Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I already mentioned caution , hence the piece I highlighted about "grains of salt" ;)

However, this story does appear to have legs. A reporter from Breitbart, Allum Bokhari (@LibertarianBlue) had the story before the National Enquirer, and was not allowed to proceed with it at the time. Some think this was due to Ben Shapiro being at the top levels of Breitbart management then. Shapiro has since left due to the Michelle Fields ridiculous "controversy").

Allum tweeted this after the National Enquirer story blew up:
    Allum Bokhari
    @LibertarianBlue
    I hate getting scooped.

It's just a fascinating development for those following the campaigns closely. Katrina Pierson, Trump's current spokesperson and former Cruz campaign member, has been named as one of the women Cruz had an affair with. So, what now? Stay tuned, lol......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Cruz, the great moral politician. Trump nomination secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

These holier than thou types always have skeletons in their closets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

20Cent wrote: »

I love it, nothing better than a moralist being brought down from his pulpit. How Cruz is supposed to represent the "tea party/libertarian" wing of the Republicans is beyond me.

Glenn Becks great religious hope goosed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

eire4 wrote: »
    Any reasonable person can see when you reduce the number of polling stations by 70% there are going to be major problems.

If there was a lot of downtime at polling stations in 2012 then one could close a large number of polling stations without any issues assuming the turnout stayed the same.
    Overheal wrote: »
    Seriously did they expect turnout for 2016 would be 70% lower than 2012, a re-election year?

Rather foolishly I hadn't considered the fact that turnout would naturally have been lower during the last election cycle. I got the impression from the article that the 2012 turnout was the norm and this year was unexpectedly high. So that was probably an incorrect assumption on my part and realistically the closure of polling stations was a lot more underhand than I previously believed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Gerard3003

All this scandal with Cruz may explain why he basically had to write a script for his family to say good things about him in his promotional videos. Never liked the man but at least he has set views , unlike Trump who during this campaign has been pro choice & pro life as well as sitting on both sides of the fence on a range of issues.

20Cent wrote: »

It's hard to beat Newt Gingrich cheating on his first wife when she was receiving cancer treatment and then cheating on his second wife all the while opposing same-sex marriage as it would destroy the sanctity of marriage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I witnessed, in real time, the cruzsexscandal hashtag disappearing off the list of top Trends. Censorship city!
    #CruzSexScandal trending at #2 nationally with 220K+ tweets at 9AM, Twitter bans the hashtag at 9:15AM aaaaand it's gone!

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4bwf9h/cruzsexscandal_trending_at_2_nationally_with_220k/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

I don't really need much confirmation to know Cruz is a psychopath. Only mild surprise that they're women

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Well given the way that liberals enjoy embracing nearly all types of relationships and the overturning of traditional mores( if this news about Cruz be truth and not the flash in the pan disinformation then perhaps they could which to him) and given the disfunctionality that certain Democratic candidates have in this regard - perhaps he can switch parties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,102 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I witnessed, in real time, the cruzsexscandal hashtag disappearing off the list of top Trends. Censorship city!

https://www.reddit.com/r/The_Donald/comments/4bwf9h/cruzsexscandal_trending_at_2_nationally_with_220k/

If you think that's censorship I have a forum for you...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Manach wrote: »
    Well given the way that liberals enjoy embracing nearly all types of relationships and the overturning of traditional mores( if this news about Cruz be truth and not the flash in the pan disinformation then perhaps they could which to him) and given the disfunctionality that certain Democratic candidates have in this regard - perhaps he can switch parties.

John Edwards was punted over a sex scandal in 2008 by the Democratic Party.

People supportive of the Republican Party (or an idea of what they think the GOP is supposed to be) need to stop doing what you're considering doing in the above post - engaging in whataboutery around the actual real dangerous candidates that are dominating the primary voting between them. Your base loves these guys - why? One of them will be your nominee for President - why? To me it is because your party is utterly ****ed from the top down. It's time for smart conservatives who believe in free trade; smaller government and social liberalism to face up to reality and take back your party before its too late.

I bet Jumpin' Jeb wishes he didn't endorse Lyin' Ted now! Belt Buckle Ben and Cream Bun Christie backed the right horse! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

It's hard to beat Newt Gingrich cheating on his first wife when she was receiving cancer treatment and then cheating on his second wife all the while opposing same-sex marriage as it would destroy the sanctity of marriage.
    What about Larry Craig, who consistently voted against SSM, voted against extending hate crimes to be extended to covering sexual orientation (which was later passed in 2007, but had been delayed by 5 years... and in 2007, he voted against is also), and who was given a '0' rating by LGBT rights group 'Human Rights Campaign'.

Remember when he was caught cruising in public toilets for anonymous gay sexual encounters, something which it turned out he regularly?

That's got to be up there too!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Rather than address serious issues that affect most Americans, along with detailed plans towards resolving these problems, we now have old GQ nude pictures of potential First Lady Melania Trump circulating, and the extraordinary and hypocritical exchange between Cruz and Trump, as well as between their respective supporters, discussing marital infidelity, which occurred for Trump when he was married to 1st wife Ivana Trump while at the same having a relationship with mistress Marla Maples, compared with claims that Cruz has exhibited marital infidelity with up to 5 women, suggesting in the last case that Trump was morally on higher ground than Cruz by virtue of numbers.

Of course once the Republican voters decide on which of the two "infidelity" candidates gets the GOP nomination, odds are good that this infidelity exchange will continue as a major campaign issue, with both Republicans and Democrats comparing and contrasting Trump's history of infidelity with Bill Clinton's infidelity, with one side assuming the higher moral ground while putting down the other. This presidential election has turned into telly episodes of a soap opera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

By the way, as much as Cruz is detestable himself, I do love how the Trump fans who have been making claims about lies, bias, etc against him (typically without articulating what lies they claim are being made) are so quick to jump on a report from The National Enquirer as fact. :pac:

It will be interesting to see how that plays out, but for now it's a report from the National Enquirer. That's about as credible as a rumour started on After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Overheal wrote: »
    Splitting hairs; because we don't know the scale of how many voters and what demographics and who couldn't get to a booth, the point remains.

It doesn't matter what the result was, the fact that thousands (tens or hundreds of thousands) of citizens who wanted to exercise their right to vote were not allowed to vote. Even if Sanders had won like that, it would have been unjustly served.

I listened to a NPR podcast that nailed out, when there are long queues outside booths after polls are supposed to be closed and the election results have been called and reported in the media, it looks terrible, plus it demeans those votes.

It does seem like a drastic cut to booth numbers all to save a few quid.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

Billy86 wrote: »
    By the way, as much as Cruz is detestable himself, I do love how the Trump fans who have been making claims about lies, bias, etc against him (typically without articulating what lies they claim are being made) are so quick to jump on a report from The National Enquirer as fact. :pac:

It will be interesting to see how that plays out, but for now it's a report from the National Enquirer. That's about as credible as a rumour started on After Hours.

Cruz supporters could always take a leaf out of the Trump supporters guide book. By "affair" what they actually mean is prayer group. He was meant to be praying with his wife but instead prayed with other people who needed help so really what he did was a good thing.

National Enquirer has been right before although it should be taken with a pinch of salt for now. The ones who most support "traditional" marriage are often up to something that goes against it.

Manach wrote: »

Well really since a Democrat Gary Hart had to resign over an affair all candidates are open season. Tbh it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me but if a politician is preaching family values and activity completely different in private, it is hard to argue that the electorate don't need to know. "Do as I say, not as I do".

Similarly if a Democrat was openly for gay marriage but something in his personal life was contrary to that, yes, people deserve to know that to make an informed decision.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Amazingfun wrote: »

#CruzSexScandal is trending at number three on my Twitter at the moment.

• Advertisement

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    John Edwards was punted over a sex scandal in 2008 by the Democratic Party.

People supportive of the Republican Party (or an idea of what they think the GOP is supposed to be) need to stop doing what you're considering doing in the above post - engaging in whataboutery around the actual real dangerous candidates that are dominating the primary voting between them. Your base loves these guys - why? One of them will be your nominee for President - why? To me it is because your party is utterly ****ed from the top down. It's time for smart conservatives who believe in free trade; smaller government and social liberalism to face up to reality and take back your party before its too late.

Taking it back from the brink. I think they've tried this time out but nobody is listening. If they do try and seize it people will feel more disenfranchised and a break up of the party is a real possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,102 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Black Swan wrote: »
    Rather than address serious issues that affect most Americans, along with detailed plans towards resolving these problems, we now have old GQ nude pictures of potential First Lady Melania Trump circulating, and the extraordinary and hypocritical exchange between Cruz and Trump, as well as between their respective supporters, discussing marital infidelity, which occurred for Trump when he was married to 1st wife Ivana Trump while at the same having a relationship with mistress Marla Maples, compared with claims that Cruz has exhibited marital infidelity with up to 5 women, suggesting in the last case that Trump was morally on higher ground than Cruz by virtue of numbers.

Of course once the Republican voters decide on which of the two "infidelity" candidates gets the GOP nomination, odds are good that this infidelity exchange will continue as a major campaign issue, with both Republicans and Democrats comparing and contrasting Trump's history of infidelity with Bill Clinton's infidelity, with one side assuming the higher moral ground while putting down the other. This presidential election has turned into telly episodes of a soap opera.

Speaking of opera this interview got fiery

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-supporter-derails-cnn-segment-by-accusing-fellow-guest-of-having-an-affair-with-ted-cruz/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭vetinari

This Cruz story is the most hilarious political story I've heard in years.
    One of the alleged women being a Trump spokesman just makes it too good to be true though!
    Some of the comments on Twitter about it are brilliant. #CubanMistressCrisis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,762 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

#CubanMistressCrisis
    #CruzSexScandal

Great craic altogether, this primary season just keeps on and on delivering from the sublime to the ridiculous and beyond, and to think it could go all the way to convention. If only Bernie could make some sustained headway against Clinton to keep the Democratic race interesting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Inquitus wrote: »
    If only Bernie could make some sustained headway against Clinton to keep the Democratic race interesting.

The hope that Mr. Saunders has, which tbf he deserves as he has run a clean campaign, is for the FBI to conclude based on the evidence to begin an inditement against Clinton. However, as commentators in the Washington Post state, that the political insider dealings make that unlikely.

"It’s all very discouraging. Election 2016 is taking American politics beyond a new low, entering us into a reality where deceit and deception are assumed."
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-partisan/wp/2016/03/23/deceit-and-power-work-in-hillary-clintons-favor/

vetinari wrote: »
    This Cruz story is the most hilarious political story I've heard in years.
    One of the alleged women being a Trump spokesman just makes it too good to be true though!
    Some of the comments on Twitter about it are brilliant. #CubanMistressCrisis

Topical as well, nice satire!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭embraer170

The official response from Cruz:
    I want to be crystal clear: these attacks are garbage. For Donald J. Trump to enlist his friends at the National Enquirer and his political henchmen to do his bidding shows you that there is no low Donald won’t go.

These smears are completely false, they’re offensive to Heidi and me, they’re offensive to our daughters, and they’re offensive to everyone Donald continues to personally attack.

Donald Trump’s consistently disgraceful behavior is beneath the office we are seeking and we are not going to follow.

He does not straight out deny the possibility of one or more affairs.

Amanda Carpenter (one of the women) gave a similar response on CNN attacking the story and Trump supporters, and suggested the involving lawyers but did not directly deny an affairs.

Katrina Pierson (Trump's spokesperson) talked her way around the issue in a first tweet "What's worse? People who actually believe the trash in tabloids, or the ones who know it's false &spread it anyway? #stupidity on all levels" before being a bit more direct in a second tweet: "Of course the National Enquirer story is 100% FALSE!!! I only speak to myself, however" (the first version of this tweet, which she removed, actually ended with a smilie).

https://twitter.com/KatrinaPierson?ref_src=twsrc^tfw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

K-9 wrote: »
    I listened to a NPR podcast that nailed out, when there are long queues outside booths after polls are supposed to be closed and the election results have been called and reported in the media, it looks terrible, plus it demeans those votes.

It does seem like a drastic cut to booth numbers all to save a few quid.

When you cut the number of polling stations by 70% in a highly populated county (for Arizona) that has a large minority population that looks like voter suppression. Fact is Arizona was one of 9 states that the voting rights act applied to in regards to them needing prior approval from the justice department before they could make any voting/election changes. The supreme court gutted the voting rights acts protections in 2013 and here we are just a few years later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

Inquitus wrote: »
    #CubanMistressCrisis
    #CruzSexScandal

Great craic altogether, this primary season just keeps on and on delivering from the sublime to the ridiculous and beyond, and to think it could go all the way to convention. If only Bernie could make some sustained headway against Clinton to keep the Democratic race interesting.

Well tomorrow will be a big day for Sanders in that regard. If he can win Washington state which has a large delegate count at 101 as well as at least 1 of Alaska and Hawaii then he certainly will have gained some ground in the delegate count and will have gained some momentum given he won 3 of 4 contests earlier this week.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement