Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Repeal Obamacare and replace it with something that benefits everybody.
    Donald Trump, wanting to help "everybody". Yeah right.
    Turn off that spigot of sending money to China (in the form of debt payments) by taxing them until they behave properly.
    That's called defaulting, which is a lunatic idea. Look at Greece.
    Renegotiate our foreign trade deals.
    Vague.
    End President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration.
    End border crossings from Mexico by building a secure wall, and have Mexico pay for that wall.
    Not sure how you're going to convince Mexico to do that, especially seeing as you're a massive racist towards them.
    Work hard on the Islamic State problem.
    This is expanded upon later. Stay tuned.
    Stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons.
    They're not trying. Job done!
    Find the General Patton or General MacArthur like military leader from within the U.S. armed forces to make things work better in the Middle East.
    Ah yes, the ISIS problem again. Not sure how someone experienced in land battles and strategy (the two above) would help against a guerilla force. Not to mention that previous invasions of Iraq have been disastrous, to put it lightly.
    Rebuild the country's infrastructure.
    It's not exactly bad as it is.
    Create jobs.
    Vague, nothing statement.
    Save Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security without cuts.
    Don't believe that for a second.
    Protect the Second Amendment.
    It's in the constitution, what does it need to be protected against?
    Take the brand of the United States and make it great again.
    It's not a product, it's a country. It's either another vague statement, or like someone said, a bit fascist-sounding.

And you agree with these Amerika? They're lunacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Wonder if having such a range of candidates could be a smart move for the Republicans, or else they're going to shoot themselves in the foot. The cream will rise to the top, or they'll find it hard to focus on one person with an appealing message.
    What cream?- only sour milk

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭lochderg

Amerika wrote: »
    From what I know so far, here are Trump's plans as president.
    • Repeal Obamacare and replace it with something that benefits everybody.
    • Turn off that spigot of sending money to China (in the form of debt payments) by taxing them until they behave properly.
    • Renegotiate our foreign trade deals.
    • End President Barack Obama's executive actions on immigration.
    • End border crossings from Mexico by building a secure wall, and have Mexico pay for that wall.
    • Work hard on the Islamic State problem.
    • Stop Iran from getting nuclear weapons.
    • Find the General Patton or General MacArthur like military leader from within the U.S. armed forces to make things work better in the Middle East.
    • Rebuild the country's infrastructure.
    • Create jobs.
    • Save Medicaid, Medicare and Social Security without cuts.
    • Protect the Second Amendment.
    • Take the brand of the United States and make it great again.

All sounds pretty good to me, and most resonate well with the voters. Nothing 'crazy' there. Now if he actually has a way to pull most of it off, then he would be worthy of the top spot IMO.
    a lazy assortment of 'man's man' crap and meaningless proposals''work hard on the Islamic problem'?-'protect the 2nd amendment'?-you forgot 'be nice at the breakfast table'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Trumps plan is to stop paying off our debts?

And then taxing China? Until they behave properly? So stopping giving us credit presumably, if we're stopping repayments?

Lunatic.

Good! I think it might be a grand thing if China stopped giving us credit. We then might be able to wean ourselves off our addiction to deficit spending. And according to President Obama, things are wonderful here... He wouldn’t lie to us, would he?

And can Trump's plan on China be accomplished by threatening to stop making interest payments to China, or putting a 25% tax on their products coming into the US, unless they stop manipulating their currency?

Donald Trump, wanting to help "everybody". Yeah right.
    Why not? He believes as people prosper then he prospers off them. That sounds like him, doesn't it?
    That's called defaulting, which is a lunatic idea. Look at Greece.
    See my post above.
    Vague.
    True about being vague, but he is the master of the "deal."
    Not sure how you're going to convince Mexico to do that, especially seeing as you're a massive racist towards them.

I think it could be accomplished trough a mixture of three possibilities... 1) Cut out some foreign aid given to them. 2) Renegotiate trade deals more favorable to the us than it is to them and utilize some of it towards the wall. 3) Invoke national security concerns through Executive Action and stop/confiscate the flow and transfers of money people make back to Mexico. And hey... We all love Executive Action over here these days, right?
    This is expanded upon later. Stay tuned.
    Don't touch that dial? ;)
    They're not trying. Job done!
    Sure they are. And we're now helping them to accomplish it.
    Ah yes, the ISIS problem again. Not sure how someone experienced in land battles and strategy (the two above) would help against a guerilla force. Not to mention that previous invasions of Iraq have been disastrous, to put it lightly.
    What do you think Patton or MacArthur's solution to ISIS would be? I remember reading that after WWII ended in Europe, the US Army was sometimes fired on by holdouts. The SOP when it happened was for the army to back up and shelled the town off the map. All resistance soon ended with no support given from the locals.
    It's not exactly bad as it is.
    I assume you are not from the US. Our infrastructure is in the pits. Our roads are in disrepair and can't handle the traffic flow, our bridges are falling apart and our electrical grid is laughable.
    Vague, nothing statement.
    True, but he has proven he can create jobs.
    Don't believe that for a second.
    Maybe not, but he's the only one willing to address the massive problem of our entitlements.
    It's in the constitution, what does it need to be protected against?
    The assault from the Left for starters.
    It's not a product, it's a country. It's either another vague statement, or like someone said, a bit fascist-sounding.
    Why then does everyone come running to the US whenever problems arise... looking for help, if it is just a country? Not very fascist sounding.
    And you agree with these Amerika? They're lunacy.
    Some, but not all. And it's better than anything anyone else has proposed. But how about enlightening us to the plans for the country from the candidate you think should become our next POTUS.

• Advertisement

lochderg wrote: »
    a lazy assortment of 'man's man' crap and meaningless proposals''work hard on the Islamic problem'?-'protect the 2nd amendment'?-you forgot 'be nice at the breakfast table'
    But his plans resonate with much of the electorate, and what has propelled him to number two in NH without spending a dime.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

But his plans resonate with much of the electorate, and what has propelled him to number two in NH without spending a dime.

Do you think he's a serious contender?

20Cent wrote: »
    Do you think he's a serious contender?

If I had to answer that today, I would say NO. But he could become one, as stranger things have happened in US politics (ie. Jimmy Carter & Barack Obama this early in the process). But what I think he brings to the elections process that is much needed is the forcing of candidates to actually take positions on matters that are important to the US citizens. And he could help to curtail all the non-answer answers our politicians have become so fond of in recent times.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Please stop calling them "plans", they're not plans unless there some actual detail on making them reality.

What they are is talking points that appeal to the base.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    Please stop calling them "plans", they're not plans unless there some actual detail on making them reality.

What they are is talking points that appeal to the base.

Then by your definition, I guess no candidate has any plans on what is good for America. Right? And we should vote for them purely on 'faith?' :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Then by your definition, I guess no candidate has any plans on what is good for America. Right? And we should vote for them purely on 'faith?' :confused:

Unless they provide detailed analysis, then no.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump is unelectable. Although I think it would be funny if he got the nomination because then we could all watch him get humiliated by Hillary.

What do people make of Bernie Sanders? I don't America is quite ready for him yet, realistically he isn't going to win the nomination this time around. He isn't a young man, I'm not so sure he'd be capable of running again in 5 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

I wonder where the funding for updating US infrastructure will come from under a Trump administration.

There are a number of things on the list that would cost a ton of money, with (in the post is an accurate reflection) no indication where that would come from. Or that represent themselves as a means of saving money, that would not. Or that are solving the entirely wrong problem. Or actively making matters worse. Or that are vague to the point of madness.

Best thing to do with the list is play Bingo with it to see which item manages most of these things all at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

MadYaker wrote: »
    What do people make of Bernie Sanders? I don't America is quite ready for him yet
    "Ready for him," - more Americans recognize Trump from television than for his actual comments or competency. In turn, most Americans have probably never heard of Bernie Sanders or if they have they have no idea who he is. A populace unarmed with knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

alaimacerc wrote: »
    There are a number of things on the list that would cost a ton of money, with (in the post is an accurate reflection) no indication where that would come from.

Thats what US politics is like. They never have to go into much detail. Vague pronouncements are the norm.

Thanks to a news media that is beholdent to the politicians and unable to ask follow up questions.

Interviewer: What are your plans as president?
    Candidate: I'll end unemployment
    Interviewer: Oh thats great, what else?
    Candidate: I'll fix immigration
    Interviewer: Brilliant.

This is how interviews go on US tv.

An "interview" is merely a way for a politician to get is message out. Its not an interrogation of the politician at all.

Its a difficult pill to swallow coming from Europe. You end up yelling at the tv a lot. wtf??

Thats what US politics is like. They never have to go into much detail. Vague pronouncements are the norm.

Thanks to a news media that is beholdent to the politicians and unable to ask follow up questions.

Interviewer: What are your plans as president?
    Candidate: I'll end unemployment
    Interviewer: Oh thats great, what else?
    Candidate: I'll fix immigration
    Interviewer: Brilliant.

This is how interviews go on US tv.

An "interview" is merely a way for a politician to get is message out. Its not an interrogation of the politician at all.

Its a difficult pill to swallow coming from Europe. You end up yelling at the tv a lot. wtf??

That's how the mainstream media interviews Democrats (well, Democrats that espouse the media's ideologies, anyway). And it's more like the Spanish Inquisition when it comes to interviewing Republicans.

That's how the mainstream media interviews Democrats (well, Democrats that espouse the media's ideologies, anyway). And it's more like the Spanish Inquisition when it comes to interviewing Republicans.

Conservative Talk Radio is usually happy to circle jerk republican candidates, so it balances out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Overheal wrote: »
    Conservative Talk Radio is usually happy to circle jerk republican candidates, so it balances out.

Yeah, and the electorate as a whole ends up with no insight whatsoever into any candidates program for government. I enjoy listening to Irish politicians getting grilled on Irish TV and radio. Does the USA have an equivalent of Vincent Brown?

Au contraire mon ami. Perhaps conservative pundits might be when talking about Republicans, but I’ve seen interviews conducted with politicians on Fox News. They’re tougher on Republicans than they are on Democrats. Seems they try too hard at times with that “fair and balanced” thing.

And "Balanced out?" What's the rate now? Something like 10% pro Republican media versus 90% pro Democratic media. Although listening to the quality of news on the more liberal outlets, I'd call that a fair fight. :)

That's how the mainstream media interviews Democrats ...blah blah blah blah...

Nothing even connected to the republican party can do any wrong at all in your eyes can they?

The perfect Fox News viewer. If they tell you they're fair and balanced then they must be right? And of course Fox News isnt the "mainstream" media!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!

:pac:

• Advertisement

And they'll keep parroting how they're not the "mainstream" media, whilst being exactly that.

George Orwell wouldn't have believe it.

:eek:

Something like 10% pro Republican media versus 90% pro Democratic media.

Nonsense.

Cant you add a link at least like a normal poster would, otherwise its just garbage isnt it? You're just making numbers up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

We're not getting any policy detail now. We won't hear what's in the execution for some time.

I commented a few months back about a Meet the Press interview with Rand Paul, I described it then as softball drivel. Expect more of this regardless of political stripe.

Even without considering him that seriously, about all that's missing from Trump's kites is a plan to take down Bigfoot.

I commented a few months back about a Meet the Press interview with Rand Paul, I described it then as softball drivel. Expect more of this regardless of political stripe.

Exactly. Thats the norm too. Its been like that for at least twenty years and i''m sure it didnt start when I got off the boat. A political interview in the USA is an opportunity for the politician to get the word out. That is all it is. The interviewers are far more worried about upsetting the politican and not having future access.

Its striking the lack of follow up questions. If anyone from outside the US is expecting an actual "interview" they'd be mistaken.

And then you have the right wing republican Fox News viewers who live in their own made up world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Mod:

Can we up the standard of posts a little. The last few are more politics cafe style posts, less of the mocking and more substance please!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

To be fair, the last couple of Presidential announcements have been pretty Cafe-grade themselves!

On media bias, I imagine some people might have a good-faith belief that 90% of the US media is vaguely "left". (For sufficiently rightist ideas about where the "centre" is.) But surely everyone would have to agree that last 10% (or so) is very, very, very "right" indeed -- and openly and unashamedly so.

AThey’re tougher on Republicans than they are on Democrats. Seems they try too hard at times with that “fair and balanced” thing.

Unless you're talking about Sarah Palin back in 2008 or so, then yeah, but that was a very special case. Also, that's because some Republicans are so far off base that they are practically indefensible, like Dick Cheney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »

I'm guessing he'll never go much about the 15% support he already has.

Although look at the last two general elections, you can never underestimate the Republicans ability to be completely out of touch with the electorate.

• Advertisement

Although look at the last two general elections, you can never underestimate the Republicans ability to be completely out of touch with the electorate.
    The electorate seems to be pretty far out of touch with reality, too, though. Dissociative race condition!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement