Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Personally I don't believe he believes most of the things that come out of his mouth. He said he is going to investigate Hillary Clinton or impeach her for Benghazi. Then again a powerful lobby in DC want to finish her career off once and for all. Perhaps he would be admired a lot more if he stopped the abusive tone he takes with his potential Presidential contender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,936 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Wages are too high". How the hell does he have so much support amongst those with just a high school diploma or none at all?!

Because they ignore criticism, they think all criticism in the news is biased because he says it is. But here's the scoop on wages comments

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/donald-trump-wages-215812

Previously he had another incident where he claimed he personall saw "thousands" of people celebrating on rooftops in NJ on 9/11. The media lambasted him, nobody could find any indication this was in any way true. He dug up a lone Washington Post article (which in any other context would be a "garbage rag newspaper") which referenced an unspecific number of people reported celebrating - likely 8 men which had their house raided by the FBI that week, in other reports.

The journalist who wrote the piece came out and criticized trump saying he was using the article entirely out of context. A reporter with physical disabilities who has personally met trump in the past and possibly in private in response to the article. This was trumps response at a rally:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PX9reO3QnUA

Basically he's a vile human being who not only mocks others but is no friend of logic, using fallacious argument to further his campaign - cherry picking, bandwagon, ignorance, etc

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

"Wages are too high". How the hell does he have so much support amongst those with just a high school diploma or none at all?!
    Methinks this raises a much larger political issue regarding candidates for the 2016 presidency. It seems inexplicable how anyone can become enthusiastic and devoted (almost to the point of worship) to any of the Democrat or Republican candidates running this year. In like manner, I also find it inexplicable that anyone can become just as enthusiastic for either the Democrat or Republican parties, so devoted that many unwittingly spout party manufactured points in opposition to the opposing party's manufactured points.

Makes me wonder to what extent this devotion to presidential candidate or party was in someways similar to the devotion exhibited towards the Kings and Queens, and their courts of bygone ages? Then again in America today fans of NFL football quarterbacks and teams seem to exhibit the same level of irrational exuberance during season (EU soccer too); e.g., my team right or wrong, but always my team; and my party right or wrong, but always my party!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

ECO_Mental wrote: »
    Nothing lefty to it really, I would call anybody crazy who has come up with idea that the pyramids were built by joseph to store grain and something to do with aliens also thrown in there. Do you think that's a sane idea?
    He actually used the phrase "high-falutin' scientists" in relation to the archaeologists who tried to explain what the pyramids were actually for aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Manach wrote: »
    Got to love the dissonance of the left which slams anything religious which does not directly tie into their progressive narrow world view.

Anybody who uses religion to justify oppressive social policies and restrictive civil liberties rightly deserves to be slammed. I'm sure many non-left types would agree.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Thargor wrote: »
    He actually used the phrase "high-falutin' scientists" in relation to the archaeologists who tried to explain what the pyramids were actually for aswell.

Trying to appearing "folksy" is apparently a Republican standard, occasionally with some amusing results.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

127th Annual Tournament of Roses Parade was held New Years Day across the pond in Pasadena near Los Angeles. It's known to be the largest NYs parade in the nation, and is telecast around the world every year. Hundreds of thousands of visitors were found on either side of the parade route, and what appeared in the sky while the parade of bands, floats, horses, etc., slowly journeyed down a several mile course? Skywriting adverse to the Trump 2016 presidential candidacy. One of several:

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Free publicity^
    Anybody who uses religion to justify oppressive social policies and restrictive civil liberties rightly deserves to be slammed. I'm sure many non-left types would agree.

Spot on, this is why the republicans lose, they have to appeal to the religious segment in the primaries, saying outrageous things, fighting long lost battles(abortion), thus alienating large swathes of people.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Free publicity^

Spot on, this is why the republicans lose, they have to appeal to the religious segment in the primaries, saying outrageous things, fighting long lost battles(abortion), thus alienating large swathes of people.

They don't lose though. They currently hold both houses and the majority of governorships. It's bizarre really.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Advertisement

This terrorist recruiting tool idea was not unique to Hillary Clinton. Al-Shabaab might have started preparing their vid beginning with the Trump USA ban on Muslims statement, which had been broadcast worldwide immediately, and drew international criticism and protests, along with many suggesting on the web (way before Clinton) that Trump's anti-Muslim bigotry would serve as an excellent recruiting tool. Clinton cannot be given credit for coming up with this idea, she just repeated it, after it had been repeated (too many times to count) on the web.

Trump now saying when he defended the Clintons against the sex scandals in 2008, he was doing it just to get votes/get people on his side.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/donald-trump-says-defending-clinton-over-lewinsky-was-only-lip-service/
    Trump wrote:
    I would always stick up, as a businessman, stick up for various people whether they were friends or not. In many cases I needed them, their votes, to get things done.

And now, conservatives, he needs YOUR votes, but he really means what he says this time. He promises.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭eire4

Free publicity^

But Republicans do not currently lose much. They control both houses in Washingtin DC and the vast majority of state houses and governorships. Reality is voting in the US is embarrassingly low and a very large chunk of the population have checked out on the political system which is corrupted and dysfunctional and certainly does not serve the interests or the needs of the vast majority of Americans.

Will Trump's Wall extend from Mexico to Morocco?

Trump's first political ad shows (4 January 2015) swarms of people crossing what appears to be a national border, while his film commentator states: "He'll stop illegal immigration by building a wall on our southern border that Mexico will pay for."

When checking the digital footprint of the source of the swarming people video, Politifact discovered that the video had been taken in Morocco by Italian television network RepubblicaTV on 3 May 2014 not the southern USA and Mexico border. They labeled this a "pants-on-fire" lie by the Trump campaign to mislead the American people to think that it was a video of people actually swarming into the USA across their southern border.

Contrary to what Trump claims out of his mouth, Pew Research Center concluded last month "for the first time since the 1940s, more immigrants from Mexico are leaving the US than coming into the country."

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/trump-ad-fact-checked-mexican-border-footage-campaign-says-no-n489981

"No sh-- it's not the Mexican border but that's what our country is going to look like. This was 1,000 percent on purpose."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

so are people upset that Donald Trump said 'Bill Clinton was a woman abuser and sexist ' or
    are people upset that Bill clinton was a woman abuser and sexist.

Are people upset cos donald Trump said 7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost in the US or
    are poeple upset cos 7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost in the us

Are people upset cos Donal Trump said there is a homeless crisis in the US or
    are people upset cos there is a homeless crisis in the US

Are people upset cos Donald Trump said Wall Street and Washington are working against the middle class in the US or
    are people upset cos Wall Street and Washington are working against the middle class in the US

Are people upset cos Donal Trump said the gap between the rich and poor i n the US is widening or
    are people upset cos the gap between the rich and poor in the US is widening

Are people upset cos donald Trump questions Hilary Clintons ethics in situations like Benghazi and her email server or
    are people upset at Hilarys Clintons ethics in situations like Benghazi and her email server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I dont know if anyone here is really that upset are they? I don't think a guy who claims wages are currently too high would be the best person to close the wealth gap either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,823 ✭✭✭✭First Up

so are people upset that Donald Trump said 'Bill Clinton was a woman abuser and sexist ' or
    are people upset that Bill clinton was a woman abuser and sexist.

Are people upset cos donald Trump said 7 million manufacturing jobs have been lost in the US or

Are people upset cos Donald Trump said Wall Street and Washington are working against the middle class in the US or
    are people upset cos Wall Street and Washington are working against the middle class in the US

Are people upset cos Donal Trump said the gap between the rich and poor i n the US is widening or

Are people upset cos donald Trump questions Hilary Clintons ethics in situations like Benghazi and her email server or
    are people upset at Hilarys Clintons ethics in situations like Benghazi and her email server.

If Trump wants to campaign against the wrong Clinton, the only people who should be upset are those who support him.

As for his statements about the economy; I don't think anyone should get upset over Trump having a firm grasp of the bleedin' obvious. Of more interest would be who or what he thinks caused it (let me guess...) and what he proposes to do about any of it. Maybe an Executive Order to force Walmart to "Buy American" so people pay more for their stuff? Or higher taxes on the rich to close the wealth gap? Now THAT would upset some people.

As for Hillary and Benghazi, if he has something to ask her about it that she didn't tell the Senate Committee - we are all ears.

As for Hillary and the emails; as the saying goes - here's a dime, call someone who cares.

First Up wrote: »
    as the saying goes - here's a dime, call someone who cares.

even better i was able to get The White House on a free phone number.
    Although i got a pre-recorded message.
    Went along the lines of 'Yes we can, Yes we can, Yes we can' ... on repeat
    Thankfully all issues in the US are solved by that one line.

Got to go some of my ducks are acting up in the yard... I think one of them is lame.

Got to go some of my ducks are acting up in the yard... I think one of them is lame.

But not as lame as your retort.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,262 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Colonialboy and First Up, please cease bickering.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

All things far better candidates have said.

Overheal wrote: »
    All things far better candidates have said.

And as we all know in America, saying stuff will get you elected.
    Bush > Bush > Clinton > Clinton > Bush > Bush> Obama (Clinton puppet) > Obama > Clinton (?)... more of the same hegemony over the ordinary American people.

I guess some people vote based on what a candidate will SAY. Look how far a soundbite like 'yes we can' got one fella.

Id be more of discerning voter, I base my decision on what a candidate will DO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

But not doing much doesn't seem to be the problem Obama's opponents have of him, so I don't see the merit of the "yes we can" jibe. Obama care, executive decisions, same sex marriage, gun laws, all come to mind as issues were many think he did far too much, so I'm not seeing the logic.

As for promises, I'm not sure how realistic some of Trump's proposals are either. Just as Obama would be a disappointment for many who voted for him in 08, Trump will not be able to deliver many things he promises either. That's where I see your point and would agree, but would say that people should avoid hero worshipping any candidate. And Trump is the main personality in this campaign, he's the great white hope really.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Id be more of discerning voter, I base my decision on what a candidate will DO.

As in what they say they will do?

First Up wrote: »
    As in what they say they will do?
    nope wrong again..

as in whether you believe they will DO what they SAY.
    as in whether they have a past form on getting things DONE.

Christmas is over and whilst I do enjoy it and even allow a bit of myself to still believe in Santa Claus just for the harmless fun of it all. But when it comes to politics and business (same thing in the US) I take a more discerning viewpoint.

as in whether you believe they will DO what they SAY. as in whether they have a past form on getting things DONE.

So you believe what they say?

For a moment I wasn't sure whether to post this in CT or here.

It falls way below the standards of a CT though.

Thanks for answering my question.
    Its apparent people are more upset that Trump said anything, than actually any of the points he raises.

Now its gone to the point people are not only outraged at Trump audacity to have an opinion , but they are scrapping the barrell and putting up posts of things said by a Trump supporter.

Its not like theres been any big news story regarding the Presidential candidates,

Nearly 1,300 classified docs on Clinton's private server
    http://video.foxnews.com/v/4683052868001/nearly-1300-classified-docs-on-clintons-private-server/?intcmp=hpbt2#sp=show-clips

Saudi Government behead 47 people in one day.....
    lets not forget Obamas rush to the funeral last year of the last king of Saudi Abdullah died a year ago. His funeral saw formation kowtowing which would have done credit to an Olympic opening ceremony.
    Barack Obama headed a delegation seemingly comprising the entire US government. Hillary and Bill Clinton referred to “a “family friend”.
    No sign of Obama in Paris last year

Anyways I let ye get back to the serious 'politik' discussion, go find the next utterance from some Trump supporter, after all those seem to be the big stories discussed on this forum, its not like theres anything else major going on impacting the US. (China, yuan, opiate epidemic, unemployment register hits 6 months high in Christmas week) :rolleyes: I blame the education system..:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,775 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Trump admonishing his supporters. Tongue in cheek though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement