Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Year Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Tired today, probably a mixture of yesterday's run and late(r) nights than usual - my parents are night owls!

Spent the afternoon cross training watching the european championships so it was after 6 by the time I got my arse in gear and out the door. Running is great - it stopped my yawning! Probably slightly fast for true recovery pace but felt easy throughout, passed the conversation test any time I tried it and felt better, albeit sweaty, coming home than going out. 5k at avg 6:40/km

Happy to have a rest day tomorrow.

Great what a rest day can do for you. Headed out for planned 16k this morning, being honest wasn't feeling the love but that was due to the weather rather than any lasting tiredness from earlier in the week. First few k were a little fast for LSR but in my defence the wind was really strong and was pushing me along. It felt super easy and I knew once I turned it would be a different story so didn't get stressed about it. Sure enough once I turned I had the wind either pushing in back or not featuring due to shelter and my pace slowed down. Have the watch on for these long runs but with the actual time so the only external indication of pace is when it tells me what I did the previous km in.

Lots of conversations with myself in my head along the way, once I got used to the wind and rain it was fairly enjoyable although I do find myself getting bored towards the end of these longer runs. Nothing hurts, I just feel like - 'can this just be done already'. Finished with some chocolate milk and a LHS*

Splits were: 6:30; 6:43; 6:42; 6:53; 7:01; 6:58; 6:47; 6:36; 6:51; 7:02; 7:05; 6:55; 6:58; 6:32; 6:44; 6:37; 2:37 (400m)

Total: 16.4k @ avg 6:48 - running time: 1:51:40

Now off to mind my niece for the afternoon :D

*LHS - Long Hot Shower - an essential component of the LSR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

spaceylou wrote: »
    First few k were a little fast for LSR but in my defence*

Total: 16.4k @ avg 6:48 - running time: 1:51:40

:D:D:D love it *insert excuse here

In all seriousness though well done that's a nice run under the belt. I found varying my routes each week kept my mind occupied, in face (rather sadly I'll admit.....) planning my LR route was a highlight of my week :o

Haha Firedance - okay no more excuses!

Funny what you say about planning variety on the LSR - the past two weeks have been in different cities and neither of them Dublin so I have the variety so far. I think I start to let my mind wander towards what I'm doing for the rest of the day/weekend towards the end and this is reinforced by being back in the vicinity of where I started from, which is unavoidable unless I find a nice route in the one direction and convince my OH to come collect me! I've never run much in the PP so that is where I am headed next weekend and I also want to try take in sections of the actual marathon route in the coming weeks. For me at least, knowing that I have run a section of a race before in training takes some of the horror out of it and makes it easier to visualise running happily along it.

This was a much better week than last week, although I still didn't manage any proper cross training.

M: nada (should have been cross - does housework count, muscles were aching afterwards)
    T: 5.5 easy
    W: 8 with 5 PMP - ran these 5 too fast; was fairly tired the next day - lesson learned, do what the plan says and make sure watch is programmed.
    T: 5 Recovery
    F: Rest (planned and needed)
    S: LSR - 16.4k happy
    S: 4k Rec

Totals
    Week: 39 k
    MTD: 52.3 k
    YTD: 386.6

Next Week

Continue with the boards plan including 21k LSR and mid-week hill sprints, try fit in a swim and/or pilates class (to make my gym membership worthwhile if nothing else) and make appointment for a sports massage.

• Advertisement

Yesterday should have been 8k with 5 x hill sprints but I slept out my alarm and then the evening was a no go so it didn't happen :(

BUT I did it this morning instead. Wasn't sure if the hills were meant to be part of the 8k or additional so given my unplanned rest day I erred on the side of going over rather than under, although the hills actually were only about 700m so not exactly a lot of distance.

First 5 km were nice and easy and mostly within my easy pace - okay so one of them might have been a tad fast, all felt easy though and am sure it was down a hill or something.

6th k was the one with the hills so obviously that was slower due to the recoveries - never sure I am doing these right but legs were nicely tired afterwards so hope that is a good sign.

Last 3 km were nice and easy back home.

Total running 9.07 km in just over an hour.

Tomorrow should be a rest day but seen as yesterday was an unplanned rest day, if I feel energetic I will head out for 4 - 6 k easy.

I have a routine for Saturday morning long runs and I find it works well for me but this morning I had to move it all around because of house viewings - grr! I wish we could just find one already and move onto the decorating and/or remodeling phase of things. Meant that it was after 11:30 when I started, and it was a warm day. Still haven't ventured near any gels, and just carried small water bottle with 300ml in it. Going to try find a belt I like though, could have done with a bit more water today and carrying it in my hand, have me a bit of a sore elbow.

Anyway took advantage of being in Goatstown and started by heading down to DeerPark and doing a lap of the park for old times, then down to UCD for a lap of their woodland trail - its been a few years since I graduated but geez every time I am there, something new is being built on campus - would barely recognise some of it! From there back out the Owenstown Gate and down fosters avenue, along the dueller, over the flyover and down the other side, down Nutley Lane, along merrion road, turned down Sandymount instead of continuing into town, down to the beach - fabulous!! Along the coast and managed to reach Blackrock Dart station as watched beeped 21k. Last few km were tough, I was tired and while the beach was a nice change of texture underfoot it might have tired me further than I was ready for. Nothing hurt though and I did a body check making sure to run tall, and send the wand/ball white light to ease out shoulders which were starting to feel tight and stressed.

Caught a dart back to Sandymount and got OH to come collect me with choc milk. Made the mistake of buying san pellegrino water with lemon instead of plain water in the shop - it was tasty but it didn't sit well in my tummy.

21.14km in 2 hours 26min at avg 6:57.

That average hides some km that were too fast - there were a few that were in the 6:3x range which is too fast for LSR, anytime I noticed it I slowed down.

Bit of a dip in the middle of the week but all came good by the weekend and am happy enough. Most importantly, LSR was done and I've survived another week with the body intact.

Monday: Rest (should have been cross - can't remember why it didn't happen)
    Tuesday: 5.6k easy - nothing remarkable
    Wednesday: Rest (unintended, I was wrecked - didn't even cook dinner)
    Thursday: 9k easy including 5 x hill sprints, was happy enough with this and energy levels were heading back to normal
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday: LSR - 21k Tough towards the end but mostly an enjoyable run
    Sunday: 6.6k Rec - loved this run. Went out in the evening, expecting to be sore after yesterday and the heat but was just a lovely run. Kept it nice and easy and felt like a 'real runner'. I think it was the shorts - decided it was too warm for 3/4 lengths! :cool:

Totals
    Week:42.45
    MTD: 94.78
    YTD: 429.1

Next week
    Continue with the plan including a pace run on Wednesday and the Fingal 10k on Sunday :)

Beautiful morning for running - was out at 7, already warming up, so much so I put on some sunscreen to be on the safe side! A girl could get used to this weather :D

5.6k @6:31/k avg. First k was nice and slow, legs were feeling bit leaden but as that wore off and they loosened out, and I started to think about the race on Sunday and my plan etc I sped up unintentionally. Did try slow down a few times but mind would drift and legs would speed up, was also slight downhill which probably contributed. Second half was too fast! :o

10k with 6.5 at PMP was on the plan today so that is what I did kinda... Not sure how it happened but I ran too fast :(

First km was meant to be easy and it really felt easy, legs were happy, breathing was no more unrelaxed than if I were walking, wasn't sweaty and didn't feel like I had a red face but when the watch beeped it was 6:06/km :o

Did slow down for next k but still bit faster than easy pace.

Next 6.5 were all meant to be at PMP which is about 6:15/km. They all felt comfortably uncomfortable and could have kept it up for longer (maybe not a full 42k but def a few more than I did) but again too fast!! Everytime I realised, I did slow down but they were all still between 5:35 and 5:50 :(

Final 1.5k cooldown felt like I was crawling but was actually just my easy pace and lower range at that!! I am really trying to run the right pace but finding it so hard, esp on runs that have some race pace sections.

This week maybe the extra attention to sleep, water and food in advance of fingal 10k on Sunday is contributing but think I am clutching!!

• Advertisement

Another easy run that felt easy but the stats from watch tell me was too fast! :(

Based on my 5k pb from March16 JD suggests a 4:12 marathon but I know times over shorter distances don't translate so well to marathon. Based on my HM pb from June15 JD suggests a 4:28 marathon which seems more of a realistic target for first time out although I think if I were to race a HM in the morning it would be closer to 2hrs under 2:05 anyway.

But being conservative, with the number one aim being to enjoy completing DCM16 I am using 4:30 to calculate my paces which is 6:23/km call it 6:20 to make the maths easier.

PMP: 6:20/km
    Easy: 6:45/km
    LSR: 7:00+/km
    Rec: never figured that one out so have been aiming for 7 ish/km

As the millage increases I thought it would be easier to stick to the slower paces as my legs got tired etc but instead it's getting harder. I get that I am probably a tiny bit fitter and I have lost a kg or so since training started which prob helps too but I don't want to be a slave to the watch.

Do I keep going by feel, trying very hard to concentrate on ensuring that the effort is easy when meant be easy and harder when appropriate and just recording the stats on the watch?

Or set watch to beep angrily at me when I go to fast so I am forced to slow down more?

Or revise PMP based on Sunday's race? Which in fairness could be a kick up the backside that I can't hold a pace over 10k as easily as it could show improvements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

I think reviewing things after Sunday's race is a good idea. Best of luck with it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Which plan are you doing SL is it the boards one? I think there's some PMP miles in it? If so, keep your easy pace as it is but after each race, if you're seeing improvements which I've no doubt you will, you can revise your PMP and run them at the adjusted pace in the plan but try and keep your easy pace as it is now (or as it should be :p) I know it seems easy, its supposed to seem easy though, you're giving yourself the best possible chance of having a great first marathon by sticking with the low paces as much as you can. Don't be a slave to the watch but just use the KM feedback to watch where you are. Your training is going really well, you're going to have a good marathon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow, have a great race.

tailgunner wrote: »
    I think reviewing things after Sunday's race is a good idea. Best of luck with it!
    Firedance wrote: »
    Which plan are you doing SL is it the boards one? I think there's some PMP miles in it? If so, keep your easy pace as it is but after each race, if you're seeing improvements which I've no doubt you will, you can revise your PMP and run them at the adjusted pace in the plan but try and keep your easy pace as it is now (or as it should be :p) I know it seems easy, its supposed to seem easy though, you're giving yourself the best possible chance of having a great first marathon by sticking with the low paces as much as you can. Don't be a slave to the watch but just use the KM feedback to watch where you are. Your training is going really well, you're going to have a good marathon :)
    jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, have a great race.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I've just been overthinking it. Took a break from boards and running yesterday and tried to put it all out of my head in advance of race today. Based on today's result, maybe I can revise my PMP upward towards 6:10/km but FD, will take your advice and concentrate on keeping the easy km - super easy! Also I figure I am bound to have weeks where it all seems easy and other weeks where every metre is a slog - both will happen, and both need to be dealt with - all part of the process.

Build Up and Prep

Having gotten permission from Nop and the other mentors on the novice thread to race this, I followed the revised plan this week, easy runs and threw some strides into Friday evenings run before rest on Saturday. Was quite odd not to have to get up super early to run for hours so I went viewing houses instead - give me an LSR any day! :rolleyes: Was feeling somewhat tired and stiff yesterday despite having had several good nights' sleep during the week so made sure to have nice healthy dinner and took myself off to bed around 10 again last night.

This morning, up, breakfast, coffee made and in the travel mug - all good. Left the house at 8:30 thinking that was plenty of time but between waterslides at Christchurch, airport traffic and then race traffic it was gone 9:10 before we parked the car :eek: Headed towards the start, took a wasted detour into the Pavillion looking for a loo (they were locked); found the start, stuffed half a banana in my mouth, found a loo queue but by the time I was done, was 9:40 - and still no warm up done!! :eek: Thank god it was warm. Gave all my stuff (including the water I meant to keep with me) to OH and did a super slow km shuffle followed by a tiny few drills and standing mrytle at which point the second wave was forming up. Joined in, tried to figure out where I should be, concentrated on keeping breathing easy and managing nerves. Swallowed a small fly that flew into my mouth (protein boost?) and was hanging for some water but remember, I left that with the OH cause I am a bit of a scatterhead at times. Wasn't sure how to pace this, figured that 55 was probably unrealistic but 5:xx would stay the A goal; B goal of 56:xx and C goal <57:30; anything longer, I wouldn't be happy. And we were off!

The Race
    First km the plan was to take it handy, not waste energy weaving and just get into my groove. Pretty much did this and once again experienced the jelly legs that I often get at the start of races. I guess it is to do with the adrenaline rush cause there is no way I am out of energy stores 500m into a race!! Plus it only lasts a few minutes. 6:06min

KM 2 - 4: At the roundabout got a bit more space and opened it up a bit on the by-pass. I knew from Singer's route overview that this section of the race was net downhill and plenty of room so hope was to pick up pace here and gain a few seconds so that if I slowed in the second half it wouldn't be too bad. Some kids giving high-fives at a roundabout here were great. Prob cost a few seconds to run over to them but the boost they gave me prob cancelled it out and they were so full of cheer! 5:22; 5:25; 5:30

Km 5: Turned off the by-pass onto smaller country roads here and into the carnage of the first water station. Normally I'd be okay in a 10k without water but between the humidity, the fly at the start and not having had water at the start, I decided to take some. Geez, seriously, why the plastic cups?? Stewards were trying to get ppl to take form further along tables so I happily complied but you practically have to stop to drink from them, even then I got water all over me and then there are cups all over the road! 5:56

Km 6 - 9: These all kind of blended a bit for me. Felt my pace was dropping slightly but I was still gaining more places than I was loosing. There was a woman running near me who I passed shortly after the water station, she came back, I pushed on, thought I lost her but maybe 500m later she was on my shoulder again and trying to pass me. At one stage I got slightly boxed in and she got ahead but I was determined not to let her get away so I reeled her in and passed again. There was a wee bit more back and forth but I could hear that she was suffering more than I was. Thought I'd loose her at the second water station as I wasn't stopping here and I figured she might. Sure enough she did and I lost her for a while but my detour around the firefighters and their bloody water (I will never understand how people like this) cost me a few seconds and she caught me again. Also aware of the time here and at one point I think I decided that even if I slowed to 6:00/km I'd still be okay time wise - 5:41; 5:35; 5:33; 5:43

KM 10: Knew there was a hill coming and all along I had planned to keep the effort up and if the pace dropped a little that was okay and no matter how tired I was at the top of the hill I was going to kick for home. Just at the start of the hill, that darn woman caught up again - seriously take a hint. So I upped the effort and shook her off once and for all, also managed to over take a few more. Top of hill, started extending stride a bit, and as soon as I could see the finish just went for it - reached a peak speed of 3:18/km :eek:

Crossed the line in 56:27 (chip) :)

Post-race thoughts
    1. Leave the house earlier, I much prefer being too early rather than cutting it fine like today.

2. Do not leave water behind for warm-up and avoid eating flys :eek:

3. I can run faster. It never really hurt; I never was tempted to walk; I had the energy to detour around the firefighters water; and I had a very fast kick BUT given I have not raced 10k in years and wasn't sure how to pace this I am happy with how today went even if it was a tad conservative. Now if I can find a 10k in early December I'll be going for sub 55min.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Smart pacing, L... It stood to you. And agree re. The water cups, but it helps to just stop and make sure you drink some, only costs a few seconds, so long as you can start up again of course :)

Good to see you today and thanks for the flapjack, yum!

annapr wrote: »
    Smart pacing, L... It stood to you. And agree re. The water cups, but it helps to just stop and make sure you drink some, only costs a few seconds, so long as you can start up again of course :)

Good to see you today and thanks for the flapjack, yum!

Thanks Anna - yeah am happy with the pacing and all needs to be taken in the context of training for Oct I guess.

Hey, have you seen your picture on the Airtricity SSE whatever Facebook page, crossing the finishing line?? :)

annapr wrote: »
    Hey, have you seen your picture on the Airtricity SSE whatever Facebook page, crossing the finishing line?? :)

Oh god, No - red face all over the place I imagine - eeck! :eek:

• Advertisement

spaceylou wrote: »
    Oh god, No - red face all over the place I imagine - eeck! :eek:

No, it's good, you look like you're giving it your all... It's the lead photo :)

Haha - its not so bad I guess, although I really must find the thingy to keep my sunglasses on! Also noticed, the woman I was battling with is 4 photos behind - must look up what that translates to in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Fantastic effort & good stuff for leaving that woman in your dust at the end!

mel.b wrote: »
    Fantastic effort & good stuff for leaving that woman in your dust at the end!

Thanks Mel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, Spaceylou! And in less than ideal conditions. That's some finishing speed :eek: Maybe you're on to something there with the live protein boost :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done! Sounds like you paced it well. It's always better to finish thinking you could have gone faster in my book!

Can't multi-quote on phone but thanks guys. Em BG, I'll pass on the extra protein shot in future thanks! Twas not pleasant.

Week 4 DCM Training - Round Up

Overall pretty happy with how this week went.

M: Cross - few lengths of the pool and some time in the Sauna. Unfortunately I was late and ran out of time in the pool before they divided it in two so the kiddies camp could start.
    T: 5.6k easy
    W: 10k with 6.5 at PMP (well it ended up faster, more like 10k pace)
    T: Rest
    F: 6.6k easy
    S: Rest
    S: Fingal 10k Race, Swords -see report above. Plus 1k warm up.

Plus: Mrytle x 1
    Stretches and Rehab Routine x 4

Totals
    Week: 33.45 - step down from last week as LSR was dropped in favour of race
    MTD: 128.23km
    YTD: 462.5km

Next Week
    Start the week in Dublin, finish it in The Hague. Several easy runs, and a 24k LSR on Saturday. Also intend keeping up with ancillary stuff and have a sports massage booked for Tuesday. And I really need to make sure that I finish on an even number for the end of the month total!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Great race and report! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,481 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going there L. Enjoyed the report. Well done.

Advertisement