Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Four Year Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

spaceylou wrote: »
    Oh god, No - red face all over the place I imagine - eeck! :eek:

No, it's good, you look like you're giving it your all... It's the lead photo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Haha - its not so bad I guess, although I really must find the thingy to keep my sunglasses on! Also noticed, the woman I was battling with is 4 photos behind - must look up what that translates to in time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Fantastic effort & good stuff for leaving that woman in your dust at the end!

mel.b wrote: »
    Fantastic effort & good stuff for leaving that woman in your dust at the end!

Thanks Mel :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Well done, Spaceylou! And in less than ideal conditions. That's some finishing speed :eek: Maybe you're on to something there with the live protein boost :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Well done! Sounds like you paced it well. It's always better to finish thinking you could have gone faster in my book!

Can't multi-quote on phone but thanks guys. Em BG, I'll pass on the extra protein shot in future thanks! Twas not pleasant.

Week 4 DCM Training - Round Up

Overall pretty happy with how this week went.

M: Cross - few lengths of the pool and some time in the Sauna. Unfortunately I was late and ran out of time in the pool before they divided it in two so the kiddies camp could start.
    T: 5.6k easy
    W: 10k with 6.5 at PMP (well it ended up faster, more like 10k pace)
    T: Rest
    F: 6.6k easy
    S: Rest
    S: Fingal 10k Race, Swords -see report above. Plus 1k warm up.

Plus: Mrytle x 1
    Stretches and Rehab Routine x 4

Totals
    Week: 33.45 - step down from last week as LSR was dropped in favour of race
    MTD: 128.23km
    YTD: 462.5km

Next Week
    Start the week in Dublin, finish it in The Hague. Several easy runs, and a 24k LSR on Saturday. Also intend keeping up with ancillary stuff and have a sports massage booked for Tuesday. And I really need to make sure that I finish on an even number for the end of the month total!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Great race and report! Well done!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Nice going there L. Enjoyed the report. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Well done today L, well paced and you'll be able to build on the experience for the rest of the race series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Great race report, and some good learnings from it too. I hope my course description didn't leave you too astray :) Also it was great meeting up afterwards :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Well done L, great race report I really enjoyed your battle with "that darn woman".

Thanks guys - this week did not get off to the good start I had hoped - dropped frozen chicken fillets on my foot this morning - as you do - oh lordie they are hard and heavy when frozen! :mad: Evil looking little cut that gushed for a while and fairly bruised feeling so I skipped the pool in favour of some sympathy and a long breakfast!

Still feels tender to touch now but hopefully will be okay in the morning for some easy kms.

Thanks guys - this week did not get off to the good start I had hoped - dropped frozen chicken fillets on my foot this morning - as you do - oh lordie they are hard and heavy when frozen! :mad: Evil looking little cut that gushed for a while and fairly bruised feeling so I skipped the pool in favour of some sympathy and a long breakfast!

Still feels tender to touch now but hopefully will be okay in the morning for some easy kms.

Ouch, Arnica - take it both orally and rub onto the bruising, powerful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Just catching up here L, well done in Fingal!! great report and love the learning outcomes :D:D

Oh holy crap - what have I done!!! :eek:

Got paid, promptly signed up for DCM - this sh1t just got real!

24k LSR today was great, well I mean it was tiring and all but I felt stronger at the end than I did two weeks ago on 21k lsr.

Had delicious breakfast porridge with fruit followed by coffee and toast. I was feeling lazy so instead of doing stuff around the house like I normally would I dozed on couch for a bit before heading out. Took water with me but no gels etc. Every 6k I walked about 100m while drinking some water and it all felt good. Not sure if it was the additional toast at breakfast, the walking water, the drop in temperature or what but def felt better and stronger during today's run than two weeks ago.

Route was fairly flat with some bumbs... Harold's cross, to sundrive, St James hospital, down Stevens lane, across the river, into pp (never really run in park before), full length of chesterfield ave, turning left at end, sticking to smaller roads and trails, up and down, great views, came back out on chesterfield near the big monument, from there on to chapelizod by pass, across river, inchicore, south circular road, crumlin road, and then turn back toward home rather than continue past hospital. Running in the park was great, never realised there were so many hills and stuff, must run there more often.

24.1km @ avg 6:51/km

Amsterdam forest for next week

Finished July in the Hague with a 5k ish run (will check before I do an end of month table) promptly followed by 10 days of nothing. :eek: Not sure what happened. I've been feeling great, enjoying the training, no injuries, tired but the satisfied after a day at the beach type tired rather than eyes on stalks, mainlining coffee kind of tired, my nails, skin and hair have all been in great condition and last week I just broke.

My routine was out because of a summer school / conference, my diet wasn't entirely in my control but mostly I think I just didn't sleep - was lucky if I got 5 hours any given night and despite having all my gear with me I just couldn't run. My skin was also not impressed, cue many spots. I know it was mental as well as physical but I can't explain it.

Anyway, now back in my own bed, have had a decent night sleep or two and went out this morning for the 6.5k on the plan. First 2k or so felt like my brain and body weren't talking to each other and I felt very uncoordinated but in the middle of the 3rd k something clicked and I was back to normal - enjoyed the run.

This week was a step back week in a mini taper for the FD 10 mile next week so I hope to do Saturday's LSR according to the plan and hopefully pick myself up and continue after this mini break!

I am in London for a week at the end of this month for another conference so really hoping I sleep there - can't really afford another week off :(

Gosh, that sounds rough, Spaceylou! I'm like a demon if I don't get my sleep. Can't imagine surviving, never mind running, on 5 hours a night :eek:. Sounds like you're getting back in to the groove anyway. Onwards!

• Advertisement

Bungy Girl wrote: »
    Gosh, that sounds rough, Spaceylou! I'm like a demon if I don't get my sleep. Can't imagine surviving, never mind running, on 5 hours a night :eek:. Sounds like you're getting back in to the groove anyway. Onwards!

Thanks G, not sure why I didn't sleep but as you say, onwards!! Was just catching up on your log as well - congrats on latest exploits, some impressive running!

Friday was a rest day and Saturday the planned LST of 22.5k. I struggled and having already passed my bf at 20.?? with shouts of, "I'll be back - just two more k to go" I stopped when I saw him at 22.12. At the time, I was a little disheartened that I found it so tough but in hindsight and looking over the garmin data - I ran the first 11km too fast, my legs were bound to be tired jumping back into plan after more than a week off, AND the route was a lot more hilly than any of my Dublin runs. Also it was just my legs were tired - rest of me felt grand. Hadn't even finished the water I brought, and my tummy which is often a bit iffy after a big effort was grand - stomached a sausage blaa no problem :D

I relieved the legs with a quick dip in the ocean - super refreshing, felt great and made me wish I lived nearer the sea and could take up sea swimming.

Sunday - recovery run didn't happen. Niece's christening was on and I was up late Saturday night finishing the cake and making sandwiches and then up early to go decorate the venue, bring the food etc. By the time it was all over I had drunk a few glasses of wine, was wrecked and figured rest would be more beneficial.

Totals

July came in at 180km - most I've ever run in a month :eek:
    Week ending 14 Aug - 29k

Week Ahead

Follow the plan, get back into routine and FD 10 at the weekend

Week beginning 15 August

Monday: rest (planned)

Tuesday: 7k easy with some strides in toward the end avg pace 6:43/km

Wednesday: rest (unplanned) - skipped it in the morning and then didn't get home from work until after 8:30 and was famished.

Thursday: 9km easy this evening at avg 6:28/km there were maybe two or three km that were a bit fast but I concentrated on keeping it slow after that.

Rest of week: think another rest day tomorrow before FD 10 mile on Saturday. Not sure what to expect for this. Weather is meant to be unpleasant and the route a tad hilly but what is a mere 16k these days? Haha!! Think I will take it easy enough for first km, let congestion ease a bit before settling into a rhythm. Jack Daniels suggests based on my 10k time that I can do it in just over an hour and a half with avg pace of 5:48/km. Think that might be a tad too fast at the moment so am going to aim for between 6:15 (PMP) and 6:00/km picking up the pace as the race progresses if my legs are able. Also going to walk through the water stations, it is easier and probably what i will do in Oct.

On the bright side, I've never raced this distance before so even if I walk I'll get a pb :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck for Saturday! :D

The best of luck tomorrow L, have a super race :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Good luck tomorrow, it's always good knowing you're guaranteed a pb!

Good luck for Saturday! :D
    Firedance wrote: »
    The best of luck tomorrow L, have a super race :)
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow, it's always good knowing you're guaranteed a pb!

Thanks you guys! TFGR - you are running as well right? Novice meet up is at the Airtricity tent after the race if you want to pop by, say hi, give any tips for the main event!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck L, PB all the way:)

Go for it! Have a good one :D

Preparation

I don't feel that I had a great lead up to this, between a week off and then the past week I had a few late nights and super long days in work. Friday evening, I laid out all my gear, pinned on the race number to my top, packed warm stuff for after the race and had an early night.

Saturday morning was up, had breakfast, coffee and headed off to the park. Was parked by 8:50. Walked up to start area from car park, checked out where the bag drop was and found the portoloos. Did a slow 2k for warm up followed by some standing mrytle and a few drills but it was really just miserable so got back into the car, removed some layers, donned my bag liner and headed up to the bag drop, another quick trip to the loo and cowered under a tree for a few minutes before the off.

The weather was awful, strong winds, rain, I was a little cold and wet but all I could think was that "I get to do this" - not I have to but I get to - got a little emotional thinking about a friend of the family who was in an accident a few weeks ago and broke his back - the doctors are saying he won't walk again and this is a guy who is super active, always out running, cycling etc etc. But anyway - the race!

The Plan

My plan was to stick at PMP (6:15/km) or faster but to run more or less by feel. I also planned to walk through the water stations because I'll end up doing this at the marathon.

KM 1 - 2/First mile or so
    Found the start very confusing. Two stewards I had asked said there was waves and there was a sign for wave one. Then I thought the commentator said no waves but figured I must have heard wrong when he started to say why waves are important! I was still under my tree when I realised that it was all one large wave so I found a gap in the barriers and joined in - probably a small bit too far back but not too bad. Eventually shuffled through the start line to discover my watch and gone back to resting screen so I am not sure the first km measured properly and it was a bit ahead for the whole race then as a result.

First mile was quite slow, very very congested but I didn't bother wasting any energy weaving, just when I was in danger of being tripped.

Km 1: 6:28; KM 2: 6:13

Miles 2 - 3

Started to spread out a bit more here, these flew along, we were mostly downhill - don't remember a whole lot about these.

KM: 3: 5:48; KM 4: 5:53; KM 5:6:15

Miles 4 - 5
    Walked through the water station taking on a little glass/cup - swear the commentator at the start said there would be bottles. Contemplated not stopping as I wasn't desperate for water but decided better to take it on than not. I slowed a wee bit during this section but not much - maybe we were going up hill a little? Apart from the awful hill towards the end I didn't really notice any hills along the way. Have a vague recollection of thinking - cool, half way there. I don't know this part of the park at all - ended up running without a group for bits of this.

Km 6: 5:58; KM 7: 6:16 (slowest of the race); KM 8: 5:53

Miles 6 - 7
    More of the same really, walked through the water station, got a shout out from Anna (thanks), although all I could muster was a wave. Around the 6 mile mark as we turned back toward chesterfield avenue I was on my own again with no group and finding it tough so I set my sights on a woman in an orange top just ahead, she was also without a group but I figured if I could pass her, then I could catch up with the group ahead. Gave myself until mile 7 to catch her. She obviously had similar ideas because while I hadn't quite caught her by mile 7 I was on her shoulder and we were with the group. Didn't worry about not having passed her, her purpose had been served.

KM 9: 6:06; KM 10: 6:14; KM 11: 6:14

Miles 8 - 9
    Was lovely going down Chesterfield and spotted my BF just where we turned off when bam - the wind!! This was tough, tried to tuck in behind some others but the wind just got you no matter where you were, so decided to abandon that plan, and play reel them in - if I was feeling the wind, everyone was feeling the wind! Got a few and I passed orange top woman. She came back though and we played a little cat and mouse. Was very relieved to cut across the path at the top of upper glen road - I had thought the route brought us back down to go up the hill we had run down earlier.

Km 12: 5:46; Km 13: 5:59; Km 14: 5:48

Mile 10

Ah the hill - well that was unpleasant at the end, although tbh, I thought there were going to be more hills so I can't really complain. I slowed the pace, kept the effort going, and think I passed a few but also got passed by some. Somewhere around here, orange woman passed me and on the hill she kinda got away - well we couldn't have any of that now could we! So I figured there was only about a km left so decided to go for it. Caught up with her as we turned the corner for the home straight along furze road. Except I couldn't see the finish - I guess with the winds they couldn't put the usual thingy up. Anyway, I may have said out loud "where is the f**king finish?" and orange top woman kindly pointed out the green pop up thingy and said it was there, I thanked her and legged it. Didn't see her again :D

Km 15: 6:12; Km 16: 6:37; 200m (cause of dodgy start) 1:03

Post Race
    Staggered through the finishing shoot thingy, got a banana and my goody bag, some water - really not enough though but again only the stupid cups! On to the mayhem of bag collection. Seems like it was particularly bad. I couldn't stay waiting, started to feel a bit iffy so went to see if anyone from the novices was at the tent. Just singer and his lovely wife, so said hello and chatted for a few minutes before heading back to bag drop. Eventually got my bag with my choc milk and water. Everything was wet though so just headed for the car, home and the shower!

Got a text with my time 1:37:35 - a pb (cause I've never raced this distance before). In those conditions don't think I could have gone much faster but on a better day think I could shave a minute or so off easily enough.

Lessons Learned
    • Don't cut arm holes in black sack - otherwise my arms get cold and wet waiting in the rain
    • Do a proper reccy on the course - there were too many bits I didn't know
    • Put clothes for afterwards in a plastic bag so they don't get wet
    • If BF coming to the end of the race - avoid bag drop altogether
    • Keep running by feel :)

All in all, happy with how I paced it but on a more gentle day would expect a faster time.

• Advertisement

Well done, sounds like you actually enjoyed it. sorry to read about your friend's accident, it must be a very difficult time for him, his family & friends.

Wouldn't say I enjoyed it as such but the warm-up and waiting around before and after were worse than the actual race if that makes sense!

very quite around these part! hope all is well and training is going to plan L.

Thanks Anne...just about to do an update of sorts - it has been middling I would say!

I am not sure if I was going to come down with something anyway or if the wet conditions on the day played a big part but I ended up ill the week after the race - no energy, new found capacity for extensive sleeping and awful headaches. Was sensible and didn't run (or do much else really) for a few days. Last week I was in London for a conference so eased myself back into it with a few runs in Hyde Park. Found the heat/humidity tough though and like it wasn't *that* hot so figure I wasn't back to 100 percent.

Got back Monday evening this week and have slotted back into the plan. 13k easy this morning was grand, took it nice and handy, although did have to walk for a minute after attempting the steps from the duck pond in Bushy Park rather than the path - doh! On the bright side there are no steps in DCM.

Where am I now?

DCM is 7.5 weeks away or 36 runs (of varying lengths) a half marathon race (to be run at PMP I think, rather than trying to PB) and the main event itself. I have missed a few long (and short) runs but I think my real issue is recovery and giving my body a chance to keep on top of everything so the plan is this:

1. Do the 36 training runs and concentrate on slow pace. If I would be better served by rest on some of the Recovery Days so be it.
    2. Run the half at PMP and leave any PB attempts until Dec (Waterford) or next year
    3. Go to bed by 10:30 every night AND turn off my phone.
    4. Learn to say no and be a boring nelly for the next 7.5 weeks, and possibly the few days after DCM :D
    5. Schedule naps for days I have a long run or mid-week medium run.
    6. Be very fuel aware - food, drinks etc - making sure that not only am I eating enough (probably not a problem) but that I am eating the right stuff.
    7. Figure out how to do all that while keeping on top of work and house stuff - think bf might be doing more than usual for the next two months!! :cool:

Sure what could go wrong!! :rolleyes:

Ahhh - seems like I have no time these days for updating my log. Will check my watch later and put up paces etc but a summary of the last week:

Thur - 6.5k easy
    Fri - rest (planned)
    Sat - 30k
    Sun - rest (not entirely planned, but was in Kilkenny with the in laws and there was stuff on and I just never got out)
    Mon - rest (planned)
    Tues - 10k easy

The LSR on Saturday was the longest I have ever run! :D Plan called for 32k but as I missed some of the other long runs in the past few weeks my goal was to run further than my previous longest run (24k), ideally hitting 30k and if all was fantastic to go to 32k. I also wanted to test my fueling strategy for DCM.

First few km were too fast cause I was annoyed - just heading out the door and my mother decides to tell me how she doesn't approve of me training for the marathon, it takes too much time, I am not able for it (this was both a mixture of me personally and all women) yada yada yada... :mad:

Anyway, once the rage had subsided I settled down into a nice pace. After 1:15 I took my first ever gel. High-5 caffeine free summer berries. The texture is a bit yick but taste wasn't so bad. Drank some water and apart from a short lived sugar rush, thankfully without any subsequent crash, it was fine. Got to 20k just over an hour later and decided to nip into the loo at the public toilets in Tramore. This may have been a mistake, although I am not sure I would have lasted another 1hr + before really having to go. Came out of the loo and took a second gel - this one was citrus flavour, marginally nicer but not sure I'll ever get used to the texture. Found it hard to get going again after the pit stop, pace slowed considerably for this last 10k, and I was suffering - or rather my legs were. I did a few body checks and nothing hurt as such, I didn't feel wiped out (I guess the gels worked) and my heart and lungs weren't working too hard. But my leg muscles were fatiguing and I had to really concentrate on not letting my shoulders tense up.

Finished the 30k on the road into my mothers. Stopped running pretty much as soon as the watch beeped and walked the c. km back to the house. Once i had stretched, showered and eaten I felt fine. All in all, not a bad morning's work.

For the remaining LSRs I want to run as much of the DCM course as possible and test out clothes for the day. The shorts I usually run in, start to chaff after about 20k so they are out but I am not sure I want to wear 3/4 lengths - they are very warm!! But my other shorts are VERY short so not sure I'd have the nerve to wear them. Might try them out on my 5k this Thursday. I'll go out early so as to not scandalise too many people. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Errr on the people telling you you can't do what you want to do!

Re: chafing...get hold of a tube of body glide and that should do the job, holds up really well in the rain as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Well done on LSR, how are you doing now?

I always wore and trained in 3/4 lengths. Am not a fan of short, shorts.

For DCM I trained in 7" Nike Filament shorts which were grand in training. On the day they started to rub so thanks to a wonderful Sister between mile 13 and 16 she bought me vaseline and an antihistamine.

diego_b wrote: »
    Errr on the people telling you you can't do what you want to do!

Re: chafing...get hold of a tube of body glide and that should do the job, holds up really well in the rain as well.

Its just so annoying, cause normally my mum is great and reckons I can do whatever I set my mind to - mind you in the past that was always work/college stuff - maybe she just thinks I'm all brain and no brawn! :D:D

• Advertisement

aquinn wrote: »
    Well done on LSR, how are you doing now?

For DCM I trained in 7" Nike Filament shorts which were grand in training. On the day they started to rub so thanks to a wonderful Sister between mile 13 and 16 she bought me vaseline and an antihistamine.

A, I understand what the vaseline was for but the antihistamine?

And I am grand after LSR and today's 10k. Paying more attention to fueling seems to be helping - tomorrow's 18k with a large number at pace will no doubt test me somewhat :rolleyes:

A, I understand what the vaseline was for but the antihistamine?

And I am grand after LSR and today's 10k. Paying more attention to fueling seems to be helping - tomorrow's 18k with a large number at pace will no doubt test me somewhat :rolleyes:

I didn't want to irritate it further by continuing to adjust shorts or scratch so took the antihistamine so I didn't cause any further damage. It could have been the heat on the day.

aquinn wrote: »

This used to be me too, I ran DCM in 3/4 lengths in 400 degree heat (yes, slight exaggeration..:p) now i nearly always run in shorts except for my lunch runs and that's purely an office thing. Wear what you're comfortable in and don't give a toss what anyone else thinks :D

Glad to see you back on the training wagon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Its just so annoying, cause normally my mum is great and reckons I can do whatever I set my mind to - mind you in the past that was always work/college stuff - maybe she just thinks I'm all brain and no brawn! :D:D

Explain to her that with the LSRs you are actually training your brain as much as your body, each of those hurdles as you gradually increase the distance/time you run for will stand to you on the day. I am sure she's just worried for you like any Ma would but there will be few people more proud of you than her on DCM day.

Well done, great to see your longest distance was achieved and you are in good nick after it. Yes the mammies always worry no matter what...its their/our job!! My Mam has given up giving out to me;) .

I use the Heatons Karrimor shorts, they are not short and not tight and have a great big pocket in the back. During races I wear my EVB tighter ones under them for extra support. You might be able to get a pair on Sports Direct and try them out.

Thanks for all the tips on shorts...I think I know what I'll be doing tomorrow :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

The week so far:

Monday - Rest
    Tuesday - 10k easy - grand, done, don't remember much about it

Wednesday - 17.5k with 14.5 at pace. Well that was a disaster! Due to lots of reasons didn't get out until late, later than I thought and so only half an hour in I really started to feel paranoid about being seen because I had no hi-viz on! Doh! Was following the marathon route from terenure through milltown, clonskeagh etc with a vague plan to cut back through UCD but I never got that far. 6k into the pace section, I just couldn't do it. I am not sure what happened but my brain went, said no, so I stopped for a minute at which point my head got dizzy and my tummy started complaining...I did try and restart but in the end I pulled the plug and rang home to come and get collected. Had about a 1.5k cool down as I walked/jogged back towards home. Felt awful afterwards, had a shower, some choc milk and went to bed! As the OH pointed out, I haven't had any awful runs during the training and I was bound to have at least one so better to have it done with - he has a funny way of looking at stuff sometimes but it did make me feel better.

Thursday - plan called for 5k recovery but after failing to do the full distance on Wednesday I added a small bit and did 6.5k easy. Legs were pretty tired. Glad today is a rest day.

Saturday's LSR I am going to run the same section of the marathon route that I tried on Wednesday so that I can run past the spot where I stopped and scatter any demons!

Can't remember how the rest of that week went, haven't synced my watch in weeks and am sooooo far behind on all the various threads including my own log!

Dublin Half Marathon
    Ran the Dublin half on Saturday, was tough! Prep wasn't great, crappy sleep, running spectacularly late on Saturday morning, probably not sufficiently hydrated on Friday; several easy runs ran too fast and it all adds up! Legs felt dead after about 4 miles despite up until then feeling great, stopped to walk was really contemplating stopping. Luckily the wonderful Anna from round these parts was passing so I joined her, we had some chats, the next few km flew past (although I think we weren't exactly speedy) got a bit of a rhythm going, took a gel (race day practice), and then said good bye a km or so after the half way mark....sped up a bit but never regained the pace I'd set at the start, but still never stopped to walk either. Thank you Anna for getting me going again!! Don't think she realised how awful I was feeling.

Saw my BF cheering at around the 10 mile mark, so happy to see him, gave me a little cheer. He popped up again on the finishing straight which really helped to spur me on, but also made me cry a little - clearly I was an emotional wreck as the sight of people with first aiders also brought a tear to my eye, as did some overheard conversations about sick kids and other random stuff.

Came in at 2:16 - not a pb but not the slowest either. Plan was to do it around PMP which on average I think I achieved as the plan for full is 4:30 but I clearly was TOO FAST in the first few miles and paid for it the rest of the race. That is all well and good over short distances but can't be doing that in longer races. So hopefully lesson learnt for Oct.

Random Post Race Thoughts

1. I've said it before, I'll probably say it again - need to slow down my easy runs.
    2. On the big day, I need to make sure I run the first half super conservatively - I want to enjoy it and won't if I kill myself in the first 10k.
    3. Gels are awful sticky but the texture grows on you.
    4. People are great - there was a woman on a bike that seemed to pop up every few km to cheer people on, and like really heartfelt cheers. She was also handing out jelly babies or similar at one stage.
    5. I love when the water is in bottles and not cups on the course.
    6. Body glide is great - shorts were worn, shorts got wet, still no chaffing :D
    7. I need more sleep. I cry when I am tired and pretty much anything would have set me off by 12:30 on Saturday.

So all in all, a tough race for me, but happy to have finished, some lessons learned, I like the blue t-shirt and was pretty happy about the voucher for AK as I was planning a visit out there anyway this week or next :D

Can you set your garmin to run at a particular pace? That way it will beep at you if you're going to fast. Well done on sticking with it on Saturday, sounds like it wasn't fun but love all the lessons learned :) If you slow right down your easy runs between now and DCM you will have a much better experience on the day, that's a certainty.

I thought it was really weird Anna was running with a friend, only found out after it was you.

Well done on Saturday, glad the short shorts and bodyglide all worked out. Scary thing to try, short shorts eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Firedance wrote: »
    Can you set your garmin to run at a particular pace? That way it will beep at you if you're going to fast. Well done on sticking with it on Saturday, sounds like it wasn't fun but love all the lessons learned :) If you slow right down your easy runs between now and DCM you will have a much better experience on the day, that's a certainty.

I have tried that but even when I leave the range nice and wide it drives me crazy...usually goes something like this:

I start off too fast, watch beeps at me, I slow down...but not a fast enough transition so watch keeps beeping at me for the next few minutes. I eventually think I've slowed down enough to keep the watch happy only for it to start beeping that I am going to slow so I speed up a bit...and for a few minutes I hit the sweet spot of keeping the watch happy :cool: until i have to speed up slightly to catch a green man; avoid a stupid dog or similar and the watch goes mental at me again, so I slow down and maybe have to cross the road which causes me to pause for a moment, not enough to warrant pausing the watch but enough for my pace to slow enough for it to beep at me again...:mad: and so on we go alternating between too fast and too slow, with me scaring passers by as I mutter and curse at my wrist and eventually stop the workout and press start on just a run with no settings :mad::mad: or if I know where I am and how far it is to home, I just turn the watch off and we don't talk to each other for several days.

But I could try it again I suppose....

• Advertisement
Advertisement