Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Four Year Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Haven't been able to run in over a week, walking has even been challenging since last Thursday...had second physio session yesterday after work and I think she was a little surprised to see how bad I was - her interventions last Thursday to deal with the referred pain in knee had obviously flared up the issue rather than made it any better. Did some work on the pelvis and glutes, pretty much staying away from the precise area of trouble and today I feel.....well i am not sure. It is still sore, my ass hurts (not surprising after the work on glutes yesterday) and my back is still stiff and achy and I guess painful but I think it is better than yesterday, marginally....it was def less stiff this morning and I slept the whole night which I haven't done in a few days - but maybe that was exhaustion catching up!

Plan of action is, don't sit or stand for two long, don't go for long walks - essentially stay active but gently. Minimal cycling, but the easy ride into work is preferable over the 45 min walk. Gentle stretching, testing what I can do, being very careful not to do anything that aggravates it, and I can swim backwards...see how it goes over the next few days and fingers and toes crossed that I am okay for my hols.

All going well, post hols I am going to start from the very very start and slowly (re)build strength, endurance, and good habits. I think I need to bring it way back to small stuff and build up really slowly - I may need to be reminded of this!

Wednesday 19 August

Still no running.

Pain is subsiding - woke up this morning pain free :D but doing stuff (basics like walking around the office, sitting at desk etc) has made the pain return :( but not as bad as previous days so hopefully it will continue to get less and less with more and more being required to bring it on :)

Swimming - paltry 200m at lunch time - pain free but my quads and glutes were starting to feel it from about 150m so thought best not to push it - not exactly the world's best swimmer so hardly surprising. Will engage hot water bottle for the evening and some gentle stretching.

Pain has eased considerably, in that there isn't really any but then I haven't pushed anything, cycle to work and walks around the block have been the height of it!

Off on hols tomorrow so hopefully it will be okay and I shall tackle rehab and regaining fitness when I get back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

spaceylou wrote: »
    Pain has eased considerably, in that there isn't really any but then I haven't pushed anything, cycle to work and walks around the block have been the height of it!

Off on hols tomorrow so hopefully it will be okay and I shall tackle rehab and regaining fitness when I get back

brilliant! enjoy your hols :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Firedance wrote: »
    brilliant! enjoy your hols :)

+1 have a great time, relax and hopefully rebuild when you're back

• Advertisement

Oh Ireland you got so cold while I was away!!

Knee and back have been mostly fine - more tired at times then anything else. But then again I haven't been running in over two weeks, just lots of strolling in hot weather.

Over weekend gonna try a long walk see how it is and then a short run - fingers crossed!

Now off to catch up on logs and threads....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Welcome back. Have a great break?

aquinn wrote: »
    Welcome back. Have a great break?

Oh it was amazing...since I got back have been plotting how I could spend longer in Arles sometime in the next year or two!

Well, what's happening?

Last week was the first week in far too long that I managed 3 runs, and they weren't even long (or fast). Have decided to let this log lie here and start a new one to reflect new directions and plans for the next few years

• Advertisement

Are you ok? If only getting back to running mind yourself and build up slowly.

A new chapter in my life and an injury imposed break from running make me feel like a new log is warranted. As the title implies I have a four year plan, or rather a vague idea of what I want to achieve in the next four years...the actual plan might take a bit more work, and achieving it definitely will!

About Me

Like all good logs, I'll start with the stats:

34 year old female, (mostly) desk based job, long commute (runmute not an option).

70kg with a body fat percentage of...I dunno! Probably fairly average and the upper end of 'healthy'/lower end of 'ooh might want to look at that'.

Run in Dublin (D6 area) when near home and in Maynooth when at work. Maynooth is new to me, so any suggestions beyond - have you tried the canal would be welcome.

Have been running for a few years now with intermittent dedication. Wrecked my back about ten years ago so while I have an overall 'clear to exercise' from my physio, it is something I need to watch and be careful of. I find pilates helpful, bordering on essential anytime I increase millage and also need to do a regular (ideally daily, happy with 5/7) home routine of stretching and strengthening exercises.

Previous Results

Will have to do another entry when I have the exact numbers in front of me but over the years I have run a fair few 5ks with pb of around 26:?? in March 2014; Have run a few 5 miles and 10ks but neither of these distances in the last year or so and can't remember times off the top of my head. I have run 2 1/2 marathons, both in Waterford, most recent one in June 2015 was just over 2 hours 10 min which was an improvement of about 13 min since the previous year.

Big Plan Goals*
    • Complete PhD
    • Finish and enjoy a Marathon
    • Fit into my skinny jeans everyday (not just skinny days) - in quantifiable terms that probably means hovering around 64kg rather than around 70kg and sure hovering around 60kg would be even better.
    • Have a body that is strong enough/healthy enough to do all the things I wanna do - stuff like walk the camino; machu picchu; Kilimanjaro; grow a baby (and keep running); etc. etc.
    • Race 5k in <20:00
    • Race 10k in <45:00
    • Race 1/2 marathon in <1:50:00
    • Be able to hold a conversation (beyond the weather and train timetables) in French

*These are not all strictly running related but relevant for how it all fits together.

2015/2016 Goals**
    • Finish Dublin City Marathon 2016***
    • Run 5k <27:00
    • Run a 10k race
    • Run Viking 1/2 marathon <2:10:00 and as close to 2hr as possible.
    • Leave 5kg somewhere on the road, not to be found again for quite some time
    • Run in France
    • Walk some aspect of the Camino

**Thanks to PhD programme I now plan my life in relation to the academic year.
    ***Technically that would be 2016/2017 but it goes in here cause all the prep work is gonna have to happen this year!

At the moment, I am running for time i.e. run for 30 min rather than run 5k with a focus on building up my strength and fitness again. Over the coming weeks I want to gradually increase the length of runs, especially the weekly LSR and also gradually increase the number of running days from 3 to 5.

I have no intention of racing until 2016 and currently plan on signing up for the Tom Brennan memorial on 1 Jan - get the calendar year off to a good start.

Broadly speaking first half of 2016 is about gradually building strength, stamina etc with a few 5k and/or 10 k races thrown in to keep it interesting. Would like to run the Viking half again as its in my home town and I have enjoyed it in the past and then after that - focus on DubCity2016 for which I will be religiously following the mentored thread here, which even this year, when I wasn't running it, was both useful and inspirational.

Monday 19

20 min easy - body felt a little fatigued - attributed it to less than perfect weekend diet.

Thursday 22

20 min easy - evening run for a change, felt fine, went a little too fast at start - when will I learn!

Saturday 24

30 min easy - nice run, didn't feel the extra 10 mins very much, possibly because for once I managed to run the first km super slow.

Home stretching / Strengthening Routine - completed 5/7

Plan this week is:

Tues - 20 min
    Thur - 20 min
    Sat - 35 min

Daily stretching / strengthening
    Find a new pilates class
    Start new boards log :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Best of luck with the log! I'm just returning to running after a two year sabatical (baby and lazyness!) and I'm hoping to run DCM '16 too. I might join the mentored novice thread too, even though I've run two marathons, I feel like a total newbie again and I got so much out of it in 2012.

I also want to learn French! Was in France last month for two weeks and my French was disgraceful so I am planning to change that for next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

The best of luck with the log and your goals

Well, what news?

Well that was a false start if ever there was one!! Injuries persisted, commuting takes a lot of getting used to, not having a gym and pool five minutes from my desk is annoying and I got real good at excuses!! However, let us draw a line under it and start afresh for the new year.

The Line ^^^^

2016 - the story so far

Feel like I was back to zero so since Christmas week I've been concentrating on trying to run easy, not too far, increasing gradually but being consistent - mostly its working. I also have a morning stretching routine that is now a deeply ingrained habit that I think I could do in my sleep and definitely hungover and/or sleep deprived. I find it really useful.

Longest run this year has been 6k but I am happy to think in a short while that will be my short run not my long one.

Week beginning Mon 11 Jan

Monday: 4.5k @ avg 6:19/km. Have figured out how to make sure i run slowly - just go out before dawn when its freezing and I have to be super aware of potential ice! To be honest, it was mostly fine, even on the footpaths once I got out of my estate but vigilance was still required!

Tuesday: plan says rest with active recovery in the pool (if time) - really ought to make the time. 5k easy tomorrow

You're back and I nearly missed you as was busy stalking old log which you kept ignoring :P

How are you getting on?

All the very best with 2016.

Was the Waterford half then not just on so you couldn't do it?

Thanks aquinn...I am back and determined that I will log even when I am not running what I want.

I did the half in Waterford that is on with the Viking marathon in June. The one that the athletics club organise in Dec was postponed cause of bad weather I think but did go ahead as far as I know on the second date. I would have been in no shape to run either date though!

• Advertisement

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: unplanned rest days. Had a deadline that sucked up all my time so by the time I got home Wednesday or Thursday it was too icy and Friday it was just too late, midnight runs are not for me.

Saturday: lovely morning 8k easy run. Really enjoyed this and was delighted to get out after being chained to my desk all week.

Sunday: rest

Week 18 Jan

Monday: striken down by some gastro /intestinal issue that I won't gross you all out with but given lack of porta loos on any of my usual routes I stayed at home.

Tuesday - Wednesday: tummy etc better but not 100% and given how running can sometimes bring on certain movements at the best of times I thought best not to tempt faith.

Thursday: travel

Friday: warm weather training thanks to Lanzarote break :). Set out to do 4 ish km but the humidity got me so only did 3.5 @ avg 6:19/km pace. Did walk a fair bit in the afternoon.

Saturday: rest

Sunday: 10km walk including the top of the lovely montania roja volcano near playa blanca... Really enjoyable!!

Week total: 3.57km hardly a record but sure can only improve from here!

Week 25 Jan

Monday lovely easy run along the sea shore today from my hotel to one of the beaches, down on the beach and back again. Managed much better than Fridays attempt, think I less tired, more used to heat and brought a bottle of water with me. Felt fairly strong throughout, but boy does it get windy here! Was a relief when turned and it was to my back!

6.13km @ avg 6:19/km

Asked mods [thanks RacoonQueen] to merge this log with my previous log cause I was thinking, just because I had a blip with running and made some changes in career etc is no reason not to keep tracking my progress (or lack thereof at times) in the one place.

Am feeling very virtuous today - back from holidays yesterday and up this morning for a long stretching session with a bit of my back rehab exercises thrown in. Followed by a lovely run today along the canal. Sun was shining, swans looking cool, great to see so many people out running, walking etc...took it nice and easy as wanted to run for around an hour - longest of 2016. All was great until I turned back from home....oh wow that wind!! Felt at times as if I were running just to stand still. Pace suffered so concentrated on keeping effort as constant as possible and within 'easy' as well as trying to maintain some sort of decent form.

All in all, ran for 58 mins during which I covered 9.15km at an avg pace of 6:25 although as mentioned above that was a bit faster in the first half and a bit slower in the second half.

Week Beginning 25 Jan: round up

This week started in Lanzarote and ends back in Dublin.

Monday
    6.13 km easy run along the sea front in Playa Blanca @ avg pace 6:20min/km

Tuesday
    Rest (planned) - was on a bus tour thingy around the island - had a weird dizzy spell at one point, very strange was like trying to balance on a bouncy castle except the ground is obviously not a bouncy castle! Passed after a few minutes but as happened once or twice before, generally without any warning - must keep an eye on.

Wednesday
    Rest (unplanned) - after yesterday's 'funny turn' and generally feeling tired plus being on holidays decided to take it easy today.

Thursday
    Afternoon run 5.06 km easy @ avg pace 6:07 min /km - probably a tad bit fast for my 'easy' pace but the first 3 were along the sea front with a fabulous sunset. The colours in the sky were amazing, as if it were on fire and then reflected in the sea - just fabulous. Last 2 km were not on sea front and had the constant wind that blows in Lanzarote in my face, so not quite as enjoyable but grand.

Friday
    Rest and travel home to wet and cold Dublin

Saturday
    Lovely run as described above - easy pace 9.15 km at avg pace 6:25 min/km

Sunday
    Plan is more stretching and a brisk walk either in Glendalough or from Bray to Greystones with the OH - still can't convince him running is the way forward!

Overall very pleased with this week as normally when on hols I run once and then all my good intentions go out the window.

Totals:
    Week - 20.34 km
    Month - 52.31 km
    YtD - 52.31 km

Next week...

Aim is to continue consistency, do another long(ish) run of 10k but also add in another short run for a total of 4 running days. Pilates class, some swimming, daily stretching, and some additional s&c training also being aspired to.

Oh dear lord that wind.... Feck off Henrietta or whatever you are called!!

Ran long way to gym this morning, pilates class and short way home. Total of 6.8km. First 4.5 avg pace was 6:15ish and the home journey was slower at 6:30 /km but really it was all over the place with the gusts of wind trying to blow us all away!! Pilates was good, think will try make this one my regular.

Also did my stretchy stuff this morning, rehab exercises for back, and day two of 30 day challenge this evening.

Was like an anti-christ yesterday - very grumpy, OH sent me out for a run before dinner - world was a better place. Had just intended 5k easy but after the first two was so lovely to be out that I decided to a wee bit of farklek for about 1.5k. Very unstructured, did about 5 surges I think of between 50m and 200m each (using landmarks like bus stops and lamp-posts) at approx 75 - 80% max effort with recovery until breathing was back to normal. 2km cool down at easy pace.

Home to lovely dinner :)

Knew I wouldn't get out today unless I went early so 7am out for a short easy run - 3.5ish - not bright yet at 7 but less dark if that makes any sense.

Project stretchy continues and am on day 4 of JD 30 day challenge. Tomorrow is a rest day.

Week Beginning 1 Feb: round up

University back in full swing this week with the start of semester 2.

Monday
    4.5 easy* run @ avg pace 6:15 /km to
    Pilates Class - was mixed level and I am not so good but think I'll try do this one every week
    2.3 easy* run home @ avg pace 6:30 /km

*Storm Henry was making his presence felt with very strong winds that was quite gusty and blew me about the place a bit! Even standing still would have been hard in some places.

Tuesday
    Rest (planned)

Wednesday
    Evening run 5.6 km 2k warm up; 1500m fartlek; 2k cool down
    Splits: 6:19; 6:10; 5:43; 5:45; 6:22; 4:10 (670m avg 6:19 /km)

Thursday
    Early morning easy run, could feel previous evenings run in the legs. 3.4 km @ avg 6:27 /km

Friday
    Rest (planned)

Saturday
    LSR in lovely soft drizzle this morning along the dodder. Some short sharp hills near Milltown made me realise I need to find more hilly routes as most of my running is on pretty flat streets. I probably started too fast for easy pace but was feeling good. Slowed in the middle a bit (the short sharp hills) but finished strong with last km same as first km. Thought I was going faster though which means I am shocking at judging given that in the first km I thought I was going slowly! :rolleyes:

Splits: 6:05; 6:13; 6:08; 6:19; 6:18; 6:24; 6:25; 6:44; 6:10; 6:05 Total 10.1 km @ avg 6:17 /km

Sunday
    Plan is brisk walk in Glendalough - did Bray to Greystones and return last week.

Project strong and stretchy
    Pilates 1/1
    Morning stretches 6/6 (will do tomorrow too)
    Back rehab exercises 6/6 (will do tomorrow too)
    JD Challenge 4/6 - could do better
    Swim 0/2 - :(

Overall pretty happy with this week.

Totals:
    Week - 25.98 km (I might run 20 metres tomorrow)
    Month - 25.98 km
    YtD - 78.29 km

Next week...

Don't plan on increasing the millage but rather keep up project 'strong and stretchy', run four days again and introduce some speed work on Wednesday. Plan is 2k w /up; 5 x 400 @1500 pace; 1k c/d. Not sure how to figure out what my 1500 pace is. Been ages since I raced, and next race is a 5k in which I will be aiming for as close to 25 min as possible although being realistic will be happy with anything under 27:30. Was thinking try and run them as close to 2:15 as possible with jog back to start (I running on a straight line) - anyone any thoughts or advice?

• Advertisement

Intervals

On the one hand I totally messed up this session, on the other it was great fun!

Plan was 2k w/up 5 x 400 @ 1500pace; 1k c/d. No clue what I was doing, had to google how to set up the session on my watch, decided on 3 min recovery (seemed like a nice number). Also have no clue what my 1500 pace is so opted instead for my desired 5k pace 5 - 5:30 /min (I really working in the blind here) which after some mental maths that I hope I got right would suggest running the 400s in 2:15 or there abouts??

Anywho, identified a spot that I thought might be good, not much traffic, straight, flat - but the short way is only just over a k and the long way is 3 so the warm up was a little long but kept it nice and slow and easy. All good so far.

Arrived at spot realised wind was in my face - boo! It looked something like this:

1. 1:48.93 - wind in face; oh dear jebus I am going to die; this is the longest 400 metres ever; I will never break 30min for 5k again; make it stop; why is my watch beeping? I wanna stop - oh its 400 - thank christ!! :eek:

2. 1:49.98 - wind at back; stop being such a baby and cop yourself on, where does it hurt? Nowhere? Maybe lungs? Okay, they need the practice, wanna slow down; Keep going, this 400 is def longer, on thank god there is the beep.

3. 1:48.95* - wind in face; why am I doing this? why do my legs feel as though they have been injected with lead? It is definitely longer this direction....oh lady in car wants directions**, okay I'll stop :rolleyes: isn't so bad when have a break half way!

4. 1:52.07 - wind at back; definitely nothing hurting; lungs working hard; thighs like lead; not doing the fifth one...

5. 1:51.55 - wind in face; have to go this way to go home so might as well run fast; nothing hurts, body just won't move, willing the beep to come!

3 min recovery each time which I mostly walked. Needed every second of it to get breathing back to normal. Then very slow run home - 1.17 k

*To be taken with a pinch of salt as I stopped mid-way
    **Realised afterwards in my befuddled state I gave the woman in a car directions that would have taken her on a footpath and wrong way down a one way street - oops!!

Despite the mental anguish during this I really enjoyed it and now that I know I was actually running faster than planned, even when fading, rather than super slow like I thought, I can work on keeping the pace steady across the whole session. And nothing hurt except lungs (and heart) were working overtime but sure do them good! :D

Total distance 7.66
    Total Running time 52 min or thereabouts

Advertisement