Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Four Year Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Thursday 10 March

Sitting at desk all day yesterday did nothing for stiff/tight/sore (not sure how to describe it) arse.

This morning, far too 'caught' to run so did some stretching, my back rehab exercises, foam rolling and tennis ball. Then woke the OH to enlist the use of his elbow.

Love is...waking up OH to ask him to elbow the knots in your gluts (and him agreeing). Def helped get spots tennis ball wasn't hitting.

Drive to office didn't help though and I am trying to stay mobile today, with as much moving as possible. About to go to 3 hours software training though so not sure how that will go this afternoon. Swim planned this evening - hopefully stretching out in the water will also help.

Input Request:

Running the Clane AC 5k on Sunday week (ie 10 days away). I missed this week's speedy session. Rest of this week is easy run today or tomorrow; long run Saturday. Next week the plan was a mini taper with a fartlek run on Monday and then easy running wed, thur and sat. Race Sunday

Do I A - stick with the plan or B do the intervals on Monday instead of fartlek? And if I do B - should I shorten long run this weekend? Although my 'long runs' are not mad long, just long for me at the moment.

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

spaceylou wrote: »
    Thursday 10 March
    Input Request:

Running the Clane AC 5k on Sunday week (ie 10 days away). I missed this week's speedy session. Rest of this week is easy run today or tomorrow; long run Saturday. Next week the plan was a mini taper with a fartlek run on Monday and then easy running wed, thur and sat. Race Sunday

Do I A - stick with the plan or B do the intervals on Monday instead of fartlek? And if I do B - should I shorten long run this weekend? Although my 'long runs' are not mad long, just long for me at the moment.

thanks

Do A, stick with the plan. A missed session now wont affect your race Sunday week. If its possible could you do the speedy session today, rest tomorrow and long run on Saturday?
    With regards to training plans you dont have to follow them to the letter, you can change days around to suit yourself but remember to always follow a hard
    session with an easy day or a rest day. Best of luck in Clane I have signed up for it too.

Week Beginning 7 Mar: round up

A little better than last week but still not great - but at least getting back on the same track.

Monday
    Rest (unplanned) - exhaustion hit again - must remember to sleep more!

Tuesday
    Rest (planned)

Wednesday
    Plan suggested intervals but given the lack of running, thought it would be wiser to try an easy run first. All good till last 1k when left gluts decided to seize up! :(
    Total:7.07

Thursday
    Easy run planned but never happened - gluts still very knotty

Friday
    Rest (planned)

Saturday
    Wiped out following a few alcoholic beverages on Friday night.

Sunday
    Plan was LSR. OH expressed an interest in running again so started with next day of his C25K project - 3.5 km and then when he went home, I continued on...for another 7k. Had hoped and planned to do more but once again after about 6/6.5 my left glut seized up again. Decided to play it safe, and stop early. Walking it out did help a wee bit but there will be a lot of foam rolling this week I think.

Project strong and stretchy
    Pilates 0/1 -
    Morning stretches 6/7
    Back rehab exercises 6/7
    JD Challenge 0/7 - not sure I can be bothered going back to this
    Swim 0/2 - next week...

Totals:
    Week - 17.73 km (10.03 last week)
    Month - 27.76 km
    YtD - 174 km

Next week...

Clane AC 5k Race is next Sunday. This week will have some running, and a lot of foam-rolling to ease out the gluts which will hopefully play ball on race day. My current 5k time is 28:23 but this is a bit soft so I would really like to run this in <27:30. Have never been here before so not familiar with the course but from what I can glean online it seems to be a relatively flat with maybe a little bit of a drag on the final stretch. If I have time during the week I might drive over from work and do a proper reccy.

Page 4! Oh log, sorry to have neglected you, just been a busy week...but anyway...race report time.

Race Prep

Gluts have been a bit dodgy for the last 10 days or so, lots of foam rolling this week, although they held up very well for strides on Wednesday. Thursday walked 25km (as you do) which may not have been the best race prep but we do the harbour to harbour every year!

This morning - usual morning stretchy routine, some porridge and coffee, drive to Clane. On the way, realised I had forgotten my watch :eek: I have never run a race without a watch but reassured myself all would be okay as there was pacers for my target time (27:30) so once I kept them in my sight, I wouldn't be too far off. By the time we got to Clongowes at 9:55 I was in dire need of a loo and a little concerned when I saw the queues for both loo and race numbers that an hour might not be enough time pre-race. Luckily once I'd cleared one queue the other had also dissipated.

Easy run of about 2 k for warm up followed by some drills and stretches before another trip to the loo, final striping of extra layers and handing over phone etc to the OH. Made my way to start line, found pacers, concentrated on running through race plan, keeping breathing relaxed but could feel adrenaline increasing my heart rate. Target was 27:30, most recent 5k was 28:23 and my PB from MetroSB 5k back in 2014 is 26:37.

KM 1

Tight start, avoided weaving, kept pacers in sight although because of the crowd they were a little bit a head. About 300, 400 meters in, got the most horrendous sensation of jelly legs, nausea and general weariness. Maybe I should have eaten something small between porridge and race but wasn't hungry or maybe it was just the aftermath of initial adrenaline. Had visions of myself having to drop out and being brought back to the start in tears - decided that was only happening if jelly legs made me fall! Luckily this didn't happen and it passed.

KM 2

Caught up to pacers at start of this as the field thinned. Had a quick word, although I don't like chatting while racing - waste of energy. We were doing 5:27 min/km...I felt good and moved slightly ahead of them, although still very much with them and could hear them chatting and offering encouragement to those they were pacing. This KM flew in.

KM 3

More of the same, don't remember a whole lot about this one. Stayed just ahead of the pacers, felt strong, jelly legs definitely well gone.

KM 4

Slightly tougher but then again I did move away from the pacers so I guess I upped the pace. There was an awful stench of cow dung either around now or at the end of the last km - enough to put you off country running! Coming towards the end of this km I was starting to feel it and was delighted to see the 4k marker. Around here a guy passed me whose phone was talking to him - according to his phone we were at 21:??

KM 5

Oh man this was tough. First wee bit of this km is on a tiny country road before briefly turning back on to a 'main' road and then turning back into the grounds of Clongowes for a straight run up the avenue for final 5 - 600 m. Plan was once I hit the avenue to just give it everything I had. Upped the pace again once on the straight, passed a few, felt myself starting to slow, got passed by a group running together that looked super fresh, was really tough but kept trying to dig harder, thought about the video of Joe Gough this week at the 800m in Oregon as he fell over the final line. Used to be friends with his daughter in school so have met the man a number of times, decided I could be as stubborn as him, dug deeper passed someone else, could hear someone on my shoulder but I do not look back, caught a glimpse of the clock and it said 26:?? couldn't see the second half but in case it was in the 50s I pushed again a bit more to make sure I got in under 27...didn't fall over the line but certainly couldn't have run much further and couldn't speak for a fair few minutes.

Was delighted to know I had completed in <27 min...

Post Race

Caught my breath, got water etc, found OH, chatted with a few folk I know, stretched a little, changed t-shirt added many layers, came home, shower, went for lunch. Back home checked online for offical time....:eek: 26:34 :D:D:D:D New PB So happy - I LOVE RUNNING

jake1970 wrote: »
    Best of luck in Clane I have signed up for it too.

Just realised you were running in Clane this morning as well - hope it went well and sorry I didn't reply sooner to try and ensure a boardsie 'hello'

Week Beginning 14 Mar: round up

Not great millage this week but a new PB so can't (and won't) complain :D

Monday
    Rest (unplanned) - I can't remember why - probably busy.

Tuesday
    Rest (planned)

Wednesday
    Easy run in the plan so I did 6km with some strides at the end to keep legs sharp. Never sure if I am doing these right. Eased into them and ran at about 80 per cent for a count of 15 then eased off until breathing more or less back to normal repeat x 3
    Total:6.14

Thursday
    No running but did do the annual Harbour to Harbour, this time from Dun Laoghaire - Howth. 25 km mostly along the coast. Think I prefer the south side, more variety - that stretch from clontarf out to sutton just gets monotonous. Might be good to run, you'd cover it in less time - haha! St Anne's park was looking lovely, I must find an excuse to do a parkrun or something over there.

Friday
    Wanted easy run to ensure legs didn't stiffen up after yesterday. Went out with OH on his C25K - 4km stop and start although the walking segments are now equal to the running segments.

Saturday
    Rest (planned). Was very odd to have a Saturday where I wasn't doing my LSR so I went runner shopping instead. Oh my lord, the staff in amphibian king are amazing. Aside from being helpful they are just so patient. I was in there for about an hour, running up and down the hall section in a few different pairs, trying to find the ones for me. Came away with a lovely new pair of Mizuno Wave Inspire 12. They fit great, are soft around my foot, and a lovely shade of purple. Monday they will have their treadmill debut.

Sunday
    Race in Clane - 5k see race report above. NEW PB - VERY HAPPY :D

Pilates 0/1 -
    Morning stretches 7/7
    Back rehab exercises 7/7
    Swim 0/2 - next week...

Totals:
    Week - 16.94 km (17.73 last week)
    Month - 44.7 km
    YtD - 191 km

Next week...

Toying with the idea of heading north side for the paced mile on Wednesday but will probably wait until Wednesday to make a decision. Other than that, want to find another race to target. Ultimately this year I want to run the Dublin City Marathon so want to increase my weekly millage to a more consistent 30 - 35k every week before the boards plan starts and I am also off to Portugal for two weeks of walking for the first two weeks of June. This week I shall run, devise a plan and break in the new runners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Back home checked online for offical time....:eek: 26:34 :D:D:D:D New PB So happy - I LOVE RUNNING

Congrats on the PB!! love the I love running bit :pac: pb's rock!

Firedance wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB!! love the I love running bit :pac: pb's rock!

Thanks FD, I was already happy to be under 27 min and well ahead of target time, really didn't think I was back to previous PB fitness so very much thrilled with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Nicely done on the PB Spaceylou! If you do go to the paced mile on Weds make sure to go with the right pacers ;). Not going to make it myself this time unfortunately.

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    If you do go to the paced mile on Weds make sure to go with the right pacers ;)

Haha - was thinking that myself! Although, not sure yet if I will go.

• Advertisement

Monday
    After a few false starts to adjust the lacing, the mizunos have passed the thread mill test. How do people stick these machines? Was the longest 30 min in a long time! Anyway, it was done - dreadmill I will be back if it snows or when I get a new pair of runners. Legs felt fairly okay, tired but nothing bad.

Seen as I was in the building, ducked into the pool for a few lengths of relaxing backstroke - 300 m. Tired now, early night I think!

Awful news from Brussels this morning, lived there for a short while Brussels so know the airport and the city well. Thankfully it seems that friends and former colleagues are all okay but just horrible to think of such violence!

No running today, but project stretchy continues and did 45 min strength work this morning. Thinking I might skip the paced mile tomorrow evening. Am out later this evening and again Thursday night for wine and tapas and tis meant to be a recovery week of sorts after Sunday's race :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Just realised you were running in Clane this morning as well - hope it went well and sorry I didn't reply sooner to try and ensure a boardsie 'hello'

Congrats on the PB spaceylou.
    I finished in 19:44 not a PB but happy with that.

jake1970 wrote: »
    Congrats on the PB spaceylou.
    I finished in 19:44 not a PB but happy with that.

Great, well done. One day (in the far future) I'll also go sub 20 in a 5k!!

Week Beginning 21 Mar: round up

Barely ran this week but wasn't sitting on the couch either!

Monday
    Dreadmill run to test out the new runners. New runners are a go for outdoors, and once again confirmed I hate running in the gym. Feel like a hamster on a wheel or something! Also swam.

Tuesday
    Rest (planned) and some strengthening training.

Wednesday
    Plan out the window - not sure if I fighting off a virus or something or just need more than 8 hours sleep a night but I was so tired and my eyes were so sore, and nicely bloodshot that OH actually got the train out to Maynooth to pick me and car up. Early night.

Thursday
    In a bid to ward off the lurgy I stayed in bed for much of the day and only logged on to my computer to submit an abstract before a deadline for a conference - 1 hour tops! Felt much better by the evening although eyes still delicate

Friday
    We took advantage of the long weekend to get some walking done in prep for Camino in June. Lovely route from D6 - Dodder - Liffey - Coast - South Wall - return via Canal instead of Dodder: total 29km

Saturday
    Walking again. D6 - Pearse Station (train to Maynooth) then walked from Maynooth along the Royal Canal to Castleknock where we left the canal for the PP. Through the PP and home via St James, Rialto etc. - total 33km

Canal is pretty boring I think - so flat and straight. I mean pleasant the odd time but not sure I'd like to be walking or running along here all the time.

Sunday
    Contemplated running but by the time I was home from the parade, I was tired, it was raining and I decided to have a rest.

Pilates 0/1 :(
    Morning stretches 5/7
    Back rehab exercises 5/7
    Swim 1/2
    Strengthening Routine 1/2

Totals:
    Week - 4.4 km (16.94 last week)
    Month - 49.1 km
    YtD - 195.4 km

New Plan
    Last week I said part of the goal for the week was to find a new plan. Decided that I will continue targeting 5k for 6 weeks. Generally weeks looking like 4/5 runs a week including 1 x speedy work; 1 x lsr; alternate short hills and hilly run; rest of runs easy. As I was also preparing to walk approx 30k a day for 13 days at the start of June I am going to also be doing a long walk most weeks. The weeks I do - 4 runs, the weeks I don't I do an extra run.

Target Race - Tallaght AC 5k which reminds me I ought to sign up. All going well, I hope to take another few seconds off my PB.

After that, I was thinking of 2 weeks of keeping legs ticking over and then doing the Terenure 5 mile. I run the route all the time so would be nice to race it.

After that, start building millage in prep for starting marathon training...

Next week...

Monday - Short Hills; Wednesday 7 x 400 (@1500 pace); Thur 5k easy; Saturday 12 - 14k lsr; Sunday long walk or 5 - 6k easy. Also 2 x swim; 2 x strengthening; daily stretching, rehab and plenty of foam rolling.

Short HIlls

First time doing these so not really sure if I was doing it right. W/U was most of OHs C25K programme - while he finished his stuff with a lap of the duck pond I went for my hill. No clue if I was doing these right. Did the first one on the path and ran the hill as fast as I could trying to concentrate on good form. Got to the top, felt okay so slow jog/walk down. The path had felt a little slippy so decided to do the rest on the grass.

Few things from this - I don't really know what good form is. I mean when I am wrecked and it gets really bad I can feel it but not sure if the rest of the time I am good or mediocre or what.

I think I could have run them faster a different day but legs bit heavy from the walking at the weekend and because I wasn't sure what I was doing my head wasn't really in it. Might google video before this comes up on plan again.

Ran home, all good. Total c 6k

Tuesday 29 Mar

AM: Strengthening
    PM: Swimming - lost count so did either 350m or 400m - lets call it 375!

Wednesday 30 Mar - Intervals

Oh dear flipping Jesus - these were brutal and I was so disheartened after them, swore I was only ever going to run at a nice slow plodding pace and never race, ever.

In hind sight, that might have been somewhat dramatic. Plan was 7 x 400m at 1500m pace which pace calculator told me was somewhere between 2 mins and 2:15...2min recovery, sure what could go wrong!

For anyone familiar with the area, did these at lunch time on the Avenue in Maynooth - nice straight, flat and almost a km so plenty of space. Only problem is that when its not on a nice track I don't actually know how far 400m is. Should have measured it during my warm up - I mean there are even lines on the path that could be used. Anyway my inability to judge distance or indeed pace over short distances meant that I started great which lasted about 10secs and faded desperately. Hit the lap button before 400 on 3 - 6 and skipped the last one. Mentally I definitely lost this battle, but hopefully not the war.

Warm Up 2.3 km @ avg 6:17
    1. 1:51
    2. 1:41
    3. 1:04 (260 m)
    4. 1:29 (340 m)
    5. 1:23 (300 m)
    6. 0:57 (230 m)
    7. dnr
    Cool down 0.9 km @ avg 5:50

These appear on my plan again next Wednesday and I was planning on doing them in Maynooth again so next time I will

1. measure the distance during warm up and find a stick or something to put beside the path at start and finish so that I can see the end.
    2. Do not run as fast!
    3. Do not give up, even if I slow during a rep (although obviously my aim is ultimately to be consistent).

Total just over 6k

On a happier note new runners had their first outing outside the gym - they feel lovely!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Hi! You're being a bit hard on yourself, chalk this up and map it on the learning curve :) If the first two were accurately measured, you were waaaay under pace and that will have a knock on effect for the rest of the session, ie it will hurt!

The recovery wasn't all that long for a 1500m pace session so until you get the required pace programmed into your legs - or inner metronome - don't be afraid to give yourself a slightly longer recovery if needed. Consistency on the reps is more important at this stage.

Best to start at the slower end of your range. Next week, measure where the 200m mark is and use that as a pace gauge. So next week, if your target for 400m is 2:10, you should be at the 200m mark in 1:05 (not 260m!)

My coach always says that when you start to slow drastically as the session progresses, it's time to walk away (or shuffle jog ;) ) and come back another day. Which is what you did, so there, something went right!

It will go better next week, just focus on getting a feel for the right pace and effort for now....and staying relaxed, mentally and physically! Recover well.

Just catching up since last August and several things jump out:
    - your ingrained stretching routine habit sounds fab, well done
    - sleep is so important, you are right!
    - train at the pace you are at right now, so when you did 400s in Feb, it looks like you were training at your aspirational pace. Keep using the mile races and 5ks every now and then to get a benchmark. Well done on the 5k pb!
    - always always always start your run with a shuffle jog. And finish with a shuffle jog too :) Remember the voter shuffle you did, that's the right one!
    - go naked every now and then, it works :D

• Advertisement

Thanks DubGal. I feel a lot better about it today, like you say I was waaay too fast for the first two so no wonder I was hurting. My inner metronome is somewhat under developed to say the least but sure that means it can only get better, right? :D

Good idea re the marking 200m as well as the 400m to see how I am going during the rep and thanks for the other tips comments - you're great to catch up on my log and comment!

Shocking night sleep last night, body still on winter time so was late getting to sleep and then I had horrid nightmare so decided to give myself an extra hour in bed this morning instead of running.

Lovely evening, plan called for 5k easy so went out with OH for his C25K session during which covered 4.7k @ avg 7:07 (still a few walking bits in there - so the running bits were a bit faster than that). Obviously couldn't finish on 4.7 so let OH go home and I went for another lap around the block 1.37 k at avg 6:08 - prob should have been slower but felt good.

Stretched when home and some mini lindt easter eggs ...yummm!

Rest day tomorrow and long run on Saturday...have convinced OH to get up early (for him) on Saturday and collect me from Marley Park. I will run there (bout 7k) and do the PR (not race it). Okay so its not a super long run, but longest I've done in a while is 11 so will be happy to do 12 - 14 and def don't want to run home again after PR

Today was rest day and I didn't need to be in the office super early so took advantage and spend extra long on stretching and rehab this morning, feel my ankles are a weak link so have added in some standing on one leg balance thingys. Also foam rolled and then had hot bottle to ease out an tension in back at my desk.

It is the end of the month so lets try a table....

|2015|2016
    January|?|52.32
    February|?|93.96
    March|13.65|67.25
    April|70.77|
    May|27.41|
    June|123.11|
    July|52.36|
    August|20.24|
    September|17.53|
    October|21.75|
    November|11.03|
    December|12.29|

I may have done more than 13 in March last year but my records are incomplete. Either way, I am definitely doing better this year :D Had about a week of not running this month hence down on Feb but I did have a PB so can't complain really!

Week Beginning 28 Mar: round up

Back to a bit of normality this week.

Monday
    Short hills - new experience for me, not entirely sure I was doing them right but hopefully they served some purpose. In any event it was a nice evening for a run with OH. 6KM

Tuesday
    AM: Strengthening
    PM: Swimming

Wednesday
    Intervals - see report and comments above. 6.14KM

Thursday
    Easy run in the evening 6.1KM

Friday
    Rest Day

Saturday
    Such a lovely run Saturday morning. Was full of beans after a nice sleep, ran from home to Marley Park and did the park run, followed by some choc milk and a taste of various stuff that OH was eating in the market. There was actual Blaas :D

Splits as follows:

1. 5:45 - too fast
    2. 6:10
    3. 5:56 - too fast AGAIN
    4. 6:03 - too fast WTF
    5. 6:32 - more like it, there was also some hills
    6. 6:19 -
    7. 7:06 - this had a tiny bit of walking as I waited for the PR to go
    8. 6:45 - Start of pr and the crowd coupled with slight incline, kept me slow - felt like I could have run at this rate forever.
    9. 5:57 - crowd dispersed a little, still felt great
    10. 6:06
    11. 6:18
    12. 5:33 - gave myself permission to go faster for the last KM of PR
    13. 5:53 - too fast for cooldown! :o But in my defence I did walk around a lot at the market and stuff after I met OH so am sure my legs don't know the difference between moving to cooldown and moving to eye up various foodstuffs.

Really enjoyed the PR - there was this amazing woman running pushing not one BUT TWO children in a buggy. I think she is wonder-woman in disguise. I did tell her I thought she was great when I chatted with her briefly after the token scanning etc. I hope I didn't embarrass her but I was really in awe!

Sunday
    No running today but am home so did a 10k walk with my mum, in the rain. Miles in the rain definitely count for more than ones in nice conditions - right!

Pilates 0/1 - and will miss it again next week cause not in Dublin on Monday
    Morning stretches 6/7
    Back rehab exercises 6/7
    Swim 1/2
    Strengthening Routine 1/2

Totals:

Week - 31.17 km (4.4 last week - highest week so far)
    Month - 67.25 for March; 13.02 Apr so far
    YtD - 226.5 km

Next week...

Monday - take advantage of Waterford's hilly landscape and take in some hills on easy run; Wednesday 7 x 400 (@1500 pace); Thur 5k easy; Saturday 14 - 16k lsr; Sunday long walk or 5 - 6k easy. Also 2 x swim; 2 x strengthening; daily stretching, rehab and plenty of foam rolling.

My mother is like a black hole that sucks in time. Despite getting up before 9, I didn't manage to leave the house to run until 4pm Monday! Was only planning 6 k but wanted to have some hills in there - tried to plot a route that had steep uphills and gentle incline for the down hills - mostly worked except for one road near my old school that I had forgotten is very steep. Ran a bit fast at the start (and probably overall) - this is a reoccurring theme here - need to get strict with myself.

6.5 k @ avg 6:08 (I think - haven't uploaded watch yet) with lots of ups and downs.

Tuesday plan is no running but to hit the pool for a swim and sauna.

The running gods just do not want me to have a successful intervals session! :mad:

Plan - 7 x 400 with 2:30 cool down - aiming for 2 - 2:15/400 with 2 k ish w/u and c/d

Actual: Almost 3k nice slow warm up in lovely sunshine; followed by 5 x 400m fairly consistent pace despite wind in face for every second one, they were tough and I needed the recovery but I felt in control; followed by a warning of the coming of the apocalypse in the form of hailstones. I don't mind running in the rain but I draw the line when I can no longer see and my face is being pummeled by not so tiny balls of ice - last two reps abandoned due to adverse weather conditions :( just over a k cool down.

Then to top it all off, the showers in the sports centre were freezing!! Well except for that 45 sec where they lulled me into a false sense of security and I added shampoo to my hair! :rolleyes:

Will add splits later when I have my connection lead thingy for watch

• Advertisement

Interval Splits

Warm Up: 2.81 @ avg 6:40/km

Splits with 2:30 min recovery

1. 1:39
    2. 1:43
    3. 1:41
    4. 1:53
    5. 1.42

First one was a little fast but happy enough with the others. 2 and 4 were into the wind, it had picked up by round 4 in preparation for the hailstones! :(

Cool down: 1.11 @ avg 6:23/km

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Character building run will stand to you. Well done.

aquinn wrote: »
    Character building run will stand to you. Well done.

Thanks A, after the disaster that last week was, I really wanted to get this right this week - twas actually lovely weather wise until about the 4th rep...I did about 30 sec of rep 5 repeating to myself that what didn't kill me would make me stronger...but like I say I draw the line at ice! Another attempt in two weeks - third time lucky! Haha

**dusts off log...

The rest of the week was a washout running wise. Lack of sleep and deadlines left me absolutely exhausted and ended up skipping running for the rest of the week, largely in favour of sleep!!

Week Beginning 4 Apr: round up

Monday
    In Waterford, threw in some hills to run - enjoyable - 6.8km

Tuesday
    Am sure I stretched but that was about it I think

Wednesday
    Intervals - see report and comments above - damm you weather gods! :rolleyes: 7.5k

Thursday
    AM: Opted for sleep instead of run
    PM: Didn't get home till after 10 so no run

Friday
    Rest Day but feck all sleep :(

Saturday
    Did stretch, foam roll etc but body felt so exhausted that I couldn't face run.

Sunday
    Again no running - turned off alarm, had lie in and got brought breakfast in bed - slept many hours but still needed coffee to shake zombie feeling.

Pilates 0/1 - I know, I know...
    Morning stretches 5 or 6/7
    Back rehab exercises 5 or 6/7
    Swim 0/2
    Strengthening Routine 0/2

Totals:
    Week - 14.26 km (31.17 last week)
    Month - 27.28
    YtD - 240.8 km

Next week...

Be super strict about getting to bed on time. Although not sleeping great at the moment, keep waking up etc but maybe if I get back in a routine that will improve.
    Running wise - easy runs Monday, Thursday and Sunday; Speedy stuff Wednesday and LSR Saturday. Sunday's run might get switched for a long walk
    Usually stretchy stuff and rekindling affair with JD Challenge.

Priority is sleep!

Easy run today - plan was 6k but with the exhaustion all weekend came super tense muscles over my entire back - I mean, my shoulders were so tight, I felt like I had been battered with something. While rest and mucho stretching, foam rolling etc did ease some of this out, tension in lower back triggered tightness in my gluts so decided to call it a day at 5k and walk it out rather than risk injuring myself.

• Advertisement

Today:
    AM - strength work
    PM - pool and sauna - well I tried, the fecking pool was sooooo busy that it was just impossible to swim so after a handful of lengths I skipped to the sauna.

35 min tomorrow with 15 min at 10k pace - whatever that is - going to go for circa 5:30 min/km

PM (Later): JD Challenge Day 2

Plan this morning was 10min easy w/u; 15 min at 10k pace; 10 min easy c/d. I forgot to put the workout on my watch but figured I can remember 10, 15, 10...right? Right? :rolleyes:

Lovely morning to be out, first 10 min nice and slow and easy, really concentrated on keeping it slow and pace was in and around 6:15 - 6:30 min/km so seem to have succeeded. A little after 10 min into it all, I picked up the pace. Haven't run a 10k in years but figured if I was able to do 5k in 26:3x that I could probably do 10k in 55 min which would be 5:30 min / k marginally slower than 5k. First glance at watch said 4:xx clearly far too fast, slowed down a bit although I never slowed to 5:30 - was more in and around 5:15/5:20 for the section.

Still need to work on mental strength 'cause I was feeling fine, working hard but feeling okay about it, until I turned a corner, glanced at watch and knew I was nearly finished this section - was like shut-down which led to dodgy mental maths and me finishing this section a minute early :(

Cool down was another slow easy pace back to house. Because I was concentrating on time, only realised after I pressed stop and save that I was at 5.97km - was tempted to press go again for the 300 m but sense prevailed. Don't have watch lead with me so will put splits up later, after I have done JD Day 3 and some foam rolling.

Tomorrow 4 - 5 easy in the morning and a few lengths of pool and sauna after work.

Oh log, I am sorry for the neglect...

There hasn't been a lot of running round these parts last few weeks. First because of work and deadlines getting in the way and doing stupid hours, not eating right, not sleeping right, making myself super stressed - like when you can feel stress in your body like some poison coursing through your veins! :mad: and then was sick last week - probably because of the poison!

I have however mostly kept up with stretching and rehab exercises at least. Small victories.

I also joined in the mentored thread for DCM16 :eek: I must be mad.

Rejigged plan looks something like this:
    May Wk 1 - get better - keep stretching, run if possible, walk if not, don't over do it, join boardsies on the Royal Canal Sun, go for a long walk
    May Wk 2 - continue getting better, continue stretching, running more, reacquaint myself with the pool (and sauna) maybe do the Terenure 5 mile - not as a race race but more because I like the look of the t-shirt and its on my doorstep, go for a long walk
    May Wk 3 - stretching, running, make weeks look a bit like the boards M plan, long walks, massage, pool and sauna
    May Wk 4 - more of the same

June Wk 1 - 2 Walk from Lisbon to Porto, eat my weight in fresh sea food
    June Wk 3 - Stretching, massage, approximate week 1 of the boards plan
    June Wk 4 - more of the same

June 27 - start the super boards marathon for novices plan mentored by nop and co

And of course, start keeping my log a bit more up to date with actual running exploits

Rejigged plan looks something like this:
    May Wk 1 - get better - keep stretching, run if possible, walk if not, don't over do it, join boardsies on the Royal Canal Sun, go for a long walk

Yay!

June 27- start the super boards marathon for novices plan mentored by nop and co

double Yay!

hope you're on the mend..

hope you're on the mend..

I am - just a case of running myself into the ground; burning the candle at both ends and other clichés. I know better, I just don't listen to my own advice. :rolleyes:

My main issue right now is that my lower back, already not enthused with my desk bound life, REALLY DID NOT ENJOY the few days in bed, so super extra attention being paid to stretching and rehab this week.

How are you getting on? Feeling better? For someone "resting" there seems a fair amount of activity on your log

I am - just a case of running myself into the ground; burning the candle at both ends and other clichés. I know better, I just don't listen to my own advice. :rolleyes:

My main issue right now is that my lower back, already not enthused with my desk bound life, REALLY DID NOT ENJOY the few days in bed, so super extra attention being paid to stretching and rehab this week.

How are you getting on? Feeling better? For someone "resting" there seems a fair amount of activity on your log

It seems I'm entirely allergic to resting :D the only thing I'm officially banned from is running !! I'm feeling great thanks SL, looking forward to catching up with everyone on Sunday and meeting new boardsies too :)

It seems I'm entirely allergic to resting :D the only thing I'm officially banned from is running !! I'm feeling great thanks SL, looking forward to catching up with everyone on Sunday and meeting new boardsies too :)

Worse things you could be allergic to in fairness! Make sure to mind yourself though and not over do it! Also looking forward to Sunday - feel my running ventures should be more sociable than at present.

Thought I probably ought to include some running on here. Was starving by time got home so shoved a few crackers in my mouth and headed straight to my runners. Dragged OH with me. Walked to local park (750m away - I know this from previous ventures) started watch and running. First km, was grand, felt okay, kept it nice and slow and conversational. OH was starting to feel it a bit (he still on the C25K programme, he not very dedicated) so we walked for a short while before running another lap of park and heading for home.

All in all 3.02k @ avg pace 7:07 but that included the walking bit in the middle - pace was around 6:35 min/km for the running I think. Ill effects of bug are easing I think, like energy wise I felt okay although wouldn't have been up for any speedy work. Stiffness in lower back/pelvis is still there although as eased considerably since the weekend and again keeping it slow was good. Hot water bottle will be my friend for next few days.

Stretching when got home as well as the stretching, rehab exercises and foam rolling this morning.

No running tomorow - off to a conference with my first ever entry in academic poster session - was too chicken to submit an actual paper! :o

Thursday 5 May

AM: Stretching, Rehab and tennis ball v bum
    circa half hour downhill cycle to conference - I had forgotten how terrififying cycling in Dublin at rush hour is and the traffic wasn't even that busy!!

PM: I have to cycle home again, reckon it will take longer as I mostly rolled here :( Hopefully will get home in time to spend some quality time with my foam roller

tomorrow - more running planned

Friday 6 May

So conference wine yesterday evening/night plus late night/early morning combo meant no running today. I did cycle half hour x 2 so at least that is something. I must learn how to say no to free alcohol though.

Tomorrow there is a walking field trip at the close of conference which is rumoured to end in the pub so prob won't run if I am honest with myself. But that okay, next week is the return to routine, this week was just return to moving.

Worked out paces after Nop's post on mentored thread - flipping heck, so slow!!

PMP (for 4:30 finish time): 6:20/km
    Easy: 6:50/km
    LSR: 7:00/km
    Rec: 7:15/km

This is gonna take a bit of getting used to.

Sleep now, giving paper in the morning :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck in the morning!

thanks chickey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Good luck. Presenting a paper is much easier than fielding random questions during a poster session IMO!

Thanks Murph - both went well and no random questions (well nothing too random)

Week Ending Sunday 8 May

Not a great running week but did start the week sick, energy-less and broken and improved so that is good.

Mon - nada
    Tues - nada
    Wed - easy 3k
    Thur - cycle commute 30 min each way and first academic conference
    Fri - cycle commute 30 min each way
    Sat - rest conferences are tiring
    Sun - easy 10k with other boardsies on the Royal Canal

Totals
    Wk: 13k
    Month to Date: 13k
    Year to Date: (will edit later - is on my home computer)

Next week
    Try and structure my week the same shape as the Boards DCM plan and get in some easy running.

Hip/pelvis/gluts are stiff on the left side so going to watch that and try and nip any issues in the bud.

Monday 9

Stretching, Rehab, Foam Rolling and balance exercises

Tuesday 10
    AM: stretching, rehab etc - opted for lazy hour in bed instead of running
    PM: Cursing my hour in bed this morning went for 4k easy in the rain and wind before dinner. Was grand once I got going although I think I might look into a running jacket. Still stiff around pelvis region but no pain as such, just I can feel it, if that makes sense.

Strangest thing happened though - so running I was fine, kept pace nice and easy around 6:35/km and felt fine until I stopped and then I was hit with a wave of woozeyness. Might just have been cause I hadn't had dinner yet but v odd.

Strangest thing happened though - so running I was fine, kept pace nice and easy around 6:35/km and felt fine until I stopped and then I was hit with a wave of woozeyness. Might just have been cause I hadn't had dinner yet but v odd.

how's your hydration SL? it is getting warmer! (relatively speaking!)

how's your hydration SL? it is getting warmer! (relatively speaking!)

Strange you mention that I probably haven't drunk as much as I normally would the past few days. I also think I don't eat enough at lunch time given how late dinner tends to be but without a microwave I rely on salads and it's hard to make a salad substantive - delicious, sure no bother but substantive, not so much.....wanders over to cooking forum for inspiration. :D

Strange you mention that I probably haven't drunk as much as I normally would the past few days. I also think I don't eat enough at lunch time given how late dinner tends to be but without a microwave I rely on salads and it's hard to make a salad substantive - delicious, sure no bother but substantive, not so much.....wanders over to cooking forum for inspiration. :D

Pasta, rice, quinoa :) says she who doesn't include any of those in her own lunch !! Avacados too and mixed nuts all help fill out the lowly salad. I've been trying recently to make lunch my biggest meal of the day and just have supper at night - I'll get there eventually!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Sometimes my salads are unfinished cause there's just too much....

anything goes - grated carrot, grated courgette, chopped broccoli along with spinach, lettuce, peppers, cucumber, tomatoes, beetroot, hardboiled egg, pineapple, mango, apple and mixed nuts/seeds. As FD mentioned, Quinoa, brown rice, brown pasta. If you have a fridge handy i also add cottage cheese and hummus. And then its usually chicken or hake with the salad, dash of balsamic vinegar &/lemon juice and its fab!!

Then there lots of onions, scallions, etc but i cant eat them....

Make sure you are having a late afternoon snack also if dinner is going to be late. Oatcakes with nut butter/cottage chees is a great one and will hold you until dinner!! plenty of water too!

Edit: Egg muffins is a great one too - fry off preferred veg, ham, peppers etc and put them in muffin tray, beat a few egg and pour over, cook 20 mins in oven until set - lovely hot or cold for breakfast or lunch!!

Advertisement