Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Losing Weight on a Budget

Options
  • 01-10-2014 1:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

Hi, As the title suggests my friend is going to lose weight (try at least) on a budget. He is not a member of boards and is not technically minded!! Reason being, he needs to lose weight (duh) and some people we know complain they cant lose weight because they're on a budget e.t.c. So for the month of October He's going to employ a low-cost weight loss plan. I will log his meals and exercises daily from the 1st until the 31st, as well as his weight on designated dates and his BMI.

He has consulted a GP and he has agreed to weigh him and calculate his BMI on the designated dates.

He will spend €35/week, so total €175/month

Weigh-In dates are as follows:
    Wednesday 1st (Start)
    Friday 3rd
    Friday 10th
    Friday 17th
    Friday 24th
    Friday 31st

Positive responses (if any), negative ones will be reported. Advice is welcome.

To Start:

Weight: 20 st 0 lbs / 280 lbs / 127.01 kgs
    BMI: 38.0

Good Luck!!

Comments

Why not just say it's you, and get it over with? I can't log my own eating/exercising, i can't imagine anyone would ever do anyone else's.

The maths needs sorting out too. 35 x 4 is 140.
    T0001 wrote: »
    He will spend €35/week, so total €175/month

Weight: 20 st 0 lbs / 280 lbs / 127.01 kgs
    BMI: 38.0

I'm 26, and 3-4 months ago I was 18st 11lbs. Today I'm 16st 4lbs. I've been hovering in and around the low 16st's for about two months now. My enthusiasm has died, but im trying to maintain where I've gotten so far.

Tesco do '2 for €3' on packs of bananas, apples and pears. €3 will get you at least two days worth of fresh fruit. Decent low-calorie Yogurts cost less than €1 each and you can pick up two decent steaks in Aldi for about €12-€13, and a bag of spuds costs next to nothing and will do days on end.

Your budget only starts to get hammered when you start to look to exercise (which is essential to weight loss in my opinion as it makes you feel like you're really actually doing something).

Runners, running clothes, weights, benches, etc. all cost a fair few euro (equally, a gym membership can be expensive) but I find my budget for food stays around the same regardless of whether I'm filling up on fruit and veg or jellies and biscuits.

With a small bit of cooking knowledge (even just Youtube can be good for the basics) your budget can stretch a lot further. Living on an average of €5 per day is do able, and it can be interesting, challenging and fun at first, but the novelty soon wears off and that's when the other crap foods start to re-appear (in my opinion/experience).

Being 20st means you should see the weight flying off you in the first month or so. At 18st 11lbs I dropped 10lbs in my first week of trying. It gets harder to lose big amounts the longer you're at it, but it's definitely do-able if you try hard enough.

Either way, best of luck with it. :)

Advertisement