Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 US Presidential Race - Mod Warning in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

alaimacerc wrote: »
    The electorate seems to be pretty far out of touch with reality, too, though. Dissociative race condition!

All 48% of them too.

I blame the lack of a functioning press.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ted Cruz kicked off NYT bestseller list for buying thousands of copies of his own book lol.

http://www.salon.com/2015/07/10/conservatives_howl_as_ny_times_calls_out_ted_cruz_for_trying_to_cheat_his_way_onto_bestseller_list/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

the next president

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

nokia69 wrote: »
    the next president

Don't be saying these things, even in jest. There's a fine line between "satire" and "normalisation".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,825 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hostages back in an hour though. That's faster than Amazon

• Advertisement

alaimacerc wrote: »
    Don't be saying these things, even in jest. There's a fine line between "satire" and "normalisation".

a week ago I thought he was a total joke with zero chance of winning, but now I think he is going to cause serious problems for Bush, if I was a Republican voter the Donald would have my vote

thats an excellent speech he gave, he talked for an hour with out notes or a teleprompter, some of his lines were classic

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Madd Finn

Wonder if having such a range of candidates could be a smart move for the Republicans....... The cream will rise to the top

Cream? Yeah. Rich and thick.

Sounds like you're predicting a Trump nomination. :)

Madd Finn wrote: »
    this sentence sounds like it should be followed by a very big "BUT....."

as in "BUT I have a brain so I would never vote for a Republican"
    or "BUT I can't bothered to vote in the presidential elections because whoever gets in will be an asshole anyway"

or whatever.

Why aren't you a republican voter?

well if I was a Democrat I would vote for Sanders and I can understand why he has growing support

I look at Bush and Clinton and I wonder why anyone votes for them, more so with Bush, why would anyone want another Bush in the white house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,712 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

why would anyone want another Bush in the white house

oh wait till voting day and you ll see how many would like to see that!

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    oh wait till voting day and you ll see how many would like to see that!

its very possible

if its Clinton v Bush, Bush has a good chance, people don't really like Hillary

• Advertisement

its very possible

if its Clinton v Bush, Bush has a good chance, people don't really like Hillary

thats true actually and very worrying if so

Madd Finn wrote: »
    You can't seriously think that sane adults would vote for a monstrous buffoon like Trump? I mean come on. Give the Yanks some credit. They were never going to vote for that bimbo airhead Palin either.

oh wait for voting day! he ll get votes alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I look at Bush and Clinton and I wonder why anyone votes for them, more so with Bush, why would anyone want another Bush in the white house
    Because this is the first Bush that actually has an IQ higher than the average American?

Seriously though Clinton is a red flag to republicans and they would vote for Satan reborn over a Clinton basically. I'm not quite sure why though as Clinton are way more centric then let's say Obama is and way more pragmatic on making deals etc. then a true "idealist" Democrat would ever be. Part of it could simply be that they moved that much further to the right because the original reasons claimed (i.e. she should not have forgiven him etc.) don't really play out these days with the number of senators, preachers etc. caught with their pants down humping someone (usually a guy) and still being allowed to be forgiven.

In the end the US vote is usually coming down to the economy and who ever can show a reasonable plan in that area is the likely candidate no matter the side of the fence. The reason is simply that the hard core votes will not change and both candidates will be singing a centric tune for the swing votes and they tend to care about the economy. By standard rules the Republicans should have a stronger stand (two years of Democratic presidents) but if they fumble by putting forward a poor candidate such as Trump (he's fun to listen to but I don't think he'll be taken seriously by the centrist swing votes required to win) they'll lose what should be a relatively easy win.

trump is a scary candidate though. could you imagine him in negotiations with a foreign government over something as serious as isis or something like that? jasus!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    trump is a scary candidate though. could you imagine him in negotiations with a foreign government over something as serious as isis or something like that? jasus!
    Well he can't be worse than Bush was; besides as president he'd have his foreign secretary to deal with that anyway (honestly he's smart enough to pander the local voters but if he was successful I'm sure he'd had a good team around him).

Nody wrote: »
    Well he can't be worse than Bush was; besides as president he'd have his foreign secretary to deal with that anyway (honestly he's smart enough to pander the local voters but if he was successful I'm sure he'd had a good team around him).

and this is where i get proper scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭Amerika

Nody wrote: »

If foreign affairs is what worries you, then it would be Hillary Clinton that should scare you and not Donald Trump. Trump actually has had successful international dealings. Obama’s foreign relations and dealings have been horrendous, and Hillary Clinton as his Secretary of State accomplished virtually nothing. And from what Clinton has put out their, her reign would essentially be an Obama third term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Amerika wrote: »
    If foreign affairs is what worries you, then it would be Hillary Clinton that should scare you and not Donald Trump. Trump actually has had successful international dealings. Obama’s foreign relations and dealings have been horrendous, and Hillary Clinton as his Secretary of State accomplished virtually nothing. And from what Clinton has put out their, her reign would essentially be an Obama third term.

If by successful you mean that he's managed to p*ss off everyone pretty much everywhere he went, then yeah...successful...

He's so successful, they even decided to make a movie about his great success in Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Trump's going to be nowhere near the presidency. He'll either say something stupid and the entire republican establishment (including Fox News) will turn on him or else he'll just back down when things are getting serious. As for Clinton she's a whole lot more popular among republicans than some on here think. A lot of social conservatives who would usually vote republican would find Clinton palatable if the republican candidate was not up to scratch. Clinton would probably make a lot of the south a fair bit closer.

If by successful you mean that he's managed to p*ss off everyone pretty much everywhere he went, then yeah...successful...

He's so successful, they even decided to make a movie about his great success in Scotland.
    In all dealings you're bound to p*ss a few people off and experience a few failures. Look at some of his international property holdings. Pretty impressive, eh? You don't think massive amounts of negotiations were needed to get these things built (or purchased) and operated?

http://www.trump.com/Real_Estate_Portfolio/Real_Estate_Portfolio/Real_Estate_Portfolio.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

In all dealings you're bound to p*ss a few people off and experience a few failures. Look at some of his international property holdings. Pretty impressive, eh? You don't think massive amounts of negotiations were needed to get these things built (or purchased) and operated?

Not necessarily, there are plenty of multi-millionaires out there with business interests all over the world who haven't got the toxic profile that Trump seems to have. He's a rich man and well done to him for his success there, but he is a complete gobsh*te and the vast majority of people this side and the other side of the Atlantic agree with me.

The man is toxic for the Republicans at the moment, and the amount of GOP candidates squirming to distance themselves from him is hilarious. Hillary is laughing her head off at the moment because the spotlight is gone from her email controversy, Benghazi and whatever mud the Republicans want to sling at her.

Not necessarily, there are plenty of multi-millionaires out there with business interests all over the world who haven't got the toxic profile that Trump seems to have. He's a rich man and well done to him for his success there, but he is a complete gobsh*te and the vast majority of people this side and the other side of the Atlantic agree with me.
    True, many haven't got the toxic profile, but Trump enjoys notoriety and the bad comes with the good.

And there are many that like him, and what he has to say, especially dealing with illegal aliens in the US.
    The man is toxic for the Republicans at the moment, and the amount of GOP candidates squirming to distance themselves from him is hilarious. Hillary is laughing her head off at the moment because the spotlight is gone from her email controversy, Benghazi and whatever mud the Republicans want to sling at her.
    Trump is a blessing for Hillary Clinton and for Jeb Bush. Politically speaking, they both need to come out now swinging against Trump, in order to steal the limelight he has captivated. If they don't act now, it will only hurt them later as his poll numbers continue to climb, and as his positions will force them to deal with topics they would rather be non-responsive on.

Clinton and Bush can just ignore Trump he is a sideshow and doing a great job of destroying himself. The only thing Trump didn't inherit from his daddy was a filter between his brain and mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,953 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

In all dealings you're bound to p*ss a few people off and experience a few failures.

5,000 people isn't "a few": http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/victims-trump-school-scam-ag-article-1.1503350

20Cent wrote: »
    Clinton and Bush can just ignore Trump he is a sideshow and doing a great job of destroying himself. The only thing Trump didn't inherit from his daddy was a filter between his brain and mouth.

The Donald is now tied in the polls with Bush, in some polls he is ahead :D

But Trump keeps rising in the polls? Doesn't sound to me like he's "doing a great job of destroying himself."

But Trump keeps rising in the polls? Doesn't sound to me like he's "doing a great job of destroying himself."

I can guarantee you he won't get anywhere near the nomination never mind the White House. It's all just publicity and feeding his ego.

See his latest gaff Nazi soldiers in his logo lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/donald-trump-posts-image-of-nazi-waffenss-troops-in-front-of-white-house-continues-to-lead-the-field-of-republican-candidates-10389530.html

Ha, thats a classic, reminds me of when UKIP were publishing some Best of British dribble and they used pictures of the Polish airforces spitfires...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Trump is the face of the Republican Party right now.

Funny.

• Advertisement

I can guarantee you he won't get anywhere near the nomination never mind the White House. It's all just publicity and feeding his ego.

forget the gaff, it won't make any difference

he has a very good chance of winning the nomination, millions of Americans in both parties will vote for him if he promises to build a wall along the Mexican boarder

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement