Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Four Year Plan

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

aquinn wrote: »
    I thought it was really weird Anna was running with a friend, only found out after it was you.

Well done on Saturday, glad the short shorts and bodyglide all worked out. Scary thing to try, short shorts eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Haha, thanks A. But those weren't the short shorts, they were just shorts :o Thanks to the body glide I have decided to keep the short shorts for around the house until I transform into a size 6 beach wear model :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

^^^:D :D:D ^^^ I hear ya!! I had a few of those episodes myself! Some garmins have a virtual pacer but I don't think the 220 has it (I think we have the same watch?) No, don't put yourself through it, it's not worth it! How about rewarding yourself with a treat if you keep below a certain average pace :p

Firedance wrote: »
    ^^^:D :D:D ^^^ I hear ya!! I had a few of those episodes myself! Some garmins have a virtual pacer but I don't think the 220 has it (I think we have the same watch?) No, don't put yourself through it, it's not worth it! How about rewarding yourself with a treat if you keep below a certain average pace :p

Yeah I've the 220.

I like your thinking...a treat! I am supposed to be eating clean from now to the end of Oct but I think if I manage to run slow enough I should get chocolate - just a little bit of good quality dark stuff, sure 'tis practically healthy! :p

Monday: following Firedance's suggestion that I bribe myself to run slow enough I managed to do just this. Tired legs after Saturday's efforts may have also contributed. Plan 6.5k easy; Actual 6.6k easy with all km splits as well as average pace being in the slow and easy range. Had some choc to celebrate.

Tuesday: Planned Rest

Wednesday: When I left the house it was bright, it was sunny, it was warm, birds were chirping and there was still a trace of summer in the air. By the time I got home two hours later, it was dark, it was windy, oh so very windy, it was cold and it was lashing rain! Winter had arrived. Last weekend's race still in the legs so keeping the pace slow wasn't really a problem. Ran the section of the marathon route from Terenure to Nutley lane before peeling off to head home via Donnybrook, Ranelagh, Rathmines. I always thought of this section as being fairly up-hill but its actually down and up, down and up, down and up so there will be respite from the ups - imagine by the time I get to Roebuck on race day though, I will feel the inclines!

As was only a two hour run (only two hours - check me out!) no gels etc just water, which I didn't finish. In hindsight this was a mistake as was not drinking enough during the day but more of that anon. Found the last few km tough but then again legs were tired, I was dehydrated, I was being rained on and I was getting hungry. Plan 17.5k easy; Actual 17.5k easy

The aftermath: pretty much as soon as I stopped my body realised what I had done and went on strike, especially my tummy. Very odd and loud noises emminating from my vicinity all evening, only managed a few mouthfuls of dinner and those I really had to force down. Drank a pint of water with one of the electrolyte, re-hydration tablet yokes desolved in it - yuck but did help. Dehydration definitely a problem, finding it hard to drink enough now that temperatures are falling a little, more herbal teas I think. Off to bed by 10:15 and a restless night's sleep. Tummy still in a heap this morning but also hungry even after a big bowl of porridge for breakfast so trying to find easily digestible but healthy snacks in the office. Suggestions are welcome cause the corn cakes in my drawer just aren't cutting it right now! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Great going on a Wed evening.

Try a dialorite sachet rather than shoving water into you. I like the blackcurrant. On race mornings I had it with my porridge. Drink it before you go out on a training run. You only need a small bit of water with it or have one during the day.

Thanks A, can't stand the blackcurrent myself - more of an orange fan not that any of them are what could be described as 'tasty'. Hadn't thought of drinking dialorite pre-run, usually what I resort to after the damage is done so might try being pro-active and take one tomorrow eve in advance of Saturday's run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Hey Lou, good to see you on Saturday. Enjoyed running with you, and yes we were slow!! But I think we distracted each other for a bit :)

Good lessons learned for you ahead of the main event...

Thursday: Plan - 8k recovery; Actual - nada
    After Wednesday left me in a heap I decided it was unwise to try run at 6:30am on Thursday morning and by the time I got home at 10pm I was only fit for bed.

Friday: Plan - rest; Actual - rest

Saturday: Plan - LSR 32k; Actual - rest - the day just got away from me! :o

Sunday: Plan - 3k Recovery; Actual - With nothing to recover from I did 32.4km. That 0.4 is of huge psychological importance to me as now on race day, the unknown, never run before distance will be in single digits :D

Most of this was on the marathon route or close to the marathon route although I seem to have missed a hill in Ballyfermot/near Ballyfermot so going to have to refresh my mapping skills and try that section again - do not want any surprise hills on the day.

Legs were exhausted afterwards and super achy BUT all tired aches and no injury aches which is encouraging. Had a little nap post run, followed by a wonderful shower, food and an afternoon of 'not a whole lot'. This morning still a little achy but hope a walk at lunch time and some foam-rolling this evening will sort that out.

Only 4 weeks to go am a mixture of impatient, excited, terrified and in awe that my body can do this!

Oh log, I am very sorry for the neglect but between running and work I haven't had a moment.

I can't remember exactly what I did over the past few weeks so here are the highlights and low points.

An LSR got pulled about 4k in due to dizzy spell. Not sure what happened, fine afterwards although exhausted, might have been a blood sugar thing, might just be a crock!

Bought lovely new Mizuno Wave Inspire in blue to replace my current 'second pair' of runners as post marathon my current Wave Inspire (in purple) will become the seconds and the current seconds are gone in the bin!!

New runners meant a run on the dreadmill - euck! But on the bright side lets chalk it down to humidity training cause the gym was stifling and gross!

Ran from Harold's Cross to Marley Park this Saturday. I do not know the hill in Ballyfermot on the marathon route but it is surely not any worse than the drag up from Rathfarnham followed by the steep hill to bring you up to Marley...and even if it is, I have run up the awful hill by Deer Park - I can take it (just not with any level of speed).

There were many runs around Terenure, I miss running in day light, fallen chestnuts on dark footpaths are the bane of my life and people need to start wearing hi-viz gear!!

I will update monthly totals etc when I get a chance to sync my watch.

DCM is this Sunday, hard to believe it is so close. I know I can finish, not so sure about the time. Have been training for 4:30 secretly hoping for closer to 4:20. I've done the two longest runs on the plan but I have missed other runs so not sure the endurance AND speed are in the legs. After the debacle of the half am also very very very nervous about going out too fast! Currently trying to decide between the following pacing strategies:

1. Start near 4:30 pacers, keep them in my sights and depending on energy levels around UCD either start to move away or concentrate on keeping up.

2. Start slower than the 4:30 pacers and do the 10/10/10 strategy So first 10 miles 6:30/km; Second 10 miles 6:20/km; Last 10k 6:15/km

Both get me in within about a minute of each other and to be honest, my main aim is to finish with a smile on my face and not feel broken - exhausted, sure but not broken. Given my worries about going to fast, I wonder should I try the 10/10/10 strategy and if I end up faster than the planned pace DO NOT PASS the 4:30 pacers until UCD or so, otherwise they will run nice and steady and pass me out when I pay for going to fast. Still at least the crowds should keep me in check too! So much to freak out about!! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Start at the back of the 4.30 pace group keeping them in your sights but not worrying about catching them. Then start to push on a bit and get nearer to them from halfway. When you catch them then use their support to bring you the rest of the way in and you'll have you sub 4.30 because of the time difference at the beginning! If you're feeling good you can ease by them.

This was the strategy I used for my sub 4.00 using the 4 he pacers in the same way. Passed them at the RDS and came in in 3.57 as I'd a cushion built up at the start. Using same strategy with the 3.50 pacers on Sunday.

Whatever happens, main thing is to enjoy and don't worry too much about the time. It's your first so relish it!! See you after for a catch up.

• Advertisement

Thanks for tips Anne - sounds like a fairly reasonable strategy - am totally overthinking it! Haha! And definitely my number 1 aim is to cross that finish line with a smile on my face, ideally with the body still feeling intact!

Felt like such a fraud heading out this morning for a mere 3k - like it was hardly worth putting on a technical top :D First out door run for the new runners though - lovely and light.

Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aUnVZTQOg&feature=youtu.be

made me cry...am gonna be an emotional wreck come Sunday!

Mon: rest (planned) with 45 min stretching and foam rolling

Tues: 3k run (mentioned above) with 45 min stretching and foam rolling

Wed: Rest (unplanned) - picked up BF's cold :( Was due to work from home so spent the day on the couch with a stready stream of hot drinks, vit C, lemon, ginger, honey, soup etc and paracetamol, seems to be more or less working - fingers crossed.

Thur: Woke up with still a bit of a sore throat but nose is clear, chest is clear, headache is faint and blocked ears is back to my "normal" level (have a thing with intermittent ear ache that doc can never find anything wrong with). Going to continue with hot drinks in the office today and go for 5 - 6k easy this evening.

In other taper planning I am banking sleep, eating well, staying well hydrated, watching where I walk, avoiding heavy lifting and putting my feet up in the evening - just three more days and weather is looking like it will suit me :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Best of Luck Spacylou, hope the cold has cleared by Sunday and have a great race and enjoy every minute of it!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

spaceylou wrote: »
    Just watched this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-aUnVZTQOg&feature=youtu.be

made me cry...am gonna be an emotional wreck come Sunday!

You're not on your own there L, and I'm not running!!!!! Have knots in my stomach with nerves for all you guys, I really really hope you have a fantastic day, regardless of time enjoy your very first marathon, see you afterwards in McGrattans :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

Best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck to you Spaceylou, hope you enjoy the experience and have a good race!

Younganne wrote: »
    Best of Luck Spacylou, hope the cold has cleared by Sunday and have a great race and enjoy every minute of it!!

You too Anne, you've put in some great training!
    chickey2 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're doing all the right things! Best of luck!

Thanks chickey, fingers crossed - feeling better even since I wrote earlier...touch wood not ginxing myself
    Firedance wrote: »
    You're not on your own there L, and I'm not running!!!!! Have knots in my stomach with nerves for all you guys, I really really hope you have a fantastic day, regardless of time enjoy your very first marathon, see you afterwards in McGrattans :)

Awh AM, you guys are the best mentors - thanks! Yeah, looking forward to McGrattans, I'll either be very tipsey or asleep after a beer :D
    tailgunner wrote: »
    Best of luck!

Thanks - can't keep track of everyone who's running on Sunday so if you are, best of luck
    diego_b wrote: »
    Best of luck to you Spaceylou, hope you enjoy the experience and have a good race!

Thanks diego - think you are running :confused: in which case, hope you have a great day too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

Good luck for Sunday! Enjoy the race and the atmosphere! I'll be on the sidelines cheering for you!

Good luck for Sunday! Enjoy the race and the atmosphere! I'll be on the sidelines cheering for you!

Thanks a million, hope to see you in McGrattans if I can hobble that far afterwards!! Haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Have a great race L, hope you enjoy it!

Singer wrote: »
    Have a great race L, hope you enjoy it!

Thanks B, hope you do to and meet your target. Hope to see you in McGrattans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Good luck tomorrow spaceylou :)

mel.b wrote: »
    Good luck tomorrow spaceylou :)

Thanks Mel, just want to get it done now!!

• Advertisement

Far too long since there was a table round these parts!

| 2015|2016
    Jan|?|52.32
    Feb|?|93.96
    Mar|13.65|67.25
    Apr|70.77|33.25
    May|27.41|69.52
    Jun|123.11|17.99
    July|52.36|180.73
    Aug|20.24|90.37
    Sep|17.53|136.01
    Oct|21.75|
    Nov|11.03|
    Dec|12.29|
    Total|370.14|

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

And good luck to you too! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Bungy Girl

Best of luck Spaceylou ! That sub 4:30 strategy sounds like a good one. But most of all enjoy the race and the atmosphere, it'll be awesome!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭jake1970

Best of luck tomorrow L. Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Very best of luck tomorrow L!!!! Will be looking out for you on the course or in McG's. hope it all goes to plan!!

• Advertisement

On phone so can't multi quote, thanks all, off to bed shortly and then, not sure how this happened but it'll be marathon day!!

Hope to be in McGrattan's afterwards.... eventually :)

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭FIFA2004

Good luck tomorrow!

I got my C goal (finish with a smile on my face), time not amazing and if you'd asked me at 9 this morning if I'd be okay with 5:08 I would have said, no way.... But really honestly, I fecked up the pacing, suffered from about half way but enjoyed the overall experience and am so happy to be finished. Plus this gives me plenty of room for improvement whenever I do it again.

Also major kudos has to go to the crowds... Tis one thing cheering for the elites and speedy folk but by the time I was finishing, felt a bit more walking dead than chariots of fire and they were still cheering, offering jellies and high fives... amazing stuff!!

Anyway sleep now, proper report in next day or two.

The Training

I followed (kinda) the Boards plan. I started off great, a few conference trips threw me off balance and out of routine and after those I don’t think I ever really fully got back into it. My motivation was lacking in parts, and I missed (in hindsight) too many runs even if I did finish the two longest runs. Tapering I handled pretty well although did have to fight off a cold in final week. I ran too fast for lots of the easy miles on the plan and many weeks sufficient sleep was not had. On the bright side nutrition was generally good and I suffered no injuries.

Preparation

Went to the Expo on Friday, took it easy on Saturday, ate well, hydrated well and got a great night’s sleep both Friday and Saturday (that extra hour really helped). Morning of the race, up early, porridge - breakfast of champions followed with toast and green tea. Sipped minimal water at home, final check of gear and trip to loo before getting dropped into city by BF, arrived at Holles Street around 7:55. Followed crowd around to start area, queued for loo, deposited bag at bag drop, made my way to pens, jogged a wee bit, did some standing myrtle to loosen out the legs, got into pen (I think), queued for another loo – this time queue was super long – 30min! It was 8:57 when I reached topped of queue. Found the start a bit confusing, the pacers were all pretty much together and there seemed to be people with different colours than blue (I was in wave three). Anyway, heard wave two head off and suddenly we were moving along as I am trying to dispose of my water bottle and take off my hoodie.

The Race
    And then we were off!!

KM 1 – 5
    Congestion was not as bad as I thought it would be, so tipped along nicely, a bit too nicely as it would turn out. Crowds were great, didn’t love the steep hill down to the quays. Grabbed a water at the station in Stoneybatter – all good so far, although seriously, my mantra all week had been that I would start slow and easy, run conservatively and well within myself, I was not really doing this. Garmin Time 32:26

KM 6 – 10
    Most of this was in the Park, more great crowds, including the zoo’s mascot. Some funny signs along here, still had water from first water station but it was tad warm so ditched it for a fresh bottle at the water station on Chesterfield Ave, it wasn’t open though and couldn’t get the darn thing open cause my hands were wet. Luckily wonderful BF was along here so he opened bottle for me :) Took first gel and plenty of water after 9KM, still feeling good. I know garmins are not as exact as a measured course and in a large field like this we are highly unlikely to run the race line exactly but from the first 5k marker I seemed about 250m ahead the official distance. Official Time: 1:05:41

KM 11 – 15
    The crowds in Castleknock were amazing, a little too amazing. All their good cheer and the downhill from the village back into Knockmaroon Gate and then down through the Park had me doing my fastest KM of the race – what was I bloody well thinking? I mean all along I knew I was slightly ahead of target on each KM split but every time I saw that I was going too fast, I did slow down…I just kept bloody well speeding up again. Garmin Time at 15 – 1:36:20

KM 16 – 20
    Coming out of Chapelizod and under the by-pass thingy was my least favourite part of the course. Wish I had run it before. Think I counted around here for something to distract myself. The hill I had heard so much about wasn’t so bad. Just dropped the pace and maintained the effort, think I might have passed people – what was I thinking? Pace slowed a little in this section but nothing too bad. Took an isogel at 18km. Garmin Time at 20: 2:09:03

KM 21 – 25
    Started to feel it around here, really wishing for half way point, have run this section a million times, hill, well drag really was okay ish, think I might have walked for the water station, can’t really remember. Came through half way at 2:17:54. Realised I was behind for 4:30, which was okay so reassessed and decided to try for 4:40. Gotta keep going, getting tougher and tougher, wonder who won. Garmin time: 2:44:32

KM 26 – 30
    Oh wow, wheels are coming off, saw BF on Kimmage Road West and I stopped – he gave me little pep talk and I started off again. Had a gel around here as well but don’t really remember it. Found crowds at KCR too much along with the music – it was very loud, was glad of my ear muff/headband here. I train around here and Fortfield Road has never felt so long. Tried to keep going, knew once I turned at Bushy Park I’d have a downhill bit where I always speed up a little even when trying not to – didn’t really work this time and I walked for a bit between Terenure and Rathgar. Official Time at 30: 3:27:12 think 4:40 might be gone, maths not my strong point.

KM 31 – 35
    Yeah really not getting any better here but not finishing is not an option; begin to think about walking the rest if I have to. Know I can finish but it won’t be pretty. Feeling very emotional in this section. Am determined to be running when I pass Nop and Firedance, and I am (barely) but they don’t recognise me and I am too tired to explain who I am, just keep plodding along. Stop to walk just before water station on Clonskeagh with a plan to walk to end of water section and then pick it up again, except something in my ass goes pop, sharp pain, gluts are not happy at all at all. Starting running again, a little further on than intended. Figuring that I was going to be out for a good bit longer than planned, I took my final gel somewhere around 4 hours. Garmin Time at 35: 4:07:57 Try and figure out what I have to do to keep it under 5 hours, wish I was better at maths, think if I keep it under 8 min/km I can still be home under 5 hours – upon reflection the maths wasn’t even right!

KM 35 – 40
    Utter carnage at this point, spot BF on Roebuck Hill, he gives me a big hug and walks with me a little bit, after that knowing that it is all flat or downhill helps a bit. I even started to get into a bit of a rhythm again but my muscles had this weird pre-crampy sensation again so I walked to ease it and my knee which feels like it is swelling. Started running again at the bottom of Nutley Lane and didn’t stop again until the end. Garmin Time at 40: 4:51:00 Unless I get a serious injection of pace I will not get home under 5 hours but am fairly okay with it at this point. My target now is to simply finish, running across that finish line and smiling.

KM 41 – Finish
    Actually picked up the pace a little around here, relatively speaking. Legs were very tired, left knee felt very very sore, was convinced it was swelling and I was going to need to ice it a lot once I got over the line. Support for the final bit was amazing, just kept going – felt so sorry for anyone stopping along here to stretch or rest, there was one guy who was stretching within sight of the finish line, I mean what world of pain must he have been in to have to make a pit stop so close, to not have the energy to just keep going for another few minutes.

Finishing Time: 5:08:21

Post Race Reflections
    In hindsight, my initial target was too ambitious and I started far far far too fast, but most importantly my head just wasn’t in it and when it got tough I wasn’t able to keep focused. Not disappointed in my time, but I really would have liked to have been able to keep running. Also, I feel I could have tried harder, have felt worse after races. Okay I couldn’t stomach beer but everything else was okay and today my legs were stiff but nothing too bad.

Future Plans
    This week recovery with some short super easy runs later in the week

Rest of November
    Continued easy runs for three weeks or so before a week or two with some speed tuning up before attempting a PB at Jingle Bells 5k. Also start addressing some of the stuff I’ve neglected last few months like Pilates and other strength work

December
    From 28 Nov – 28 Dec attempt a running streak, maybe do a few Park Runs and jet off for a month on 28th for some warm weather training down under.

Will think about these goals more carefully in December but I think I want to focus on 5k, 5mile and 10k times and join a club.

My planned pace and my actual pace, as can be seen the wheels came off around the middle section

KM| Plan| Actual| Comment
    1|06:30|06:36|On pace, wasn't worried about being slightly over cause of the crowd
    2|06:30|06:19|Bit fast
    3|06:30|06:20|Bit fast but did have that downhill to the quays
    4|06:30|06:33|Doing okay
    5|06:30|06:36|Smidge uphill along here, figured these 2km made up for last 2 tad too fast and slowed a bit for water stop
    6|06:30|06:21|The park is lovely
    7|06:30|06:19|I was going too fast
    8|06:30|06:33|Park getting boring
    9|06:30|06:43|Water station, slowed me down (pity there wasn't one in every km)
    10|06:30|06:27|Fairly on target
    11|06:30|06:22|Castleknock crowds were great, spurred me on a bit too much
    12|06:30|06:23|even with water
    13|06:30|06:06|Down Hill but still WTF was I doing!! :eek:
    14|06:30|06:19|And here
    15|06:30|06:17|And here
    16|06:30|06:13|And here
    17|06:20|06:41|Hill slowed me down thank christ
    18|06:20|06:31|Oh now that I wanted to pick it up I slow down
    19|06:20|06:31|Still this is okay
    20|06:20|06:45|Starting to feel it
    21|06:20|06:47|Will half way never come
    22|06:20|07:02|And here begins the slow descent into hell, at least I have less to go than I just did
    23|06:20|06:59|Legs can't go any faster
    24|06:20|07:16|Initial target time is blown
    25|06:20|07:23|
    26|06:20|08:34|Saw BF, stopped and walked while he gave me pep talk
    27|06:20|07:20|
    28|06:20|08:11|Tried to reassure myself that I have done this section a million times can do it
    29|06:20|07:38|
    30|06:20|07:56|
    31|06:20|09:47|Walked a bit, legs felt ouchy, pre-crampy if that is a thing
    32|06:20|07:37|At least I am running
    33|06:15|07:33|
    34|06:15|07:31|
    35|06:15|11:14|Something in my ass went pop…those glutes were not happy
    36|06:15|10:39|A hug from BF here gave me heart to continue
    37|06:15|07:37|Starting to get back into a rhythm
    38|06:15|07:33|
    39|06:15|08:39|Knee, pre-crampy muscles and ass all feeling troublesome, walked a little on Nutley Lane
    40|06:15|08:33|Started running again
    41|06:15|07:31|Starting to get back into a rhythm
    42|06:15|07:01|I will run across the finish line
    0.48|06:15|02:52 |I ran across the finish line

Anyway, onward and upward :D

This week is all about recovery so lots of rest, stretching, foam rolling, a few easy km and hopefully I will make it to the pool at some point.

Monday 31 Oct

Rest - walking to local cafe for brunch was about the extent of my endeavours today. Legs a little stiff but nothing too bad.

End of Month deserves a table

| 2015|2016
    Jan|?|52.32
    Feb|?|93.96
    Mar|13.65|67.25
    Apr|70.77|33.25
    May|27.41|69.52
    Jun|123.11|17.99
    July|52.36|180.73
    Aug|20.24|90.37
    Sep|17.53|136.01
    Oct|21.75|138.64
    Nov|11.03|
    Dec|12.29|
    Total|370.14|

Tuesday 1 November

Rest day - I did contemplate a swim but decided on a brisk walk on the beach instead before winter weather arrives. Also did some gentle stretching and foam rolling - ouchy! :eek:

Wednesday 2 November

20 min easy - took it super easy, legs left okay, bit leaden but no pains or worrying discomfort. 2.9km @ avg 7:03 min/km

Also did some stretching and foam roller action - still ouchy but less than yesterday.

WTD - 2.9km
    MTD - 2.9km
    YTD - 882.9km

Thursday 3 November

Rest day (planned); tumble down the stairs (unplanned)! Delightful bruise and feeling stiffer than after DCM :(

Friday 4 November

Rest day (unplanned) still feeling sore after yesterday's fall. Did make it to the pool for a few lengths (300m backstroke) and some time soaking in the heat in sauna.

Saturday 5 November

Easy 30 min run in Marley Park... Ran a little longer but all good. 5.07k @ 6:37/k followed by park run volunteering. Great bunch!

WTD - 7.97km
    MTD - 7.97km
    YTD - 887.97km

Sunday 6 November

Rest day

Monday 7 November

Rest day (planned) although did go to the gym to get a programme, my arms have no muscle, they are basically like twigs protruding from my torso.

Tuesday 8 November

Rest day (unplanned) - got lazy!

Wednesday 9 November

Headed out for 25 min run before dinner. Nice to be out and not as cold as I had thought - was roasting in my long sleeve top.
    4.73k @ avg 6:46

Thursday 10 November

AM: Headed out for 20 min easy - legs felt good. 3.15k @ avg 6:46
    PM: Gym programme - tough but do-able with the exception of lunges. I think I may have done more damage than I thought when I fell down stairs last week. Am fine running, walking, swimming etc but the lunges hurt and so does rolling up from the mat :( Its very bottom of my back/top of my ass.

WTD - 7.88km
    MTD - 15.85km
    YTD - 895.9km

Friday 11 Nov

Rest day - did manage to squeeze in some time to do lovely stretches with a few yoga and pilates poses.

Saturday 12 Nov

Was in Kilkenny Friday night so decided to try out the parkrun in Kilkenny Castle. Lovely 1k easy to the start line, listened to the announcements and course outline at the start. There were two or three of us visitors as well as some parkrun virgins. The course is two big loops followed by a smaller loop. First half of each of the big loops is net downhill but what goes down must come up so this is followed by a net uphill second half which you can see reflected in my times. Third smaller loop also has some downhill and all the uphill at the end.

Only two weeks after DCM so plan wasn't to go mad out but just run it nice and steady, comfortably fast and maybe come home around 30min. First loop the hill took me by surprise but I managed it okay, second loop, I passed a few people, even on the uphill while also getting lapped by some of the speedy folk. Plan for third loop was to stay strong on the hill and not be passed. Had played a little bit of reel them in along the way and continued this. Caught one guy who was struggling a little as we were about 400m from the finish (about 375 of it uphill) as I passed he pushed to stay with me, I pushed a little bit more, he came back and says 'race ya'! I took the challenge, found another gear and legged it. Heard him say something as he took off after me and we raced for the line. Think we passed a few on the way, he never caught me but hearing him on my shoulder meant I wasn't going to slow down. Felt great! Running the marathon was nice and all, and I would do it again but I think for now I'll stick to the shorter stuff where you can really race.

Finish time 29:20, 97th overall; 5th in age category; 30th female - age grade 50.97%
    Splits: 5:54; 6:12; 5:43; 6:13; 5:28

Had a chat with a few people, including the father of a girl I went to school with. He's really good, competes in the masters internationally and other impressive stuff. Wish my parents were a smidge fitter.

Nice easy 1km back to the in-laws!

Sunday 13 November

Had hoped to get out for a short recovery run but family stuff meant all I managed was a short walk with my niece in her pram.

WTD - 14.9km
    MTD - 22.85km
    YTD - 902.9km

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,512 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Just catching up on your DCM, L - tough day for you, but looks like you have put your finger on what might have been behind it in terms of prep and pacing in the day. It really is tough to keep your head in the game after half way when it's not going well, as you discovered. All learning for future races at all distances! Congrats on the debut anyway. Not sure if a relatively fast parkrun is a great idea so soon after, especially with the niggles on martbin day but it's done now. Take it handy for a while and regroup!

• Advertisement

Murph_D wrote: »
    Just catching up on your DCM, L - tough day for you, but looks like you have put your finger on what might have been behind it in terms of prep and pacing in the day. It really is tough to keep your head in the game after half way when it's not going well, as you discovered. All learning for future races at all distances! Congrats on the debut anyway. Not sure if a relatively fast parkrun is a great idea so soon after, especially with the niggles on martbin day but it's done now. Take it handy for a while and regroup!

Yeah, take your point D, although except for the last 400m didn't feel tough on Saturday. In saying that, no plans for anything other than easy for next 10-14 days. All niggles have been fine post marathon. I think my knee and glutes are two weak spots that I need to with on into the future. Hopefully the gym work I've started will help. Biggest concern is the bruising from stairs fall last week!! :(

Hmmm...didn't really do a whole lot

Monday 14 - Rest (planned)
    Tuesday 15 - Rest (unplanned) - got lazy in the morning and then was at premier of Fantastic Beasts that evening - great movie!
    Wednesday 16 - 30min easy was the plan covered 4.9 @ avg 6:39/km (I think) so was out for a smidge more than 30 min.
    Thursday 17 - more lazy
    Friday 18 - super lazy and then awful night sleep
    Saturday 19 - slept late and then Christmas shopping broke me
    Sunday 20 - pure lazy! :(

WTD - 4.9km
    MTD - 27.75km
    YTD - 907.8km

Now three weeks since DCM, tis but a distant memory so back to running with a plan.

So I cobbled together a bit of plan, drawing heavily on last year's DCM grads plan to get me to the end of the year. My aims are first to attempt a PB at jingle bells (current time to beat is 26:34) and to attempt a running streak throughout December in an attempt to curb the festive excess. Then I am away for a month and hope to use this year's grad plan when I get back to start 2017 with.

|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday
    21 Nov|Rest (optional swim & sauna)|30 min easy|35 min easy (optional swim & sauna)|25 min easy (gym session)|Rest (optional swim & sauna)|45 min easy (gym session)|20 min recovery
    28 Nov|Rest (optional swim & sauna)|40 min easy|30 min easy with 6 x strides (optional swim and sauna)|Gym Session|15 min easy|Jingle Bells Race|30 min Recovery
    5 Dec|15 min easy/Rest (optional swim & sauna)|45 min easy|10 min diagonals @10k w/15 cd/wu (optional swim & sauna)| 45 min easy (gym session)|15 min easy/Rest (optional swim & sauna)| 45 min w/last 10@MP (gym session)| 75 min easy
    12 Dec| 15 min easy/Rest (optional swim & sauna)|45 min easy (optional swim/sauna)|8*45sec hills w/ 1.5k wu/cd (opp swim/sauna)|45 min easy (gym session)|15 min easy/Rest (optional swim & sauna)|40min w/middle 20@HMP (gym session)|80min easy
    19 Dec|15 min easy/Rest (optional swim & sauna)|45 min easy| 12*45sec @5k w/10min wu/cd (op swim & sauna)| 45min easy|15 min easy/Rest|65 min w/ mid 45@MP OR Parkrun|30min easy
    26 Dec|15 min easy/Rest|70 min easy|45 min easy|Travel|Travel|Aussie running :D|Aussie Running :D

Should note that the swims are not much of a workout as I am brutal but I do find it relaxing, especially if I concentrate on the backstroke.

Monday 21 Nov Rest day, although did do some stretching and pilates poses in the AM and foam rolling in the PM

Tuesday 22 Nov 30 min easy was the goal and I did more or less that. Tiny bit fast as I struggled to get warm but felt fairly easy. 4.7k @ avg 6:27/km

Wednesday 23 Nov Lovely crisp morning for a run. 5.64k @ avg 6:35/km. Will try fit in a swim after work.

WTD - 10.34km
    MTD - 38.09km
    YTD - 918.14km

Thur 24 - Sunday 27

Bit of a lurgy, didn't feel ill as such but energy was low, like in the doldrums low and I could have slept for Ireland so never managed to motivate myself out of the door.

Monday 28 Nov

Technically a rest day, but having done feck all last week, and feeling full of beans this morning after a very relaxing weekend and inspired by YoungAnne's running streak a few months ago I decided no time like the present I snuck in a very short easy run around the block - 2.4k @ avg 6:30

Also some stretching; bridges; yoga poses and foam rolling

WTD - 2.4km
    MTD - 40.49km
    YTD - 920.54km
    Running Streak: 1/1

Tuesday 29 November

Headed out much later than usual for this one, after 9pm and not that long after dinner so felt a bit icky at some points, am not great on a full tummy. Plan was 40 min easy and I did more or less that. It was very very cold though - felt like I was only using half my lungs, took a very long shower to get them warmed up again!

6.96km at 6:20/km

Wednesday 30 November

Did this in the am so only had 12 hours between runs which is probably why legs felt a little tired and flat. Threw in some strides toward the end, these felt okay - looking forward to Jingle Bells on Saturday now.

4.74km at 6:30/km

WTD - 14.1km
    MTD - 52.21km
    YTD - 932.2km
    Running Streak: 3/3

| 2015|2016
    Jan|?|52.32
    Feb|?|93.96
    Mar|13.65|67.25
    Apr|70.77|33.25
    May|27.41|69.52
    Jun|123.11|17.99
    July|52.36|180.73
    Aug|20.24|90.37
    Sep|17.53|136.01
    Oct|21.75|138.64
    Nov|11.03|52.21
    Dec|12.29|
    Total|370.14|

Thursday 1 December

Technically a rest day but wanting to keep my running streak going I headed out for 15 min before dinner. Not sure if it was the additional clothes or its slightly milder this evening but the cold didn't bother me as much as earlier in the week. 2.58km @ 06:23min/km

Weather forecast is looking good for Saturday. High pressure continuing to dominate so no rain, minimal wind AND happily the breeze that there is will be coming from the south so not baltic :cool: Current PB is 26:34 from Clane back in April. That is a fairly flat course so while Jingle Bells is a fast course my time to beat is not exactly from a challenging route so not sure if it will make that much difference.

I think my plan is to attempt to keep splits 5:10 - 5:15/km - that would bring me home between 25:50 and 26:15 so I guess my A goal is 25:xx; B goal 26:15; C goal 26:30. Going to stay in the range for first 3k, see how I feel, step it up a smidge if I can for 4th K and push for final k hanging on in there - can do anything for 5 min right? Right? :D

WTD - 16.7km
    MTD - 2.58km
    YTD - 934.8km
    Running Streak: 4/4

Friday 2 December
    Another running streak short easy run. OH came with me which forced me to stay firmly at the slow end of my easy pace. Just over 2k @ avg 6:56. Very proud of him, he ran the whole 2k non-stop (which might be a first), sadly I have not converted him to running more regularly yet.

Saturday 3 December
    Jingle Bells - race report below. Total of 7k for the day.

Sunday 4 December
    Headed out in the evening for this one, 30min recovery. Don't have my watch with me but think I did 4.6k ish @ 6:39ish. Felt great to be out, lovely evening.

WTD - 30.7km
    MTD - 16.58km
    YTD - 948.8km
    Running Streak: 7/7

• Advertisement

Everyone had said you can expect pbs after the marathon cycle but given my marathon wasn't exactly covered in glory I was unconvinced, even with a fast course like Jingle Bells. However, ever the delusional soul optimist I set the following goals
    A - 25:xx
    B - 26:15
    C - 26:33 pb to date - 26:34

Preparation
    Have only been running easy miles since the marathon and found the strides earlier in the week tough enough. Also concerned that I am holding tension in my shoulders and generally my muscles feel a bit stiff these days.

All my usual best practice stuff like paying attention to fuel, pinning number of t-shirt night before, getting an early night etc when out the window. Only thing I did do well was make sure to drink enough water Thur and Fri.

Pre-Race
    Usual breakfast of porridge and green tea. Didn't bother with toast like I did for all the race series and long runs in DCM training. Did some stretchy stuff at home, got my gear together and headed over to the park. Nicely parked at 9:45am.

OH was with me so we took a walk to the portaloos, no queue yet thankfully, and on to check out where the finish line was. Walked back up by start line and saw a magnificent herd of deer stampede across the race course. I don't think I've ever been that close to so many of them, although I did wonder what would happen if they decided to retrace their steps when we were getting underway! :eek:

Left the OH to continue deer watching while I did a super slow 2k warm up. Almost instantly my tummy started to rumble - that awful empty rumble like the first day after a bug when its empty and letting you know that food is once more welcome. And I realised that I had forgotten to bring a banana or well anything - doh! Continued on my super slow warm-up, swear people could hear my tummy but at least I was getting nicely warmed up and seeing people in shorts which easing the worries that I should have worn 3/4 lengths. Did some drills, joined the now much longer queue for the portaloos but thankfully it was moving fairly fast. OH joined me in the queue so I gave him all my extra layers - best bag drop ever he is!

Finished in the loo a few minutes before start, few strides on way to start line, work my way up to just behind the sub 25 sign, spot the muppet up ahead and decide to try keep him in my sights.

The Race
    Some congestion at the start made worse by as usual people being in the wrong spot - like its not rocket science to know that if you are going to be walking in the first 300m you should probably start at the back! :mad: Also found this km generally tough, I know its 'uphill' in comparison with the rest of the course profile but its not exactly Everest! Felt kinda weak, and energy-less and different to the jelly legs I often get as the initial rush of adrenaline wears off. Split 5:30 - figured my targets were all gone but maybe if I hung on in there I'd still get a pb or at least close.

Start of 2nd km someone had collapsed. On the one hand this made me feel better, I was still standing, on the other hand I had thoughts like - shouldn't push yourself too hard L, don't want to collapse. Continued on anyway, got passed by a buggy but on the plus side could still see the muppet, albeit the gap had widened. Split 5:19 - well that is a bit more like it

Third km was the hardest, something about the middle of a race...tummy starting to feel dodgy, still feeling a little dull, like I had no kick. Really working to stay on pace and nearly felt like stopping. From around here until almost the finish there were two teenage girls running together, sometimes they were behind me, sometimes in front can't remember how we finished but one of them was offering much encouragement to the other which I happily eavesdropped on and also took encouragement so thank you random teenage runner! And suddenly 3k marker was there. Split 5:17

Around here a runner decided to take a short cut through the grass, I mean not just cut a corner business but actually take a straight line through the grass on the curves on the glen road. A lot of raised eyebrows. Also round here I was running near a young girl and her dad. He was struggling to keep up as she haired off and ever so often she'd look around for him and wait, he kept telling her she could go ahead but she mostly insisted on waiting - very sweet. Still working to stay on pace, but down hill is helping. Do a pain check and its really just my tummy and it doesn't hurt as such. Rest of me is more a dull sensation. Split 5:19.

Final KM, don't remember a whole lot, some (in hindsight dodgy) maths tells me I'd have to run less than 5min even split to have any hope of hitting C target, vague recollection of the down hill being quite pronounced, trying to figure out how soon I should attempt a kick for the finish, really working to push faster, OH attempts a photo I have no energy for thumbs us, can see the finish line, no idea how long it took me to get across the line at the start so figuring both A and B goals are gone, I make a final push to try and make my C goal, announcer encouraging people to sprint for finish and I cross the line, hit my watch and stagger to the railing to catch my breath! Split 4:50

Post-Race
    Take a few minutes to catch my breath and pounce on the jellies on offer. Wander on to collect my mug, some water etc and bump into a gang from these parts. Great to see so many familiar faces and put faces to some other screen names. Also great that most people seemed pretty happy with their results and I look at my own watch to discover I might have made the B goal after all and do appear to have a pb :D

Find OH, put back on all the layers I took off before the race, get some hot chocolate, wander back to car and head home.

Even after a nap in the afternoon I have a headache for the rest of the day and was wrecked. Very pleased with how I did but I think my tummy issues and dull feeling might have been a result of not eating enough. I know its only 5k but I've had that head ache before and its always pretty much been possible to link it to a low blood sugar.

Result
    Chip Time 26:15 - pb of 19 sec :D:D

Advertisement