Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Seemingly Trump hired a contractor, who in turn hired the Poles.

If I were a strategist for one of Trump's rivals for the GOP nomination, I'd work in an angle of, "He can't even guarantee that the contractors he hires won't hire illegal immigrants! What does that say about the sort of authority he could wield?"

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Christie could be aiming for the AG spot?
    Most of these politicians, no matter Republican or Democrat, want something for something in return, so when I heard the sudden Christie endorsement after having personally attacked Trump in earlier so-called debates, methought that he had been bought (with a favour) should Trump win November 2016, like a promised appointment to a cabinet post, or whatever in the future Trump administration. Such is politics.
    Seemingly Trump hired a contractor, who in turn hired the Poles.
    Hiring illegal immigrants by proxy? Of course Trump will claim ignorance, even though there was a scandal back then about Trump's "Polish Brigade." If so and elected November, will he remain ignorant of the actions of those he appoints to cabinet positions, as well as other appointed positions, just like the contractor of his name-sake building Trump Tower? Or manage the store and know what's going on all the time, and if caught doing something illegal, point to proxies using plausible deniability as an excuse? Or worse, use the ole expression by Reagan "There I go again," and everyone laughs off his illegal activities like Iran-Contra?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Based on currently reading "Don't Hurt People and Don't Take Their Stuff: A Libertarian Manifesto", the same could be also said of Obama and Lois Learner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I am back home in Ireland and as such not watching the nightly news cycle in the US, but to be honest I would be surprised if anything changes between now and Tues, Rubio and Cruz did a good hatchet job on Trump in the debate, but the Christie endorsement obliterated that from the headlines. Trump as the nominee by the 15th, Christie as his VP?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Does Christie speak with forked tongue? Earlier Chris Christie criticisms regarding Trump's qualifications for president:

“But there are folks in this race who don’t care about what the law says because they’re used to being able to just fire people indiscriminately on television.”

“Showtime is over. We are not electing an entertainer-in-chief. Showmanship is fun, but it is not the kind of leadership that will truly change America.”

And now Christie endorses Trump, saying essentially the opposite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,046 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Still Super Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Seems Hillary won more of the black vote than Obama back in 2008 (with the caveat that, at that time Edwards was still in the running). So on to super Tuesday.

Overheal wrote: »
    Still Super Tuesday.

Do you still think there's any chance of Sanders? I mean it's been clear for weeks now his goose is cooked.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

At this stage, the only roadblock on Clinton's way to the nomination seems to be the ongoing FBI investigation and how that plays out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Interesting how much publicity, ire and comment was rasised after a Muslim woman was ejected from a Trump rally.

In the last week Hilary has ejected two people from 2 of her rallys.
    A 'Marine' who questioned her role in Benghazi
    A black woman who questioned her about the 'mass incarceration' of black people and the Clintons record in bills resulting in the huge numbers of black people in prison, as well as her comments relating to 'black gangs'

barely a squeak.

Akrasia wrote: »
    I was born in the 20th century, it's now the 21st century and spans two millenia. Does that mean I'm 2000 years old?

Were you born 2,000 years ago... if so it does...
    if you werent then I guess your not..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,511 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Manach wrote: »
    At this stage, the only roadblock on Clinton's way to the nomination seems to be the ongoing FBI investigation and how that plays out.

She deserves to be prosecuted, I don't see her escaping this one. Perhaps she rides out the Nomination process, but the Republicans aren't going to let up with this.

I said a few months ago the only way a Democrat isn't in the White House next year is if Hillary is nominated then she's properly investigated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I said a few months ago the only way a Democrat isn't in the White House next year is if Hillary is nominated then she's properly investigated.

I think that's putting way too much faith in Hilliarys popularity.

She is by no means a shoe in.

She is old, she is tied to the establishment, she has credibility questions, she is trying to follow 8 years of a Democrat president, she has popularity issues.
    Anyone of Trump, Rubio or Cruz would have a great chance to beat her.

Polls are indicating Trump will have a resounding victory in Massachusetts. 43%

MA. would be considered one of the more progressive and educated electorate.
    So that kind of blows out of the water the arguement that somehow Trumps supporter base is un-educated or un-informed.

Could it be that is for the exact reason that the electorate in MA is educated, informed and intellegient enough to know whats really going on in US politics and economy and that they see Trump as representing a solution to some of those issues.
    Perhaps Trump is appealing to the educated electorate in MA, simply because on the whole most of what he has to say appeals to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Polls are indicating Trump will have a resounding victory in Massachusetts. 43%

MA. would be considered one of the more progressive and educated electorate.
    So that kind of blows out of the water the arguement that somehow Trumps supporter base is un-educated or un-informed.

Could it be that is for the exact reason that the electorate in MA is educated, informed and intellegient enough to know whats really going on in US politics and economy and that they see Trump as representing a solution to some of those issues.
    Perhaps Trump is appealing to the educated electorate in MA, simply because on the whole most of what he has to say appeals to them.
    MA is split between the liberal, highly educated urban centres, and the republican, poorly educated rural areas.

There are less than half a million registered republicans out of the 4 million registered voters in the state, so if Trump is popular amongst about 200 thousand voters out of a population of 4 million...

It's not convincing to say that Trump appeals to highly educated people, when he really only appeals to a very specific sub set of the most conservative people in the state (registered republicans).

In the GE, Trump would be utterly annihilated in MA

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

The problem is that the idiot wing of the party has a very, very loud voice which is widely heard and reported be it Cruz talking about making desert sand glow in the dark, Trump talking about shooting people in the street or Romney saying that women's bodies can avoid pregnancies in cases of "legitimate rape".

There's more to it than this. We have a referendum due on the UK's continued membership of the EU in June and we have tabloids coming out in forces against continued membership as they likely see free trade and free movement of people as threats to their vested interests.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

People have seen what more open borders and more free trade have brought over the last 20 or 30 years and many don't like it. Blaming easy scapegoats I'd agree on, lesser intelligence I'm not so sure!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

Impossible, the US is a burgeoning welfare state with a functional democracy. Import heaps of poor people they will vote for more welfare. As for a free market, you mean in the regulated sense, as even with a "free market", those manufacturing jobs will still be overseas, where the lax to absent regulations make them impossible to compete against.

Anyway its a moot point if you subscribe to the belief(and reports) that technology and robotics will make most lower end jobs redundant, open borders wont have the false justification of "they are doing jobs X segment of the population dont want to do", you'll just be importing more people to live on welfare as their skills dont translate to a high tech economy.

You are also making the assumption that a free market US wont just be an even more extreme version of the current "trade deal" US which sends its jobs overseas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well P, a lot of people have seen their wages stagnate. I'm talking about people from all manner of walks of life here. They just don't feel like things have gotten better. I work in science and I'm still earning below the UK average wage.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

One of the richest countries in the world has some of the worst public services in the developed world, and some of the highest rates of poverty and crime.

Sanders wants the wealth of the nation to be distributed more fairly. That's not a scapegoat argument, it's a political philosophy, social democracy. Talking about scapegoats, Libertarians tend to blame 'the government' or 'the state' for every problem they can think of. "These free markets would be working great if it wasn't for the government interfering all the time"

That's the biggest scapegoat out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,046 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

John Oliver chose to no longer ignore Trump given his recent primary successes. As someone put it on Twitter earlier, "John Oliver could do nothing for the rest of the year and still get an Emmy for this."

• Advertisement

I don't know what it is either but a lot of people are feeling a pinch. I don't blame either globalisation or immigration as I see these both as good things for society.

I've no idea either. Too many University graduates?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement