Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

LOL, 100% blame the journo as nothing happened, completely politically motivated, sad really

Politically motivated? The journalist worked for Breitbart. A news outlet so allied to the trump campaign that initially they tried to silence the story.

Obviously the campaign manager with anger issues didnt realise who she worked for and just wanted to be rough to a woman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Lisacatlover

The super delegate thing is a non issue. Never voted against the popular vote, never will. Would be giving the general election away. Pledged delegate count will decide.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Mod note:

Posts that only contain a picture or video are below the standards required and will be deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭JPNelsforearm

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Politically motivated? The journalist worked for Breitbart. A news outlet so allied to the trump campaign that initially they tried to silence the story.

Obviously the campaign manager with anger issues didnt realise who she worked for and just wanted to be rough to a woman.
    Nope, the journo and Shapiro were Cruz advocates, they tried to spin the story on Breitbart as an anti Trump piece when it happened, Breitbart said its complete bs, so both left, now that #theCubanMistressCrisis is in full swing this story resurfaces, not hard to join the dots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

From that hashtag I found this blogpost.

It pulls together some sleuthing from the twitterati.

Its quite interesting.... worth a read!

Things should get pretty uncomfortable for Teddy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,378 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I've been following much of that. As you well know - it doesn't matter whether he did it. The fact there is so much smoke damages his campaign.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    I've been following much of that. As you well know - it doesn't matter whether he did it. The fact there is so much smoke damages his campaign.

It's all news to me.... it is saucy though.

At this point, the whole Republican "family-values-christian-who-loves-to-bone-various-other-women" thing is a wonderfully hypocritical cliche.

The only thing going for Ted is that at least it wasn't 5 men!

From that blog post as to why Breitbart didnt break the Cruz story.. Yet Shapiro and the journo are milking and promoting "accost/tug-gate" involving the Trump campaign manager.

"Breitbart owned by pro-Cruz Super-PAC funder Robert Mercer was one of the roadblocks. The editor, Ben Shapiro, also now being named as one of the political advocates who would not allow his chosen candidate to be ‘outed”. Shapiro is also the Editor of The Daily Wire, which is also owned by a Pro-Cruz Super-PAC team, The Wilks Brothers."

"It appears Shapiro buried and blocked the story because he, along with others, didn’t want to see Cruz negatively impacted. Unfortunately, this is brutal confirmation of the type of media bias we have discussed before."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I agree. If it goes to the convention it will undoubtedly be much more contentious.

I think Hillary will clinch the nomination in the next month or so and Bernie will bow out graciously and encourage his supporters to vote for her.

If a large number of his supporters are not Democrats then no doubt they'll go their separate way.

New York will be crucial in terms of the current phase of the Democratic race. Clinton looks favourite in Wisconsin but Sanders will likely close the gap and win Wyoming. The big question will be New York. If Clinton wins a big decisive victory then she is back in the box seat so to speak but if Sanders can repeat what he did in Illinois where he tehnically lost but it was by so small a margin it didn't really make any material difference. Then he is very much alive and in the race and with real momentum.

In terms of Sanders he has been getting a large chunk of his votes from independents in the primaries. Ultimately Independents will decide the election in November so if Clinton and or the Democratic party alienate independent voters they risk losing badly in November which is exactly what they have done in most elections other then presidential elections over the last decade or so with the result the Republicans control both the house and senate and the majority of state legislatures and governorships.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭eire4

LOL, 100% blame the journo as nothing happened, completely politically motivated, sad really

The big problem here for Trump with this incident is that previously his campaign manager said he never even touched her, had never met her and that she was delusional. Trump himself then after the Miami Republican debate claimed she made up the story.

The video clearly shows that both of those statements are lies. That's the problem here for them.

• Advertisement

eire4 wrote: »
    The big problem here for Trump with this incident is that previously his campaign manager said he never even touched her, had never met her and that she was delusional. Trump himself then after the Miami Republican debate claimed she made up the story.

The video clearly shows that both of those statements are lies. That's the problem here for them.

Absolutely, but its the "scale" of the lie/lie by omission, this is a non incident being blown up to try and take the heat off Cruz. If you look at both original statements, where the chick basically claimed she was "assaulted and thrown to the ground" vs "I never saw her", which one is closer to the truth?
    It was such an innocuous encounter its far more likely that he simply forgot it ever occurred, given he has probably been in contact with a thousand people since the "incident". We are talking about a tug on someones sleeve.

this is a non incident being blown up to try and take the heat off Cruz.

Trumps campaign manager being charged with Battery is a non issue?

On a reporter during a campaign event as well, which makes it even more of an issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Absolutely, but its the "scale" of the lie/lie by omission, this is a non incident being blown up to try and take the heat off Cruz. If you look at both original statements, where the chick basically claimed she was "assaulted and thrown to the ground" vs "I never saw her", which one is closer to the truth?
    Hers, it's not even close. As in not remotely close. Not even on the same plain.

If I steal clothes worth 20 Euro, and the shop owner says I stole clothes worth 50 Euro, to which I reply I was never even in the shop in the first place... who do you think the court would side with?
    It was such an innocuous encounter its far more likely that he simply forgot it ever occurred, given he has probably been in contact with a thousand people since the "incident". We are talking about a tug on someones sleeve.
    Now you're doing exactly what you're accusing the journalist of by pretending there was far less contact than there was. Standard.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I'd assume that people would have basic understanding of law that battery can anything from touching a person (Cole 1705). So while the reported might have better luck trying her luck in civil court, any award would be based on damages done which a judge could determine as not that significant.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If you look at both original statements, where the chick basically claimed she was "assaulted and thrown to the ground" vs "I never saw her", which one is closer to the truth?

"The chick". You just exude class with every utterance, don't you?

She didn't claim what you just said she claimed. It seems that even being a Trump supporter triggers pathological lying.

Today there's a storm brewing over Trump's comments in an interview with Chris Matthews where he declares if abortion is made illegal then women should be punished if they're discovered to be seeking one. He hasnt clarified exactly how they are to be punished yet.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    "The chick". You just exude class with every utterance, don't you?

She didn't claim what you just said she claimed. It seems that even being a Trump supporter triggers pathological lying.
    lol, get off your high horse, what century are you living in?

As for her not claiming what I said. She didnt cry, stumble nor was she yanked out of the way, nor could she have bruises, nor did she, in short, she is full of ****.

"stumbled", "yanked out of the way", "tears", "bruises"

"As security parted the masses to give him passage out of the chandelier-lit ballroom, Michelle Fields, a young reporter for Trump-friendly Breitbart News, pressed forward to ask the Republican front-runner a question. I watched as a man with short-cropped hair and a suit grabbed her arm and yanked her out of the way. He was Corey Lewandowski, Trump’s 41-year-old campaign manager.

Fields stumbled. Finger-shaped bruises formed on her arm.

“I’m just a little spooked,” she said, a tear streaming down her face. “No one has grabbed me like that before.”

She took my arm and squeezed it hard. “I don’t even want to do it as hard as he did,” she said, “because it would hurt.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/inside-trumps-inner-circle-his-staffers-are-willing-to-fight-for-him-literally/2016/03/10/4b2b18e8-e660-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?tid=a_inl

I thought Donnie was in favour of allowing abortions?
    Curious about turn.

And the punishment angle is very strange too.... where does he think he is? Ireland a few years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

lol, get off your high horse, what century are you living in?

As for her not claiming what I said. She didnt cry, stumble nor was she yanked out of the way, nor could she have bruises, nor did she, in short, she is full of ****.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/inside-trumps-inner-circle-his-staffers-are-willing-to-fight-for-him-literally/2016/03/10/4b2b18e8-e660-11e5-a6f3-21ccdbc5f74e_story.html?tid=a_inl
    So you did lie.

Before mentioning that 'yanked out of the way' is exactly what happened to her, you lied. And you knew you were lying. And now you're continuing with the lie. You said she had claimed to have been "assaulted and thrown to the ground."

Word search in that link for 'assault': 0
    Word search in that link for 'thrown': 0
    Word search in that link for 'ground': 2

The two uses of the word 'ground'
    - "His role is to stay on top of the ground operations in various states — an area where the Trump campaign was widely regarded as weak before the first primary votes were cast."
    - Clickbait link unrelated to the article, "This groundbreaking technology will soon let us see exactly what’s in our food"

So tell us all, why did you lie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Curious about turn.
    He is - he's just trying to hide any "Democratic" views he has. See also, drug policy.

• Advertisement

He is - he's just trying to hide any "Democratic" views he has. See also, drug policy.

So unnecessary though....

Enda-kenny-esque media stupidity.

His handlers must have known that when he's sitting in front of MSNBC's Chris Matthews Trump was going to be nailed on something like this.

Now he's got the flip-flop of the year nailed to him with no hope of appealing to pro-abortion centrists.

Moronic all round....
    He could do with a new campaign manager!

And on the day that Donald (rightly) calls out NATO for the shambles that it is, the DOD go and announce that they will be deploying an additional armoured brigade to Europe, starting in February next year.... bringing it to 3 brigades in total.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/pentagon-army-brigade-train-eastern-europe/story?id=38026530

He could spin it well and promise to 'bring those boys home'.... he'd be smart to do so.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Given how deep the Democratic party is in intertwined with the Abortion industry, with the near revolving door set up for Planned Parenthood at the WH, then at least Trump differentiates & distances himself from those established interests.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,486 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Curious about turn.

And the punishment angle is very strange too.... where does he think he is? Ireland a few years ago?

Fairly sure he's been vocally anti-choice all the way through the campaign so theres no recent U-turn. (He did have a different opinion xx years ago).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Manach wrote: »
    Given how deep the Democratic party is in intertwined with the Abortion industry, with the near revolving door set up for Planned Parenthood at the WH, then at least Trump differentiates & distances himself from those established interests.

Really painted himself into a corner with that one though. Now he'll have to explain what this punishment should be. Will he jail rape victims who have backstreet abortions? Wouldn't see that going down well with the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

Manach wrote: »

Erm, no. He literally did another one of his flip flops. There's literally no integrity to any of his stances.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Cruz voters can't say he's not pro family and since he long ago ignored the Centrist Democrats and floating voters who may not turn up to vote this year he might as well go all Conservative in their faces. The people that will moan and grumble are the Democrats the GOP will not mind one bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Can we stop the accusations of lying please. Doesn't help trying to keep a halfway civil discussion going!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod hat off.

That's some 180° turn from Trump.

It has repeatedly been reported that he had liberal views on abortion, including an interview with a construction manager who worked for him in New York.

To go to prosecuting a woman for even seeking one sounds like the zealous convert, the sanctimonious ex smoker type!

He'll have to do some spinning in Presidential debates on that one. An "I saw the light" moment!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

K-9 wrote: »
    Mod hat off.

That's some 180° turn from Trump.

It has repeatedly been reported that he had liberal views on abortion, including an interview with a construction manager who worked for him in New York.

To go to prosecuting a woman for even seeking one sounds like the zealous convert, the sanctimonious ex smoker type!

He'll have to do some spinning in Presidential debates on that one. An "I saw the light" moment!

Might have worked for one or 2 things but nearly every stance he had was democratic at one point and all of a sudden he's switched over everything. More clockwork orange with fox news than seeing the light.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement