you not find the canal bedlam at lunch? I've tried it before (twice to be sure) and just found that I was stopped for what felt like at age at every bridge and people were determined to walk slowly and in zigzags!

Might try heading out towards irishtown though, or as you say, running home does solve the shower/clothes issue, thanks :)

spaceylou wrote: »
    Do you not find the canal bedlam at lunch? I've tried it before (twice to be sure) and just found that I was stopped for what felt like at age at every bridge and people were determined to walk slowly and in zigzags!

Might try heading out towards irishtown though, or as you say, running home does solve the shower/clothes issue, thanks :)

I usually join the canal around Harold's Cross bridge & go towards the Drimnagh/Crumlin end & it's not too bad. Guess I'm used to it by now & it's better than not running at all.

kit3 wrote: »
    I usually join the canal around Harold's Cross bridge & go towards the Drimnagh/Crumlin end & it's not too bad. Guess I'm used to it by now & it's better than not running at all.

Oh yeah, out that far it's grand, I meant the bit closer to town by Percy Place, Baggot Street etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

I did what you are doing all last summer for Marathon training... running 2-3 times per week before work, then getting kids out the door and walking to work... it helps when it's in the summer because the mornings are bright. I did find it tiring but also found that it gave me more energy for the day... although I had to be careful to stay out of any boring meetings early afternoon... Zzzzzzzz....

I could never get my head around running to work, packing bags, etc...

but no way around it, time for yourself is non existent... for me, running is the time to myself :)

Thanks Annapr, I don't even have kids to get ready for school etc just myself, I think I'd be fine if I was getting a bus but that takes as long as walking because it doesn't go directly where I am going and you can never be sure of the time...am sure will get used to it and I definitely prefer running in the morning than the evening.

Week 13 Apr continued...

Tuesday
    Rest, with usual walk and cycle into work

Wednesday
    Type: MSR (Medium Slowish Run)

Purpose: Given that I have a race on Saturday morning and am then heading away for the rest of the weekend, wanted to try have a run that while not as long as previous lsr was at least longer (and slower) than usual mid-week stuff

Result: Ran 5.96km in 35:21 this morning, mostly at an easy slow pace although did have one bit where I was feeling good and was day dreaming and then realised I was running far too fast that far from home.

Followed by usual 45 min walk into work and will have about a 35 min walk this evening to friends after work.

Thursday
    Not a lot of movement...most of day spent coaxing dying car to garage, nct centre and home again - RIP to my little Frenchie (Peugeot)

Friday
    Rest - with walk to work (45 min) and cycle/walk home

Saturday
    Ras UCD - see next post for Race Report; ran 5k race plus about 1k between warm-up and cool down

Sunday
    Such a nice day had to go for a little run to stretch the legs. Set out to do about 15min easy on the beach and covered 2.86 km in about 17.5min

Weekly Totals

Distance Run: 19.39 km
    Time Running: 1 hour 46 min
    No of Runs: 4 including 5k race

This wasn't a big goal race, more of a time trial with a bit of practice of being in a race environment I learned three things:

1. I prefer races with a really clearly marked start line
    2. Even April sunshine can be tough going if you are not used to it - so get used to it - guess I just have to go on a sun holiday this summer :rolleyes:
    3. No matter how tempting they look, do not eat the sandwiches after a race; tummy doesn't like them even if my eyes do!

Got to UCD to pick up race number, t-shirt etc, find the start line, warm up and what not. Normally pretty easy stuff to do but with no route maps available and people talking of a route change (that could have been compared to last year, not sure) and still no signage whatsoever for start line a mere 25 min before the start - it wasn't ideal!

In any event, lined up at 10:55, thought I had hung back far enough but was hard to tell, and a lot of people seemed to join at the last minute. With such a narrow space there was a bit of jostling and I am sporting quite the bruise on my elbow today from a woman who passed me running with closed fists rather than open hands - I swear I would have let her pass if she just asked, no need for the fisty cuffs!! :D

Rough plan in my head was to target a time of 27:29:59 or less but to avoid killing myself by starting out a little slower than that pace until the crowd thinned out a bit and then seeing what energy I had to pick it up from 3k and floor it for the last k - I have no idea if that is a good plan or not but I have a habit of starting a little fast and didn't want to do that.

First km was grand, was running possibly a tiny bit faster than the plan but felt okay, apart from the elbow of course :p

Second km also fine, kept similar pace and figured I'd stick with this for a bit as I was feeling fine and then something happened me during the third km. The sun felt like I was in the sahara, my legs felt leaden and my lungs were not happy, kept feeling like I had to cough. Third k was a good bit off my target pace.

Start of the fourth k was similar, at at this stage I was thinking, I just need to finish, take it slow and steady, goal is to not stop running. This worked a little I guess and I sped up again and ran the fifth and final km in 5:03 bringing me home in 27:27 (official time) 27:29 (Garmin Time) or really bizarrely 26:2* (finish line clock time).

Few minutes of not amazing sounding breathing at the finish and after that I was more or less okay although had a bit of a cough for the rest of the day and was wrecked last night.

2015 Record:
    5 km: 27:27

Aim this week is to run 4 days again with one steady run; one long run; one speedy run and one recovery run. If this goes okay, next week I will introduce a day at the gym.

Monday

Plan was 5 km steady and pretty much did that. 5.17 km at average pace of 5:43/km. Legs felt a little leaden but nothing insurmountable.

Tuesday

Rest day with 45 min walk to work and 45 min walk return. More running tomorrow.

Wednesday

Evening run - set out to do fartlek run: 2k warm up; 2k fast and recover; 1k cool down.

Without realising it I ran the second warm-up k too fast, certainly for a warm-up. The fartlek bit was grand, although my fast bits were a lot shorter than my recovery bits and I am never sure how hard to push it for those bits, like should it be all out or just faster than easy?

Total running: 5.07 km in 29:27.8 min. Because my recovery bit was so slow in between the speedy bits - my average pace was slower than if I were just running a nice steady pace.

Thursday

Morning recovery run - less than 12 hours since last night's run so could definitely still feel that in my legs but as the aim was just to stretch out the legs, it was fine. 4.2 km in 25:09.4 at avg pace 5:59

Also took the new runners out for there inaugural voyage...really wanted to like them but have reservations. They are asics gt 2000 (older ones are gt 1000) but the guy in the shop talked me into going up a size. Just find that I am moving a bit more in the shoe but the lace is too short to do the loop at the top to prevent it! Will give them another outing early next week before I make any decisions.

next run saturday

Friday
    Planned rest with walk to work - 45min

Saturday
    Unplanned rest following night out with far far far too much wine consumed. The evil vino sapped me of all energy :o

Sunday
    10k LSR - plan was to run for 10 k, slow and easy, concentrate on keeping reasonable form, and practice drinking on the run. Pretty much did all that. Pacing is something I have a bit of a problem with, so today was slow and easy but to be honest, not a whole lot slower then some of the runs that are meant to be 'steady pace' or even with an element of speed. I guess I am not doing those fast enough - something I need to work on and concentrate a bit more in training.

Ended up doing 10.8 k in 1hour 5min

Week Total

Total KM: 25.24
    Total Time Running: 2 hours 30 min
    No of Runs: 4

Next week plan is to increase millage slightly, add in a day at the gym working on puny arms and core and put more effort into planned fartlek.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi spaceylou :) just discovered your log too! Well done on the 5k, bet you were pleased with that. I enjoyed the report, sounds like you stayed calm and collected when things started to go downhill.
    If I were you, I'd take the shoes back if you can feel your foot moving around...potential injury territory there :eek:
    I presume the reason you were recommended a size up was to allow for foot swelling during long runs? Until you're training for a marathon (?!) I wouldn't have really thought you needed a full size up. I use the GT2000s too and when I was training for the marathon last year, I alternated two pairs; one my normal size for general training and interval work and another in a size up for anything over 9 miles. Hope that helps.
    Ps well done on the lsr today after too much evil vino last night. I had a similar night and wimped out on my lsr. Now I have to do it at 7 in the morning, probably in hail or snow :mad:

• Advertisement

Thanks DG but it was Friday night was far too much wine - think it was out of my system for this mornings run! Good luck in the morning for your 7 am!

Will try the new runners once more and see how I feel about them. I am NOT training for a marathon - that is more of a 2016/2017 goal so like you say, no need for the space for foot swelling on super long runs...

Advertisement