Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Year Plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

W/b Monday 27 April

Plan this week is 4 runs including 1 lsr, 1 farlek, 1 'steady' & 1 recovery with at least one session of core work and probably some hill walking/long walks at the weekend.

Monday
    Looking back over my log yesterday I decided that my times are all fairly flat which must mean I am not working hard enough on the runs that are meant to be harder. With this in mind I set out this morning to do a 5k 'steady' run. Now I am not actually sure what that means - different people seem to say different things so the interpretation I was going with was - a pace that is not super difficult and can be maintained for the distance planned plus maybe another k or 2 but not so easy that you could run at this pace for much longer.

So that was my plan setting out, except that feeling the pace is something I need to work on and I ended up doing a weird constantly accelerating run. Splits looked something like this:

5:41; 5:30; 5:23; 5:18 :eek: and then I really was feeling it so slowed to 5:34 for final k.

So I met the goal of working harder but this was not a 'steady' run.

Total: 5.06

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

chalk it up as a progression run instead! :)

I'm sure someone has told you already, but McMillan can help you calculate a range for your training paces at various speeds... recovery, tempo, etc. (http://mcmillanrunning.com)

Thanks Anna, just wondering on McMillan - do you need a subscription to get the training pace ranges or I am doing something wrong? It is just giving me what my average pace would need to be for my HM Goal and what it is for my 5k based on last week's race.

spaceylou wrote: »
    Thanks Anna, just wondering on McMillan - do you need a subscription to get the training pace ranges or I am doing something wrong? It is just giving me what my average pace would need to be for my HM Goal and what it is for my 5k based on last week's race.

you should see a menu on the left hand side after you do that which says 'training paces' and that will give you a range... there's also an option to change from mi/km, whichever you prefer. and you can download as a pdf for future reference!

I HAVE A BLISTER :eek:

Which normally wouldn't induce that kind of reaction but I only realised I had blister last night so am unsure if the blister is from the shoes I wore in work, the shoes I wore walking to/from work or my new runners which I wore for my progression run in the AM! :confused:

Log wise...

Monday PM

Stretching with few exercises previously assigned by physio for core

Tuesday

Easy stretching this morning - nothing else planned, rest day

• Advertisement

Wednesday

Unscheduled rest day. Tuesday's are always mental and don't get home until after 10 so generally am going to be tired on Wednesday but yesterday was a new level of tiredness. Despite extra coffee spent the day zombie like and in bed by 9.30! No stretching either :eek:

Thursday
    Still tired this morning but not as bad. Plan had been 5k fartlek yesterday and 5k recovery today but seen as I did progression run of sorts on Monday today opted for a 6k steady run using JD training pace based on vDot from race few weeks ago. I might have pinched that idea from Dubgal's log :rolleyes:

In any event the pace was fine but my new runners are definitely going to be a source of pain if I do not bring them back. Laced one way, far too loose, laced tight to stop that movement and so tight on other part of foot that felt like circulation was being cut off...could feel it effecting my stride and stance, in the end, cut the final k off and came home to stretch it all out - to Runzone with me tomorrow!

Friday

Back to the lovely people at Runzone in Rathgar this morning and despite me having run on the road in the runners he very kindly took them back and gave me a pair in the right* size.

OH was with me so he took the new runners home while I ran home (in another pair). Only 2.2k but adding to the total millage for the week and sometimes its nice to just run home from somewhere cause its faster than walking :D

*Poor guy still dubious that it is the right size, he reckons its too small but I've always worn this size without any black toes, blisters or other foot issues.

Saturday

In the 'sunny south east' for the weekend - clearly false advertising! Woke up yesterday to awful rain, the type that just kept coming with no let up...went out anyway. Plan was 12k nice and slow and easy with emphasis on easy and the distance rather than on any semblance of speed. Was soaked through after about 100m and took about a km to warm up...pace was fairly steady, and in the easy range except for two km that had significant steep downhill in them where it was easier to just go with gravity.

Towards the end, I added a loop which I thought was 1k but turned out to be 2k so run was actually 14.1k in 1 hour 26 min. Longest run in about 8 months but felt fairly okay once I had a hot shower and got some chocolate milk into me.

Sunday

Back has been slightly stiff and achy the last few days but nothing too bad and has actually been fine when running....until today I bent down to pick up a sock and the stabbing pain went though me like a knife. Am doped up on ibuprofen with anti-inflammatory gel and hot water bottle but not loving this, not one bit at all!

Back to Dublin tomorrow, hopefully get an appointment with my physio on Tuesday and I swear from now on - core work does not get neglected for anything! If I do not do my core, I do not run :(

Total for Week

26.53 km
    2 hours 35 min running time

W/B 4 May

No running so far...back is still in a heap, although not as bad as it was on Sunday/Monday. I am no longer setting the alarm so that I can take the next dose of painkillers the moment the 4 hours since the last ones runs out!! :eek:

Also have more mobility than I did at the start of the week - I suppose I have gone from being in agony and not able to move to discomfort and not as much movement as I ought to have. Physio first thing in the morning so hopefully she will sort me out...have a funny feeling she will 'suggest' I don't race Terenue 5 mile though :( and I have promised the OH I will be sensible so I have to listen to the advice!

Physio says.....no running, swimming, hiking, gym for at least a week (she probably means longer but knows who she is dealing with). I can gently stretch and stroll... :rolleyes:

In saying all that, I do feel better than previous days and physio session this morning definitely helped - must stay positive!

• Advertisement

No more picking up socks! Hope your back gets better soon, not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Ouch ouch ouch :( hope you're better soon! Sounds like your physio 'gets it', is she a runner herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

If I do not do my core, I do not run :(

This should be my mantra too :rolleyes:. I'm sorry to hear about your back, sounds like your physio knows her stuff so hopefully you'll be back in action soon.

annapr wrote: »
    No more picking up socks! Hope your back gets better soon, not fun.

Thanks Anna - clothes can stay on the floor from now on - who needs a tidy house! Haha
    Dubgal72 wrote: »
    Ouch ouch ouch :( hope you're better soon! Sounds like your physio 'gets it', is she a runner herself?

My physio is great, don't think she runs but she gets the whole liking an active lifestyle thing.
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    This should be my mantra too :rolleyes:. I'm sorry to hear about your back, sounds like your physio knows her stuff so hopefully you'll be back in action soon.

Oh she does - I had a much worse issue several years ago now and she had got me back to a state where 95 per cent of the time I can do what I want and really its my own fault for neglecting my core!

Actually BG I think I 'stole' that mantra from your log! :P Hope you are feeling better as well

PS - very pleased that I figured out this multi-quote thingy :D

Week ending 10 May

Total miles: 0 :(

Back still very stiff but my strolls are getting longer without any adverse effects and I am working through stretching routine at least once a day - aiming for twice a day. Muscles are aching rather than in pain most of the time which I guess is also good sign - just wish it would all hurry up!

Week Beginning 11 May

Walked the whole way to work today although it took a bit longer than my usual 40 - 45 mins and I did stop and sit on a bench for about five minutes half way - not because of pain but more I could feel my back getting tired and I thought it better not to push it too much. Not feeling any ill effects but think I will public transport it home this evening to be on the safe side...maybe if I stay sensible I'll be able to go for a little jog by the weekend :rolleyes:

Physio Update

She says no running for another week :( BUT I am now allowed to walk rather than stroll, swim, short cycle and pilates...so not all bad I guess.

Have been sticking to my stretching routine religiously all week morning and evening and it really is helping me get better quicker I think so gonna stick with that and keep building up on my walking - might dust off the pedometer to chart. :D

Week Beginning 18 May

Still no running :( but feeling a lot less like I might fall apart if I move. Twice daily stretching with few strengthening moves from physio continues which is helping greatly. Skipped it yesterday cause other stuff got in the way and I really noticed it this morning so no more skipping stretching - I'll get away with some days just being once but not zero.

Have also been increasing the walking and in a very OCD manner am tracking it on pedometer. Average around 15000 steps a day past few days but found Saturday difficult as it was almost all continuous whereas other days it was walk somewhere, have long rest (sitting in work; eating meal; chilling at home etc) before the next walking bit - guess need to build up endurance!

Swimming later - not going to be a workout really, just do a few lengths of back stroke and stretch, see how I feel. Pilates tomorrow. All going well, will go for a super easy run at the weekend.

Tuesday 19 May

Swim yesterday was fine - 200 m (I am not a strong swimmer at the best of times so for me this was a bit) all backstroke upon physio's recommendation - by the end my arms were wrecked, bits of legs were feeling it but happily my back was grand. Did a few stretches as well, and pondered the merits of aqua running and put it on the 'to google' list.

Lasted about 2 min in sauna as I tried to remember why it was good for you before giving up and leaving.

Lunchtime Pilates class today - some moves I was grand in, felt strong etc - others I am laughably weak. Gonna be sore tomorrow but once more, happy to report it will be my tummy and my arms that are sore - back is feeling AOK.

Yesterday did over 10,000 steps and on course to do about 12,000 today.

Physio in the morning - fingers crossed she gives the go ahead for an easy run at the weekend :o

PS: While none of this is with the sole aim to loose weight, I have felt the last few months that I needed to shed a few kg and had decided at the start of May to stop thinking about it and actually make an effort - thought injury would scupper my plans but happy to report I am a whole 1.6 kg lighter than I was this time last week :D Just another 1.5 kg and I hit the magic <70 kg and buy some lovely new jeans as a reward. :D

good luck with the physio and the weight target! losing weight has to help your back too I'm sure.

• Advertisement

Thanks Anna, not sure I am talking about enough weight to make a huge impact on my back - more that I can feel in my clothes and in my skin that I feel a bit 'more' than I used it and I don't like it. 60 - 65 kg would be ideal for me I think so not a massive amount to go

Thanks Anna, not sure I am talking about enough weight to make a huge impact on my back - more that I can feel in my clothes and in my skin that I feel a bit 'more' than I used it and I don't like it. 60 - 65 kg would be ideal for me I think so not a massive amount to go

yeah, sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you needed to lose a whole lot of weight, just to be clear :p ...and I know how you feel about that!

but with back issues, the less you are carrying the better, i think...

annapr wrote: »
    yeah, sorry, I wasn't suggesting that you needed to lose a whole lot of weight, just to be clear :p ...and I know how you feel about that!

but with back issues, the less you are carrying the better, i think...

Haha - you calling me fat??!! :p Geez, ya don't even know what I look like in real life...:D :D

Don't worry I didn't think that you were suggesting I need to loose loads and I guess you are right, even a few kilo probably make a difference. I wouldn't like to be carrying a bag of porridge around all day and that is only 2 kg

Physio update

I am allowed to run...woohoo :P

But only if I attend regular Pilates classes, work on strengthening the muscles that running doesn't target and make stretching my new religion! With this in mind I was thinking the following plan:

Tomorrow - swim
    Friday - Pilates
    Saturday - easy run, see how it feels, walk or stop if needed, max 30 min

I still really want to complete the HM in Waterford at the end of June but my aim is now just to run the whole thing, no matter how long it takes me. Don't think I've lost too much fitness over past few weeks (not sure there was much there to begin with) so all going well I will gradually, very gradually increase time running over the coming weeks maybe working in a three day cycle keeping all the runs easy for about 2 weeks...something like:

Day 1-2: no running
    Day 3: run 30 min
    Day 4-5: no running
    Day 6: run 30 - 40 min
    Day 7-8: no running
    Day 9: run 40 min
    Day 10-11: no running
    Day 12: run 30 min
    Day 13-14: no running
    Day 15: Run 45 min

And after that shift back to week overview aiming for 3 runs a week, maybe 4 as I get stronger, gradually increasing distance so that I get over the line in Waterford on 27 June!

Thursday 21 May

Usual walk/cycle (thank you Dublin Bikes) to work this morning; lunchtime swim, 250 m all backstroke and will be walking/cycling home this evening. Obviously 250 m is not a long distance but for me its not bad going and it is an increase of 50 m since Monday and I took less breaks between lengths. I also felt much stronger today than at the start of the week :D

Pilates tomorrow and will be ready to try this running lark again on Saturday...which is making me oddly nervous. :o

Friday 22 - a day that will hopefully go down in history!

Up bright and early this morning to vote followed by stretching (my new religion) usual walk to work and pilates at lunchtime. Has started wearing a pedometer while not running to check if I was definitely getting in the 10000 min steps recommended everyday. Right now I am at 10725 and I still have to walk home which has been pretty typical so think I am okay...

Running starts again tomorrow - stupidly nervous with crazy thoughts going through my head that I will hurt myself and be side lined again for months which if I am sensible isn't going to happen but my mind does wander to dark places sometimes :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

The nerves are good because they'll remind you to take is easy, keep it slow & steady for your first day back & good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

You might consider a walk/jog method for the first while ? Doesn't take long to build up and is a safer way of returning to running after a lay off/injury. Softer surfaces (grass/trail) will be much better for your back too! Enjoy the comeback :)

Thanks you guys...
    Firedance wrote: »
    The nerves are good because they'll remind you to take is easy, keep it slow & steady for your first day back & good luck :)

True Firedance and I know I am being highly illogical!
    Bungy Girl wrote: »
    You might consider a walk/jog method for the first while ? Doesn't take long to build up and is a safer way of returning to running after a lay off/injury. Softer surfaces (grass/trail) will be much better for your back too! Enjoy the comeback :)

Yes, I was thinking of heading to the local park so that I can run on the grass there rather than roads/footpaths and will be going super slow and easy

• Advertisement

Saturday morning, first run since I banjaxed back - took it slow and easy to the local park, two laps and home again running on grass wherever possible. Boy oh boy I was so slow....30 min running and did 4.6 km but happy to report no ill effects.

Sunday no running but was out for a bit of a walk with my mum in the deise...there really are some lovely spots in Co Waterford! Although, I was thinking as we strolled - this would be a lovely running route! Haha.

Week ending 24 May

4.6 km

Advertisement