Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Year Plan

Options
1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

spaceylou wrote: »
    Saturday 6
    Parkrun this morning, big crowd and quite a few newcomers. Finished pr in 34:06, fastest time since getting back into running. After the scanning of barcodes set off to do another 11min to bring total time running up to 45mins. Longest run since I started back and I know it's not quite the same when you have a break but happy nonetheless. In fact, I've apparently come home with a massive smile on my face after every run this week, really loving being able to run again :D Total 6.47km at avg 6:59/km avg HR 162.

I noticed in the parkrun thread that you'd done Marlay. I ran it too in a similar time. We probably ran some of it together :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Huzzah! wrote: »
    I noticed in the parkrun thread that you'd done Marlay. I ran it too in a similar time. We probably ran some of it together :)

Haha, cool. There was a guy with two kids near me for most of it, can't remember who else was about.

So that didn't go to plan!

2018 was not the best year for me generally, not just running wise. Lost a good friend, some PhD upsets, plagued by a series of niggily injuries and just generally a bit ****e.

Actually nervous about starting logging again here, not sure why, maybe in case it all goes pear shaped again. But what goes down must go up again - right? So here's to an upward 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

So that didn't go to plan!

2018 was not the best year for me generally, not just running wise. Lost a good friend, some PhD upsets, plagued by a series of niggily injuries and just generally a bit ****e.

Actually nervous about starting logging again here, not sure why, maybe in case it all goes pear shaped again. But what goes down must go up again - right? So here's to an upward 2019.

Well hello there!

Sorry to hear you had a desperate 2018. Here's to a much better 2019. All the very best.

My guiding word for 2019 is balance. I want more balance in my life between work, home, family, etc. I want to be able to balance all my various goals so that I achieve most (or even all) of them but more importantly enjoy life as I do it - we only get one. And I would very much like to be able to balance on one leg with my eyes closed without falling over.

More specifically, and running/physical body related:
    1. Consistency, consistency, consistency. I am committing to running 4 times a week.
    2. Weekly Pilates classes - they give me the strength and stability to run consistently.
    3. I am wary of chasing PBs but would like to get back to <27:30 over 5k; and <59:59 over 10k.
    4. I want to run a half marathon and am targeting the Race Series one in September.
    5. Parkrun - do more. I'd love to get my 50 t-shirt but that would mean 33 PRs which might not be possible so I shall target 20 and if I fit in more, fantastic.
    6. Loose 14kg to bring me back to a 'healthy' bmi. If there is year left after that, loose another 3-5kg to bring me back to my previous 'comfortable weight'.
    7. Log, even when nothing is going to plan.

Beyond that, in the world outside running I am technically due to finish my PhD this year although it is more likely that I am going to aim for a February 2020 submission and life is bound to keep rolling along and throwing the odd spanner in the works.

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Well hello there!

Sorry to hear you had a desperate 2018. Here's to a much better 2019. All the very best.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

I like your guiding word spaceylou, i might even steal it :o Sorry you had a difficult 2018. I hope 2019 is a lot better for you. Keeping up the logging :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Good to hear from you. :)
    Log, even when nothing is going to plan.

Always.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back. Sorry to hear of the difficulties. Good luck with the goals, especially the submission.

ariana` wrote: »
    I like your guiding word spaceylou, i might even steal it :o Sorry you had a difficult 2018. I hope 2019 is a lot better for you. Keeping up the logging :)
    Good to hear from you. :)

Always.
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Welcome back. Sorry to hear of the difficulties. Good luck with the goals, especially the submission.

Awh thanks everyone - here's to a good 2019 for all!

• Advertisement

The week didn't all go to plan but was a good week nonetheless.

Monday's very easy run was great apart from the tumble I took 20 minutes in, quite literally bounced off a lamppost on to the ground after turning to say hi to my neighbour. Few cuts and bruises which are healing nicely although my ego may never recover.

Tuesday I bottled it on the progression plan figuring I could not keep up the paces planned 20/20/20 7:30/6:30/6:00 and I re-planned on the fly during my warm up. Found it hard to stick the faster pace BUT afterwards was fine nothing hurt so was my head (plus maybe the bruises) more than anything I think holding me back - another one on the plan in week 3 so will try better.

Thursday was a bit broken up cause I took new runners for a final trial on the dreadmill but could only stick 15 minutes looking at a blacked out window so did the remaining 30 min with G in the evening.

Weekend - Saturday didn't work out, was minding my niece in the morning and then at a christening in the afternoon/evening so when I got the chance to go out on Sunday I grabbed it. Had to cut slightly short (84 minutes) or miss my lift - felt great. Longest run in ages and could have happily kept going.

Here's a summary table.

Day |Plan |Actual|Total
    Monday|45 min V Easy |45 min @7:38|6.02
    Tuesday|60 min Progression |56 min: 20@7:30; 10@7:00; 10@6:30; 10@6:00 - got there but couldn't stick the 10 minutes|8.2
    Wednesday|Pilates Class|Pilates Class|0
    Thursday|45 min Easy|15 min dreadmill + 30 min Easy|6.37
    Friday|Rest|Rest|0
    Saturday|90 min Easy|nada|0
    Sunday|Rest|11.17@7:31|11.17

Next week similar structure, moderate 45 rather than progression on Tuesday, and two pilates classes as I'll be at home for my Sunday class.

WTD: 31.76
    MTD/YTD: 38.21

Monday 14 Jan

45 min very easy was on the plan but was up late on Sunday which led to sleeping it in on Monday morning and by the time my day was done and I had a chance to go out it was almost 9pm and I just didn't fancy it, plus I wanted to run the following morning so in short, 0 km.

Tuesday 15 Jan

Plan - 45 min moderate (circa 6:30/km)
    Actual - up in time :) Figured that I wasn't supposed to go from 0-speedy in the length of my very short drive so did an easy km to warm up, next two km attempted 6:30 but it's like it is between gears for me. I can happily run 6:45-7:00 ish for quite a while, not quite forever but for a while. And when I speed up I seem to always end up around 6:00 - 6:15 which I can hang on to for a short while but not forever! Did 2km of trying to hit 6:30, but the third involved a long steep hill and this plus the smidge too fastness had me wrecked so I slowed down for hill and the rest of the km once I had gotten to the top and then did two more at the moderately fast pace followed by 6.5 minutes at easy for cool down and to bring me to 45 minutes:
    7:11; 6:06; 6:27; 7:16; 6:10; 6:01; avg pace for c/d 6:56

Rest of day was grand until I got a horrendous headache Tuesday night, took paracetamol and early night.

Wednesday 16 Jan

Plan - run 2.5k easy to pilates class, do class, home again.
    Actual - got awful dizzy and woozey feeling doing my usual morning stretches, breakfast didn't improve it so back to bed, slept till after lunch, and lounged for the rest of the day. Head improved by nightfall.

Today the plan calls for 45 minutes easy. I decided extra sleep might benefit me this morning but I am feeling okay now so if still feeling okay later, think I shall persuade G to come with me for an easy tour of the neighbourhood this evening after work.

Thursday 17 January

Sadly I did not still feel great in the evening so skipped running.

Friday 18 January

Plan was rest day, and given last few days I decided to stick with that particular part of the day.

Saturday 19 January

The plan said 90 minutes easy and the original plan was to run to parkrun, run parkrun and run home again but I figured the week I was having it would probably be better to drive to the park and just do the parkrun, so that is what I did, trying out Bushy, Dublin for the first time.

Nice course, although not sure it could cope with many more runners, the paths are quite narrow in places, but was perfect for me this morning. I didn't run it easy easy but not flat out either - completed in 33:06 officially with the final 1k the fastest - 6:50; 6:58; 6:30; 6:24; 5:59

Sunday 20 January

Pilates class in the morning

WTD: 11.96 (wish I had run that extra 400 metres somewhere)
    MTD/YTD: 50.17

Plan for next week

Thinking I ought repeat this week seen as I didn't really do most of it. Based on this the plan has: Mon - easy; Tues - moderate; Thur - easy; Saturday - easy long but I fly off on holidays on Friday :D, arriving late so don't think realistically I will be heading out early Saturday morning for a long run so was thinking of switching the plan around: Mon - long; Tues - easy; Thur - moderate; Sat - easy. Do people think that sounds okay?

Monday 21 Jan

A rejig of this weeks planned runs so that I don't have to do any long ones on holidays meant this morning kicked off with 90 minutes easy. 12.73 k @ avg pace 7:17 so pretty bang on pace on average. There were a few slower (mostly the uphill) and quicker (the downhill) but I think my plan to start with lots and lots of uphill meant that I didn't accidentally go to fast at the start and wear out my legs. Felt mostly good throughout, although left knee felt stiff toward the end.
    7:26; 7:36; 7:29; 7:27; 7:09; 7:18; 6:56; 7:18; 7:12; 7:03; 7:24; 7:25

Tuesday 22 Jan

AM: Today's plan was very easy 45 minute and I ran too fast. Kept consciously slowing down but then I'd hit a down hill bit or my mind would wander and I sped up again. Felt strong throughout even though did a long (for me) run yesterday. Still getting used to my new runners, don't have the laces just right yet.
    6.45km @ avg 7:07
    7:03; 7:05; 7:33; 7:08; 7:02; 6:58

PM: Pilates class - this one is tougher than Sunday classes, different teacher and different style even though both are technically the same level. My glutes are weak, very weak :(

Tomorrow is a rest day - think my legs will be happy.

WTD: 19.2km
    MTD/YTD: 69.4km

Well the plan fell off the rails somewhat.

January had two more runs and February had none to give me a year that looks something like this so far:

Month| KM| Pilates Classes
    January| 82.94| 4
    February| 0| 1
    March
    April
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

Finally seem to have shaken virus although very much feel as though all my fitness is gone, never to return!

Friday 1 March - Friday 15 March

Basically nada.

Saturday 16 March - Sunday 17 March

Saturday: Parkrun @ Marley - wow that was windy! Finished in 33:09 but the effort felt a lot faster - heart rate was in the maximum range for a good chunk of it.

Sunday: Hiking/Walk in Glendalough - Spinc Route. We may have been a little crazy, very windy and weather that ranged from glorious sunshine to hailstones! Lovely day out.

Monday 18 March - Sunday 24 March

Monday : Rest
    Tuesday : Pilates - lovely class
    Wednesday : Easy 30 min - did 4.5k @ avg 6:45/km - still feeling the weekend in my legs.
    Thursday : Rest
    Friday: Rest
    Saturday : Parkrun @ Tramore - much nicer conditions than last week. Walked nearly the first full km with my mum who was walking the route so quite happy to still come in at 33:02. Felt tough running but wasn't trying for an easy run.
    Sunday: Rest

Week Totals: 2 runs incl parkrun; 1 pilates class

Aim for next week - 3 runs; 1 - 2 pilates classes

The plan was derailed...

Monday 25 March - Sunday 31 March

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Set out for 35min - 5.13km in 35:06. This felt tougher than it should have.
    Wednesday: Rest
    Thursday: Aim 45mins; Actual nada! Dizzy, no energy, nausea, etc, etc.
    Friday - Sunday: Nada - still not right, no running, no pilates, much sleep, and the darn clocks are messing with my head.

Week Totals: 1 run

Aim for next week: no plan, see how I feel but in an ideal world 2 -3 runs and a pilates class

The rest of April did not see much in the way of running, continued with the dizzy issues, many tests, most of which came back grand, doctor not sure what going on but after keeping a log it seems that if I get enough sleep, and ensure that I am not late for any meals or snacks I'm okay most of the time.

So did start to build back up some running and pilates classes. Not a lot of running but I did enjoy most of it so that is something :)

Total for month: 5 runs and 1 pilates class

Month|KM|Pilates Classes
    January |89.94|4
    February|0|1
    March|19.6|1
    April|23.44|1
    May
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

May involved a bit more consistency thankfully.

Monday 29 Apr - Sunday 5 May

Monday: 30 min easy - 4.5km @ avg 6:52min/km
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: 30 min easy with some strides toward the end - 4.6km @ avg 07:00min/km on the speedy bits was hitting 3:30 but couldn't have maintained it
    Thursday: 30 min easy - 4.3km @ avg. 6:59min/km
    Saturday: Parkrun @ Corkagh - lovely course although got a bit lost at the start and then had to stop in the first km for the loo...time: 35:15
    Sunday: Rest

Totals: 18.67km; 4 runs incl. 1 parkrun

Monday 6 May - Sunday 12 May

Monday: Easy 45 min @ avg. 7:04min/km
    Tuesday: Pilates
    Wednesday: 30 min with strides @ avg. 7:02min/km hitting between 3:45 and 4:00 on the speedy bits
    Thursday: Rest
    Saturday: Rest
    Sunday: Terenure 5 mile Race - see report below

Totals: 3 Runs incl. Race & 1 pilates class

Monday 13 May - Sunday 19 May

Monday: Easy 40 min @ avg. 7:07min/km
    Tuesday: Rest
    Wednesday: Easy 30 min @avg. 6:41min/km
    Thursday - Sunday: Rest - at conference and just didn't find the time.

Totals: 2 runs

Monday 20 May - Sunday 26 May

Monday: Rest
    Tuesday: Pilates Class
    Wednesday: Easy 35 min @ avg. 6:54min/km
    Thursday: Easy 30 min @ avg. 6:56min/km
    Friday - Sunday: Rest

Totals: 2 runs, 1 pilates class

Monday 27 May - Sunday 2 June

Monday: Easy 45 min @ avg. 7:13min/km
    Tuesday: Pilates
    Wednesday: 30 min easy with strides @ avg. 6:41 min/km
    Thursday: Rest
    Saturday: Bushy parkrun @ avg. 6:21min/km Ran it as a sort of tempo run - 31:38 Enjoyed and fastest parkrun this year.
    Sunday: LSR 60 min @ avg. 7:25min/km with himself. Felt grand on the run, had water with me and enjoyed it but totally hit a wall when I got home - dizzy and quesy. Think I didn't eat quick enough or maybe enough before. Ended up napping for about 2 hours after I did eat lunch.

Totals: 4 runs incl. parkrun, 1 pilates

• Advertisement

Pre-race: arrived in plenty of time with himself in tow for his first race ever; found the Sanctuary Runners gang including the lovely AnnaPR from these parts, got my t-shirt and said all the hellos etc.

Neither G nor me were really sure what we were capable of doing so we decided to start out with the 55min pacer.

KM 1 - KM4: These felt okay and pace was nice and steady although I didn't love that drag up from the KCR. Said hello to some other SR that were walking as I passed them and G deserted me somewhere around there as well.

KM 5 - 8.18: At 4km mark I moved closer to the pacer and was pretty much on her shoulder for the next km, once we hit 5k I pushed on as planned although that drag the second time did slow me a little in the 7th km; finished strong with a final push in the last km, passing far more than passed me and across the line with a finishing (chip) time of 52:48

Splits: 6:29; 6:42; 6:42; 6:42; 6:37; 6:25; 6:32; 6:15

Post-race: Once I caught my breath and got some water I was good. I don't think I could have run that final few 100 metres much faster, not built for sprinting, but with a little more training and a bit more confidence I think I could have run a faster average pace and maybe gotten south of 50 minutes. Overall I was happy with the efforts though as it was 2 and a half years since I raced anything.

Time for the monthly summary table

Month|KM|Pilates Classes
    January| 89.94| 4
    February| 0| 1
    March| 19.6| 1
    April| 23.44| 1
    May| 66.52| 3
    June
    July
    August
    September
    October
    November
    December

The goal for this month is to remain consistent, ideally running 5 days a week with one pilates class and maybe introduce some strength work in the gym.

Week Monday 3 June - Sunday 9 June

Monday: Rest - after the bad reaction to a 60min LSR the day before I thought this best
    Tuesday: Pilates class - new instructor for the summer and must say I much prefer her. Can definately feel it in my abs and arms afterwards.
    Wednesday: Plan - run with strides but forgot my running gear going to work and then in the evening I just didn't get out.
    Thursday: Plan - easy 30 min but slept late and was due to go away for birthday treat so never made it out. Did have a lovely massage in spa though.
    Friday: Rest - although did about 15 laps in the hotel pool. Haven't been swimming in ages!
    Saturday: Tramore parkrun, unintentioanlly ran this as a progression run, finished in 30:17, fastest time this year - aim to get back under 30 min before the end of the summer.
    Sunday: 75 min LSR @ avg. 7:11min/km Ran this is Waterford with G, rather enjoyable although we probably ran this a little fast at the start. Had only intended 60 minutes but we misjudged the distance and added a bit but no ill-effects and no hitting walls like last week

Totals: 2 runs incl LSR and 1 pilates class.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Glad to see the updates L. You seem to have the right approach, building back up slowly. Best of luck :)

The past few months have been up and down.

My dodgy back flared up in July resulting in a week of nothing but lieing on the floor, very slow, very short walks and frequent physio visits followed by many more weeks of trying to get back to where I had been.

The infamous PhD pounds are piling on :eek: and while I ran my fastest parkrun this year last Saturday (30:13, thank you Marlay Park Pacers), today my back is not happy and I'm having to be very careful - definately no running for a few days.

The next few months are likely to be hectic: I'm writing up PhD with a view to having a decent final draft for supervisors sometime in February but I'll also have a full teaching load from 1st February because I thought I would have it submitted by then. And then there is regular life stuff cause contrary to what it sometimes feels like - world does not revolve around writing PhD :D:D

So, (and here's the running bit) running, moving and a healthy diet are essential so that I loose some of the weight, get some me time, and survive PhD and hectic semester. I am never going to be the fastest runner out there but I love the buzz from running and the people I meet at running events and the way that being fit can make other parts of life easier too.

I log my writing and have a writing accountability group (nerdy I know) but it works so I'm going to start logging here again and hopefully it will help. Also going to lay out some goals, mostly they are SMART but there is one sort of intangible which is hard to measure but is very important to me.

Medium - Long Term Goals
    • Dublin Marathon in approx 4:30 (Good - <5hrs; Better <4:40; Best <4:20) Have entered lottery for 2020
    • Weight: <65kg
    • 5k pb<24:59.9
    • Feel strong and capable in my body

December Goals
    • Run/Walk min 3 times a week (walking if back is still not happy)
    • Build easy runs up from 35 min to 45 mins gradually
    • Drink avg. 2litres water/day
    • Eat at least 5 fruit/veg portions/day
    • Do not put on christmas kgs to go with the PhD kgs :D
    • Parkrun <30min 28th Dec (subject to back being happy)
    • Log weekly progress here

Advertisement